PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about instrument repair?

TheSilverKnight
2008-02-15, 05:32 AM
Been away from the boards for close to a year I would imagine at least but I know you guys always have an answer for me so here goes nothing.

beware my absence for the forums has made me long winded in explanation.

Hey guys. I have a crappy no name bass. Have had is for about 3 years have only actually been playing for about a year.

Got a problem tho that I didn't realize until I just picked up a new acoustic bass. The neck on my electric is warped so the higher(pitch) I get on the fret board the farther away the strings are from the fretboard. Noticed this because the acoustic bass has a neck that is in the right place :smug: which makes it so much more comfortable and easy to play and now I can't go back to playing my electric because I have to press the strings down so far to play.

I have adjusted the rod in the neck in both directions. Loosening it makes the strings go farther so I know thats not the solution. I have tightened it to the point that the neck is in the position is where it should be nice and straight. But that only adds a new problem the strings are where they are supposed to be but now I can't play opens without horrible fret buzz off the first fret. Thus having no choice to set it back where it was that way its at least playable.

So I have come to the conclusion that the neck is physically warped to a point where adjustments can't set it right.

Does anybody have any idea of anything I can do to fix this problem.

Other minor(or major) details: I just had the nut replaced on it because it got knocked over onto the floor and it cracked so my E wouldn't sit in while playing. The new nut seems a bit lower than the stock one and may contribute to the fact that when the neck is set properly the open note buzz.

Any ideas for a self fix would be great the guys at the music shop who put in the new nut said that the neck needed to be set but said they would charge $70 + strings. I declined this thinking that all they were gonna do was use an Allan wrench and turn the rod like i have done multiple times now. So i don't see what they could do would be different. Should I let them have a go at it maybe they know some thing I don't or have the proper skill to humidify the wood and bend the wood if that need be.

Any answers appreciated.

edit: 9 months and 4 days to be a little more percise if my math isn't off. June 11th 2007 was last log before this.

Emrylon
2008-02-15, 07:35 AM
Well it sounds as if you've pretty much tried anything. I'm not an expert on instrument reapir because I know a guy who will fix them guite cheaply. I think your best bet would be to get someone to repair it. Or just use it as an excuse to get a new bass...:smalltongue:

By the way what acoustic did you get? I have a Fender BG-32 acoustic and its a fantastic instrument.

EDIT: sorry for not being very helpful...

smellie_hippie
2008-02-15, 08:35 AM
If the truss rod gets tightened to place the neck in proper position, the open frets buzz, right? Have you tried raising the bridge just a hair? I would expect that this would raise the strings just a bit. I know that goes against keeping the action low, but fret buzz is fret buzz.

Timberwolf
2008-02-15, 09:03 AM
Whenever I've needed anything doing... well, instrument repair is up there with the house electrics, gas, water, computer and anything major to the car. I go and find a local "little man who does" out of the phonebook. They're usually very reasonably priced and do good work. If you choose the person who hasn't got the big showy ad, they're usually the best.

Narmoth
2008-02-15, 09:12 AM
The easiest solution is to buy a new bass guitar. Both Ibanez and BC Rich have good bass guitars that are exceptionally cheap.

If you deside to fidle with the truss rod, you have to tighten it a quarter or half a round (this should be enough) and then intonate the bass, moving the bridge sadles closer of farther away from the neck. (you have adjustable individual bridge saddles, haven't you?)
Make it so that you have as little pitch deviance as possible on the 12th fret compared to the loose string.
If the strings buzz after this, try raising the sadles as Hippie suggested, and then intonate anew.

TheSilverKnight
2008-02-16, 12:37 AM
By the way what acoustic did you get? I have a Fender BG-32 acoustic and its a fantastic instrument

Bought a used AXL for a local store plays amazingly and looks brand new despite belonging to one of the ex owners of the store and having many years of play in it. And at $150 I picked it up and gave it a play and had to buy it.

If the truss rod gets tightened to place the neck in proper position, the open frets buzz, right? Have you tried raising the bridge just a hair? I would expect that this would raise the strings just a bit. I know that goes against keeping the action low, but fret buzz is fret buzz.

I actually did raise the strings a bit at one point when I had thh neck set that stopped the fret buzz but then I had perfect low action in the LOWS and HIGHS but in the middle of the fingerboard between frets7 and 14 the strings were even hinger than before :(. However I have just read on a few methods of determining a more proper position.

The easiest solution is to buy a new bass guitar. Both Ibanez and BC Rich have good bass guitars that are exceptionally cheap.

Despite how much I would love to pick up a new stick its not currently a sound investment as I can't justify the price that I would like for a bass into my skill level.

I love Ibanez basses but I know for a fact that most of their lower cost models are actually fairly shoddy in workmanship. bad tuning machines and less than solid necks I would rather not take the chance if I picked up an Ibanez I would try and get one as close to the design and set up of Feildy's 5-string(K5 I think its called). Personally however despite price I am looking at the music man Bongos which are AMAZING basses as well as some of the fender deluxe basses with the P and J pick ups in either 4 or 5 strings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your help feel free to help more I currently have a could of people responding to me on talkbass.com they really seem to know their stuff the main responder from reading his other posts seems to be a lutheir if not someone who at least knows the trade as a hobby. However being professionals as they seem to be they want so acurate measurements so I am gonna pick up a ruler in 64ths to give them proper measurements.