PDA

View Full Version : If you could have dinner with any three people ...

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-14, 11:13 PM
... either living or dead, who would they be? As long as they were once alive (i.e., you can't choose anyone fictional), they're fair game.

My personal choices would be Wayne Gretzky, Robert Jordan, and John Lennon.

Wayne Gretzky: I'm Canadian and I love hockey (cliche, I know). Simply put, Gretzky is a Canadian icon and the greatest player to ever lace up the skates. 'Nuff said.

Robert Jordan: Probably my favourite author, and certainly the one I'd like to talk to most about his books. The Wheel of Time was a huge part of my life throughout high school.

John Lennon: The Beatles are one of my favourite bands, and John Lennon is my favourite Beatle. Individually, he's also one of my favourite musicians.

Crispy Dave
2008-02-14, 11:14 PM
hate to be policing but this might belong in smbg

Gaelbert
2008-02-14, 11:20 PM
Mmm, I'm not so sure about that.

Let's see.
Jimi Hendrix- Obvious choice. Amazing guitarist, also dead.
Winston Churchill
Albert Einstein- This one I'm not so sure about. He might be so much more smarter than me that I wouldn't even understand anything.

Semidi
2008-02-14, 11:24 PM
Nietzsche, Aristotle, and presuming everyone knows English or can suddenly learn English... Well the first two already know Greek... But I don’t...

Nietzsche, Aristotle, and ...

The third guy is tough, I thought of David Bowie, and just about every famous western writer and philosopher. Nietzsche is like my intellectual hero, and Aristotle is a close second. I guess I’d probably go with Kant or Karl Marx. Probably Marx, since Kant and Nietzsche might get into a fistfight. I'll probably change my mind on the last one later.

By dessert, we'll have an answer to the meaning of life.

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-14, 11:33 PM
Ah yes, I forgot to mention in my first post: let's assume in this fantasy of ours that everyone at the table is perfectly fluent in whatever language you're most comfortable in.

The Great Skenardo
2008-02-14, 11:42 PM
Hmm.

Pratchett, for the interesting conversation.
Teddy Roosevelt so I can hear him say "Bully!" and hear some good stories.
Bill Gates, for valuable networking, and so he'll pay for dinner :smallwink:

SpiderMew
2008-02-14, 11:59 PM
This is hard, because ide rather be able to meet friends of mine ive aquired over the internet then meet anyone famous living or dead
(except for mabie Jim Carry)
Sure there are meet ups, but unless one happens in an area of southern california i can get to i doubt i could attend, not untill ive gotten myself into a better point in my life.
I dont know if i can pick just 3 people, but im sure if i had to, they would be out of my newst friends aquired here.

valadil
2008-02-15, 12:04 AM
Any three people eh?

Let's go with Charlemagne, Vercingetorix, and George W. Bush. I'm not interested in dinner, just the fist fight/massacre that ensues.

Eldritch Knight
2008-02-15, 12:14 AM
Hmm.. good question.

In my case I'd go with:

Winston Churchill - very intelligent man, should result in interesting philosophical discussion.
Isaac Newton - the Quintessential Man of Science
My Grandfather - so many things I didn't get to talk with him about when he was alive.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-15, 12:23 AM
Sir Isac Newton, Einstein, MacGyver (you didn't say that fictional characters don't count)

Because these are the smartest people.

John Cleese, Eric Idle, Ghram Chapman

Because these are the funniest people.

Isac Asimov, Robert Jordan, Mark Twain (Samuel Clemmings)

because these are awesome writers.

Pythagoras, Plato, Aristotle

because they are greek

Reinboom
2008-02-15, 12:23 AM
PhoeKun

My two deceased siblings as they would be if they aged to how old they would be now.

Zeb The Troll
2008-02-15, 01:21 AM
(you didn't say that fictional characters don't count)Actually, yeah he did.

InaVegt
2008-02-15, 01:38 AM
Darwin, Paul (the biblical one), and Marx

It would be a very interesting conversation.

SoD
2008-02-15, 01:41 AM
Hmm...Ray Charles, he's a must. And Monk, of course. Can't have dinner without Monk. And Richard, because he'd kill me if he found out I had dinner with Ray Charles and Monk and he didn't!

Ishmael
2008-02-15, 01:47 AM
Hmm...I'd have to have a few echelons of people, just depending on what mood I was.

Immanuel Kant, Plato, and Kierkegaard, if I was in a philosophical mood.

Conrad, Shakespeare, and Melville, if I wanted to discuss literature.

Dvorak, Stravinsky, and Beethoven, if I was in a musical mood.

The Giant, Monte Cook, and Gygax, if I wanted to play Dnd.

Jesus, Buddha, and Mohammad, to discuss religion.

T. Roosevelt, John Muir, and Emerson, to discuss nature than go backpacking afterwards...

Hmm....Mervyn Peake, Tolkien, and George RR Martin, just to see all three debate fantasy and it's function as art.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-15, 01:49 AM
Bhudda would just sit, and eat, he wouldn't discuss buddism because it isn't a religion

H. Zee
2008-02-15, 01:56 AM
This is hard. I'd go for:

1) Terry Pratchett - I've always wanted to have a good long chat with Terry Pratchett. He probably wouldn't enjoy it, as I'd never stop talking about his books, but for me it'd be awesome.

2) Karl Pilkington - Co-creator (with Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant) of the most popular, and funniest, podcast series in history, The Ricky Gervais Show. I doubt anyone here has heard of him, but I think he's the funniest man alive. If you want to know more, look at this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Pilkington)

3) Jamie Hewlett - Co-creator of Gorillaz and not only a kick-ass artist, but a really nice guy. I've met him before - I saw him on a train and got his autograph - but that was for like, 2 minutes, and I want to have a nice, proper talk with him.

Raiser Blade
2008-02-15, 02:14 AM
William Wallace (Awesome)
Archimedes (Brilliant)
Robin Williams (Funny)

Icewalker
2008-02-15, 02:20 AM
Hrm...I don't know.

I know I would include Einstein. Because since I read (most of) his biography I've started drawing parallels between my life and his...there are quite a few. I'll know better once I've taken AP physics next year.

Who else...hrm...

I'm not sure. Could look into that.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-15, 02:20 AM
Oscar Wilde, Nathan Gray (mmmmm....) and Neil Gaiman.

It would be an interesting conversation.

Vella_Malachite
2008-02-15, 02:46 AM
Oh, definitely Terry Pratchett, because I met him once and I just want to have the opportunity to do it again and have a proper conversation this time,
Aristotle, because I love the deep philosophical questions,
Aaannnddd...hmmm...this is hard...uhhh...darn it, why aren't fictional characters allowed?:smallyuk: :smalltongue:...Harriet Beecher-Stowe, because she was my great, great, (not sure how many) aunt, and I really, really want to meet her. But she died.

Mind you, if fictional characters were allowed, there would be too many to choose from and I'd be hosting a truckload of dinner parties...

Shademan
2008-02-15, 03:15 AM
shigeru myamoto.
bruce dickinson.
boba fett.

Reinboom
2008-02-15, 03:28 AM
The Giant, Monte Cook, and Gygax, if I wanted to play Dnd.

I could never choose these 3 for D&D.
I would end up strangling Gygax to be more specific (at least... if it was D&D related i would).

I would maybe choose Monte Cook for discussions in game design (or mike mearls), as well as either Richard Garfield or Mark Rosewater. And then Dexter Chow (used to be a producer for Ubisoft. also used to be one of my professors. great person to speak to for game design).

Celebrities really don't do much for me, I would rather have a productive or interesting conversation than just being in the light of someone famous. I would rather have a conversation that I can take something from, apply it, or just be satisfied with.

Perhaps a conversation with three different persons from history who have hidden something significant and valuable with the intent on uncovering these? :smalltongue:

Maryring
2008-02-15, 05:24 AM
Martin.
Imma.
Angel.

Those who've read the Depression thread knows why.

Agamid
2008-02-15, 05:39 AM
only three? aw... that's too hard...

David Sylvian, Neil Gaiman and JRR Tolkien...

Aah! there are so many people i'd love the have dinner with, why must it only be three?

The Rose Dragon
2008-02-15, 05:50 AM
Zooey Deschanel.

Tori Amos.

Ludwig Van Beethoven.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-15, 06:03 AM
Phillip Pullman,
Brian K Vaughan,
Chris Evans The brother/sister, who I nearly had.

Jagg
2008-02-15, 06:10 AM
Any three people huh?

Sooo many to choose from.

I am completely torn by either having a wild party where I would invite

Hugh Hefner

Bono

And Elle Macpherson

Or

Terry Pratchett
Neil Gaiman
and David Gemmell

Can't I have both?

JAGG

Reinboom
2008-02-15, 06:44 AM
I have decided that I would invite three people who are also capable of magically inviting three other people who I would want to have dinner with.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-15, 06:47 AM
I have decided that I would invite three people who are also capable of magically inviting three other people who I would want to have dinner with.

But what if those three magical people were really boring? Or horrible? Although you now have nine other guests who're lovely/interesting, that could all be ruined by your stuck-up magical folks. :smalleek:

Reinboom
2008-02-15, 06:48 AM
But what if those three magical people were really boring? Or horrible? Although you now have nine other guests who're lovely/interesting, that could all be ruined by your stuck-up magical folks. :smalleek:

Duct tape solves everything. :smalltongue:

Emrylon
2008-02-15, 07:31 AM
Right I know I could choose three very important people from history, or three greek philosophers (which would be intresting I have to admit) I'm going to choose these:

Phil Lynnot - Lead singer/bassist of Thin Lizzy, he is my biggest musical inspiration
Flea - because I love his playing style and hes just cool
John Entwhistle - AWESOME

Ok I know I just choose three bassists, I didn't intend to but there we go...

SMEE
2008-02-15, 08:09 AM
Easy.
Mom, Dad and Amber. :smallsmile:

Nightwing
2008-02-15, 08:12 AM
I would take one with Patrick Dempsey (who wouldn't?), Heath Ledger, and Sean hayes.

Dihan
2008-02-15, 08:15 AM
I'd like to dine with Terry Pratchett, Shigeru Miyamoto and Jack Coleman (Mr Bennet off Heroes).

Nyello
2008-02-15, 08:25 AM
I can think of 2 people that I would definitely invite but there are too many 3rd guest nominees for me to decide.

The two are:

J.R.R. Tolkien. I'm a fan of his work. He is an awesome storyteller. It can't be but fun.

Kurt Godel. He was a renowned mathematician/logician. He was paranoid. How much cooler can it get? And I will probably get to eat his share of food too.

I'm da Rogue!
2008-02-15, 08:31 AM
Diogenes the Cynic
Karl Marx
Marquis de Sade

T'ze'hai
2008-02-15, 08:38 AM
Sir Arthur Canon Doyle (writer of Sherlock Holmes) whom I would like to ask everything about his other books/stories/ideas. Just because I know Holmes wasn't his favorite character but the public didn't let him kill him, and he had so many other good stories... And he was smart.:smallcool:

My grandpa, who died when I was 1 year old. Other family members say I have a lot in common with him, but I have not even memories of him! :smallannoyed:

Third person.... hmmm I don't know :smallconfused:
I might try a highschool friend whose family moved (and so did he, duh) and I lost sight of him... Wonder what he's up to nowadays...

http://dragcave.ath.cx/image/kbBd.gif (http://dragcave.ath.cx/viewdragon/kbBd)

FoE
2008-02-15, 08:38 AM
Jesus. Because then we wouldn't have to spring for wine. :smalltongue:

I'm da Rogue. Yes, I'm giving away one of my chances to have dinner with ANYONE IN THE WORLD just to be with her.

Joan of Arc. Because hey, Jesus needs a date too.

((I'm going to hell, aren't I?))

Ziren
2008-02-15, 08:44 AM
Mahatma Ghandi - You could call him my idol

Einstein - Not because of his scientific achievements, but for a discussion about ethics (involving nuclear bombs)

Jesus, if he existed.
Nietzsche if he didn't.

I'm da Rogue!
2008-02-15, 08:51 AM
((I'm going to hell, aren't I?))

Even worse- you might get a warning from the mods for this post!:smallbiggrin:

ghost_warlock
2008-02-15, 08:51 AM
H.P. Lovecraft, Charles Darwin, and Terry Pratchett. :smallsmile:

Edit: Y'know, I think those choices say pretty much everything anyone'd ever need to know about me...

Telonius
2008-02-15, 09:00 AM
My mother, my father, and my half-sister. I'd love to meet them.

Ashtar
2008-02-15, 10:33 AM
We must either assume we can speak the same language or be provided by very very fast and efficient translators.

Here is my program of the week:

Monday evening: Physics through the Ages.
Hipparchus, Leonardo Da Vinci, and Sir Isaac Newton for a wonderful evening of discussion on progression of science throughout history. I would be dwarfed by the brainpower at the table, but just to see these three together would be a treat.

Tuesday evening: Computer Science
Pāṇini, Charles Babbage and Alan Turing. Here I would feel slightly more at ease, grammars, engineering and computer science, from the early beginnings.

Wednesday Evening: Women of History
Hatshepsut, Empress Suiko of Japan and Yekaterina (Catherine) II Alekseyevna of Russia. The insight provided by these women, who all ruled, would be inestimable.

Thursday Evening: Great Military leaders
Sun Tzu, Hannibal and Napoléon Bonaparte. Three military leaders who shaped (or tried to shape) the world and warfare itself!

Friday Evening: Space, the final Frontier
Yuri Gagarin, "Buzz" Edwin Eugene Aldrin, Jr. and Jules Gabriel Verne, just for the sheer pleasure of seeing Verne with the first man in space and the second man on the moon.

Saturday Evening: Poets and Writers
Apollonius of Rhodes, Publius Vergilius Maro (Virgil) and William Shakespeare, hopefully I might get some tips for role playing scenarios.

Sunday Evening: One final interview
Archimedes of Syracuse, because I would have so much to ask him that there would be no room for anyone else to speak.

Doc Leech
2008-02-15, 10:47 AM
well, i could try (and fail) to go all intellectual and pick philosophers and cultural leaders galore, but i think deep down inside i just want to be, well... stupid. i mean, it'd be great to talk to all the obvious and hugely famous folks, but i bet at the end of the night i'd like to be able to say something like "i thumb wrestled a shark, fought a super-monkey to a standstill, and ran in naked drunken circles for 34 minutes, all premeditated," same as every night. is that so much to ask?

with that in mind, i pick brian regan, phil hartman, jim belushi, all of whom are sure to find me plenty of monkeys to fight. shortly after making these picks, i come to my senses and pick megan fox (the girl from transformers), jennifer aniston and elizabeth hurley. also bender.

and if there's a round 3: my ex, her fiancee, and a rabid ninja. as calvin would say, i'm a simple man with complex tastes

Skippy
2008-02-15, 10:52 AM
Three people is just too little... But let's try:

Einstein, Newton and Aristotle.

Lennon, Mozart and Beethoven.

Da Vinci, Edison and Galileo.

Isaac Asimov, Harlan Elison and Philip K. Abbreviation-for-Richard-that-the-forum-filter-won't-let-me-use.

Death and Love (Cupid, if you want a personification for Love)

Deepblue706
2008-02-15, 01:27 PM
Plato, Goethe and Julius Caesar

TwoBitWriter
2008-02-15, 02:44 PM
This is an easy subject for me, I always had the same three people in mind.

1) My Caveman Ancestor - I would really like to get in touch with my roots.

2) Prince Vlad Tepes - So I could get the record set straight.

3) Frederick the Great - King of Prussia, one of my ultimate heroes!

CurlyKitGirl
2008-02-15, 02:56 PM
Terry Pratchett and Freddie Mercury are a given.
Love the books; love the music. Wish I could have met/meet them.

Third:
Too hard to choose.
I could pick a number of people on the forum; anyone from Queen; David Bowie; any of my favourite authors. Any of my heroes...
Couldn't I just have ten parties with one new huest each time?

Three really is too small. Five would be better.

Cobra_Ikari
2008-02-15, 03:03 PM
...the chimeric hybrid of this forum's members. And I'm undecided as to the other two. >.>

Supagoof
2008-02-15, 03:18 PM
Walt Disney - Course. Gotta get the know how on all things Goof.

Jimmy Hoffa - Figure out where his body is buried.

Kate Beckinsale - Mmmmmm, wouldn't be much talking, but that's just me. :smallamused:

RandomLogic
2008-02-15, 03:52 PM
I think I would choose 3 of the following 4 people: Einstein, Da Vinci, Archimedes, Neil Degras Tyson. Sure its kinda cliche, but I'd pick pretty general thinkers from a broad range of times. I think not only would it be an interesting conversation for me, but for everyone else to pick each others brains.

Jibar
2008-02-15, 04:53 PM
1. Avril Lavigne. Because I love her so.
2. Tim Burton. He's been such an influence on all my work, I would kill to even have the opportunity to have dinner with him. A personal dinner with him to discuss his work, his own views on life and the world around us, bounce ideas off one another. It would be brilliant.
3. Friedrich Nietzsche. I'm sure that after he's persuaded me that life means nothing and all, I'll persuade him that we should thus fill every second with something then, so we'll run out without paying and go play on some swings. Plus I could steal his moustache when he's not looking and run like the damned.

North
2008-02-15, 08:53 PM
Kevin Smith - Hilarious guy, plus it would be awesome to just have a conversation.
Stan Lee - Nuff said.
Kirsten Dunst - Just because of my mega crush on her:smallredface:

Off the top of my head.

The first two can leave before desert though.:smallbiggrin:

phoenixineohp
2008-02-15, 10:18 PM
My Dad's birth parents and if he has siblings, them too.
My mother's father (my Papa). His time was far to short and I wish I could know him now.

Robert J Oppenheimer.
Prof Edward Jones Imhotep.
Edward Teller

I could keep going.

potatocubed
2008-02-16, 04:51 AM
Leonardo da Vinci (Genius)
David Hume (Scottish philosopher renowned for his scathing wit)
My friend Christina, because there's no way she should miss out on this conversation.

Felixaar
2008-02-16, 05:21 AM
Duct tape solves everything. :smalltongue:

That made me laugh so hard. Everyones looking at me now, and Ill probably think of it again when im at work. Way to go :smallbiggrin: *hi-fives*

Also I never realised how many people here have lost siblings. *hugs them all* In a way, I kinda have two missing brothers, but they would've only been step brothers. Considering I get along with my only other step brother better than any of my blood brothers, I doubt this would've been an issue.

Three people? I'd have to choose three friends of mine, Anuan, Cindy and Rebecca, since I dont live close enough to any of them. Though in this case, "go to dinner" would probably turn into "order magic pizza and stay up till three am watching cheesy horror movies".

But if we were going with famous people, it'd have to be Brian Clevinger, Tim Buckley, and a defenseless Jack Thompson. C'mon, it'd be freaking hillarious.

So outside of those two, I dont think I've got a real one. I wouldnt want to summon up some random historical figures or heroes of mine out of the space time stream - I'd rather meet them on their own terms, so I dont seem so fanboy.

On a side note... Otto Von Bismark, Guissepie Garibaldi and Napoleon.

Ceska
2008-02-16, 06:18 AM
Forum members: Queeny, Curly, Roguey, and then I'd try to sneak the Snakeboy in. Ina too. I guess I'll just misread the three as thirty. That okay?

Dead people: Marx, Nietzsche and... hmm, I'd have to think about it, being true to my signature it'd have to be Georg Weerth, but I think someone like Caspar David Friedrich would be fascinating too. Then again, I don't know how much one could talk with him, or better, any of them. I'd have to do a lot of listening.

GolemsVoice
2008-02-16, 11:14 AM
Terry Pratchett. As other posters said, he is brilliant in his books, and I would really like to have conversation with him.
Karl Marx, if he knew what had become of his ideology. Would he approve? Excuse? Or regret? And would he publish his works again if he knew what would have become of them?
Adolf Hitler. Don't get me wrong, I absololutely don't like him. No one should. But just to talk to him, find out what moves men to make such beasts of themselves, to become butchers of millions. Well, orovided he would speak to me in any way that would make normal conversation possible.

CommodoreFluffy
2008-02-16, 11:28 AM
IT would be cool to meet Tokugawa Ieasu. or Toyotomi Hideyoshi, or Oda Nobunaga, but them all at the same time might get a bit loud, and messy:biggrin:

Em Blackleaf
2008-02-17, 12:13 AM
Famous People:
1. Pete Townshend
2. Brendon Small
3. Groucho Marx
Playgrounders:
1. Stalker Coolgaelbert. ((:smalltongue:))
2. Landfish (Almighty Salmon)
3. Zeratul

And then I'd sneak in everybody else in a duffel bag! :smalltongue: