PDA

View Full Version : Help. My account won't log out.

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-13, 06:40 PM
I have firefox and all my private data is cleared every time I close the browser. This used to log me out of this forum but for some reason it doesn't anymore.

I have gone so far as to wipe delete firefox and wipe out every trace of internet history and cache on my hard drive.

I don't have this problem with any other forum or website I visit, only this site.

Now I don't really mind, its kinda nice not having to log in every time, but its kinda important for me to know if this is my computer storing the data somewhere (in which case I need to find out were and beat it over the head) or just some odd quirk of the gianitp servers/forums.

Bookman
2008-02-13, 06:43 PM
I have firefox and all my private data is cleared every time I close the browser. This used to log me out of this forum but for some reason it doesn't anymore.

I have gone so far as to wipe delete firefox and wipe out every trace of internet history and cache on my hard drive.

I don't have this problem with any other forum or website I visit, only this site.

Now I don't really mind, its kinda nice not having to log in every time, but its kinda important for me to know if this is my computer storing the data somewhere (in which case I need to find out were and beat it over the head) or just some odd quirk of the gianitp servers/forums.

Can't you just click "Log Off" before you close the browser? I don't think this site ever used to log me off when I closed the browser........ I always could open it and it would automatically log me back on and etc though.

Also when you log on you could unclick the "Keep me Logged in" button.

And after using it so much the word Log has lost all meaning to me........

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-13, 06:49 PM
Can't you just click "Log Off" before you close the browser? I don't think this site ever used to log me off when I closed the browser........ I always could open it and it would automatically log me back on and etc though.
I can if I was interested in logging off. I don't mind staying logged in in and of its self. What I mind is having no idea why it is happening. It doesn't happen with any other forum or site. It didn't used to happen with this site. It shouldn't be happening with this site to the best of my ability to determine.

So the only conclusion I can come to is that *something* happened on the Giantitp side of things. Or something really weird is going on with my computer. And I don't like weird thigns going on with my computer.

Also when you log on you could unclick the "Keep me Logged in" button.
Then I would have to relog in every time I closed the tab I had these forums opened in. Not something I'm interested in doing.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-13, 07:45 PM
Does this mean login data is actually stored serverside, say in the database, and just checks against IP when someone accesses the forums? A lot of other apps do that, but I don't think vBulletin does, and thinking on it harder I'm having trouble seeing how that would work.

But if you're that desperate to eliminate the forum cookie (assuming there is one), then logging out should definitely do that. It's an extra step over wiping your private data, though.

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-13, 07:48 PM
Does this mean login data is actually stored serverside, say in the database, and just checks against IP when someone accesses the forums? A lot of other apps do that, but I don't think vBulletin does, and thinking on it harder I'm having trouble seeing how that would work.

But if you're that desperate to eliminate the forum cookie (assuming there is one), then logging out should definitely do that. It's an extra step over wiping your private data, though.

Oh if its server side I don't really mind. But if it isn't server side and the data is being stored somewhere on my comp that I don't know about then I do mind, not so much because of this site but because of what other data may or may not be being stored in the same place.

Crispy Dave
2008-02-13, 09:34 PM
but...but... whay would anyone ever want to log off? why? *crys Maby they just dont like me *crys some more

Guildorn Tanaleth
2008-02-13, 11:42 PM
In the settings for clearing your private data, are you sure that cookies are set to be deleted? This may sound like a stupid question, but they're the only kind that can solve stupid problems.

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-14, 07:29 AM
In the settings for clearing your private data, are you sure that cookies are set to be deleted? This may sound like a stupid question, but they're the only kind that can solve stupid problems.

Yep. Positive. Even went and checked that again.

And as I said, I can't figure out why it's only this site.

Shhalahr Windrider
2008-02-14, 09:01 AM
Does this mean login data is actually stored serverside, say in the database, and just checks against IP when someone accesses the forums?
No. It'd have to be cookies. IP logging is too unreliable. Many people have dynamic IP addresses. Wouldn't work out too well.

Plus, when you actually log out manually, it explicitly says "All Cookies Have Been Cleared."

This would seem to indicate that the cookies associated with GiantITP are not getting cleared when Tippy closes his browser.

Tippy, are you not only checking that the cookies are set to be deleted but also that they actually are being deleted? You can check this by closing the browser (which should clear the cookies), opening it, then going to the View Cookies window (should be under Preferences -> Privacy -> Show Cookies). That will list all cookies currently stored by Firefox.

Is there any auto-login setting on Firefox that might also be causing this to act up?

Quincunx
2008-02-14, 09:45 AM
This sounds like repeating the obvious, but I don't believe it's been mentioned yet. When we log in here, there's an option to "Keep user logged in". Did you log out, log in while leaving that unclicked, then shut down Firefox etc. etc.?

Emperor Tippy
2008-02-14, 11:48 AM
I found the problem. One of the backup utilities I use was backing up stuff it shouldn't have (all my cookies). Stupid program.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 12:54 PM
Yeah, that's a problem. Which utility? I should probably check it if I'm using it.