PDA

View Full Version : High level buffs

throtecutter
2008-02-13, 05:57 PM
What kind of high level (7th-9th)long term buffs are there for an archer/wizard?

If it matters, my charecter is Wizard 6, Fighter 1, Eldritch Knight 11, Arcane Archer 2, Archmage 1. While he is a good caster, we need at least one source of nonmagical damage so generally he makes full attacks.

Anything is legal except of dragon magizines, but generally I like to stay within the Complete books.

We are on a flying pirate ship, and attacks happen at random points, usually without prep rounds, so mainly I am looking for hour per caster level, not 10 minutes.

deadseashoals
2008-02-13, 08:05 PM
Polymorph any object yourself into something suitably awesome. It's pretty cheesy, but it is a highly effective, high level buff with a permanent duration.

Ted_Stryker
2008-02-13, 09:54 PM
Energy Immunity lasts 24 hours and gives you immunity to damage from one energy type. If you have Extend Spell, you can be immune to energy damage from all five types of energy for the price of one 7th-level spell slot and two 8th-level slots. Handy for an archer. It's in Complete Arcane, I think.

AslanCross
2008-02-13, 10:51 PM
foresight is the only 9th-level buff I can think of. It lasts 10 minutes per caster level, so I think that should last long enough. It prevents you from ever being flat-footed and gives you a +2 insight bonus to AC and reflex saves. (Lost only when you're denied your dex bonus, so in this case it will only happen if you get stunned or become helpless.)

Toliudar
2008-02-14, 12:40 AM
Veil of Undeath (lvl 8, Spell Compendium) gives you many undead traits, and can be great.

weenie
2008-02-14, 02:46 AM
Mind Blank makes you immune to all mind-affecting spells or spell-like abilities, and lasts 24 hours.

Raging Gene Ray
2008-02-14, 02:58 AM
Elemental Body from the Spell Compendium.

7th level Sor/Wiz

1 hr per Caster Level, grants all the immunities associated with elementals (No Criticals, Sneak Attacks, Stunning...a few more I don't remember) plus some sort of power associated with whatever element you chose (Air lets you fly...I remember that much...and fire forces enemies you hit to make reflex saves or burn)

smart thog
2008-02-17, 04:09 PM
Here is a good combo.

Next time you get a feat, take arcane disciple on some new homebrewed deity who has a homebrewed domain, that includes, as its 4th level spell, Delay death (spell compendium), and use persistent spell on it. This only works if you have access to 10th level spells, but it makes immortal for a day, just use some spell that stops you from falling unconscious at 0hp. Beat that with a stick.

Douglas
2008-02-17, 04:19 PM
Delay Death doesn't have a fixed range, so Persistent Spell can't be applied to it.

Starbuck_II
2008-02-17, 04:33 PM
What kind of high level (7th-9th)long term buffs are there for an archer/wizard?

If it matters, my charecter is Wizard 6, Fighter 1, Eldritch Knight 11, Arcane Archer 2, Archmage 1. While he is a good caster, we need at least one source of nonmagical damage so generally he makes full attacks.

Anything is legal except of dragon magizines, but generally I like to stay within the Complete books.

We are on a flying pirate ship, and attacks happen at random points, usually without prep rounds, so mainly I am looking for hour per caster level, not 10 minutes.

I perfer the Complete Mage Captain Planet spells:
Heart of Air, Earth, Fire, and Water. Each Heart spell is a 1hr/level.
Together they give 100 % fortification. If you have 2 up, you get 25% Fortification.
Each spell has a primary passive effect. They can be burned (used yup) for a secondary active effect that ends the whole spell when they end (always 1rd/level)

Fire give Fire resist 20 (burn the spell for a fireshield), Earth gives Temp hp/caster level (burn this for Stoneskin, cheaper than the spell but less duration), etc.