PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: September

Lilly
2004-09-01, 03:36 PM
I don't know if I'm butting in the comic thread making rotation, or if I'm suspossed to wait until the comic is up but here it is!

Even though it's not up yet #100 is gonna rock some socks. ;D

Adghar
2004-09-01, 04:21 PM
Well it was stickied, so I assume you did the right thing. Unless you sticked it yourself.

Lilly, have you been to the Big 1-0-0 thread at all? You have to use reverse reverse reverse reverse reverse psychology. In other words, I DO BELIEVE COMIC #100 SHOULD SUCK! YEAH! SUCK BAD! Poor psychology, reversed so many times. In any case, I know my socks are gonna be rocked.

Wren
2004-09-01, 04:32 PM
I'm anticipating when they complete the mission, and go back to town for training and bar hopping ;D

"I'm sing sing singing my new song! new new new!"

penguinscanfly81
2004-09-01, 04:56 PM
Depending on how early it is posted, im hoping to read it tonight. I start school tomorrow, so its one of the worst times for me to stay up late as tonight i need to get into normal sleeping habits.

GypsyThorn
2004-09-01, 10:06 PM
Depending on how early it is posted, im hoping to read it tonight. I start school tomorrow, so its one of the worst times for me to stay up late as tonight i need to get into normal sleeping habits.

Excuse me, PCF81, if your first day of school is tomorrow, you really should get to bed a bit early. OOTS100 will still be there when you return from school. But ONLY after you finish your homework. AND tomorrow's homework too! And clean your room. NO ONE'S GOING ON THAT COMPUTER UNTIL THEIR ROOM IS CLEAN! That doesn't mean shoving everything under the bed either.

On the other hand, if that doesn't work for my 14 year old daughter, it probably isn't going to work for you.

(And by the way, no, they can't.)

Adghar
2004-09-01, 10:21 PM

Same fix I'm in. Do you happen to go to a middle school? Perhaps... a TACOMA DISTRICT MIDDLE SCHOOL?! No? Oh. Ok. Nevermind.

Lilly
2004-09-01, 10:42 PM
LOL!!!! ROFLMAO!!!

There was somthing special, it updated an hour early.

Haley gets an offical super-cool use of feminine wiles award.

Adghar
2004-09-01, 10:47 PM
No, the special thing was that it was the kind of funny that makes people like me laugh. What kind of people are people like me? Who knows? Who cares? In any case, I actually L(ed)OL! Nothing gets me to LOL! I ams teh amazed! This is the best birthd- What? Oh yeah. Sound guy, start up that inspirational/happy music again. This is the best 100th comic ever! *Huggles Rich*

davericsdamsel
2004-09-01, 11:28 PM
HALEY ROCKS

::)

Invariel
2004-09-02, 05:35 AM
I concur. Haley does rock.

penguinscanfly81
2004-09-02, 05:45 AM
This is the benefit of getting up early every day. I can view the comic now. I think Rich did it, because everyone was hyped up about #100, and he wanted to show us not to expect anything. Or maybe it was cause we stole and posted all his ideas. I have to say this wasnt unexpected.

Nighthawk4
2004-09-02, 06:01 AM
A wonderful Strip. ;)

It was SO clear that Haley (who is a Rogue after all) was conning the kid, and of course, as a naive teenage boy, he fell for it - hook, line and sinker.

Also, of course, Haley found out a lot of useful information, so we even moved the plot along as well.

The best part is the comment about Strip Number 100. Not only are they aware of all the PnP technical details, but they know what number Strip there are in as well.

Brilliant :D

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-09-02, 08:23 AM
*snrk* Bwahahahahaha! I love it! I think this was more fun than some big special thing for #100 anyway. I'm with Adghar - I rarely actually LOL at things I read, and this one did it.

*applause*

Aerysil1
2004-09-02, 10:25 AM
I want Haley in my party.

Wren
2004-09-02, 10:38 AM
Stupid goblin obviously failed his sense motive check.

Although I bet Haley's bluff is really high.

(What level are they, anyways?)

RawBearNYC
2004-09-02, 10:55 AM
(What level are they, anyways?)

Check the Check out the FAQ (http://www.giantitp.com/FAQ.html#faq6a)

Nareth
2004-09-02, 11:25 AM
My only problem with the whole thing is, if Xykon needed someone with "a pure heart", wouldn't Haley be the wrong choice? :)

GREAT comic Rich!!! Congratulations on reaching 100, and here's to hoping this will go on for a long, long time.

Wren
2004-09-02, 11:28 AM
Her heart is 24 karats of pure gold, possibly encrusted with some rubies.

Stolen from someone, of course.

Tarlonniel
2004-09-02, 11:29 AM
I love the Ivy League admissions demon. Taken straight from life ;)

RawBearNYC
2004-09-02, 11:31 AM
My only problem with the whole thing is, if Xykon needed someone with "a pure heart", wouldn't Haley be the wrong choice? :)
That's assuming that demon boy has your insights about Haley. For him, it's probably, "hey, hot human chick, she's gotta be pure of heart, cause I wanna...".

Grey Watcher
2004-09-02, 11:55 AM

She was good enough for the Air Sigil.

RawBearNYC
2004-09-02, 12:10 PM
Morover, didn't we see haley hit with the Unholy Blight spell way back in one of the early strips? Belkar is the one to worry about.

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-09-02, 12:19 PM
Hey, I figured it out!!

SimonMoon5 said:

Okay, the weapon sound effects are "pierce" for a piercing weapon, "slash" for the slashing weapon, "bludgeon" for the bludgeoning weapon... and "bonk" for the goblin's weapon, which must do "bonking" damage.

"bonk" is the sound effect for bludgeoning weapons doing nonleathal damage. :o

I suppose "poke" for the piercing weapons and "slap" for the slashing weapons doing nonleathal damage. ???

Anyway, Strip 100 is great!! "Just a phase." Love it!

penguinscanfly81
2004-09-02, 02:43 PM
Stupid goblin obviously failed his sense motive check.

Although I bet Haley's bluff is really high.

Maybe her motive really was to kiss the goblin... until she saw him up close.

penguinscanfly81
2004-09-02, 04:42 PM
Hey, I figured it out!!

SimonMoon5 said:

"bonk" is the sound effect for bludgeoning weapons doing nonleathal damage. :o

I suppose "poke" for the piercing weapons and "slap" for the slashing weapons doing nonleathal damage. ???

Anyway, Strip 100 is great!! "Just a phase." Love it!

And 'thunk' is the sound made when one smacks their head against a hollow goblin head.

Josh_Kablack
2004-09-03, 12:13 AM
I love the Ivy League admissions demon. Taken straight from life ;)

The patches on his elbows were the perfect touch.

Penguin_King
2004-09-03, 01:24 AM
It probably says something about me that I had to stop and think about whether the events of this comic would be game-legal. ^^;

(My conclusion? "Probably". ;) )

Invariel
2004-09-03, 05:11 AM
And 'thunk' is the sound made when one smacks their head against a hollow goblin head.

So, does that do thunking damage then?

DamotheBoyWonder
2004-09-03, 11:25 AM
So let's recap...

We have slashing damage, piercing damage, bludgeoning damage, bonking damage, poking damage, slapping damage and thunking damage.

Forget THAC0, who said ADnD version 2 was the complicated one?! :o

(yes, I know most of those don't exist really)

So, does that do thunking damage then?

It does plot convenience damage. ;)

Adghar
2004-09-04, 10:33 PM
What's next? Zapping damage?

Gdrad
2004-09-05, 06:58 AM
NOO STOP GIVING HIM IDEAS!! YOULL DOOM US ALL!!! HE WIL ZAP THE FORUM!!!
*runas around with the end is near sign*

Adghar
2004-09-05, 01:00 PM
Are you from Empire Earth? If so, could you please cast Malaria on Damo?

Tarlonniel
2004-09-06, 10:39 AM
Woot! Elan rocks! ;D

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-06, 11:49 AM
TO XYKON!!

Adghar
2004-09-06, 12:08 PM
One thing is fer sure: The DC was raised by Roy jumping to conclusions :P.

This one was quite excellent.

Nighthawk4
2004-09-06, 12:41 PM
Imagine that - Elan competent and useful ???

Very Good ;)

Starbuck_II
2004-09-06, 12:50 PM
What would Belkar need with harvested organs?

Adghar
2004-09-06, 01:50 PM
Ideas:
1. Money! Sell them!
2. Feed...
3. Blood, y'know, for a ritual.
4. Fun.

Lilly
2004-09-06, 02:34 PM
Well.... now they know goblins succumb to embarisment rather than threats of force.

And my money's on 1 and 4 for Belkar's kidney collection.

Lilly
2004-09-06, 05:21 PM
Little yellow shirt glasses goblin dude has braces too!

MWEEEHEHEHEHEHEHE

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-06, 08:39 PM
Who wants to buy goblin kidneys though? o.O

I think it's more for fun.

special_k
2004-09-07, 03:30 AM
when i first saw elan say "i'll cry", i was shocked. i mean, jaw-dropping, eyes wide, fall all the way back in the chair.

then, when i read the rest, i was laughing hysterically.

that actually caused my brother to come over and see what was so funny, and he read a couple strips, and i think i converted him.

w00t.

Starbuck_II
2004-09-07, 08:24 AM
Who wants to buy goblin kidneys though? o.O

I think it's more for fun.
Wounded goblins of course. Maybe he sells them in the black market...

Invariel
2004-09-07, 10:22 AM
Anyone remember the earlier pictures for 'Goblin Chirurgeon' in the earlier days of M:tG? He'd need Goblin kidneys.

Wolfix
2004-09-07, 12:04 PM
When I saw the last panel of the latest comic, I just had to delurk to say that Belkar rocks! Giant, you are brilliant :D

DamotheBoyWonder
2004-09-07, 12:15 PM
Wounded goblins of course. Maybe he sells them in the black market...

Hey, maybe Belkar is selling them to hospitals, and he's actually a good guy!

Or, more likely, he's selling them overpriced to people that need kidney transplants and are desparate for anything...

evileeyore
2004-09-07, 04:41 PM
Or, more likely, he's selling them overpriced to people that need kidney transplants and are desparate for anything...

...like the Goblin that lies bleeding at his feet.

Hey why just rob them and kill them? Rob them and extort their kidneys for cash from the Gobbo's family.

Ever optimisticly yours--EvilE

GypsyThorn
2004-09-07, 05:03 PM
...Hey why just rob them and kill them? Rob them and extort their kidneys for cash from the Gobbo's family...

When our DM started getting chintzy with the GP, our party got in the habit of carrying around lists of stuff crafters needed for magical stuff. You know - troll blood for healing potions, dragon scales for armor, giant hair for strength belts, and so on. Every time we killed a monster, out would come the list. It basically turned us from hack and slash to hack and stash.

We haven't seen what treasure looks like in OOTS - except for Haley's bag of feminine supplies - but dollars to donuts goblin kidneys can be used for something. Maybe they're a component in some spell from the nephrogenic school of magic.

DamotheBoyWonder
2004-09-07, 05:42 PM
Hey why just rob them and kill them? Rob them and extort their kidneys for cash from the Gobbo's family.

"Leave 10,000 unmarked nonsequential gold pieces with the troll under the bridge, or the kidneys GET IT!"

Potato_the_Great
2004-09-07, 08:54 PM
I need to try Elan's method of persuasion.

Lilly
2004-09-08, 11:55 PM
This one left me laughing so hard I cried. I am so glad to see that band guys, well just guys in general don't change across universes. (Their humor got stuck in 3rd grade and they love it!)

Wanderer
2004-09-09, 12:01 AM
And now would be the time to cleave off of the bard and the ranger... ;D

Oh no... I just remembered that most of the rest of my roleplaying group reads this comic. :o Heaven help us... we'll never be able to use Great Cleave again!

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-09-09, 01:29 AM
The cleavage joke made me chuckle. Elan's last comment had me cracking up like Elan and Belkar is panel 7 ;D

To counter Lilly's male humor point: my GF, who plays in one of my games, would be just as likely to make that kind of joke as any of the guys at the table ;)

Invariel
2004-09-09, 01:48 AM
I'm having a hard time believing that my (mostly immature) gaming groups have -never- made that joke. Wow.

MacDude
2004-09-09, 02:41 AM
Ack! He's killing zombies!!! Oh wait, they're already dead... I guess they'l be ok.

Just wait for the 9th level zombies... (Apply template!)

P.S. Roy has great boobies! :o

Lilly
2004-09-09, 01:43 PM
The cleavage joke made me chuckle. Elan's last comment had me cracking up like Elan and Belkar is panel 7 ;D

To counter Lilly's male humor point: my GF, who plays in one of my games, would be just as likely to make that kind of joke as any of the guys at the table ;)

We think it, we typically get a chuckle out of it, we just don't find it as hillariously funny.

GypsyThorn
2004-09-09, 02:25 PM
Comment on Great Cleave:

Aside from the newly rendered joke of a name, I have to say the Great Cleave feat is one of my new favorites. Even with the multiple kills allowed per round to fighters on creatures under 1 HD, wading into battle against hordes of creatures was always a chore. Even if they couldn't hit without a natural 20, it always took way too many rounds of combat to get them all. And if you used a fireball, they left a nasty stain.

With Great Cleave, you get them all in one place (which wasn't usually a problem, since they tended to charge mindlessly into battle anyways. If they had any sense, they would have failed morale before they even showed up.) Then one fighter with enough pluses to damage goes in and takes care of the mess of them in literally one swell foop. I swear the first time I had my character use the feat against nine giant spiders, I practically died laughing. The elven archer won initiative, picked off one of the spiders. My fighter was next, and proceeded to slice through the remaining eight like a hot knife through Cheese Whiz©. The looks on the faces of the rest of the players was priceless.

There may be a few feats for which I don't see much use, but Great Cleave was a great addition. Kudos to whoever thought it up.

Khanji
2004-09-09, 06:30 PM
I liked the "great cleave" jokes in the strip, but it looked to me that Roy took more than a 5 foot step for his action while he was whacking the zombies.

This of course means either (1) Strip 103 shows the Game Gods sending the team back 5 rounds, and have Roy swarmed with zombies (and I've seen DMs do that too), or (2) Roy tries to later hit a 1 HD monster, but the Game Gods decree that because of the previous mishap, he can't hit the guy, and the 1 HD character stabs Roy, and puts him in a coma (seen that one too).

Great strip though. Trying to imagine stick people with boobies. :)

Starbuck_II
2004-09-09, 09:15 PM
I liked the "great cleave" jokes in the strip, but it looked to me that Roy took more than a 5 foot step for his action while he was whacking the zombies.

This of course means either (1) Strip 103 shows the Game Gods sending the team back 5 rounds, and have Roy swarmed with zombies (and I've seen DMs do that too), or (2) Roy tries to later hit a 1 HD monster, but the Game Gods decree that because of the previous mishap, he can't hit the guy, and the 1 HD character stabs Roy, and puts him in a coma (seen that one too).

Great strip though. Trying to imagine stick people with boobies. :)

There is a feat that allows you to move 5 feet each one up to your base speed when you cleave. I'm not good at name but I will find it tomorrow.

So does Roy have a feat he shouldn't have? Or did he wish for it when we weren't there?
(I think a wish might be able to grant a feat if you risk danger)

Adghar
2004-09-10, 12:22 AM
My compliments on the latest one: Hilarious. I came home in constant agony (I have asthma, as well as, at the time, a very bad case of itchy coughy throat.). Actually, I didn't hurt that bad, but still. Once upon a time, I was in agony. Once upon a time, I flipped the channel to OotS. Once upon a time, the agony was gone. (Well it actually increased from the giggling, but I didn't really feel it.) The End.

mossfoot
2004-09-10, 12:10 PM
I never noticed Roy boobies before... must have been all the armor ;)

Callista
2004-09-10, 06:30 PM
*adds Roy to List of Characters Whose Gender is in Question*

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-10, 10:00 PM
*adds Roy to List of Characters Whose Gender is in Question*

His dad calling him "Eldest Son" might be a clue. You'd think he of all people would know...

Shatteredtower
2004-09-11, 03:54 AM
I found the eyebrow motions particularly amusing in that strip -- Roy's especially.

Sundog
2004-09-11, 03:48 PM
I liked it, but it's not a classic.

Adghar
2004-09-12, 12:48 AM
I liked it, but it's not a classic.

Yes, it is. *Whacks j00 with ultimate power of teh carp*

Potato_the_Great
2004-09-12, 01:07 AM
I love the feat great cleave....

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-12, 10:18 PM
At the risk of being logicked to death like the Giant always does whenever I ask a stupid question, why haven't we seen any zombie hordes in the dungeon up to this point?

Shatteredtower
2004-09-12, 11:01 PM
Xykon keeps them shrink wrapped until he needs them -- otherwise they go all moldy and stale.

Er... moldier and staler.

The Giant
2004-09-13, 06:01 AM
Hate to do this, but I am too sick to get a strip done tonight. Hopefully, my antibiotics will start doing something soon and Thursday's strip will be on time.

Nighthawk4
2004-09-13, 07:32 AM
Sorry to hear that.

Get Well Soon, Giant.

Nareth
2004-09-13, 09:46 AM
Get well soon Rich, and don't worry, your loyal fans won't be going anywhere :) We'll gladly wait for you to get better.

As for the question about being able to take a 5 foot step and Cleave, there are 2 feats I can think of that allow it. One is Supreme Cleave, from the old WotC Warriors book from early 3.0e.

The other is one I took for my fighter, from the Ultimate Book of Feats, called Cleaving Charge. It allows for a 5 foot step between killings. I also took another feat from that book called Trail of Blood. This one allows a fighter to move half his base movement rate between killings. Now if I could only get my DM to give me boots of speed...

GypsyThorn
2004-09-13, 10:36 AM
Hate to do this, but I am too sick to get a strip done tonight. Hopefully, my antibiotics will start doing something soon and Thursday's strip will be on time.

Two comments, in descending order of importance:

1. Stay in bed. Don't rush it, get back when you're ready. Drink that chicken soup (and take the antibiotics. ALL OF THEM!). Even when you're feeling better, stay in bed another day. In the long run, it will be worth it.

2. Why in your drawing do you look like a goblin? In your weakened state, is the Curse of the Syndicates finally taking hold?

SimonMoon5
2004-09-13, 12:09 PM
2. Why in your drawing do you look like a goblin?

In the medium of American comic strips and cartoons, green skin is used to indicate sickness and nausea in particular.

Ferret
2004-09-13, 01:03 PM
Or he swolloed to much Green Kryptonite? Either way get well soon.

[Edit, my glow tags don't work!

Solveliss
2004-09-13, 01:56 PM
I dont know why anyone hasnt mentioned it yet but I will: That Im sick panel is halrious! I about busted a gut reading the words "lets break the 4th wall".

Ive been in states like this before so I know how it is. Keep strong man, and rember. Your a man and when men get sick,we whine and moan and act like we'er dying, even if its only a cold. ;D

Medesha
2004-09-13, 02:23 PM
The stick figure for Significant Other in the Playground is so cute.

DrDoom
2004-09-13, 04:08 PM
Yup, get well soon. Oh, and whoever is taking care of you gets my greetings, too.

mossfoot
2004-09-13, 08:42 PM
The stick figure for Significant Other in the Playground is so cute.

especially the freckles ;)

Get well soon! Nothing worse than a Giant getting sick all over the Playground... it's hell to clean up!

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-13, 09:13 PM
*plays the lute*

Feel, feel, feel, feel better soon :)

Shatteredtower
2004-09-13, 09:18 PM
In the medium of American comic strips and cartoons, green skin is used to indicate sickness and nausea in particular.

But why is it used to represent goblins in a D&D setting, when they are not, nor never have been, green in any edition?

???

Oh. And here's to a quick and lasting recovery.

GypsyThorn
2004-09-14, 10:35 AM
I dont know why anyone hasnt mentioned it yet but I will: That Im sick panel is halrious! I about busted a gut reading the words "lets break the 4th wall".

Wait! I just realized something really, really important about the OOTS!

Let's walk through a few salient points. (That's as opposed to walking into a few salient points, which would hurt.) What we have here in OOTS-Land are stick figures. Most of the people I know are three dimensional, having all of height, breadth, and depth. Even the really short people I know have some height. (The exceptions to this are my accounting acquaintances, who have no depth. I'm sure you all can come up with examples of people with no breadth. Or maybe bad breadth. Whatever. Tangent over.)

However, OOTSonians are stick figures. They are drawn without the demands of shading or perspective. They are indeed distinctly two-dimensional, and thus indigenous to Flatland.

So, when they literally jump out of the page and land in the middle of our gaming table, they are breaking through the third-wall.

On the other hand, most of these characters are quite deep. Roy has his deep background. Elan has been found to have unexpected depths. Haley (and now Roy too!) has cleavage. V has scary, scary depth. Durkin has been fleshed out nicely. That only leaves Belkan, who not only has no depth but not much height. So, for the most part, although the characters are flat, they are deep. So, if Rich wants his characters to occasionally break through the fourth wall, I think it should be permitted.

Aser
2004-09-14, 02:54 PM
Get well soon, Giant Rich.

The color of the goblins indicates that they are green with envy over the depth of the other characters, doesn't it?

DrDoom
2004-09-14, 06:30 PM
Thats a good question: Who invented the green Orcs?

And thus green Gobbos, who are always thought of as "lesser" Orcs (at least in Middle-earth, where the distinction between them is not really existant and its more a matter of naming the guys than of having different people, and quite a few other settings).

I know that Warhammer (which is a very "generic" tolkieniesque Fantasy Background, except for the color of the Orcs, actually) has them as "Greenskins", just as Warcraft. Other Settings (maybe Settings that not began as an enterprise, but as an Artists Idea?)

Matuse
2004-09-14, 07:22 PM
I wonder what The Giant has that antibiotics would be given for...antibiotics fight the flu about as well as snails fly to the moon.

Sizel
2004-09-15, 08:52 AM
<<antibiotics fight the flu about as well as snails fly to the moon.>>

http://www.lilgames.com/mancala_snails.shtml

Rocket powered snails...

The Giant
2004-09-15, 01:06 PM
I wonder what The Giant has that antibiotics would be given for...antibiotics fight the flu about as well as snails fly to the moon.

I'm guessing you don't read the home page.

Aser
2004-09-15, 11:33 PM
What, you're requiring a certain level of reading skills, now? I thought we just had to look at the pictures!

Matuse
2004-09-16, 02:19 AM
I'm guessing you don't read the home page

Nope, link straight to The Stick.

Welcome back though!

The Giant
2004-09-16, 09:00 AM
The comic will be late, but there will be one. I just fell asleep making it last night since I'm still sick.

Nighthawk4
2004-09-16, 09:08 AM
No problem Giant - We can wait.

Just make sure you get well before you try to do too much. ;)

Best Wishes.

RawBearNYC
2004-09-16, 10:17 AM
Nope, link straight to The Stick.

Welcome back though!

And here we went through all the trouble of creating a home page for you all. With rotating OOTS characters and everything :(

Get well, Rich.

Zherog
2004-09-16, 10:59 AM
*I* link right to the homepage (with rotating charactes and everything). Does that help make you feel better, Ray? :)

The Giant
2004-09-16, 11:12 AM
OK, it's up now.

Christian
2004-09-16, 11:17 AM
May I be the first to say:

Totally worth the wait.

You know, most people trying to work through illness churn out crap. I know I do. It's just not fair!

(Hee-hee. Lavender ... loofa ... giggle.)

Tarlonniel
2004-09-16, 11:38 AM
Oh, is that what the poofy bath things are called? Loofas? Hee hee... I like it. Loofa. Loofa loofa loofa loofa loofa.....

Yes, parsley is much scarier than nutmeg! In fact it's almost as frightening as dill pickle slices! :o

Shatteredtower
2004-09-16, 11:56 AM
Parsley is not scarier than nutmeg when you serve it mixed with powdered howler skull!

Hmm... nah, couldn't be him -- the dialogue is all wrong...

It could be my second, flippant guess, but I will keep silent. We can all just assume I guessed wrong, okay? :P

lartinger
2004-09-16, 12:56 PM
I LOVE that they are rehearsing for the big fight scene! Made me laugh out loud. (Now we know what monsters do with their time while waiting for the heroes to reach them in the dungeon -- hee!)

Alarra
2004-09-16, 01:05 PM
absolutely fabulous.....you know...for some reason I always picture the monster hiding in the dark as an itty-bitty squirrel.

Aser
2004-09-16, 01:54 PM
Xykon cracks me up, especially striding about with those hysterically funny white feet. Great comic, Rich.

Lilly
2004-09-16, 06:01 PM
It was well worth the wait. Well Oots always is, but this is a good one too. I will be imagining all movie and tv and other drama directors as xykon now.

The 29th of this month is the one year anniversary of the Order of the Stick.

DrDoom
2004-09-16, 08:43 PM
Yay! And there shall be much rejoice! Oh, btw, when will the filler and gueststrips be up again (ie. when will teh exrtras section be up?).

Oh, and btw, the goblin commanders line "miscallaneous monsters in the middle" made laugh out loud. That was really hilarious. Oh, and that Xykon seemed to be like an "eventmanager" preparing a big festival or something....
Good humor, I really loved it.

mossfoot
2004-09-16, 10:01 PM
Obviously Xykon has no idea just how scary a loofa can be. The fool!

Adghar
2004-09-16, 11:46 PM
I LOLed again.

Curse you Rich. Your abilities are unnatural! In fact, I would call them Supernatural abilities.

Create Comic Strip: Spend 2 hours. Create a sheet of paper/webpage that will cause laughing for 3 rounds.

Starbuck_II
2004-09-17, 11:44 AM
Anyone elser think the monster watches Martha Stewart?

I bet the monseter is a Guinea pig, can't you just picture it lol

Great comic ;D

Aser
2004-09-17, 01:32 PM
In point of fact, I've been worrying that the super weapon in the darkness is Martha Stewart! *Ahhhh! Run screaming!*

Blackdog
2004-09-17, 03:55 PM
I'm wondering if it has something to do with 78 (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=78)...

Josh_Kablack
2004-09-19, 12:32 AM
Nutmeg is definitely scarier than Parsley.
Link (http://www.erowid.org/plants/nutmeg/nutmeg_journal1.shtml)

Further References (http://www.personalhealthzone.com/herbal_medicine/side_effects/nutmeg_side_effects.html)

Aser
2004-09-19, 11:17 AM
Whoa! That puts a new twist on "you can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man," doesn't it?

(Very cool reference site, BTW. My character will make use it in the near future.)

Josh_Kablack
2004-09-19, 05:22 PM
Thanks.
I didn't beleive my roomate when he told me about the time he had to be hospitalized for nutmeg poisoning, so I looked it up myself.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-20, 12:02 AM
Note that the jello has apple chunks in it =o

Lilly
2004-09-20, 12:25 AM
Here comes xykon, here comes xykon, here comes, here comes, here comes xykon, what do we do? we fight, fight, fight! Go Stick!

Grey Watcher
2004-09-20, 12:41 AM
You know, Giant, it's going to be hard to wait tables Tuesday night while I'm raving mad with anticipation of the (anti-?) climatic battle.

Adghar
2004-09-20, 01:45 AM
I liked 104. It was funny, but not a classic. However, the Haley frame got me thinking for some reason. Is she counting her money WHILE fighting goblins? What I'm thinking, is she is preoccupied with the money, while she sneak attacks goblins in her way IN THE NARDS. Which will always hit for a critical, but not always hit. Or are sneak attack bonuses not added to critical hits?

DrDoom
2004-09-20, 05:16 AM
Woot! Go Stick, Go!

Im drooling with eagerness to see Battle!

Oh, and btw, Sneak-attack bonusses are not multiplied (at least in 3.0, but I dont think that that changed) if you land a critical hit.

Matuse
2004-09-20, 09:28 AM
Roy is demonstrating the "kick in the door" philosophy of D&D gaming....almost makes me think that the monster in the shadows is a Beholder, but based on the eyes we've seen of it, that's obviously impossible.

cthon98
2004-09-20, 09:53 AM
ahh Bulls Strength, how many times has thou saved my ass?

:P

Ah man, I love this comic.

Aerysil1
2004-09-20, 09:55 AM
Sigh.... cliffhangers.

Something tells me they busted in on a female goblin harem or something.

Aser
2004-09-20, 10:05 AM
*giggles* Action, exitement, gold -- and giant red demon roaches at a buffet -- my heart is full!

Tarlonniel
2004-09-20, 11:40 AM
Will they be the buffet line or the buffet? Ooooh, suspense! :o

Wanderer
2004-09-21, 08:45 AM
Hmm... I notice one difference between this and my normal campaigns. With us, usually the bard does most of the buffing, and the other casters save their spells for the important stuff (you know, healing paarty members, and blowing thine enemies to bitseth).

RawBearNYC
2004-09-21, 10:57 AM
My Sorcerer in Rich's campaign is a buffer and Enchanter. He's got 1 0-level damaging spell. There have been many fights where all he's done is Buffed the party, and you know, it's not been difficult. I think alot of caster players are uncomfortable sitting out fights, but Larannen Dox doesn't really have that problem. Of course, now that he Bears and Ancestral weapon, he may make with the swinging from time to time.

Sorry, that was completely off topic, here, i'll fix it:

OOTS RULES!!!!

Sundog
2004-09-21, 11:42 AM
I find myself being the "Buff-meister" when I play a Bard. I don't mind; I have enough to keep track of when I have three songs and four buffs going at once!

GypsyThorn
2004-09-22, 08:16 AM
Whatever happened to disco?

Oh, no!

It's beyond the gate!

Please don't open the gate...

mossfoot
2004-09-22, 01:04 PM
WOOT! Time to get busy!

Can't wait!

DrDoom
2004-09-22, 05:35 PM
Err, I just noticed that the disches at the cold buffet (in panel #5, right next to the Goblin High Cleric) are outlined, but their outlines are curved downward instead of upward, making for a strange effect...

Aser
2004-09-23, 12:13 AM
This is OOTS, not John Steinbeck!

(Okay, note that OOTS is infinitely more appealing...)

As a cartoonist myself, I can say

1) Strange perspective shifts can indicate subtle plot shifts.

2) Perspective shifts can enhance the viewer's experience of the piece of art, drawing them more deeply into the work.

3) Bite me, it's the way he drew it.

Yah.

Aser
www.pikerpress.com

The Giant
2004-09-23, 12:17 AM
Actually, that is an optical illusion based on the fact that the version of the comic that I post is only 72 dpi. The plates have an upward curve in the original file, but because they are so narrow, it creates a sort of moire pattern that looks like it is facing down.

Or, in other words,

3) Bite me, it's the way he drew it.

Blackdog
2004-09-23, 03:17 AM
Oh, awesome strip today!

Never let anyone say you cannot achieve incredible effects with line drawings! :)

Terandir
2004-09-23, 05:38 AM
This... is... truly... AWESOME!!!! I officially announce that Belkar is my hero.

This moment is only to compare with the "Matrix"-scene in which the helicopter lowers in front of the skyscraper window and Agent Smith says a final "No!"... 8)

Ehm.. sorry. Got carried away. ::)

Greetz,
Terandir

DrDoom
2004-09-23, 05:41 AM
@Plates
Hm yeah, I somehow expected something like this. Parrallel lines do strange things to your perception...

@OOTS
Yeah! Kill em all, but what are these monsters between the goblins and teh Zombies? The yare as tall as teh Gobbos, but have a different skincolor.

Oh, and I love the Zombie Ogres, btw.

Terandir
2004-09-23, 06:57 AM
Yeah! Kill em all, but what are these monsters between the goblins and teh Zombies? The yare as tall as teh Gobbos, but have a different skincolor.

I figured these were vampires... fangs pointing down and stuff. But I'm not sure. Maybe Goblin Vampires?

Greetz,
Terandir

Nighthawk4
2004-09-23, 07:50 AM
I assumed they were Zombie Goblins - maybe the remains of the ones he used on the Gate when he was bored. ;)

Wanderer
2004-09-23, 08:07 AM
Bah. You call that an army? Why a few Turn Undeads and a Fireball or two and that'll be it. ;D

Abelard
2004-09-23, 08:18 AM
Bah. You call that an army? Why a few Turn Undeads and a Fireball or two and that'll be it.

Wanderer, I thought the same thing, but I figured that the goblin cleric there on the dais had done some bolstering of the undead (I think that's in Complete Divine, TM, (C), and all that).

I'm wondering why Beldar is so happy. Does he have goblinoids as his favored enemy? Or undead? Or is he just a sadistic bastard who relishes the opportunity to stab things?

Ferret_Dragon
2004-09-23, 08:29 AM
I dare say that Belkar is well established as a sadistic guy who likes to poke things, or go after kidneys...

DrDoom
2004-09-23, 08:37 AM
The latter is true in any case, teh things you mentioned before are optional.

cthon98
2004-09-23, 08:38 AM
Looks like some **** is about to hit the fan. And by ****, I of course mean itty bits of goblins and zombies :D

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-09-23, 09:00 AM
I'm wondering why Beldar is so happy. Does he have goblinoids as his favored enemy? Or undead? Or is he just a sadistic bastard who relishes the opportunity to stab things?

Three. Definitely three.

GypsyThorn
2004-09-23, 09:38 AM
...I'm wondering why Beldar is so happy. Does he have goblinoids as his favored enemy? Or undead? Or is he just a sadistic bastard who relishes the opportunity to stab things?

Ignoring for the nonce your first two ideas (possibly true, but I really think he's an equal opportunity impaler), I beg to differ regarding your third. We have no reason to believe there's anything amiss with Belkar's legitimacy.

Abelard
2004-09-23, 11:38 AM
We have no reason to believe there's anything amiss with Belkar's legitimacy.

True, GypsyThorn, but until we get the true story of his parentage, it's a valid conjecture. ;)

It would certainly be a basis for Belkar's hostility...

Dr. Phil: Now, Belkar, why are you so angry all the time?
Belkar: *stab*

Now that's a prime-time special I'd watch.

Invariel
2004-09-23, 11:49 AM
Belkar's just our sadistic Halfling Ranger friend who likes to kill things. Preferably non-him things. And we know that he has a low wisdom score, so instead of seeing a large mass of enemies who might actually kill him, he probably sees a lot of war trophies (Yikyik, anyone?). As for the mention in (another) thread, does anyone -really- think that anyone trusts Elan to buff the party with any accuracy?
Fight, fight, fight, fight just a little bit better...
I didn't think so. :P

Tarlonniel
2004-09-23, 12:03 PM
Wow.

And so we come to possibly the most anticipated, yet most dreaded, words in RPG language....

ROLL INITIATIVE!

GypsyThorn
2004-09-23, 12:21 PM
Wow.

And so we come to possibly the most anticipated, yet most dreaded, words in RPG language....

ROLL INITIATIVE!

In the campaign I play in, if we were in the player's place in this scenario, our DM would actually make us roll for surprise. (I'm not complaining, Chuck. In the words of the lumberjack, "But it's good!")

Lilly
2004-09-23, 12:55 PM
*whimper at the awesomeness*

(Does anyone else see Roy as a sort of Vimes? "I'm surrounded by idiots, but I love my job, except the paperwork.")

Sundog
2004-09-23, 01:40 PM
Actually, currently I see Roy as half insane due to sleep deprivation!

Jaws
2004-09-23, 01:59 PM
Nice splash page. Reminded me of ol' Calvin and Hobbes.

Peace and smiles :)

j.

Tzor
2004-09-23, 03:13 PM
OK let me see if I have this right.

The grey ones are the undead.
The bright green ones are the goblins.

So what's the camo green ones in the middle?

Sparticus
2004-09-23, 03:28 PM
So what's the camo green ones in the middle?

The teeth on 'em make me think they're vampires.

I wonder if Haley will join up with the rest of the Order before the big fight scene? Or, perhaps, just in time to save the day? Hmm... :)

Nareth
2004-09-23, 03:44 PM
I think those olive-green ones are the undead zombie goblins from when Xykon tried to open the gate when he was bored. The vampire goblin leader is on the right, with the bright green guys. But that's just my guess :)

Matuse
2004-09-23, 04:02 PM
No, zombies are pretty well established as being grey. Vampires would seem like a bit much, I'd say they were more likely ghouls or ghasts.

Wanderer
2004-09-23, 04:10 PM
It's obvious. The light green ones are miscellaneous monsters. http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=103 ;D

Aser
2004-09-23, 06:43 PM
Haha! Yes, miscellaneous monsters, like undead telemarketers and Mary Kay cosmetics sellers. Put them right in the middle to strike fear and maybe be wiped out first!

Shatteredtower
2004-09-23, 06:56 PM
Twelve hours since I first read it, and I still laugh every time I think of Xykon saying, "Hey."

penguinscanfly81
2004-09-23, 07:07 PM
any idea what the horned things in the background are?

Lilly
2004-09-23, 08:02 PM
It's dire decor. Seriously it looks like it's part of the walls.

3volution
2004-09-23, 08:13 PM
It's probably an illusion or the result of an animation spell.

Clearly the monsters in the middle are Zombie-Orcs, but my question is this: why don't they have those little orc ears?

Anyone?

Wanderer
2004-09-23, 08:51 PM
I don't follow that "clearly" statement you made. It seems pretty obvious to me that a majority of Xykon's undead horde there is actually made up of the failed attempts to open the gate.

Moreover, the expressions on the light-green critters' faces are far more animated than anything the zombies can manage. I think that alone makes it pretty clear that, if they ARE undead, they're a higher level undead than a mere zombie.

Besides, the orders given to the troops make it clear that some none-zombie type creature is located in the middle, between the goblins and the zombies. Here's the link again: http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=103 Read the orders being given in the first panel. If those things ARE zombies, then where the heck are the "miscellaneous monsters" that the cleric was telling to get in the middle?

Adghar
2004-09-23, 09:27 PM
Oh, they're vampires. Or dem-liches. And I don't see why this is going to be a problem... Roy can use his great cleavage.

Grey Watcher
2004-09-23, 10:16 PM
Tremble before the awesome fury of the Miscellaneous Monster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that the same female Goblin from the line in the bathroom?

Blackdog
2004-09-24, 04:50 AM
Hmm...she's not the one in the front, since she's holding her sword in the other hand and her hair is slightly off color. She could be the one in the back though.

lartinger
2004-09-24, 01:53 PM
*whimper at the awesomeness*

(Does anyone else see Roy as a sort of Vimes? "I'm surrounded by idiots, but I love my job, except the paperwork.")

I love it! Roy could absolutely be a sort of Vimes. (He is one of my favorite DW characters btw!)

Prince_Stefano
2004-09-24, 07:07 PM
There are so few monsters! The only things I saw threatening in that big huge area were the big monsters in the background and the goblin mage and ogre zombies.

From what OOTS has been through already, this should be no problem.

Doug
2004-09-24, 07:37 PM
But, where is the Buffet? After Red Cloak went to all that trouble getting the food ready.

Silly adventurers, they must have come in the wrong door.

Adghar
2004-09-24, 07:48 PM
???

Now, how would that happen? They were following Elan's directions.

So obviously, the cartographer scammed them.

*Goes off to murder cartographer*

My Edit: Alright, I've harvested the cartographer's spleen and liver and put 'em in a plastic bag which I put in my fridge, so I should be good for a while. (Kidding. If everything I said were true, the world would be topsy-turvy by now.)

Now... thinking about that Gate and reading the SRD... I'm thinking the symbol is a Symbol of Death bu- What? What do you mean it's a sigil? Oh well. I had a good idea.

RawBearNYC
2004-09-26, 01:56 PM
There are so few monsters! The only things I saw threatening in that big huge area were the big monsters in the background and the goblin mage and ogre zombies.

From what OOTS has been through already, this should be no problem.Um, did you miss the undead lich guy in the back? Everything else is just Minions. Oh, and I think the big monsters in the background are statues built into the wall.

DrDoom
2004-09-26, 02:57 PM
Argh, cant wait till tomorrow!

Adghar
2004-09-26, 05:40 PM
And don't forget the secret weapon, RawBear (Am I cool enough to call you Ray yet?).

RawBearNYC
2004-09-26, 11:43 PM
(Am I cool enough to call you Ray yet?).
Sure. Of course, you're not cool enough to call me what my *real* friends call me, "Cynthia".

(I can imagine that Rich is scratching his head right now wondering who Cynthia, is. He's not cool enough neither).

Lilly
2004-09-27, 12:50 AM
"Sir you actually said the words, wink wink, I mean..."

So great, so incredibly funny and cool and Ootsy!

"Wait, what gate?"

Blackdog
2004-09-27, 12:52 AM
They seem to be doing well, but it looks like Xykon still has two trumps to reveal...Hopefully Roy's Disruption is just flickering, and wasn't dispelled or anything.

mossfoot
2004-09-27, 02:27 AM
Hooray! I'm useful!

Oh yes you are, Elan... yes you are...

Gdrad
2004-09-27, 05:45 AM
CRAP!

DrDoom
2004-09-27, 06:07 AM
"Wait, what Gate?"

Muarharhar! An instant killer!

And the whole speech about the few guards on the one side and many guards on the other....

Just wow...

Oh, and Elan obviously does not know how to play a useful Bard. As someone else said, he would be the "Buffmeister". In other words, he could be a multiplier to the Partys strength.

DamotheBoyWonder
2004-09-27, 08:35 AM
Sure. Of course, you're not cool enough to call me what my *real* friends call me, "Cynthia".

(I can imagine that Rich is scratching his head right now wondering who Cynthia, is. He's not cool enough neither).

Well, since he allows your screen name to be "RawBear", then I imagine he wouldn't get why on earth you'd be called Cynthia either. ::)

Ascaron
2004-09-27, 09:13 AM
oh damn it! I love this comic, I can't tell what I would be doing every monday and thursday morning :)

I especially prefer elan, he's somewhat stupid - but funny! I could be laughing all the time when I am just view a sign of him :)

Grey Watcher
2004-09-27, 10:54 AM
Say, Rich, is "Hooray, I'm useful!" a deliberate Futurama reference? (I think Dr. Zoidberg said it at some point.)

Tarlonniel
2004-09-27, 11:26 AM
Once again, Roy's terrible sense motive bonus and Elan's stupidity serve to move the plot forward ;D I can't wait to see what's beyond that gate. And hey, I wonder if Sabine is gonna' show up again soon...

Aerysil1
2004-09-27, 12:59 PM
I believe Roy's Sense Motive is higher than we think...

Starbuck_II
2004-09-27, 01:49 PM
Why doesn't Elan use his music to inspire others to fight better? Its 1st level bard ability...

Will touching the gate kill Elan? :o

Blackdog
2004-09-27, 02:14 PM
And hey, I wonder if Sabine is gonna' show up again soon...

Not since you reset the countdown clock just now. :P

Probably not, since if it was designed by Dorukan to zap evil beings, presumably good beings can still access it. This also gives some hint to Dorukan's power, since Xykon can't just force his way in.

GypsyThorn
2004-09-27, 02:17 PM
Why doesn't Elan use his music to inspire others to fight better? Its 1st level bard ability...

Just my POV, but anyways:

1: Elan doesn't use his music to inspire others for the same reason no one in the illusionist's party believes the glamours cast by the illusionist. They've heard his stuff so often they're no longer impressed. ("Come on, Elan, we've heard that one before! Can't you come up with anything better?")

2. Unless Rich uses his "Impersonate Hitchcock" ability, Elan can't die. At least not permanently. He can, however, suffer greatly. And, if my guess is correct, polyester will definitely be involved.

Rhuna_Coppermane
2004-09-27, 03:16 PM

We can only hope. (Kidding, really. But it would raise the party's mean IQ significantly.)

GypsyThorn
2004-09-27, 05:02 PM
Hey, wait a second! Take a look at today's strip, third row, second panel. Specifically, those three minions in a row.

Are they performing the Hokey-Pokey? The part where "you put your left arm out"? If so, I think we've just figured out "what it's all about."

And when they're done dancing, they'll hit the buffet.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-27, 06:45 PM
Say, Rich, is "Hooray, I'm useful!" a deliberate Futurama reference? (I think Dr. Zoidberg said it at some point.)

Yeah, he did!

The other thing:

Harold Zoid: "A more classic movie plot, there isn't. A son who does not want to follow in his fathers business, and that business is president of the world, no less. The son as it happens is Vice president"
Bender: "That plot makes perfect sense, wink wink"
Zoidberg: "Bender, you said wink wink out loud!"
Bender: "No I didn't, raise middle finger"

Matuse
2004-09-27, 07:15 PM
The thing I wonder is where do Xykon's feet go when the view switches between a forward and 3/4 side view.

I like the one goblin being severed by Roy...the top half is saying "Crap!", and I imagine that the bottom half is doing it.

Aser
2004-09-27, 07:59 PM
On a full forward view, Xykon's robe sags, obscuring his feet. Crappy goblin taylors! What do they care about uneven hems?

But hey, that could be useful. Maybe Xykon will trip over it!

Adghar
2004-09-27, 10:58 PM
Did anyone else notice that he doesn't have the comic title up? Unless I'm missing something. Because for titles I check the Archives, and the Archives hold no 106 yet. ><

>>
<<

*Raises post count towards Barbarian*

MacDude
2004-09-28, 10:59 AM
Cool. One of the zombies gets a weapon! Zombies never get weapons! I'm *so* jealous!!!

They didn't flubb their lines either! :D

Stay away from Roy's sword! It has Disruption!

GypsyThorn
2004-09-28, 11:02 AM
Forget polyester.

Behind the gate is a bunch of people in T-shirts and jeans sitting around a table covered with paper and manuals, maybe with a few miniatures on a grid, drinking Mountain Dew and eating pizza, arguing about whether they did or did not invite an attack of opportunity.

I'm not sure which is scarier....

eldersphinx
2004-09-28, 09:32 PM
My suspicion as to what's going on:

- Roy wasn't fooled for a second. But since he doesn't want Xykon to retry and possibly get a 20, he's sending Elan in to make the attempt. Unfortunately for Roy, Elan will bumble his way to victory and open the gate!

At which point Xykon discovers that there's a solar aasimon back there. (It's the only major boards avatar that hasn't yet shown up somewhere on OotS, IIRC.) Poor Xykon.

Oh yeah. Who here really thinks that Xykon doesn't have some sort of escape plan? Durkon used his spell slots on Disruption, not Dimensional Anchor, after all...

RawBearNYC
2004-09-29, 10:41 AM
It's been established that Roy has a crappy Sense Motive. Despite an apparently higher than average wisdom, he fell for Nale's ruse and now for Xykon's. He needs Haley there, hey, where is Haley?

Terandir
2004-09-29, 10:52 AM
Cool. One of the zombies gets a weapon! Zombies never get weapons! I'm *so* jealous!!!

Don't be disappointed. I think the sword belongs to the goblin with the shield Roy is fighting. The zombie seems unarmed, as usual.

Greetings,
Terandir

Grey Watcher
2004-09-29, 11:04 AM
He needs Haley there, hey, where is Haley?

She's still making her way out of a state of kidnappedness.

Nighthawk4
2004-09-29, 02:02 PM
I can think of only two people stupid enough to keep asking 'What Gate' - and the other one is about to open it. ;)

*Sigh* Roll on tomorrow - I can hardly wait.

MacDude
2004-09-29, 03:12 PM
Don't be disappointed. I think the sword belongs to the goblin with the shield Roy is fighting. The zombie seems unarmed, as usual.

Argg! you're right. I got their arms confused. Oh well, maybe the Ogre zombies will wound someone. ;)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-29, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah. Who here really thinks that Xykon doesn't have some sort of escape plan? Durkon used his spell slots on Disruption, not Dimensional Anchor, after all...

Huhh? So because a character didn't prepare for something means the enemy doesn't have it? It seems more like: because they're not prepared, it's MORE likely that he'll have a way out.

Lilly
2004-09-30, 12:54 AM
Well it's been a year, and it couldn't have been better.

Today's comic title is also my football team's apparent motto, we have defense therefore we lose.

V is still super-nifty-cool. "I am somewhat preoccupied with telling the laws of physics to sit down and shut up"

Shatteredtower
2004-09-30, 01:14 AM
Now would be a good time for X to Y, and maybe Z.

Wanderer
2004-09-30, 07:50 AM
Huhh? So because a character didn't prepare for something means the enemy doesn't have it? It seems more like: because they're not prepared, it's MORE likely that he'll have a way out.

I think you missed the point. Eldersphinx was saying exactly what you were saying. Because Durkon didn't prepare Dimensional Anchor, the Order of the Stick has no way to prevent Xykon from escaping.

mossfoot
2004-09-30, 09:06 AM
I loved the riddle ;) That's a laugh out loud moment if I ever read one! Reminds me of one from Quarentine in Red Dwarf:

Insane hologram "What's Dead and Dead and Dead all over?"

Rimmer (safely on board Starbug): "I have no idea, do tell."

Insane hologram "Yoooooooooou..."

Shatteredtower
2004-09-30, 09:31 AM
I loved the riddle ;) That's a laugh out loud moment if I ever read one! Reminds me of one from Quarentine in Red Dwarf:

Insane hologram "What's Dead and Dead and Dead all over?"

Rimmer (safely on board Starbug): "I have no idea, do tell."

Insane hologram "Yoooooooooou..."

Well, he was correct, even if perhaps not in the fashion he meant it. It's not like Rimmer was alive at the time, what with being a hologram and all.

Well, sort of not alive. Less sort of not alive than the goblin spellcaster Belkar offed, but not alive enough.

Moving right along, those goblins are seeming less goblin all the time to me. They're taller than a certain dwarf by a signficant margin here -- possibly even taller than the elf, though that may just be a matter of perspective.

And then there's the matter of the halfling.

Either Xykon must be feeding his goblin forces right or they're orcs after all.

Aerysil1
2004-09-30, 09:31 AM
Ok, I don't know who's playing Belkar, but that is definitely a "pummeled by all the pillows from the couch" moment.

Terandir
2004-09-30, 09:56 AM
Ah... so the miscellaneous monsters are no vampires. Lost my bet.

So it turns out the pale green plus fangs belongs to a ghast...

A GHAST?? TURN UNDEAD!!

So I'm waiting for a lich who's binding ghouls... :D

Greetings,
Terandir

Tarlonniel
2004-09-30, 11:50 AM
Wow - I've never seen such total and complete mastery of the laws of physics. V's my hero! :D

I hope we get at least a little internet access in boot camp. I don't wanna' wait 8-9 weeks to read the end of this fantastic story arc :(

Ferret_Dragon
2004-09-30, 01:24 PM
This is one of those times where we all wish that Rich could do 1 a day, like he did for the end of the Linear Guild story arc.

GypsyThorn
2004-09-30, 03:35 PM
This is one of those times where we all wish that Rich could do 1 a day, like he did for the end of the Linear Guild story arc.

What do you say, Rich, willing to put your life on hold again for the sake of your fans?

Wanderer
2004-09-30, 04:03 PM
Oh... by the way folks, speaking as a frequent caster... do NOT do what Belkar did here. Please? :'( I know it sucks having to guard the guys with few hitpoints, but without us YOU probably would already be dead...

Ashlock
2004-09-30, 05:46 PM
My favorite part about this epsisode is that after killing the spellcaster, Belkar appears to be dragging him with him as he returns. I love those little touches. 'Cause...what the heck is he gonna do with him?? ;D

Lilly
2004-09-30, 06:14 PM
More fashion statements (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=63)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-09-30, 11:29 PM
I think you missed the point.

You are correct.

Matuse
2004-10-01, 02:12 AM
Ha! Did I call it, or did I call it! Ghouls or Ghasts I said...and since you can't really tell them apart visually, I'd say that counts as a win.

Still the best line of the strip is V describing why he has low hp...master the universe, or jogging. I think that needs to go into a .sig somewhere.

Invariel
2004-10-01, 03:09 AM
That jogging thing is now my new favourite OOTS line. :D

Matuse
2004-10-01, 07:50 AM
Err, did Giant change the strip? I just noticed Belkar complaining about V being "ambigiously gendered"...and either I completely brainfarted and missed it before, or it got changed..

First reference in-strip to this tidbit which has been raging on the boards here for so many months?

The Giant
2004-10-01, 11:40 AM
The strip was never changed after being posted.

RawBearNYC
2004-10-01, 01:31 PM
Or was it?

Dun, Dun, Duuuunnnnn!

GypsyThorn
2004-10-01, 02:00 PM
Err, did Giant change the strip? I just noticed Belkar complaining about V being "ambigiously gendered"...and either I completely brainfarted and missed it before, or it got changed..

I too missed it the first time I read it (and the second time and the third time.) Great line.

Re: What's Belkar going to do with the dead goblin body?

Kidneys.

Blackdog
2004-10-01, 04:11 PM
Or was it?

Nah, it looks exactly the same to me. Now 106 on the other hand...

Grey
2004-10-01, 06:56 PM
Hey, is that enemy spellcaster one of the parents from number 93?

Adghar
2004-10-01, 08:23 PM
Shore looks like it.

And I believe I'm growing crazy because I'm not getting answers on whether my avatar is showing or not. (No, I'm not obsessive! Wouldn't you be worried if you walked in to public and appeard as a transparent square with a white box with an X in it as a head?)

WampaX
2004-10-01, 08:33 PM
If its any consolation, Adghar, your white box is bigger than Grey's ;)

(yes, I cannot see your Avatar)

Ghasts . . . wonder what the OotS Ghouls look like, then.