PDA

View Full Version : Belkar finally gets a class feature

Souju
2008-02-13, 01:13 PM
Mr. Scruffy is now Belkar's animal companion.
discuss

Kaelaroth
2008-02-13, 01:15 PM
Yes. Hasn't this already been established?

Atelm
2008-02-13, 01:48 PM
It was pretty much confirmed the moment Belkar called for Mr. Scruffy to follow him to the secret tunnel (instead of using him as a distraction for Tsukiko).

ShellBullet
2008-02-13, 04:18 PM
I am surprised that people are talking more about belkar getting a class feature rather than talking about belkar showing compassion for another being...

MandibleBones
2008-02-13, 04:20 PM
I am surprised that people are talking more about belkar getting a class feature rather than talking about belkar showing compassion for another being...

As a class feature, killing Mr. Scruffy doesn't really gain Belkar any XP - furthermore, Belkar has already discussed his amusement with the "Wacky Old Dude With The Cat."

It's not compassion, it's "this makes my shriveled little black heart sing with maniacal glee." :)

Spiryt
2008-02-13, 04:29 PM

I'm not suprised at all. From some reason people assume that CE creature must be completely without feelings.

Belkar is quite a good companion when he isn't trying to kll you :smallbiggrin:

Bayar
2008-02-13, 04:32 PM
Cats have (and if they dont, they should have) good CHA modifiers...they are like bards (except for the annoying and singing part).

Who would ever want to hurt a cat ???

souless people...and Belkar has a soul.

ShellBullet
2008-02-13, 04:32 PM
It's not compassion, it's "this makes my shriveled little black heart sing with maniacal glee." :)

I don't think that is it.
While compassion might have been too strong term to descripe Belkar and scruffy realitionship, however Belkar attempts to take care of mister scruffy...

It's almost that it looks like normal pet and owner realitionship...

Edit: Jus how many people can post while I am writing a response?

I'm not suprised at all. From some reason people assume that CE creature must be completely without feelings.

Belkar is quite a good companion when he isn't trying to kll you

I meant feelings besides joy of killing, anger and such other negative feelings. Also Belkar is displaying almost healthy caring realitionship with Mr scruffy and Belkar hasn't never displayed such realitionship with anyone else...

factotum
2008-02-13, 05:10 PM
Belkar is quite a good companion when he isn't trying to kll you :smallbiggrin:

Which is approximately never, unfortunately... :smallamused:

Green Bean
2008-02-13, 05:36 PM
I meant feelings besides joy of killing, anger and such other negative feelings. Also Belkar is displaying almost healthy caring realitionship with Mr scruffy and Belkar hasn't never displayed such realitionship with anyone else...

Remember, Mr. Scruffy is a cat. Belkar's just happy there's someone else in the Order with his alignment. :smalltongue:

de-trick
2008-02-13, 05:41 PM
(except for the annoying and singing part).

cats are annoying though

Green Bean
2008-02-13, 06:01 PM
cats are annoying though

You know, that seems a little hypocritical with your avatar. :smallbiggrin:

Strengfellow
2008-02-13, 06:48 PM
Remember, Mr. Scruffy is a cat. Belkar's just happy there's someone else in the Order with his alignment. :smalltongue:

I fully concur.

Cats like foxes will enter a killing frenzy readily killing more than they can eat, and then when they are full they will torment anything left alive until the urge to sleep gets the better of them.

Just like our beloved Mr B.

Pip
2008-02-13, 07:05 PM
Remember, Mr. Scruffy is a cat. Belkar's just happy there's someone else in the Order shorter than him. :smalltongue:

FYP :smallbiggrin:

Roderick_BR
2008-02-13, 07:05 PM
This show a new range of Belkar's emotions towards other creatures: Amusement. Or he lusts, or wants to kill, or is amused by a creature.

If someone try to make a joke about Belkar having other emotion towards that cat will mean that the gods want us to kill said person "slash slash slash" :smalltongue:

TroyXavier
2008-02-13, 07:06 PM
Lots of predators get into a killing frenzy. The real pleasure is in the killing, while the meal is a bonus. That does sound like Belkar (Killing is the fun, treasure is the bonus)

Zeitgeist
2008-02-13, 07:11 PM

Wanting to find a fish for scruffy is like a fighter wanting to sharpen his sword. It's not compassion, it's nothing more deep than keeping a weapon in keen shape would be.

Just imagine a psychotic murderer in a dark corner silently sharpening his knife. That's Belkar and Mr. Scruffy.

Souju
2008-02-13, 08:15 PM
Wanting to find a fish for scruffy is like a fighter wanting to sharpen his sword. It's not compassion, it's nothing more deep than keeping a weapon in keen shape would be.

Just imagine a psychotic murderer in a dark corner silently sharpening his knife. That's Belkar and Mr. Scruffy.

the image of belkar sitting there slowly petting Mr. Scruffy with a menacing look on his face is too awesome for mere words

Green-Shirt Q
2008-02-13, 08:33 PM
This is funny and all, but it won't last forever.

There are probably approximitly 500 strips left in the series, you don't expect the cat to be in all of them do you?

Mr. Scruffy will meet with an unfortuate accident. I just know it. I don't like it any more then you do, but it's true.

How do I know this? I'm the Q, I know everything.

VetMichael
2008-02-13, 09:28 PM
This show a new range of Belkar's emotions towards other creatures: Amusement. Or he lusts, or wants to kill, or is amused by a creature.

If someone try to make a joke about Belkar having other emotion towards that cat will mean that the gods want us to kill said person "slash slash slash" :smalltongue:

Does this mean that Belkar is evolving as a character? That he has added dimension? That his heart grew three sizes the day he met Mr. Scruffy?

Lizard Lord
2008-02-13, 09:40 PM
Does this mean that Belkar is evolving as a character? That he has added dimension? That his heart grew three sizes the day he met Mr. Scruffy?

No:smallamused:

Belkar finally gets a class feature Doesn't his free duel-wielding count?

Who would ever want to hurt a cat ???

souless people...and Belkar has a soul.
Since when?:smallwink:

KindaChang
2008-02-13, 09:54 PM

I think it means he wants to grow up to be just like his mental image of Shojo. Manipulating people into doing whatever he wants them to do, and he connects the cat with Shojo.

John Campbell
2008-02-13, 10:42 PM
Belkar figured out some time ago that ordering another being to kill things for him doesn't set off the mark of justice. He's now recalled that, as a ranger, he's actually entitled to a being that follows his orders.

Souju
2008-02-14, 01:52 AM
Doesn't his free duel-wielding count?

sorta
but so far as we know, dual wield and no alignment restrictions were the only reasons belkar became a ranger:
His wisdom is abysmal
He has no points in Survival
We're not even sure what he took as a favored enemy (though it's clearly not undead, and most likely goblinoids)

DarkEternal
2008-02-14, 06:19 AM
sorta
but so far as we know, dual wield and no alignment restrictions were the only reasons belkar became a ranger:
His wisdom is abysmal
He has no points in Survival
We're not even sure what he took as a favored enemy (though it's clearly not undead, and most likely goblinoids)

Kobolds probably.

TroyXavier
2008-02-14, 07:17 AM
We know he also has evasion. He just doesn't USE most of his class features.

Bayar
2008-02-14, 07:23 AM
cats are not evil...just look at me !

*meows and makes cat face :3 *

Does that look evil to you ?

And we know Belkar has a soul, since we know he is going to die...and his soul will likely end up on the wrong side of hell, slashing and hacking demonic minions for XP...

fluffybunny
2008-02-14, 11:20 AM
Mr Scruffy allows Belkar new and painful ways to humiliate / kill people.
That alone is worth getting an animal companion! Atleast for Belkar

Besides, wouldn't "the real power" to the throne follow someone from OOTS like Belkar? Atleast until the finish off Xykon :smallsmile:

Egrutz
2008-02-14, 12:52 PM
Evil geniuses have often had cats. Look at Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget, Gargamel (sp?) from the Smurfs, Dr. Evil from Austin Powers (or the Bond villian Blofield that inspired Dr. Evil). Do a web image search for Blofield and tell me that if you gave Belkar a monacle and sat Mr. Scruffy on his lap he wouldn't look just like Blofield.

Lizard Lord
2008-02-14, 01:06 PM
And we know Belkar has a soul, since we know he is going to die...and his soul will likely end up on the wrong side of hell, slashing and hacking demonic minions for XP...

I have problem for you to solve.

:smallwink: =?

Do you know the answer?

It ussually means someone is kidding.

:smallwink:

Healer Hobo
2008-02-14, 06:54 PM
Wait... if Belkar's mind has only Lust and Hate files, and he obviously doesn't hate Scruffy, then what happened? Did Belkar's mind warp horribly to confront this new feeling? Or is there alot more going on between Belkster and Mr. Scruffy then we realize?:smalleek:

Demented
2008-02-14, 07:04 PM
V was wrong.
QED

=P

bibliophile
2008-02-17, 10:25 PM
I must agree, he certainly does care for the cat; he spent most of a strip trying to get him some fish, effort we've never seen him expend for anyone but himself.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 11:23 PM
I must agree, he certainly does care for the cat; he spent most of a strip trying to get him some fish, effort we've never seen him expend for anyone but himself.

Unless of course you count trying to give other people pain.

Quorothorn
2008-02-17, 11:25 PM
V was wrong.
QED

=P

Pretty much.

I mean, Elan already presented a problem to that hypothesis: now Mr. Scruffy adds another stumbling block.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-18, 12:25 AM
Pretty much.

I mean, Elan already presented a problem to that hypothesis: now Mr. Scruffy adds another stumbling block.

Right, Belkar does act quite friendly with him.

Souju
2008-02-18, 02:46 AM
Wait... if Belkar's mind has only Lust and Hate files, and he obviously doesn't hate Scruffy, then what happened? Did Belkar's mind warp horribly to confront this new feeling? Or is there alot more going on between Belkster and Mr. Scruffy then we realize?:smalleek:

perhaps V forgot to take his/her own androgyny into account when making that assertion about Belkar's brain.
"Lust" for males or objects probably just means the same as "Respect" or "This dude's cool" for everyone else.
Mr. Scruffy is a MALE cat and thus doesn't get the actual Lust rule applied, the same goes for Shojo, Elan, and probably Durkon (does anyone actually hate Durkon? 0_o)
V's gender is constantly up for debate, so Belkar's brain filed it under BOTH categories and...well...got smashed.