PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Warblade

BadJuJu
2008-02-13, 06:01 PM
Just a quick question, can a Barbarian/Warblade use martial manuvers while raging? I havent seen anything that allows or disallows it.

Chronos
2008-02-13, 06:54 PM
The answer probably depends on the specific maneuver. Some maneuvers, as I understand it, require making Concentration checks, and those are definitely not available during rage. There might be others which specify "calculated, precise action", or something of the sort, and those might be disallowed, too. But maneuvers which just involve "hitting stuff real hard until it goes splat" should be OK.

Icewalker
2008-02-13, 06:59 PM
Yeah, probably no Diamond Mind (do Warblades even get that school?) but stuff like tiger claw, stone dragon, I can definitely see happening. That'd be pretty cool actually.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-13, 07:00 PM
Yeah, probably no Diamond Mind (do Warblades even get that school?) but stuff like tiger claw, stone dragon, I can definitely see happening. That'd be pretty cool actually.

Yup. Warblades get Diamond Mind, Iron Heart, Stone Dragon, Tiger Claw, and White Raven.

Ascension
2008-02-13, 07:04 PM
I was wondering about this myself. I've been planning, off and on, a Goliath barbarian/Tiger Claw warblade/bloodclaw master (this last part mostly just for flavor), and I've been meaning to ask my DM about maneuvers while raging, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. However, I did just take a moment to skim the ToB again, and I found the line "Unlike with spells or psionic powers, you do not need to concentrate to initiate a maneuver or stance." I think that pretty much seals it as a yes.

RTGoodman
2008-02-13, 07:06 PM
However, I did just take a moment to skim the ToB again, and I found the line "Unlike with spells or psionic powers, you do not need to concentrate to initiate a maneuver or stance." I think that pretty much seals it as a yes.

Just be careful - I'm not sure if there are any, but if a maneuver requires you to make a skill check that you normally couldn't make while raging, you probably can't use that one. Don't know if there are any of those, though.

Draz74
2008-02-13, 07:06 PM

Warblades do get Diamond Mind ("samurai" warblades, anyone?), and I wouldn't think Diamond Mind maneuvers would be illegal in a rage unless they require a Concentration check. DM's call on the ones Chronos mentioned, where the fluff specifies "calculated" or anything like that.

Barbarians have always been able to use Weapon Finesse or fight defensively in a rage, after all. (Although they can't use Combat Expertise, so maybe the "fight defensively" was an oversight in the rules rather than an intended strategy.)

AslanCross
2008-02-13, 10:40 PM
Just be careful - I'm not sure if there are any, but if a maneuver requires you to make a skill check that you normally couldn't make while raging, you probably can't use that one. Don't know if there are any of those, though.

The only discipline that requires mental skill checks (Concentration) is Diamond Mind. A few Setting Sun maneuvers call for Sense Motive checks, but that'll only come up if one multiclasses as a Swordsage or uses Martial Study.