PDA

View Full Version : Aquatic elf in a land based campaign?

Pagz
2008-02-14, 05:13 AM
Recently I have had the urge to play an Aquatic elf on the forums here, however I can't seem to put my finger on a character. This is largly due to the fact that Aquatic elves are restricted in quite a few ways, the biggest one being:

Gills.

The next few being the technological and social limitations of living under the sea (i.e being an archer seems unpractical under water). So I am stuck with the problem of finding a feel for this aquatic elf I want to build.

So, I was thinking of ways to get around, you know, suffocating. The only ones that jumped out immediately were:
-That feat in stormwreck/races of faerun that gave you 3 hours per point of constitution without water.
-Using the "Create Water" spell to create a sort of bath that I can sleep in.

So the class that jumped out at me as being best for an aquatic elf on land was a Druid, because I can create water or just transform into an animal that doesn't choke on air. However that seems like the easy way out, and I'm not too keep to play a druid...

So, I am asking the veterans of these forums to help out a newbie such as myself to try and find feats/spells/classes that would help my elf survive the horrible landscape that is the surface!

FatherMalkav
2008-02-14, 08:48 AM
I'm sure there's some way through magic (mabye an altered Ring of Sustinance?) that could/would allow you to function on land for long periods of time. As for the archery thing, theres a feat in Stormwracked that allows for the use of bows underwater and close to their full range and power I believe, though the name escapes me at the moment.

Burley
2008-02-14, 09:00 AM
Firstly: I applaud you. It's so rare that a campaign has anything to do with aquatics. I know you said this is land based, but your race will, hopefully, be too much for your GM to resist making an aquatic adventure to your home for some reason.
Secondly: If your GM is super cool, talk to him about the PHBII shapeshifting variant for druids. See if you can use the first one you get to turn your gills into land-lungs. Then, all the other ones will be pushed back by one, until you get to the level with the aquatic shape, at which point everything is normal.
I know that sounds like a big sacrifice, but you may be able to convince your GM to allow you to forgo the LA on the Aquatic Elf (if there is one) to make up for the loss of a useful class feature.
In any case, you made a tough decision to play a nonstandard race with serious drawbacks, but with the above suggested remedy, you may just pull through.

serok42
2008-02-14, 09:20 AM
Ring of Air breathing, I don't remember where I saw it but it works like a ring of water breathing only in reverse.

Recently I have had the urge to play an Aquatic elf on the forums here, however I can't seem to put my finger on a character. This is largly due to the fact that Aquatic elves are restricted in quite a few ways, the biggest one being:

Gills.

The next few being the technological and social limitations of living under the sea (i.e being an archer seems unpractical under water). So I am stuck with the problem of finding a feel for this aquatic elf I want to build.

So, I was thinking of ways to get around, you know, suffocating. The only ones that jumped out immediately were:
-That feat in stormwreck/races of faerun that gave you 3 hours per point of constitution without water.
-Using the "Create Water" spell to create a sort of bath that I can sleep in.

So the class that jumped out at me as being best for an aquatic elf on land was a Druid, because I can create water or just transform into an animal that doesn't choke on air. However that seems like the easy way out, and I'm not too keep to play a druid...

So, I am asking the veterans of these forums to help out a newbie such as myself to try and find feats/spells/classes that would help my elf survive the horrible landscape that is the surface!

Krrth
2008-02-14, 09:45 AM
If you can, I'd recommend a slight ret-con. Make him an aquatic half elf with the water breathing feat. Gives you the same flavor, but you don't die if you stay out of water.

Person_Man
2008-02-14, 09:49 AM
I think there's a feat in Stormwrack which lets them breath on land without any trouble. You could also just buy a decanter of endless water and a portable hole, and refresh yourself as needed.

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-14, 10:05 AM
One hour per point of Con means you'll need a bath every half-day or so.

Classwise, Swashbuckler would be interesting...

Feralgeist
2008-02-14, 11:18 AM
3rd level spell in Savage species, called Air breathing. 2 hours/level, pretty self explanatory