PDA

View Full Version : Best D&D Pantheon Ever

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 03:15 PM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TropePantheons

Best D&D Pantheon ever.

The Rose Dragon
2008-02-14, 03:24 PM
The fact that they have Azula in the pantheon is enough for me to not like it. Nothing personal, I just hate her with a passion (which is, I believe, the point).

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 03:46 PM
Well she is Evil, and the patron of Magnificent Bastards. I'd say it's in her favor that she inspires hatred (rather than, say, admiration like most Evil D&D gods tend to do).

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-14, 03:51 PM
It's good, but it's missing some things. Like Dominic Deegan as patron of Marty Stu's (Nothing personal against the comic. Jus' the truth.), the original Gilgamesh as the God Of Heroes with an Aleph aleph divine ranking, and Batman as god of Badass Normals and wizards.

MandibleBones
2008-02-14, 04:03 PM
It's good, but it's missing some things. Like Dominic Deegan as patron of Marty Stu's (Nothing personal against the comic. Jus' the truth.), the original Gilgamesh as the God Of Heroes with an Aleph aleph divine ranking, and Batman as god of Badass Normals and wizards.

That's all in the expanded pantheon. The above is just the part in the PHB.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-14, 04:07 PM
But does it have...

The spanish inquisition as the god of DM surprises?

SITB
2008-02-14, 04:21 PM
It also needs the God of Awesome, the fountain from which all awesomeness springs forth, empowering those who wield it.

Who the hell do you thinks it is!? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TengenToppaGurrenLagann)

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-14, 04:34 PM
Nah, that's not the god of awesome. That's only an aspect. The Heroic god of awesome is Gilgamesh, the antihero is Dark Knight returns Batman, the freaky styley one is Shinji Ikari, and if there had to be an overall awesome god, it'd be the Nameless One & Co.

Solo
2008-02-14, 04:36 PM
It also needs the God of Awesome, the fountain from which all awesomeness springs forth, empowering those who wield it.

Who the hell do you thinks it is!? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TengenToppaGurrenLagann)

Myself, perchance?

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-14, 04:42 PM
BTW, if we're going to debate this, we NEED image macros.

Oh, and the god of Plot Immunity and Legendary Catchphrases, who said: "Your bullets cannot harm me, my wings are like a shield of steel!"

Guess. And he has a demigod, who said: "Hasta La Vista, Baby".

mostlyharmful
2008-02-14, 04:44 PM
Next clerics definately gonna be a worshiper of the Doctor. It's even got an in game reason for occassionally losing casting when your god reboots themselves and you have to get used to someone random.

Telonius
2008-02-14, 04:53 PM
They need a God of Ephemeral Pop Culture References.

Leeroy Jenkins, aka All Your Base, aka Hampsterdance, aka Kilroy Was Here.

SITB
2008-02-14, 04:54 PM
Nah, that's not the god of awesome. That's only an aspect. The Heroic god of awesome is Gilgamesh, the antihero is Dark Knight returns Batman, the freaky styley one is Shinji Ikari, and if there had to be an overall awesome god, it'd be the Nameless One & Co.

I disagree about the last one, what really set the Nameless one as awesome was his environment*, would TNO would really be that awesome without Mort and Fall-From-Grace? It's the people he draws and the world that interact with that give make him truly awesome.

So, basicly, he's the awesome aspect of settings**.

*And debating a man to non-existance.
**And debates.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-14, 04:54 PM
It is missing Seņor Mysterioso, God of Parking. Therefore, it is not the best pantheon ever.

Cuddly
2008-02-14, 05:01 PM
Yeah, I don't watch enough anime to get most of those.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 06:05 PM
Actually, the only Japanese character I'm familiar with is Haruhi, though I know Lain and Light by reputation.

Well, and Primus, but he's well enough known in the West.

TheLogman
2008-02-14, 06:13 PM
I could see myself making a Cleric who follows Neo or the Doctor. I was kind of expecting Wiki-pedia, god of Knowledge, Celerity, Rune, and something else, maybe Trickery for the defilers, or Good maybe?

Also, anyone who is considering a Cleric of Light, I have some DeathNote homebrew in my list of Homebrews.

UserClone
2008-02-14, 06:15 PM
It is also missing Sen~or (how the hell are you people typing tildes?) El Vorpal Kickasso AND Chuck Norris.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 06:16 PM
I'm really tempted to run a campaign in a setting based off of this pantheon (fleshed out a bit with others' suggestions). I'm just not sure how it would be set up. Something in the continuity/universe of Avatar and the Airbending Fellowship of Vampire Slayers, perhaps? Or something more original? Actually, originality would kind of eliminate the point of this.

Idiotbox90
2008-02-14, 06:20 PM
Well she is Evil, and the patron of Magnificent Bastards. I'd say it's in her favor that she inspires hatred (rather than, say, admiration like most Evil D&D gods tend to do).

Wouldn't Xanatos or Tzeentch be more appropriate?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 06:24 PM
This is more of gods of the TVTropes Wiki; most of the contributors there seem to be huge Avatards. Which isn't to say Xanatos doesn't have his following...he'd probably be a reasonable applicant for the position.

Perhaps in the mythology, Xanatos was the original deity of Magnificent Bastards until he was overthrown by his servant Azula...which is of course all part of Xanatos's eternity-long plot to eliminate Azula and gain the power he needs to overthrow the rest of the pantheon and become God of All Tropes.

I feel like someone from Evangelion needs to be here as God(dess) of Creator Breakdown. And Death from Discworld, for being the Best Death Ever, gets the spot as God of Death.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-14, 06:50 PM
I'd play on a campaign setting based on this (BTW, it'd probably end up as an Anno Dracula setting, but massively more cooler), an Ur priest would be absolute win here. The thought of stopping a vile scheme of Sephiroth, God(dess) of Squee from transforming everyone into a Fangirl would be awesome.

Grey Watcher
2008-02-14, 06:57 PM
My favorite is either the Doctor or Zapp Brannigan, largely because those are the two references I actually get....

Does anyone else think tvtropes.org is trying to take over the internet or something?

EDIT: I actually might take the Doctor's rank and domains and tweak the fluff for a homebrew setting sometime. I rather like those domains for a God of Time.

Runa
2008-02-14, 07:11 PM
I could see myself making a Cleric who follows Neo or the Doctor. I was kind of expecting Wiki-pedia, god of Knowledge, Celerity, Rune, and something else, maybe Trickery for the defilers, or Good maybe?

Also, anyone who is considering a Cleric of Light, I have some DeathNote homebrew in my list of Homebrews.

I (who's only recently got addicted to that manga) love how while the Doctor's alignment "varies" to basically anything non-evil, Light Yagami is considered flat-out "Lawful Evil". It's funny 'cause it's true! :smallbiggrin:

Wikipedia, though?

Is obviously the God of Impermanence, Knowledge, Pop Culture, and Independent Journalism. Patron of pop culture junkies, internet debaters, and nerds. Either True or Chaotic Neutral, though it is in constant flux and often has spurts of Lawful tendencies... though its own commandments and requests of followers it admits are open to interpretation and revision if the situation calls for it, so it's never out and out Lawful. On rare occasions, actually has a sense of humor. Somewhat schizophrenic, but it's heart is, one supposes, in the right place. Genderless, and clerics for it rarely get kicked out unless they cause trouble in the community.

-Runa

TempusCCK
2008-02-14, 07:32 PM
It doesn't have anyone from the best show ever.

Malcom Reynolds

God of Rogues and Being Awesome.

Portfolio- Being awesome, stealing stuff, liberty of conscience

Fax Celestis
2008-02-14, 07:33 PM
It doesn't have anyone from the best show ever.

Malcom Reynolds

God of Rogues and Being Awesome.

Portfolio- Being awesome, stealing stuff, liberty of conscience

There is one god, Malcolm, and Kaylee is his prophet!

...a sexy prophet.

TempusCCK
2008-02-14, 07:46 PM
There is one god, Malcolm, and Kaylee is his prophet!

...a sexy prophet.

13th Warrior Reference. Awesome.

And then Jayne would be a Demi-God of "Public Relations" and the Need for Grenades.

Superglucose
2008-02-14, 07:56 PM
I'm honestly going to talk to my DM about being able to be a cleric of the Doctor. Every morning there's a dice roll to see what alignment my god is that day, and if I'm not one step from it... bye-bye spellcasting!

looking at it I think it'd be 1d10, if it comes up as
1,2-LG
3,4-LN
5,6-NG
7,8-CG
9-CN
0-reroll

Of course, I'd probably talk with my dm about getting something else to use as a kind of... balancer. Maybe get full BAB? Hmmm...

Guancyto
2008-02-14, 09:32 PM
"What do you mean, you lost your spellcasting? It's a dragon!" "Dragon, schmagon. My god just got a guy to blow up a planet!"

Tengu
2008-02-14, 09:53 PM

I find this term very amusing but also incredibly offensive, like the portrayal of black people in old Disney cartoons.

Also, I am proud that I got all the references apart from one, despite seeing maybe half of these shows in my whole life.

Xuincherguixe
2008-02-14, 10:11 PM
I find this term very amusing but also incredibly offensive, like the portrayal of black people in old Disney cartoons.

It was only a matter of time.

I love how there's a god of Jesus Metaphors.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 10:22 PM
As far as I can tell, it's the official name. Someone in the DeviantArt part of the fandom coined it.

Citation! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FanCommunityNicknames)
Further Citation! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AvatarTheLastAirbender)

Solo
2008-02-14, 10:38 PM
They need a God of Ephemeral Pop Culture References.

Leeroy Jenkins, aka All Your Base, aka Hampsterdance, aka Kilroy Was Here.

What you say?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-14, 11:49 PM
There should also be a lord of Hell/Purgatory, since everybody's there (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EveryoneIsJesusInPurgatory). Except the Azumanga Daioh cast, who are in Heaven.

Who fits this, though?

tbarrie
2008-02-15, 12:30 AM
Actually, the only Japanese character I'm familiar with is Haruhi, though I know Lain and Light by reputation.

Well, and Primus, but he's well enough known in the West.

Isn't it more accurate to call Primus a British character who's well-known in Japan?

(Assuming he is well-known in Japan, that is.)

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-15, 12:45 AM
Wow, Wikipedia is telling me I know nothing about Transformers. Regardless of the slightly confusing ownership between Takara and Hasbro, I guess Primus definitely got his start in UK comics.

Tengu
2008-02-15, 01:08 AM
DeviantArt part of the fandom

Do you think they have any Iroph shippers? That'd be a funny avatar.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-15, 01:40 AM
I guarantee they exist, given how insane and pervasive the Avatar shipping fandom is, but they might violate forum rules.

Maybe Manny Calavera for lord of the underworld?

Drascin
2008-02-15, 02:32 AM
Maybe Manny Calavera for lord of the underworld?

He would be an improvement over standard D&D death gods, that's for sure. At least he doesn't rip you off your death deal by giving your soul to cultists or anything.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-15, 03:15 AM
The problem is that Manny and most of the other people who come to mind - Terry Pratchett's Death, Joss Whedon, Yoshiyuki Tomino - are all more Grim Reapers than Lords of the Underworld, which is what I'm going for here.

Gardakan
2008-02-15, 05:19 PM
I don't know why it's the best pantheon...

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-15, 05:24 PM
We pity you, ye of poor knowledge. Get working on your manga, myth, tv show, and comic knowledge.

Ascension
2008-02-15, 05:44 PM
No offense to Pratchett, but Tomino as god of death would be totally awesome. His clerics should get awesome newtype powers but be forced to make a will save at the end of each quest. If they fail the save, a PC or plot-important NPC dies, preferably in a senseless, accidental manner. Repeat until TPK is attained.

Light should be the official god of Grey Guards and Fallen Paladins. And eaters of potato chips.

Tengu
2008-02-15, 11:30 PM
I guarantee they exist, given how insane and pervasive any shipping fandom is, but they might violate forum rules.

Fixed. Oh, and the forum rules are against outright nudity and other adult themes, but not subtext.

Rutee
2008-02-15, 11:45 PM
How is Doctor Orpheus not the God of What do you Mean It's not Awesome and Martial Arts and Crafts?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-16, 12:43 AM
No offense to Pratchett, but Tomino as god of death would be totally awesome. His clerics should get awesome newtype powers but be forced to make a will save at the end of each quest. If they fail the save, a PC or plot-important NPC dies, preferably in a senseless, accidental manner. Repeat until TPK is attained.
Tomino, or Joss Whedon. His Clerics get monk abilities on top of their spellcasting...at least the female ones.

Rutee: Because its a wiki. EDIT: Actually, because at this point, it's getting a little ridiculously large. At this point, every character will be a god (or perhaps Jesus...in Purgatory) instead of themselves!

AslanCross
2008-02-16, 12:49 AM

Tomino will also have an insanely powerful Inevitable working for him by the name of Ideon.

Rutee
2008-02-16, 12:55 AM
Agreed with all Tomino sentiments as well. His nickname is "Kill 'em All" For godssakes..

Fixed. Oh, and the forum rules are against outright nudity and other adult themes, but not subtext.
I-I'm not the only shipper who has subtext? What!?