PDA

View Full Version : Werebears

Rowan Intheback
2008-02-14, 03:07 AM
I was wondering if werebears change size modifiers when they shift to their animal or hybrid forms. I'm trying to build a dungeon crasher/knockback/shocktrooper/rampaging bull rush character. He's a werebear (human base) and I was wondering if werebear is off of brown bear or black bear? If it's off brown bear can I shape shift and qualify for knockback? Or can I take it as a medium character and use a belt of growth to make it work?

leperkhaun
2008-02-14, 03:16 AM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm#werebear

Werebears become large when they shift into bear or hybrid form. The "normal" werebear is based off the brown bear.

EDIT: i do belive you can get knockback, however it is only usable in bear and hybrid form (unless you use enlarge or such to become large in humanoid form).

Rowan Intheback
2008-02-14, 03:22 AM
Thanks dude you rock. i was working off the template index because I can't afford fancy sourcebooks like "The Monster Manual."

leperkhaun
2008-02-14, 03:27 AM
ohhh i forgot to add.

not sure if you know how the LA thing works. but remember to add the HD of the base animal to the LA of the werecritter you are picking (so a werebear has a base 9 ECL).

And the stat adjustments for when you are in hybrid or animal form for a werebear are.

str +16, Dex+2, Con +8.

So a human with all 10's when shifted will have a 26 str, 12 dex, and 18 con.

the info on the stats can be found further down the page/

Admiral Squish
2008-02-14, 03:30 AM
I'd like to mention wearbears in shifted form qualify for the rock hurling set of feats, and with those come the 'fling ally' and 'fling enemy' feats. Nothing is more awesome than a werebear throwing a halfling tempest into combat before wading in with a greataxe.

Rowan Intheback
2008-02-14, 03:47 AM
I looked at those feat but I didn't see that the dealt any damage. But I am considering that for later levels. Right now with this build I basically hit three times bullrushing/powerattacking each time slamming my opponent into the ground. So I'm basically dribbling them. I suppose at later levels I could use my improved grab to grapple them and than hurl them away but it might be more fun attack of opping them when they try to get up only to slam them right back down.

The moral of this story: Bears are the Harlem Globe Trotters of knockback.

Thanks guys.

Bauglir
2008-02-14, 04:12 PM
Go find the SRD, it'll be majorly helpful to you. Almost the whole Monster Manual, PHB, and DMG. Just missing a couple of things like XP and GP by level tables, and a few monsters Wizards hasn't made open game content.

nargbop
2008-02-19, 02:20 AM
Just remember, bears are the #1 threat to America. So if Captain America wildshapes into a bear, he becomes... YOUR WORST NIGHTMARE.