PDA

View Full Version : Because everything could be more badass.

Penguinizer
2008-02-14, 02:56 PM
**Alert: This is one of those random ideas that we get on the irc. We like them, and therefore work on it. It's still in the works though, so don't expect a lot of it to be finished. As in, I'm putting the concept down so I don't forget them, sow we can work on it.**

*Fluff to be here*

Son of Sparda
The will of Sparda compels me to hit you. Hard.”
-Hugar Stormingfist, son of Sparda

HD: d8

Requirements:
BAB 5
Must be Non-Lawful
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Lightning Reflexes, Mobility
Skills: Tumble 8 ranks, Jump 8 ranks
Must be proficient with either: Longsword or Light-Repeating Crossbow

Skills: 4+int bonus
Class Skills: Tumble, Jump, Intimidate, Balance, Bluff, Climb, Escape Artist, and Collect Information.

Abilities:

Awaken The Demon: You suffer a -10 penalty on all diplomacy based checks, but your intimidating aura increases your intimidation based checks by +5. Both of these bonuses are unnamed aura bonuses. You can choose to extend this effect to party members within 20 feet, otherwise, only you are affected.
You may also use your strength bonus instead of your charisma bonus for skill checks (except Perform or Diplomacy), or whenever you otherwise would use your charisma bonus. This ability cannot be extended to other party-members.

General Ability: Lesser. You may choose an ability from the Lesser category of your General Abilities list. How the ability system works is described in the abilities section. At level 2 you will receive a Lesser ability, at level 5 a Greater ability, and a Final ability at level 9.

Airhike: You channel the demonic forces within you to a burst of power underneath yourself. This allows you to,1+half you Son of Sparda levels (rounded up)/day, act in the air, as if you were on the ground. You can run, jump, attack, and otherwise act freely. You may drop downwards to a maximum of your movement speed, normal falling damage rules apply. This effect lasts for 1+1/4 of your Son of Sparda levels (rounded down) rounds.

Demonic Flesh: The demonic blood within your flesh boils, hardening mere muscle unto the likeness of tempered steel. You may use your Constitution modifier instead of your dexterity modifier for adding to your AC, you also gain DR3/- (this DR stacks with the barbarians damage resistance). Your unarmed damage also increases by one category.

Bonus Feat: Gain a feat from the Fighter bonus feat list.

Weapon Path: Lesser. You may choose from the following combat paths: The Trickster, Gunslinger, Swordmaster, or Royal Guard. You will receive abilities from that weapon path, as with the General Abilities. At level 4 you will receive a Lesser ability, at level 7 you will receive a Greater ability. You will receive a Final ability at level 10. How abilities work is described in the abilities category, as are the different weapon paths.

General Ability: Greater. As with the Lesser ability, except you gain a General Ability from the Greater category.

Flurry of Steel: You channel your unnatural combat prowess to launch yourself at your foes in a flurry of steel, sliding at in-human speed through the air. As a full round action, you can perform a devastating flurry of death. You strike your foe, spinning off in another direction, striking another devastating blow. You can move up to half your total move speed between attacks, to a maximum of twice your total movement speed. Your first attack is made at full BAB, attacks beyond this are made with a cumulative -2 penalty for 3 attacks, after this, you take a cumulative -3 penalty for 3 attacks. For example, you attack once at full bab, then you suffer -2 on your next attack, -4 after that, and -6 on your fourth. on your fifth attack you suffer a -9 penalty. For each attack that hits after your first attack, you gain a cumulative bonus to damage equal to the penalty that you will suffer (-2, -3, and so one) to your next attack. If one of your attacks misses, your combo ends and you stop immediately. After it ends all enemies within 5 feet of the location where your attack ends, are hit for 2d6 damage for each attack that hit before your combo ends. They may take a DC 15 reflex save for half damage. You recover 1d6 ability points for each attack that hits after your combo ends.

Demonic Sight: You gain dark-vision with a range of 30 feet, this range stacks with any pre-existing dark-vision range. You can also use See Invisibility as a spell like with a caster level equal to half your HD. You may use it once per day for each level of Son of Sparda you have.

Weapon Path: Greater. As with the Lesser Weapon Path, except you gain an ability from the Greater category of your chosen path's ability list.

Demonic Aura: You roll an intimidation check against each opponent in 60 feet. All opponents who fail this check are considered Flat Footed against your attacks, they also suffer a -4 penalty to their AC and all of their rolls.
You gain +4 to attacks and damage on attacks against those that failed the save. This effect lasts for 2d6+1/2 of your Son of Sparda levels. Those that fail the save must take a Will save DC=10+Son of Sparda level+Strength modifier. If they fail this save, they are struck with Fear for 1d6+1 rounds, and suffer a further -2 penalty on top of the original penalty until the effect ends. Creatures that are immune to fear suffer half of this effect, as the fear is beyond the mere mortal realm.

Demonic Strength: Your demonic heritage shows itself once again, as your flesh boils in on itself, you appear slimmer, yet, your skin is as hard as adamantium, your strength beyond the boundaries of humanity. You gain +1 natural armor, a further DR2/- (as with Demonic Flesh, they stack). When rolling for unarmed damage, you roll a d12 instead of what the die you normally would have rolled. You also gain a +2 strength bonus, and +2 to constitution.

General Ability: Final. You gain an ability from the Final Category of your General Abilities list.

Son of Sparda: The full power of your demonic heritage is released. You gain the Half-Fiend template ignoring the level-adjustment, although you do not have to be evil. Your Smite Good ability changes to Smite Evil if you are Good aligned. You also gain a further +4 natural armor bonus, and a +5 un-named bonus to damage and attack rolls.

If you are a good aligned character, your spell like ability list is changed as follows.

{table] HD | Spell
1-2 | Darkness 3/day
3-4 | Consecrate
5-6 | Any of the Remove spells 3/day*
7-8 | Poison 3/day
9-10 | Wind Wall
11-12 | Holy Word
13-14 | Holy Aura 3/day, Hallow
15-16 | Horrid Wilting
17-18 | Summon Monster IX (non-fiend only)
19-20 | Destruction[/table]
*You can only use a total of 3 remove spells per day, not 3 of each spell.
The Spell like abilities work as described in the template other than these changes.

Master of Combat: You gain a path specific ability from your chosen combat path from the Master category.

{table=head]Level | Base Attack Bonus | Fort Save | Ref Save | Will Save | Special
1st | +1| +2 | +2 | +0 | Awaken the Demon
2nd | +2 | +3 | +3 | +0 | Airhike, General Ability: Minor
3rd | +3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | Demonic Flesh, Bonus Feat
4th | +4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | Weapon Path: Lesser
5th | +5 | +5 | +5 | +2 | General Ability:Greater
6th | +6/+1 | +6 | +6 | +2 | Just as Planned, Demonic Sight
7th | +7/+2 | +7 | +7 | +3 | Weapon Path: Greater
8th | +8/+3 | +8 | +8 | +3 | Demonic Aura, Bonus Feat, Demonic Strength
9th | +9/+4 | +9 | +9 | +4 | General Ability: Final
10th | +10/+5 | +10 | +10 | +5 | Son of Sparda, Master of Combat [/table]

General Abilities:

Path Specific Abilities:

Like I said, work in progress. Posting it so that others can add to it. The focus here is badassitude. Chained combos, over the top stylish maneuvers, and stuff you'd see in Devil May Cry (Which is where the idea came from).

Spiryt
2008-02-14, 03:00 PM
Never played DMC, but from what I saw that (video's e.c) it's way too unrealistic and shiny, even for D&D standards (which are not so bad after all).

XiaoTie
2008-02-15, 09:21 AM
Not if you have ToB on the game it isn't :smallwink:

Also Penguin, you forgot to add that we said it should be a 10 lvls PrC.

Also, I think 5 is kinda low for the skills req, maybe 8 ?

Penguinizer
2008-02-15, 04:24 PM
Anyways, Random ideas we had.

Power Point style system for determining how many moves you can use (with restrictions). For recovery, I was thinking something like a special attack action.

D20 Modern style talent tree, with different weapon paths (dual light-handheld crossbow, sword, two-wep, and an idea I'm still thinking about.)

More to come

Icewalker
2008-02-15, 07:39 PM
Hmm...DMC...so beating the crap out of opponents in massive stylish combos. Not sure exactly how to get that into dnd. I may think on this.

Demented
2008-02-15, 09:25 PM
If you wanted to do the DMC thing... Wouldn't it just be Full Attacking on the move?

Admittedly, I'm more for the opinion that badass is a state of mind (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0434.html)...

Penguinizer
2008-02-16, 02:21 AM
On the note of attacking with moving. Another idea was basically special attack actions with different effects. For example, throwing the enemy into the air/in another direction.

Penguinizer
2008-02-17, 01:58 PM
Sorry for the double post. Just saying that significant progress has been made. It still needs much balancing, but there has been much fixing in the writing. The ability system still needs to be written. But that should get done in a timely fashion once I get around to doing it.

Caracol
2008-02-18, 10:17 AM
I don't know if you already know it, but take a look at these:

DMC base class
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69139
DMC monsters and weapon
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67326

Not mine, anyway.