PDA

View Full Version : Newbie players, unexperienced DM

DrizztFan24
2008-02-15, 04:46 PM
I am going to start a campaign with some of the kids from school. I have played for the last 2-1/2 years or so and know how the game works and niches and optimizing and such (some of the stuff I still don't know though, like CoDzilla), but I have only DMed two or three sessions before. However, the 3 or 4 players that I have managed to recruit have no experience beyond one of them playing final fantasy and elder scrolls.

I was wondering if any of you had suggestions (other than starting at lvl 3) for either plot ideas or beginning adventures or anything else for that matter. It looks like on of them plans to be the tank of the party. He wants to be a sword swinger with some summoning. (modified duskblade maybe?) I have no clue what the other players will be.

So I was thinking of having a decent beginning adventure so I could get a feel for each character and the niche they will fill and then basing the campaign off of that so each person gets their share of the spot light.

Any suggestion for the swinger/summoner or for a starter adventure?

I have access to core books, PHBII, Drow of the Underdark, Complete Arcane, and Complete Scoundrel.

EDIT: see my last post (post 25) for my latest question (it's a campaign idea for the new group mentioned above)

Spreeth
2008-02-15, 05:20 PM
I've been DM'ing for about 14 years now, and my advice is simple: Use a pre-written module. I've discovered that many of the published pieces are excellent, and for your first time you will find that it makes your life much easier. Plus, you'll get to know your players' styles. Then, when you finish the module (assuming that your players enjoyed themselves), you will have had enough time to flesh out where you would like the story to go from there.

Most pre-written modules have adventure ideas for after the module is finished. So you will even have some help if you want to go down that path. The important thing is to get some experience behind you, and modules have everything written up for you already.

I hope that that helps.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-15, 07:14 PM
Hehe; Tomb of Horrors here we come!:smallamused: Naa, I wouldn't be that mean
Anyone know where to get a module other than a specialty store or a book store? I'm 90 miles from the closest one...which sucks

Worira
2008-02-15, 07:16 PM
Here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b) are some decent free ones.

Glyphic
2008-02-15, 07:17 PM
Wizards of the Coast should have some on their website. I've heard good things about "A Dark and Stormy Knight."

Edit: Super-ninja'ed :(

shadow_archmagi
2008-02-15, 07:18 PM
Actually, wing it. The main appeal of D&D over say, Morrowind is the extreme freedom. Therefore, the looser your campaign, the more they'll enjoy it at first. The complexity of the rules will be more than enough complexity for them anyway, so even something as simple as "There is a wizard in a cave with a bunch of orc minions" will keep them quite happy.

Artanis
2008-02-15, 07:20 PM
Also, if one of them wants to play an outright caster, I suggest the Warmage. I know from personal experience that it's a great way to easy a newbie into DnD's magic system, since it lets the player learn the mechanics and bookkeeping without having to deal with the steep learning curve that comes with a "real" arcane caster.

FlyMolo
2008-02-15, 07:54 PM
Also, if one of them wants to play an outright caster, I suggest the Warmage. I know from personal experience that it's a great way to easy a newbie into DnD's magic system, since it lets the player learn the mechanics and bookkeeping without having to deal with the steep learning curve that comes with a "real" arcane caster.

Like a sorceror, but you don't have to roll for ASF (mostly) and you also don't have to pick spells. Never thought about it that way, actually.

I made up my first campaign. It seems to be working, so far.

You can read it if you like. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69255)

Sornas
2008-02-15, 08:14 PM
I was wondering if any of you had suggestions (other than starting at lvl 3)

Wait, wait.

What about suggesting you don't start at level 3? I never understood what people's hatred of starting at level one was...

Not trying to be rude or anything, but I'm curious what the reasoning is here.

That being said, if you feel confident enough in your improv skills, I am going to have to agree with archmagi. The freedom is one of the main draws of DnD, and having something pre-written tends towards railroading, even if you don't intend to.

Or, if you are nervous/strapped for ideas, look at one of the modules, and adapt what they have. If you just do it verbatim, odds are that you will end up with bored players, since you aren't likely to be nearly as invested in the characters and story.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-15, 09:05 PM
Wait, wait.

What about suggesting you don't start at level 3? I never understood what people's hatred of starting at level one was...

Not trying to be rude or anything, but I'm curious what the reasoning is here.

I had read the otehr newbie DM thread that was on the forums here and a few people had suggested starting at level 3 so that the players can feel the diversity of their players. That was the only reason, I had started at level one. (a house cat could have killed my wizard too :P)

Sornas
2008-02-15, 09:19 PM
I had read the otehr newbie DM thread that was on the forums here and a few people had suggested starting at level 3 so that the players can feel the diversity of their players. That was the only reason, I had started at level one. (a house cat could have killed my wizard too :P)

I suppose, but if I was learning a system, personally, I would favor simplicity over diversity, but I guess it depends on your players. ^^

I can understand the argument that the extra HP can help them to avoid dying, but I personally think that light-handed DMing would be better in that regard. It really comes down to your personal style and willingness to fudge occasionally in order to avoid an anticlimactic TPK.

Sorry if I sounded a little snappy, one argument that really bugs me is when people say they don't play at low levels because they don't want to "just fight Kobolds and Goblins." @.@;

Roderick_BR
2008-02-15, 09:21 PM
Starting level 3 for newbies? Bad idea. People get the feeling that they are very powerful, and they'll have trouble when trying 1st level ("What? The orc killed me with one hit? It didn't happen in the other guy's game")
Do the classic: Guide the players to a dungeon filled with orcs and goblins, with non-optmized builds, like orc warriors with weapon focus and battle axes (avoid the greataxe for now), a few creatures to make them get a feeling on killing monsters, and some rewards. Remember to not kill the players outright. Newbies hate to "lose" the game so fast. Allow them to find potions whenever needed.

_Puppetmaster_
2008-02-15, 09:27 PM
I also Suggest that you start at level one.

as for the sword-swinging summoner build, I might be able to make an altered fighter class for you.

EDIT: Here you go:

Sword-Swinging Summoner
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: D10.
Base Attack Bonus: Full
Saves: Good Fortitude and will, poor Reflex
Class Skills
The Sword-Swinging Summoner’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Search (Int), Spellcraft (Int), and Swim (Str).
Skill Points at 1st Level: (2 + Int modifier) ×4.
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 2 + Int modifier.
Class Features
All the following are class features of the Sword-Swinging Summoner.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: As Fighter.
Bonus Feats: A Sword-Swinging Summoner gains bonus feats at the same rate as the phychic warrior, which must be drawn from the list of fighter bonus feats.
Summoning (Sp): at 1st level, and every 2nd level afterwards, up to level 17, a Sword-Swinging Summoner gains the use of Summon Monster spell once per day as per the table. Each time he gains this ability, each previous level gains another use per day (e.g. Bob is a 7th level Sword-Swinging Summoner. He can use Summon Monster I 4/day, Summon Monster II 3/day, Summon Monster III 2/day, and Summon Monster IV 1/day.).

at level 20, a sword-swinging summoner gains an extra use of each of his summons.

Summoning Table:
Level///Ability
1///Summon Monster I

3///Summon Monster II

5///Summon Monster III

7///Summon Monster IV

9///Summon Monster V

11///Summon Monster VI

13///Summon Monster VII

15///Summon Monster VIII

17///Summon Monster IX

20///Extra Use of Each

PS: Tell me if I made any typos

sickler
2008-02-15, 10:48 PM
My honest opinion is stick to 3.5 core books (PHB, MM, DMG) and level 1 vanilla group of melee/skilldump/arcane caster/healer. Put them in a bland dungeon with one trapped door, a locked door and some low light area. Pit them against monsters such as a giant rat, some kobolds, and a BBEG of a pair of orcs. There are several low level modules on the WotC site which can save you a lot of time in preparing a game and make your life as a DM a lot simpler. Once you see how its done, you can mold the current campaign into something you and your players want.

While this seems quite boring, you said it yourself in the title. Newbie players, unexperienced DM. If they skip the first few levels and start out with their players already fleshed out, they'll not learn any of the basics and neither will you. Once they learn the basics of the game and they understand the value of using skills for survival instead of relying on gear and numbers, then you can start adding new "interesting" features to the game. It might surprise you, however, how interesting the game can be without all the extra mumbo jumbo. Sticking to simple rules allows both the players and the DM to forget about rules for a while and just play the game.

Using a module really helps out for the first while for an inexperienced DM. They are normally quite balanced in what actually happens in the game, mixing a little bit of town interaction, dungeon crawling and battles. Make sure to observe your players carefully, if you see them getting bored with talking in town a lot but they aren't getting the quest hook, just throw in a bandit who fails his Sleight of Hand check (doesn't matter if you roll a nat20 behind the screen) and they notice him scooping something from your caster's pocket. Instantly, your players will get to fight without having to go to a dungeon and then just have some authority figure approach them and tell them the quest that you want them to do. Also, if you find they continually are making spot/listen checks where the module says nothing about, don't let their attempts go to waste. You're the DM, you decide what is there. Make them spot something glistening or hear a low growl.

Best of luck to you and your players. I hope I didn't ramble too much in my post.

Yami
2008-02-16, 08:12 AM
Here's how I'd run a new group into the ground. .. I mena, how I'd work a new group into the setting.

The Plot: Small town in the woods has seen Goblin patrols, spooked em. hiring all hands, party answers the call.

Small scouting forays at first. Lvl 1 goblins in the city at night, looting, stealing socks, and having fun. Combat ensues, goblins get angry.

Night raids on the town, Terror raids; objectives death and fire.

At anytime the PC's may sneak out into the woods and spy. Maybe fight other baddies, maybe a patrol. Let them see goblins setting up a war camp. Maybe crafting a ballista or two. If the players do not leave, have a woodcutter say he heard sounds from in the forest, send them to investigate. Worst comes to worst, let an npc tell them.

Stage two: Help!
Any decent adventurer will want to find ways of sending other people to fight the hordes. So, they must travel to a neighboring area and argue for aid. Huzzah, you've learned the rules and combat, now throw RP at them! Keep them on thier toes.

More monsters! RP. Triumphant return! That or flee, module done, move on.

If still playing -> then equal level goblin party assualt on PC's. Rouges. Then you have two armies fight while the party decides to sneak in and kill the goblin leader, or let them fight at the forefront. Massive lvl 1 mooks. Low level mage with a bit of bodyguards as boss man either way but in a straight up fight, should the mmoks fail have bossman flee. If the players win, they are the heros of the day, and still roughly 3~4th level. You may now begin your campaign in full.

Ecalsneerg
2008-02-16, 09:06 AM
I (third?) starting at level 1. But, if you feel it's too fragile, why not use the 'kid-gloves' rule: you start off with the hp for a level 2 character, however you don't gain extra hp at level 2. (i.e. you've alreay got that levels' HP)

BardicDuelist
2008-02-16, 09:15 AM
Pre-written mods. make you life easy for the first time you DM. If they don't follow the module, have a plan of some stuff that they can do outside of it.

Don't have them play evil. Inter-party conflict can suck the fun out of a game.

Start at lv. 1. The game has a built in learning curve. Use it. Starting even at level three makes char. creation complicated (for a newb). Level one characters are easy to make, and allow you to explain the game as you go.

Don't push to optomize. Let them play what they want, even if it's a bad choice. As a DM, find a way to make it work, not force them to make it work. They're newbs, so you'll have to be forgiving.

Stick to core. Stick to core and don't modify. In core, there are enough rules to learn (which you can make easier by giving them the URLs for d20srd, etc, so that they can learn for free if they have time). When you start modifying, or introducing things outside of core, you overwhelm the players with rules.

Oh, remember: What is cliche and over done to you is brand new to them. I have had multiple new parties run from skeletons or zombies because they didn't know that they are easy to kill. The goblins invading a town trope is new to them. Starting in a tavern isn't cliche to them. Use them as you DM, there's no reason not to.

Triaxx
2008-02-16, 04:18 PM
Personally, my first experience was back in 2E, so I ended up converting Baldur's Gate into a Paper game. And it worked perfectly. I had pre-built sub-quests, I could look up the important NPC's and everyone had played it before, but no one couldl tell the difference between them.

Miles Invictus
2008-02-16, 08:49 PM
Do the classic: Guide the players to a dungeon filled with orcs and goblins, with non-optmized builds, like orc warriors with weapon focus and battle axes (avoid the greataxe for now), a few creatures to make them get a feeling on killing monsters, and some rewards. Remember to not kill the players outright. Newbies hate to "lose" the game so fast. Allow them to find potions whenever needed.

I'd advise against the battle axe. In fact, I'd suggest avoiding any weapon with stats better than one-handed, 1d6 damage, or 20/x2 critical. A lucky critical can easily one-shot a low-level PC; inferior weapons reduce the chance of this happening.

For your sword-swinging summoner, I would suggest simply adding "Summon Monster" to the Duskblade's spell list. Summon Monster I would be a 1st-level spell, III would be 2nd-level, V would be 3rd-level, VII would be 4th level, and IX would be 5th level. Or allow him to trade one spell known per level for an animal companion (as per a druid).

Lupy
2008-02-16, 09:09 PM
I'm in a similar situation, except only I know anything.

Start at level 1 and work the campaign for them, if they run into trouble subtley offer them a way out The zombie steps colser to the edge of the hill, maybe a well placed attack could knock it over the edge...

When they do stupid things (run from Goblins), say are you sure? just the first few times, until they "get it."

Miles Invictus
2008-02-16, 10:05 PM
I'm in a similar situation, except only I know anything.

Start at level 1 and work the campaign for them, if they run into trouble subtley offer them a way out The zombie steps colser to the edge of the hill, maybe a well placed attack could knock it over the edge...

I'd make them to a knowledge check instead of giving them the hint outright. It rewards players for investing in less crunchy skills.

When they do stupid things (run from Goblins), say are you sure? just the first few times, until they "get it."

Again, I'd give them a knowledge check instead of hinting to them. But that's partly because I use "Are you sure?" to screw with my players. :smallamused:

FlyMolo
2008-02-16, 10:10 PM
I'd make them to a knowledge check instead of giving them the hint outright. It rewards players for investing in less crunchy skills.

Again, I'd give them a knowledge check instead of hinting to them. But that's partly because I use "Are you sure?" to screw with my players. :smallamused:
I use knowledge checks like this ALL THE TIME! Amen, brother!

Yami
2008-02-17, 03:59 AM
No,don't. This is terribly rude, and often a poor idea. I've had a DM like that. Are you sure three or four times, and when I finally conceed and take his advice? Bam, I pay for it. Lost too many caracters that way.

Please don't give the new DM bad advice.

Kol Korran
2008-02-17, 07:10 AM
hhhmmmmm, ok- first of all, i'm new to the forums, so if anything on this post looks badly written/ edited or such, well.... i'll get better next time.
a few suggestions/ points though, keeping in mind this is basically their first gaming experience(i'll try to avoid the obvious ones):

1) as said before- 1st level characters, and make the first few adventures simple (with growing complexity of course. their learning won't stop after they reach 2nd level after all).
2) i'd suggest to stick to the simpler classes. (i'd avoid druid and wizard for example, sorcerer would be better). i'd suggest going for the actual duskblade. this class usually works well only for experienced roleplayers, knowing when to cast, what to cast, when to fight, and how to combine their skills. how about a sort of mark/ power (similar to a Dragonmark?) that he can amplify with feats? that way you could create a Tank who has some "magical blood/ affinity" (you could work that into is back story perhaps.
3) through out the first few sessions/ adventures, i'd suggest you add an accompanying NPC (PC class) for various situations. these have several functions:
- they illustrate to the players the basic concepts of the other classes (their roles in a party, weaknesses, strengths, and so on)
- they can move the adventure along, or give warnings/ hints about dangers ("No! don't continue on the path! the trail shows some larger creature with the goblins" said the ranger/ "run!" yelled the cleric, as he called upon his god, to delay the undead/ "in my tribe legends, they say only sharp bleds kill walking dead!" yelled the barbarian, as he attacked the zombies).
- through these characters you can start injecting some crucial elemnts for gaming (cooperation, secondery roles in a party, preperation for challanges, and so on), and roleplaying (initiate conversation, describe simple actions more vividly, andmost importently- relate to the PCs actions). however- don't exagerrate this! most newbies (especially at the age you described) don't like heavy roleplaying. they are usually happy with "i'm Gimly the angry yet joyfull dwarf! i hate elves..."
4) do not, i repeat- do not start hinting for the players! ("are you sure?") this causes most players either to develop some dependency on the DM to get them out of trouble (and then a sense of betrayel when they do die), or make them overly uspicious over his intents. in any case, any kind of obvious direct DM intervention changes the focus from interparty interaction and problem solving, to the ever present "ghost player". way too many DMs do this, and it can realy cramp the style and atmosphere of the game.
you are to appear as the impartial narrator and manager of the game. you are not part of the adventurers group. their decisions, and actions, are their's alone. however-
5) if you do need to "balance the scales" in favor of the players, do so in game- reduce the number of opponents. make their attacks not hit, the trp makes less damage, and so on... try not to be obvious, and for your credibility's sake, don't come 4 sessions later and say "you know that orc chief was supposed to cut your head off back then!" as casual conversation. A DM may brag about how much his playershad fun, how involved they get, an encounter that realy got everyone's interest, and so on. he doesn't brag about outwitting his players... (might as well be a scientist, and brag about tricking the mouse in a maze)
6) as to the adventure: i agree with what others said above, about it being simple, and some what cliche. some importent pints though:
- vivid, lively, full descriptions are realy importent for newbies. prepare in advance for some "catch" the eye features of places, people, and monsters. for an experienced player it might mean more if you tell him "you found a +1 sword" than "you found a sword etched in strange runes, it's weight feels more right for you, andd you hear a slient hum". to a newbie, it's the otherway around. he can't yet appreciate the numerics, but he can appreciate the wonder. that's what he's playing for!
- i'd suggest to start in somewhat of a training session (town barracks, or whatever), ir order for them to understand the basics (type of actions, attack roll, defense roll and so on), or perhaps even a "we've been captured, now we must escape" scenerio (from a very simple place, perhaps abandoned allready. finding equipment on the way. than the basic layout is- 1 encounter to "practice" (put to use) what they learned, and thenext one presents some new difficulty (rough terrain, grapple, while climbing, bull rush, and so on)
- try to create situations/ challanges/ puzzles that require 2 or all 3 of your party to work together (not utterly obvious ones. the challanges could be done by any 2-3 determined people, but the characters can do it more efficiently, and easier) for the sake of teaching cooporation of course.
- one extremley importent note with newbies (importent ewith exxperienced players as well, but far more with newbies): keep the game going. this is more importent than rules, more than "plot integrity", and so on... experienced players can deal with frustration because they know these things happen, and the accept the random inconvinience because they know the game offers far more than that. but newbies might interpert any "stuck up" part of the session as a representation of what the game is normally like.
7) last advice (realy): post session talk with the newbiews, mostly because you don't know them well enough.
that be all.

DrizztFan24
2008-02-19, 10:12 PM
Ok, so we have a location, snacks, players, and character sheets (I went with one made by necerase?). Now I need an adventure. I was thinking start off the adventure with them strolling through the woods. BAM! Ambushed and all knocked unconscious. The PCs will wake up later that night just before the first watch change stripped of their gear and untied in a pen. The kobold guards will be changing posts as soon as the PCs manage stealth (move silently+hide) checks to make it out the gate. The PCs overhear their equipment is being kept in the guard room. PCs locate guard room and get back gear. As they move to leave then the chief of watch enters and get jumped by the players. They get to "persuade" him to work with them either through negotiations (diplomacy or bluff+intimidate) or force. They find out where the kobold shaman and his closest goons are hiding and then get to go turn him into a grease spot.

I was thinking that this way we introduce character to skills and combat within the same adventure. I would mix a couple of skills together for my sake and for their ease. (move silent+hide, bluff+intimidate, knowledge ~+knowledge~+blah+blah+blah into knowledge all) And for their sake I would introduce a PC controlled by me to help them along.

I was also thinking a bard with decent UMD, spells, skills, and bardic knowledge. Then he is not a key player and will be able to sit back and take a minor role during combat and a decent role during negotiations to show the PCs how the non-combat would work; and the bardic knowledge can be helpful for the players (ie. monster weaknesses or strengths, lairs of BBEGs)

Thoughts? ideas?

Miles Invictus
2008-02-20, 02:08 AM
Personal preference: I don't like adventures that involve being railroaded into capture. Might I suggest a slightly different opener? Start the session with your players already captured. It's the same effect, but it preserves the illusion of freedom.

You could kill a lot of birds with that kobold watch captain. If the players don't kill him, you could make him the bard, who wants the current chieftain killed so he can take over the tribe. It gives you a way to remove him when the players don't need his help any more. It even provides a way out for your players if they start botching hide/move silently/escape artist checks. ("I'll make a deal: I'll set you free and pull the warband back if you take out the chieftain for me.")

Superglucose
2008-02-20, 02:28 AM
Wow I remember my first D&D group. Wish I could've kept it going too... my first time playing, and I played an Elf Evocation specialist.

Things I liked:
Extra feat at first level. Granted this was a mistake on the part of the DM when he first read the 3.0 rules, but having that extra feat helped me spread my wings a bit.

Things I didn't like:
Being stuck into situations that my character wasn't really built to handle. I had to diplomacize my way out of an Orc prison... with a charisma penalty and an additional -2 circumstance bonus for being an elf.

Kol Korran
2008-02-20, 11:23 PM
(again- I apologize in advance for any mistakes, since i am not a native english speaker)
as to the adventure, i'd first give some general advice, and then an alternative adventure idea:

1) begin with them allready captured. most players hate being forced into captivity (and being stripped from their belongings). to new players this could feel devestating. and besides- they might spoil your plans (as players often do) and escape/ win the battle. (expeditious retreat and such).

2) the stealhy escape as the kobolds change watch, and the negotiation with the chief of the watch could backfire on you- it only takes one "kobold! attack!!!" player to ruin your chances of stealth. make sure the party know how overwhelming the joint captors forces might be, and with the chief of the watch- that they should negotiate with him. (in the alternative adventure i gave some other idea)

3) the bard sounds like a good idea. if the party doesn't have a healer, then either make him lvl 2, have a wand/ potions of CLW, or add a level of adept. (i have ideas for him in the alternative thingy)

4) something that must be in every adventure- interesting dilemas/ decisions. i've added a few in my suggestion

-- alternative idea --

starting situation: for the past few weeks humanoids have been raiding small hamlets, farms, caravans and such, mostly taking prisoners, and then disappearing (or this may be the first time?). the party, along with others, had been captured and led away, bound, until the captors and their prisoners reached a set of caves. there, they put the prisoners to mine/ dig. the caves are vast though, and some of the humanoids guard the inward tunnels as well...

concept: the captors are not kobolds, but some other race, stronger, but one that they will be able to handle soon enough (Gnolls come to mind, or bugbears?) the entire camp is tense, due to a threat from another force. they are also worried about the other tunnels, going inside.
suddenly, there is a call to arms, and most of the captors rush to the main entrance (far from the players), this might fit into your greater campaign later. it is then that the charactrs can try to make their escape. they meet a stealthy spy/ agent (the bard), who alerts of a possible escape route, and possible allies. but not all is simple...

opportunity arises: (give the players a small map, detailing their location, and the genral caves around them). the party rests in a small cave after their shift, when suddenly some of their captors yell and shout to one another, they call their underlings (beaten goblins or such) to keep watch. these underlings are sorry littlecreatures, afraid and miseable (simple fight, stealth, diplomacy, intimidate). they make their way (little obstacle i suggest), to an equipment room, in which they find some basic stuff (not their equipment per se, but enough to adventure with), it is there that they meet the Agent.

Agent possibilities: this guy/gal trailed the humanoids (fit the reasons with the campaign). there is another entrance to the place, from where a small tribe of kobolds dug (the original inhabitants). he parlied with their leader, and went through a small tunnel they created for him. however, it was sealed by the humanoids once they found it (perhaps by the party's forced labour), and he had to hide till now.
he tells of another way to the kobolds though- between the kobolds and humanoids lies a tunnel, connected to some old ruin/temple/ series of small tunnels... if they could all pass there, they might reach safety. "however, before we go, there is something i must do"

interesting choice: the agent seeks to accomplish a few things, now that the humanoids are busy, and their tunnels are occupied only by a few lowly underlings. But- there is a limited amount of time (note: explain to the players that the time limit is real! none of these mission is compulsory)
each "objective" lies in a different part of the place, the challanges should be fairly easy. some ideas:
- finding clues/ documents about the activities of the humanoids (and perhaps some singular nice equipment in the room).
- the agent heard that a stock of better equipment is somewhere in the tunnels. they must grab an underling, interogate him, and get the loot.
- some of the prisoners ask that they'll take them with them. this will add complication (more people, and the humanoids will more likely notice), but might get a better exp reward, or future connections. alternetavly- just one or two of the prisoners dare to escape (more managable).
- the agent seeks to recover the body/ items of his buddy that was killed by the humanoids (small creature if it's a body). the reward might be the increased loyalty of this companion, or equipment on the body, or finding something unexpected (the buddy wa working for the humanoids?)

anyway, keep some timer/ revolve a cube or something to give the players the impression that their time is limited. once they are ready (feel free to give warnings, such as the sounds of the humanoids in the distance, coming closer), they make their way towards the tunnel leading to the connective part.

connection tunnel/ ruin/ temple: basically, both the humanoids fear this place, as well as the kobolds. the Agent/ bard might give cryptic comments while seeing some ofthe glyphs/ statues/ pillars of the place, justifying the fear. this serves as a somewhat more relaxed training- i suggest this connection be mostly linear, each encounter tailored to explain a different aspect of combat and exploration. some ideas:
- a loooooooonnng room with several pillars, at the end of it are fevered/ diseased/ insane kobolds (some that wandered here and succombed to the influence of the place) with shortbows. this encounter explains cover, ranged combat, and different types of movement (hussle/ run/ charge)
- some spider/vermin with a tough armor, but fairly bad attack and damage, that has a weak poison. it will attack someone with fairly low armor, and might hit once/ twice. this encounter helps to demonstrate cooperative fighting (the agent yelling "try to flank it!" or "if you can't hit it, distract it!" for Aid Another). also, it will teach them about saving throws (fortitude), and ability damage (1-2 points, should be back soon).
- some parts might entail some climbing, or swimming, or jumping (illustrating armor penalty, and reduced modes of movement).
- at some place a smiple creature with some damage reduction (lemure/ skeleton) they should find a suitable (perhaps a bit rusty or antic) weapon before that (silver for lemure, blunt for skel).
- (optional interesting choice) at some point the party may hear the distant voices of a humanoids searching party, ventruing after them. they may either push forward, try to lure/ mislead their followers (a side room with a deadly trap they found earlier perhaps. they might use their skills, illusion magic, animal companions/ familars to help them or scout back). Or, they could perhaps block/ collapse an opening behind them. this would mostly require skills, and perhaps searching for the right materials (skills: search, knowledge dungeoneering/architecture, the climb/swim/jump, and more...)
- situations/ encounters that use the party's abilities (they findsome potions, but the Agent says this place corrupts things, makes them evil. the Paladin uses detect evil to find the non corrupted ones. a diseased powerfull critter feels threatened by the party. the druid/ ranger pacify it. a door is stuck and doesn't budge- the fighter/ barbarian smashes it. and so on...
- if the party has any other survivors with it, then bolstering their courage, andmaking them usefull (as far as they can be), might be a challange by itself. if you plan for that, make the accompanying prisoners personalities a bit hard to handle, but not to much.

be ready to place someplace for the characters to rest in the middle (preferably after creating a diversion/ blockage for their pursuers, though not necessery). use this break also to encourage roleplay. the agent starts to ask about the characters' past, their plans, aspirations , s/he explains where he is from, about the kobold tribe, and so on.

The Kobold tunnels: as the party finally arrives at the kobolds, they find that not all is well. the guard at the tunnel opening is not pleased to see them, and tells them things have changed since Agent left them. (this should be an interesting encounter- varying diplomacy/ intimidate/ bluff/ sense motive skills and so on, coupled with the party's actions and attitude will determine how much information they gather, how much support and cooperation they get from the kobolds, and if the kobolds demand them to surrender, be bound, hand their weapons and such). I'd suggest that you arrange it that if the party does decide to fight, make it a slightly tough fight, but not unwinable. always leave the players options.

the situation at the kobold tribe: the chieftain did agree to help Agent, but appearently his advisor/ son/ cousin (i'll call him the betrayer)didn't. he contacted the humanoids, and soon some delegations came. this helped the betrayer seize control over the tribe, and throw the former leader into soem cell/ dungeon. the tribe is devided, and most follow betrayer. (your shaman).

interesting choices: the party needs to escape. how they do that is problematic. each course may have it's own problems:
- try and rescue the legitimate chieftain, so he'll help them: the ruler is guarded by either tougher Kobolds (perhaps with a lvl 1 sorcerer/ adept?), or some creatures the kobolds raise (krenshar?). the betrayer is alerted though. as they try to escape the party must cross the great hall (a large cave), where the two groups meet. this encounter is both persuaion/ bluffing, and a great combat, with the characters on the betrayer's tail.
- the kobolds fear some monster that escaped from the connective tunnel. it killed several of them allready, and is causing great terror. part of the reason the betrayer is supported by the majority of the tribe is because he promised the humanoids will get rid of the monster. if the characters venture themselves into the side tunnel where the monster lairs, and bring back her body, the betrayer's hold on the ribe will weaken. (perhaps there are hints or rumors in the ruins as to the capabilites of the monster). the monster should inspire terror, and should be a somewhat tough fight. possible ideas: darkmantle, dretch, vargouille, fiendish spider swarm...
- the party infiltrates (or comes under the disguise of prisoners) to the caverns of the betrayer himself. this is a more classic small dungeon wipe out.
- the party tries to get rid of the humanoids "delegation", by some subterfuge. (can't think of any now) this should probably be the more dangerous course.
- the party creats some either diversion and sneaks to the outside.

I suggest that it would be apperant that the delgation is beyond that party's capabilities (several gnolls/ bugbears and some mysterious lieutenant?), though perhaps by spying on them they might glance more information for the campaign (another interesting, though dengarous decision). the party either sneaks by them, or get the tribe to help them drive them off.

final escape: whatever road the party takes, it escapes (with the delegation either unaware of them, or fleeing back to the main force.
what next? your campaign, not mine...

hope this helped.sorry for the length. let me know how it went in the end.

Yakk
2008-02-21, 12:20 AM
Start off with the core classes.

Ask them to create a bunch of young people from a small village from the core classes, all level 1.

They are all inexperienced.

Next, the backstory: the gnoll raids have been getting worse and worse. 2 weeks ago, the muster was called up, and the combat effectives of the village where sent out to push back the gnoll incursion.

You where left behind.

And then... adventure starts. The daughter of the mayor was riding a horse up in the mountains, and found a cave. Her companion was scared and didn't want to go in, so the daughter went in alone.

And didn't come out.

The companion panic'd, and ran back to town.

Your characters are apprentice members of the "warrior caste", and the only ones left in town. The mayor (an old man) asks you to go off and find his daughter.

The cave leads to a dungeon, in which the players try to find the daughter.

Cultural details:
The village is part of a small province, which is an isolated part of a large empire.

The society has a "warrior caste" that defends itself. Both males and females can join the "warrior caste".

There is an apprentice phase in which one learns how to defend oneself. This ends with a trial of heroics. Traditionally this was a dangerous mission to defend the community, but recently it tended to be reduced to a duel done at a ritual time and place. Saving the daughter of the town's mayor would be an example of the traditional right of passage.

The Warrior caste is a high honor, and gives you the right to vote.

Members of the Warrior caste cannot hold political office, but you can "retire" from the caste. Almost all politicals are retired Warrior caste members.

Contact with the empire used to be more common, but recently it has just been reduced to tax men. The growing Gnoll problem in the mountains that contain the passes to the empire has reduced trade sharply.

There are sufficient "masters" for the players to have studied the core classes locally. These masters are either physically crippled by age/injury, or went off with the muster.

There are lots of future adventure hooks. The PCs will have made it to full warrior caste status (and probably level 2/3) by the end of the first adventure.

Some further possible hooks:
The war muster returns, triumphant, but bled. The PCs are accepted as full Warriors by their former teachers. As the freshest heroes, they are given the traditional right to solve the next problem!

The war muster returns, nearly completely wiped out. The PCs are now one of the few who can protect the village.

The PCs find one or more artifacts in the cave, which bonds with one or more of the PCs and won't let go. After possibly another adventure, a lore master tells the PCs that they have to find out about the artifact, and sends them off on a travel-quest to find something out. Complications ensue.

The PCs are sent to scout out a possible nest of Gnolls. They find the Gnolls, but the Gnolls notice the PCs -- and they are chased. The PCs know of an ancient bolt-hole (Knowledge [Warrior Caste] check, a skill they get for free from their backstory), but after fleeing into the bolt-hole it turns out that something else has taken up residence in the deeper parts of it...

The PCs are honored for their achievements, and are sent to the capitol. Along the way, one of their masters asks them to deliver some pies to his sister. They are ambushed by people from a nearby rival, who demand the pies -- it turns out the pies contain, baked within them, some runes containing some kind of secret message. What is their master up to? What is the message? And when they arrive, they find the sister ... dead? dieing? magically possessed? Arrested on charges of witchcraft? Left, having gone to the capitol after someone tried to kill her?

Eventually they find out that the Empire itself has been overrun by (Humanoids? A series of snake-worshipping cults from the far west? An invasion from the sea? Internal war, followed by a breakdown of the magical infrastructure, and mass collapse of society?) Their small, backward province is the last bastion of true civilization!

Note the above is stolen blatantly from various Rpg.net posts, GiantITP posts, fantasy novels, and other sources. :)

Yami
2008-02-21, 05:05 AM
I was thinking start off the adventure with them strolling through the woods. BAM! Ambushed and all knocked unconscious. The PCs will wake up later that night just before the first watch change stripped of their gear and untied in a pen.
I second the "start them captured" idea. Your PC's are going to want a world to play with, to interact with. If they get captured, just like that, without much of a chance to do anything, they'll start your game feeling cheating. Just start off telling them they were captured in the night or something.

The kobold guards will be changing posts as soon as the PCs manage stealth (move silently+hide) checks to make it out the gate. The PCs overhear their equipment is being kept in the guard room. PCs locate guard room and get back gear.
Just so you know, someone is going to fail that sneak check. Can they fight off a few kobolds unarmed? perhaps an errant 10' pole or two could be lying about, or maybe a torch that could double as a poor man's club? Also I would like to know why two kobolds would chat about the parties loot in common rather than thier native tounge. Perhaps having them fiddle around with the mages spell pouch so they know what building the stuff is in?

As they move to leave then the chief of watch enters and get jumped by the players. They get to "persuade" him to work with them either through negotiations (diplomacy or bluff+intimidate) or force. They find out where the kobold shaman and his closest goons are hiding and then get to go turn him into a grease spot.
Never underestimate the player's ability to react differently than expected. And never forget that all your NPC's are large walking EXP signs. I have only once had an NPC live that I thought the PC's would kill. I've lost tons I made for thier benifit.