PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Question? please help

D Knight
2008-02-14, 08:41 PM
I was in math today and started think could you add a templet to the ebbron race Warorged? If the answer is yes, which templet will put the negative to positive for wisdom. thanks for the help if i do not say it later.

Zincorium
2008-02-14, 08:51 PM
Er, first off, it would be really nice of you to use regular speech instead of text-messaging style.

As to your question, you can theoretically apply any template which can be placed on a construct to warforged. However, if you're doing this as a PC, realize that your DM has every right to simply say 'no, no one built a warforged like that' and you're out of luck.

PlatinumJester
2008-02-15, 08:28 AM
Winged Template gives you +2 Wisdom and wings.
Ferral Template also gives +2 Wis but reduces your Int to 4. However it is insanely overpowered for a +1 template that it makes up for it.

Hunter Noventa
2008-02-15, 08:33 AM
Ferral Template also gives +2 Wis but reduces your Int to 4. However it is insanely overpowered for a +1 template that it makes up for it.

It reduces your Int BY 4, not TO 4. Huge difference there.

Zincorium
2008-02-15, 10:28 AM
Winged Template gives you +2 Wisdom and wings.

Unfortunately, as warforged are constructs (albeit with the living construct subtype) they aren't legal targets for either of those. And no DM worth his salt is going to break the rules to give a PC either of those particular templates.

clockwork warrior
2008-02-15, 02:23 PM
Unfortunately, as warforged are constructs (albeit with the living construct subtype) they aren't legal targets for either of those. And no DM worth his salt is going to break the rules to give a PC either of those particular templates.

why not? if you can generate the fluff for it then why not let someone have those templates? i dont play eberron, but a winged warforged wouldn't be impossible. possibly close to the end of big war thing there was an expirement to create flying warforged by binding air elementals to them in the form of large metal wings on their backs. if you want to balance this a bit ( or be mean) you could give them a 5% chance of the elemental rebelling mid flight and the flying thing not working ( or at least not as well)

Keld Denar
2008-02-15, 02:45 PM
Exactly, it would be so easy (game mechanics-wise)to build working wings on a warforged its silly. That to me makes more sense than a winged cat or a winged 1/2orc if you ask me.

ZeroNumerous
2008-02-15, 02:59 PM
Warforged are ineligible because the template requires a living creature. Further, there's a warforged component that gives them wings.

Ecalsneerg
2008-02-15, 03:05 PM
Warforged are ineligible because the template requires a living creature. Further, there's a warforged component that gives them wings.

Yeah, but isn't that particular component an artifact?

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-15, 03:11 PM
Ineligible by RAW. As a DM, I wouldn't be totally against allowing the template anyway. Winged, Feral...hell, Half-Fiend would even work if, say, a Rakshasa had gotten in and futzed with the Creation Forge. I'd probably save that last one for an important NPC, though. Like, say...the Lord of Blades.

Irreverent Fool
2008-02-15, 03:12 PM
If you want to be a flying warforged, there are much easier ways of gaining flying than trying to break the templating rules.

I mean, if you're going to allow that stuff, why don't I make a warforged vampire? ...actually, that sounds kind of cool.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-15, 05:08 PM
Warforged are ineligible because the template requires a living creature.

Warforged have a constitution score, and, furthermore, they have the living construct subtype.

Starbuck_II
2008-02-15, 05:18 PM

As puppetmaster says, Warforged are living. As long as it does not says no constructs you can do it. Does either says humaniod only?

The_Snark
2008-02-15, 05:35 PM
Feral is humanoid or monstrous humanoid only. Winged has a slightly wider list, with animals, giants and vermin eligible, but constructs are not eligible for either one, living or no. If the template said any living creature, warforged would be okay, but they usually specify by type.

You could houserule it in for a reasonable concept, but I wouldn't even consider doing that for the feral template; there are already feats to make a warforged spiky and give it a bite attack, and the feral template is simply too good. Other templates would be given consideration.

Zincorium
2008-02-15, 06:08 PM
why not? if you can generate the fluff for it then why not let someone have those templates? i dont play eberron, but a winged warforged wouldn't be impossible. possibly close to the end of big war thing there was an expirement to create flying warforged by binding air elementals to them in the form of large metal wings on their backs. if you want to balance this a bit ( or be mean) you could give them a 5% chance of the elemental rebelling mid flight and the flying thing not working ( or at least not as well)

I'm talking about game balance-wise. Warforged are quite possibly the most powerful PC race without racial hit dice or a level adjustment. Winged is very good at first and almost obsolete after a certain point.

Feral is so cheesy it hurts.

And considering the DM would have to use rule 0 to even allow you to make the combination, I'd say it's dead in the water.

Azerian Kelimon
2008-02-15, 06:12 PM
Actually, Winged NEVER goes obsolete. In battle, it's the reason while some monsters are fearsome and some aren't, the best example being the tarrasque.

martyboy74
2008-02-15, 06:19 PM
It goes obselete ~ 5th level when the party gains access to fly, which is superior to any form of non-magical flight. Winged template is almost just a +2 WIS at that point. Not quite worth a LA.

Mewtarthio
2008-02-15, 06:21 PM
Once you get magical flight, it's worthless. Granted, if you're planning on playing a Winged VoP Monk, it's... well, it's less worthless than an ordinary VoP Monk, assuming LA buyback (which exists--albeit as a houserule--because most templates tend to become worthless after a certain point).

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-15, 06:26 PM
It goes obselete ~ 5th level when the party gains access to fly, which is superior to any form of non-magical flight. Winged template is almost just a +2 WIS at that point. Not quite worth a LA.

if you have a high dex, it doesn't get useless at level 5. the fly spell only gives you good menuverability, and only for a short time. with high dex, you get perfect menuverability all the time.

you could be an incarnate warforged and be eligable for humanoid-only templates (and you would have -2 to the LA of the template)

Mewtarthio
2008-02-15, 06:34 PM
An Incarnate Warforged? What'd be the point?

Zincorium
2008-02-15, 06:44 PM
An Incarnate Warforged? What'd be the point?

-2 level adjustment for really just becoming a featless human. In this case, you'd be a winged featless human with heavily unbalanced stats and no level adjustment. Incarnate construct is designed for playing things like flesh golems, where it balances the character out somewhat.

It loses all special attacks and abilities, but keeps flying speeds. Winged is one of the few templates it works decently with.

Again, with rule 0 involved by necessity of adding winged to a warforged, this isn't gonna happen.

Cuddly
2008-02-15, 07:09 PM

Oh yeah, 4 people, one or two casters, with maybe 100 minutes of flying between them, and 8 hours (at least) of adventuring, and dispel magic.

Non-magical flying is immensely useful, especially if you're a melee'r who doesn't have to spend the first round waiting for a spell cast on him, or drinking an expensive potion.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-15, 09:05 PM
Again, with rule 0 involved by necessity of adding winged to a warforged, this isn't gonna happen.

incarnate construct makes your type humanoid

Zincorium
2008-02-15, 09:18 PM
incarnate construct makes your type humanoid

Yes, but it's an acquired template. Whereas winged is an inherited template. Going by the rules, winged has to be templated on first, and only then can the Incarnate Construct spell be cast upon the warforged to give it the incarnate construct template.

You can, of course, rule 0 the addition of templates. But then we're back where we started, no?

Kristoss
2008-02-15, 09:31 PM
Ironically the half-fiend and half-celestial templates are legal but not the celestial or fiendish creature templates.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-15, 09:56 PM
Yes, but it's an acquired template. Whereas winged is an inherited template. Going by the rules, winged has to be templated on first, and only then can the Incarnate Construct spell be cast upon the warforged to give it the incarnate construct template.

You can, of course, rule 0 the addition of templates. But then we're back where we started, no?

woops, error on my part. *slaps face*

you could do half-fey with an incarnate warforged though. It's one of the best +2LA templates I know

EDIT: Yay! I made halfling in the playground!