PDA

View Full Version : Optimise a Character -- Spellthief

Brom
2008-02-14, 03:24 AM
Ok, so todays Challenge ((much akin to the Fighter challenge from last week/earlier)) is to optimize a Spellthief. Although I didn't post so, I would like to sincerely and gratefully thank everyone who took the time to optimize with me. That was great -- so, here's my goal.

I have a character who is a rebel in an alliance against an Empire. The Empire in question hates Arcane spellcasters, but most of the authorities and people of power in the Empire are Divine Spellcasters. The Empire is teetering on the edge of conquering my characters homeland -- my character is a spellthief.

I need a character that is as optimized as can be to exist behind hostile lines without being noticed or drawing undue attention. I would like to see feats, skills, possessions, ((improvised and suggested possessions not listed in books is OK)) and other details worked out. You dont' have to do all of that if you don't want to ((IE if you feel like posting ideal feats but not skills)) that's fine.

Character is a first level human Spellthief. That's all that must be the way it is; you can assign stats, feats, skills, and possessions as desired. Character stat array is: 18, 16, 14, 10, 10, 11. You are allowed to subtract up to two points from any two stats -- you cannot have any stat over 18. So, for example, I could subtract two points from a ten and add to the fourteen, so I'd have a stat line up of 18, 16, 16, 10, 8, 11. Does that make sense?

You can use any of the following books: Complete Scoundrel, Complete Adventurer, Complete Warrior, Core D&D 3.5 rulebooks, Complete Mage, Complete Arcana, Unearthed Arcana, Libris Mortis, Book of Vile Darkness ((Although character is Neutral)), Complete Psionic, Expanded Psionics Handbook, Players Handbook 2. All of those are up for grabs

So...begin?

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-14, 07:24 AM
I'm not much of an optimiser, but the obvious initial thing is high Dex (16 or 18) and maxed Hide and Move Silently, and a decent Cha, Bluff and Disguise for getting away with it if you're spotted.

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-14, 08:30 AM
I'd have the stats as follows: 18 Dex, 16 Int (mainly for skill points), 14 for Con, 10 for Wis and Str and 11 for Cha (if the character lives long enough, you may want to put 1 stat point in here to get a slight bonus to 3 of the skills which I'd recommend. If not, swap this with the Str and increase Str by 1 at level 4). 10 skill point/level are availably altogether, so I recommend maxing out UMD, Bluff, Disguise, Spot, Listen, Hide, Move Silently, Disable Device and Search while dividing the other point (points at level 1) between Open Lock and Tumble (alternatively, maxing out Sense Motive instead could be a wise move considering the scenario). In regards to feats, skill Focus (UMD) could be useful, as could Weapon Finesse (unless you're planning on only bothering with ranged combat).

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-14, 08:57 AM
Charisma is useful to the Spellthief for skills, but also the spellcasting- one option for when you've stolen a spell is to use it to power one of your own, in which case your stats are modifying the DC- never mind the spells/day you get anyway. Because of that, I think it's worth having a decent Cha (14, maybe, if you don't want the 16 in there).