PDA

View Full Version : scandinavians in the playground

Narmoth
2008-02-13, 03:33 PM
so, I know we aren't many, but I would like to know who on this forum are from Scandinavia.
Scandinavia is defined by me (and me alone) to consist of not only the strictyl geographical area of Norway + Sweden, but also of Danemark, as it's inhabitants speak a form of the norse language, and Finland, who share much of the modern culture, mainly the social-liberal goverment model with social security and basic health care for everyone.
Iceland and Foroyar (the Faraoe icelands) because of the shared cultural heritage and language derived from norse.

so, if you are from Danemark, the Faroe icelands, Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden pleace post here!

Narmoth
2008-02-13, 03:34 PM
Narmoth:
Tromso, in the northern part of Norway

Spiryt
2008-02-13, 03:41 PM
Well, my Dad works in Norway, but I'm not sure if it counts :smallwink:

I was there once an it's kinda cool place. Beautiful nature with atmosphere. Scandinavians have also great music.

Those are proverbial two copper pieces of Notscandinavian.

Shikton
2008-02-13, 03:52 PM
Oslo, Norway.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-13, 04:14 PM
Not strictly Scandinavian, but I got Norwegian anscestors. (I think that accounts for about 1/8 my heritage.) Of course, that's all direct male lineage, so in those severely outmoded patriarchial lines of thought, that's what counts. :smalltongue:

Though for the most part, this only manifests itself as a taste for lefse and a tendency to think, "Dude, whatever those Norskes are doing, it rocks!" So I don't know if it really counts for much.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-13, 04:29 PM
well, im not scandinavian, but i wish i was, and i am intending to live there after i finnish my education :smallsmile:

i have been there loads, its great. and not a single chav :smallbiggrin:

Trog
2008-02-13, 05:52 PM
*raises hand*

Mostly of Danish descent here. And... hmm... I'm a graphic designer. Which, I have to say, seems to be one of the things that the Danish seem to excel at for some reason. Or at least in the creation of design software and such. Plus you gotta like the Scandinavians for interior design. And for their women. ;-)

But there's no way in hell I'm eating Lutefisk. Naaaaaasty. :smalltongue:

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-13, 05:54 PM
well, im not scandinavian, but i wish i was, and i am intending to live there after i finnish my education :smallsmile:

Please say that was a type and not a horrible, horrible pun :smalltongue:

Strictly speaking, I'm not Scandinavian, but I'm about 1/8th Norwegian myself, just like Shhalahr Windrider. Spookily enough, it's also through a direct male line.

I also have family in Denmark - my dad's sister married a Danish man and move there with him, so I have a born-and-bred Scandinavian uncle and cousin. I love their sense of humour - it's very quirky. I'm not sure if that type of humour is common, but if it is, Scandinavian people rule :smallsmile:

Oh, and any country that loves hockey (I'm thinking of Sweden and Finland in particular) is okay in my books.

Gitman00
2008-02-13, 08:37 PM
Yep, I'm pretty Norwegian. Great Grandparents were immigrants to the USA.

But there's no way in hell I'm eating Lutefisk. Naaaaaasty. :smalltongue:

Heh. That's an annual Christmas torture tradition for my family.

Metal Head
2008-02-13, 08:56 PM
I'm Italian, Irish, Polish, Austrian, and Scottish. But in no way am I Scandinavian. Technically I shouldn't be posting. I need to start a "People with too many nationalities in the playground" thread.

zeratul
2008-02-13, 08:58 PM
I've got Swedish blood in me. I hope to move to Scandinavia one day.

RTGoodman
2008-02-13, 09:05 PM
Well, I'm not entirely sure of my heritage (way too mixed to know for sure), but I relatively certain there's no Scandinavian in there. However, I am going to be learning (or attempting to learn) Icelandic sooner or later (mostly so I can transition easily to Old Norse), so that's gotta count for something.

Oh, and if you haven't seen it, you might want to check out the Where Are You in the Playground? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49823) thread.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-13, 10:07 PM
I'm Italian, Irish, Polish, Austrian, and Scottish. But in no way am I Scandinavian. Technically I shouldn't be posting. I need to start a "People with too many nationalities in the playground" thread.

Heh, if you start that thread, I'll post in it - I definitely qualify.

Shademan
2008-02-14, 02:56 AM
Northern norway!
and daggit it is cold here! you southerns cry: FIMBULVINTER! when you get 2cm snow but we have like 15cm now! >8D

Serpentine
2008-02-14, 04:53 AM
I saw a Scandinavian vampire movie the other night. Does that count? 'Twere called Frostbitten.

Zombie pixe
2008-02-14, 06:21 AM
typo, im not that bad!!! :smalltongue:

Dihan
2008-02-14, 06:31 AM
My dad has worked a lot in Stavanger, Norway.

Narmoth
2008-02-14, 06:38 AM
to sum up, those actually living in Scandinavia of the posters til now:
-Narmoth
-Shikton
-Shademan

I also know that Maryring is from Norway. But that's all

Serpentine
2008-02-14, 06:51 AM
From the Where In the Playground Are You? thread.

Finland
.........= Helsinki - SoD
.........= Turku/Helsinki - Fredricus

Netherlands
...= Gelderland
.........= Wageningen - T'ze'hai
...= Noord Brabant
.........= Schijndel - YPU
...= Noord Holland
.........= Amsterdam - Dragonfoxfly
.........= Amsterdam - Simius
...= Overijssel
.........= Deventer - Lord Herman
...= Utrecht
.........= Utrecht - Cyborg Pirate
...= Zuid Holland
.........= Dondrecht - dallas-dakota
.........= Delft - Cyborg Pirate
.........= The Hague - Ichneumon
.........= Wassenaar - Vargtass

Norway
...= Hordaland
.........= Bergen - Maryring
...= Oslo
.........= Oslo - Ceres
...= Troms
.........= Tromsø - Narmoth

Switzerland
.........= Zürich - Ashtar

Quincunx
2008-02-14, 07:19 AM
*marches through the thread with a Ketchup Does Not Belong On Pasta sign*
*marches through in the opposite direction - reverse side reads Married to a Swede Who Is Not in the Playground, but Gets to Hear the Juicy Bits Anyway*

Narmoth
2008-02-14, 09:57 AM
Serp, that information is a bit outdated. Bu yes, since I've posted there, I have to have been aware of the existence of such a thread.

Maryring
2008-02-14, 11:35 AM
Yeah, here comes a real Scandinavian. Though you disappoint me Narmoth. Certainly, you know that Bergen is it's own country. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, yeah, me, Maryring, comes true from Bergen, which some fools claim to be a part of Norway. :smalltongue:

Jonesh
2008-02-14, 11:56 AM
And here comes another!
Scania, Sweden here. One of the most populous counties in Sweden. Also, there is, and have always been a lot of farmland here (pretty much like Denmark). There might be a correlation :smalltongue:
Although I must say I'm as urban as one can be here in Sweden, land of forests and polarbears :smallamused:

Shikton
2008-02-14, 11:57 AM
Yeah, here comes a real Scandinavian. Though you disappoint me Narmoth. Certainly, you know that Bergen is it's own country. :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, yeah, me, Maryring, comes true from Bergen, which some fools claim to be a part of Norway. :smalltongue:

Bergen. Meh. All you have is acid rain and fish. :P And Brann.

Narmoth
2008-02-14, 12:29 PM
and bands like Vulture Industries and Immortal
if it weren't for that, we'd kick you out long ago

KuReshtin
2008-02-14, 06:53 PM
One thing I don't get about replies in threads like these is the fact that it posts a very specific question (Are you Scandinavian?) and a lot of people who have nothing to do with the Scansdinavian countries feel compelled to answer, claiming some irrelevant made-up tie to the countries (I read about one of the countries mentioned in a book once), just to feel validated...

So what if your great-great grandfather was from Norway? That doesn't make *you* Norwegian. That makes your great-great grandfather Norwegian, and I'd bet that he's not registered as a Playground forum member.

Me? I'm Swedish born and bred (Kalmar, Småland). Currently residing in Scotland, though.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-14, 09:25 PM
So what if your great-great grandfather was from Norway? That doesn't make *you* Norwegian. That makes your great-great grandfather Norwegian, and I'd bet that he's not registered as a Playground forum member.
You don't give the level of importance many people place on their heritage enough credit. Even distant heritage.

Guess you generally don't play dwarves. :smallwink:

SoD
2008-02-15, 01:47 AM
Wow, Serpentine, do you actually keep track of where everyone is, or did you run up a quick search? Tecnically, I'm in Nurmijarvi, but Helsinki's close enough. Lovely weather here as well, -10 outside, a tad different from my typical Aussie Febuary!

Edit: Also Finland: Adumbration and Atlem are also from here. Atlem, ye may not know...he's more of a lurker, and has only posted twice...but he's both Scandinavian and in the playground.

KuReshtin
2008-02-15, 07:09 PM
You don't give the level of importance many people place on their heritage enough credit. Even distant heritage.

Guess you generally don't play dwarves. :smallwink:

I do get the fact that people place great importance on their heritage. I do as well as I try to keep to Swedish traditions even if I live outside of the Swedish borders.

What I don't understand, though, is why so many Americans (okay, so that's a generalisation, but I'd bet that 99% of everyone who posted that they are 1/8th Norwegian, or the like are American) feels so compelled to claim that they are something they're not.

How can you claim to be Scandinavian if you've never been there, don't know the language and in some cases (see previous post in the thread quoting the "where in the playground" thread) don't even know what countries are considered a part of Scandinavia in the first place.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-15, 07:53 PM
How can you claim to be Scandinavian if you've never been there, don't know the language and in some cases (see previous post in the thread quoting the "where in the playground" thread) don't even know what countries are considered a part of Scandinavia in the first place.
I'd say no one's making fast claims but simply using this as a jumping point for discussions.

I don't think there's much of a market for threads where all posts are just "Yes" or "No". Gets boring pretty quickly.

And being that this is a very public forum, it gives people that are interested, even if they aren't part of the original target audience, a chance to listen in and maybe add the occasional relevant comment. Does tend to liven things up a bit.

C Harnryd
2008-02-16, 07:13 AM
As a Scandinavian myself (Stockholm, Sweden), I feel flattered when people claim kinship to Scandinavia even though they aren't formally citizens there. :smallsmile:

I was a bit more active here a couple of years ago, but then I got too busy, and my account here became impossible to access for some reason. I got a new one after a while. Then 4E was announced, and there was less incentive to debate the finer points of 3.5.

I visit often, though. Most prominent roleplayers in Sweden don't like DnD very much, so it's hard to find a decent forum for the game there.

Zaggab
2008-02-17, 07:16 AM
Full-blooded Swede here. I live in a small community 16 km north of Umeå, the city of birches.
A fun fact about my village, is that the last battle on Swedish soil took place there (it was against Russia) in 1809.

We even have a monument:Picture (http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bild:Sävar_monument-2007-06-15.jpg)

Arang
2008-02-17, 05:43 PM
Well, you see, my great-great-grandfather on my mother's side had a cousin who was Norwegian, not to mention his nephew's best friend once worked up there ... When I think it over I guess both my parents are Norwegian and I'm a Norwegian citizen. Funny, that.

I'm not your run-of-the-mill Norwegian supremacists right-wing brownshirt fascist, but I kind of like how Scandinavians in general seem to get along so well. We're like one big, frozen family.

Narmoth
2008-02-17, 05:47 PM
So, I have one request for all the Scandinavians, especially Norwegians, who live in the states, just like their parents did:
There's a song, called "comming home for lefse". Obviously, it's not great music (or lyrics for that matter), but I would like a copy of that song.
Anyone got a link to where I can get it?

skyclad
2008-02-18, 06:05 AM
From Stockholm here! I know there must be loads more cos when I went to the Sci Fi bookstore in Gamla stan all the oots books were sold out -.-