PDA

View Full Version : Swordsage Discipline Weapon Focus

Ascension
2008-02-14, 03:28 PM
Alright, at first level a swordsage gains the benefit of weapon focus with the signature weapons of his chosen discipline. Proficiency with the weapon is a prerequisite for the weapon focus feat. Several of the disciplines feature exotic signature weapons. Does the swordsage implicitly gain proficiency with his chosen discipline's exotic signature weapons? I ask because I'm in the midst of planning a whisper gnome Shadow Hand swordsage as a backup character in case my current character meets an untimely end, and I'd really love to give him a (Shadow Hand associated) spiked chain. I'll take the feat if I've got to take the feat, but it'd be really nice to have an extra one for something else... like combat reflexes.

SadisticFishing
2008-02-14, 03:39 PM
In my opinion, and by RAW, no. You get weapon focus without having the prereqs, much like a ranger can get TWF without enough dex. So, you get +1 with the weapons, but also -4, for a total of -3. Grab the proficiency feat.

Fax Celestis
2008-02-14, 03:41 PM
Bonus feats do not require you to meet their prerequisites unless they specifically state in them that you must meet them. Discipline Focus grants you the Weapon Focus feat with those weapons and supersedes the need to meet the prereqs.

Ascension
2008-02-14, 03:42 PM
I didn't think it could possibly be that easy. There goes the uberbuild. I can still have fun with it, though... I'm finding myself almost hoping my current character dies at some point...

SadisticFishing
2008-02-14, 03:48 PM
I didn't think it could possibly be that easy. There goes the uberbuild. I can still have fun with it, though... I'm finding myself almost hoping my current character dies at some point...

Everyone does this, don't worry. I actually recommend that everyone have a second character they are excited about - just make sure not to get more attached to the gnome than you are to your current guy.