PDA

View Full Version : I recieved a pile of gold, and am now squandering it...

Eldritch_Ent
2008-02-13, 11:08 PM
'ello fine folks at GITP, in a recent online game my DM told me I'd somehow been playing a level 4 character when everyone was level 8. (Which turned out fine in the end, but...) Anyway, upon next going to town my character, due to a near-death experience in a dungeon, is going to undergo a bit of intensive training, and recieved a pile of gold in the process. 21,600 Gold to be precise, when he had 600 Gold left before, so 22000 total. Coming up from 5400 WBL, this is a pretty hefty inheritance, and I'm not sure what I'll do with it.

If you're somehow my DM, you might not want to read further. :smallwink:

since my DM is fairly permissive I've taken the Leadership feat to get myself a Cohort. (Of course, I'm not going to break the game or anything, my "Minions" will actually be a circus, and I'll leave my cohort and his cohorts at home, but that's beside the point.). I'm gunning for an Artificer (from Eberron) Cohort, so she can make me and the party some nice items, but if the DM won't allow it I'll just get a Wizard or Cleric cohort instead. Anyway, I just realized I'm not entirely sure what to buy, or how much it will cost, but I've assumed the prices in the book are accurate, since I could convince my cohort to make me items "at cost" most likely. (Especially since the cohort will actually be my character's spouse...)

Oh yes, playing a UMD/Diplomancer Bard who loves random baubles and flashy clothing. Not abusing it though, as I was level 4 until just now and the Campaign isn't hard at all so far.

Anyway, here's my list so far- The Parenthesis are the base price- I'll factor in the Artificer Discount in a sec.
Magic Ration Pouch (Like Mage's Spoon, but feeds one, not four) (1350)
Adaptation Necklace (9000)
Solvent (50)
Circlet of Persuasion (4500)
Pot of Infinite Grease- (2000)
Cup of Endless "Create Water" (1000)
Earring of Prestidigitation At Will- (1000)
Earring of Ghost Lights At Will- (1000)
Earring of Mending At Will- (1000)
Darkwood Shield- 205

For that clump of stuff, it's 15765.25 gold spent with the artificer discount thrown in. It would be all my money if my DM won't allow me an artificer, though, so I'll divide the two parts here. The next part is "just gravy" if my DM lets me get an Artificer.

Portable Door-Knocker, casts knock when used on something (4000)
InkStamp of Arcane Mark (1000)
Fake Nose of Poison Detection (1000)
Monocle of Magic Detection (1000)
Reading Glasses of magic Reading (1000)

Just for kicks, I'm thinking of saving up for a magic quill of Explosive Runes (1/day, 6000 gold)

Any suggestions or math-corrections would be highly appreciated! Remember, the campaign isn't very serious as of yet, and my character is a "Talk it out or run away" type... With Improved Trip, of course. :smalltongue:

SilentNight
2008-02-13, 11:13 PM
Perhaps a lapel flower of acid squirting. Gloves of storing are nice if a little out of your range. Maybe some glue to go with that solvent?

On a different note, what class and race are you?

Eldritch_Ent
2008-02-13, 11:16 PM
Human Bard, Gloves of Storing are nice but I already have a Haversack. Never heard of that flower though. How's it work, and what's it cost? :smalltongue:

SilentNight
2008-02-13, 11:20 PM
Human Bard, Gloves of Storing are nice but I already have a Haversack. Never heard of that flower though. How's it work, and what's it cost? :smalltongue:
That was just a joke based off of your other quirky custom items.:smalltongue: You might check out LordOfTheDucks's razor strings in the homebrew section depending on what your bard plays. Also, you can't go wrong with magic hats. Hat o' disguise maybe? Or a cool custom one.

EDIT: Sounds like an awesome character, wish you were in my group.

Sstoopidtallkid
2008-02-13, 11:53 PM
Warforged Artificer if you can. Pick up an Everburning Torch and a Portable Hole, then treat him like a mobile version of Q. Toss every magic item you don't have a use for into the hole, tell him what you want, and unroll it in a day to retrieve your goods.

Chronos
2008-02-14, 12:09 AM
One point: Make sure to run all of these custom items past your DM. The section on custom items is just guidelines, not rules, and it's quite possible that your DM might interpret those guidelines differently than you are. In particular, the pricing guidelines for unlimited-use items generally assume that the items are only useful in combat, when actions are limited, and they often give broken results for things useful outside of combat.

Warforged Artificer if you can. Pick up an Everburning Torch and a Portable Hole, then treat him like a mobile version of Q.Probably not viable, since he said that his character's cohort is actually the character's spouse. Warforged aren't particularly known for their romancing.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-02-14, 03:25 AM
Well, I haven't decided exactly what I'm going to do yet, but as I said I'm keeping my plan open-ended just in case.

Even if I hadn't kindof already decided how to present my cohort, I wouldn't do the warforged-in-a-box thing. It's just... No. Besides, the Bugbear Smith Innabox is much cooler. :smallbiggrin:

As for worries about the item being too powerful... Well, what am I going to do, grease up the king's palace 10 square feet at a time? Aside from the infinite 1 hp per round, (which I'll only be using to stop things from bleeding to death anyway...), none of it seems all that abusable...

Telonius
2008-02-14, 12:53 PM
Don't neglect mundane items - rope, oil, caltrops, Tanglefoot bags, and ten-foot-poles all have their uses.

Cloak of Charisma should be high up on your priorities list.

A Cape of the Mountebank probably wouldn't be the best use of your resources, but it sounds like it would work really well with the character concept. Save up for one of those, or see if you can get it added to a Cloak of Charisma.

Aquillion
2008-02-14, 02:54 PM
since my DM is fairly permissive I've taken the Leadership feat to get myself a Cohort. (Of course, I'm not going to break the game or anything,

I'm gunning for an Artificer (from Eberron) Cohort, so she can make me and the party some nice items.These sentences do not compute together.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-02-14, 05:55 PM
Don't neglect mundane items - rope, oil, caltrops, Tanglefoot bags, and ten-foot-poles all have their uses.

Cloak of Charisma should be high up on your priorities list.

I think I'll pass on Cape of the Mountebank, as I'm about to learn Dimension Door anyway. :smalltongue: However, a cloak of charisma +4 is 16,000 Gold- rather outside of my price range. And a +2 probably wouldn't be too helpful, although it couldn't hurt, and is a bit of a steal at 4000 gold...

And hey, Artificers aren't broken- Wizards are broken, artificers aren't. :smallwink:

Fax Celestis
2008-02-14, 06:01 PM
Get yourself an eternal wand of improvisation with as high a caster level as possible. EX-cellent spell.

Da King
2008-02-14, 06:19 PM
Bags of holding are always nice. I agree with the wand of improvisation, it's an awesome spell for anyone to use.

Eldritch_Ent
2008-02-14, 07:27 PM
Get yourself an eternal wand of improvisation with as high a caster level as possible. EX-cellent spell.

I'm a bard, so there's no point- I just swapped in Improivsation in exchange for Identify, and am now getting a Magnifying Glass of Identification for 1500 gold. :smallbiggrin:

Fax Celestis
2008-02-14, 07:28 PM
Ah, then you're even better off. Good, good.