PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 vs. PC

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-15, 11:13 PM
I've noticed that many of the best Xbox 360 games out there either also have PC versions (Bioshock, Assassin's Creed and The Orange Box for example), while others recieve PC ports after their original release, usually with enhanced content (like Fable, Jade Empire and now Mass Effect). I'm curious as to whether it's worth the trouble and money for someone like me, who lacks an Xbox 360 and thus cannot enjoy these great games right after their release, to buy one, or just wait for the PC version. The 360 definately has swell graphics, and you never need to upgrade it, but it costs a lot of money and for someone who's already shelled out money for a PC that's not much fun. Plus you can enjoy the goods right away, instead of having to wait like us PC gamers do. On the other hand, many games (usually ones whose PC versions come later rather than being released at the same time) get bonus material not available to console players.

I'm currently deciding on whether to buy an Xbox 360 at the beggining of the summer to play Mass Effect, or just buy the PC version which will come out at approximately the same time.

I was wondering what the community at large felt about this ongoing debate.

Is the Xbox 360 worth paying through the nose for? Or should I stick with my trusty PC?

Malic
2008-02-15, 11:29 PM
I say stick with the Pc. Extra Content + Better Graphics + Superior Controls + Free online play ( on most games and if your in to it) + mods ( yay also if your in to it but i mean come on it's like free expansion packs or free full games) - wait = Yay.

It's just that simple, "Patience is a virtue."

factotum
2008-02-16, 02:33 AM
The only reason for having a 360 is if you want to play 360 exclusive content, realistically. "Wait for the PC version" is a valid strategy so long as you're sure there will be a PC version...this is not always the case!

Not sure why you say a 360 is expensive. In the UK an XBox Premiere with a free game costs £249, which is a lot cheaper than any PC I know of; heck, it's cheaper than some graphics cards!

warty goblin
2008-02-16, 09:45 AM
The only reason for having a 360 is if you want to play 360 exclusive content, realistically. "Wait for the PC version" is a valid strategy so long as you're sure there will be a PC version...this is not always the case!

Not sure why you say a 360 is expensive. In the UK an XBox Premiere with a free game costs £249, which is a lot cheaper than any PC I know of; heck, it's cheaper than some graphics cards!

I actually crunched some numbers, and by the time you toss in all of the other stuff you need for an XBox/other console, the PC isn't that much more expensive. Thing is, even with a console you're likely to need a computer anyway, so you can check e-mail, pay bills, print stuff and etc. Granted it can be a dirt cheap one, but the need is still there. Now take all of that money you'd spend on the console and throw it towards upgrading the PC, high-def monitors are cheaper than HD TVs, games save $10 a pop and so on...

Don't get me wrong, a high quality PC is undeniably more expensive than any of the consoles, just not as much as it initiall appears.

factotum
2008-02-16, 12:21 PM
I was kind of assuming that the OP already had a PC so didn't need to take the cost of one into consideration. Besides, if you genuinely don't care about playing modern games on it you could build a perfectly capable PC for a couple of hundred quid, which hardly pushes the total cost into the stratosphere.

Rogue 7
2008-02-16, 03:32 PM
Am I the only one who prefers console control systems to PC ones? Mouse and keyboard have never sat well with me, so I'll take the Console.

Jibar
2008-02-16, 03:40 PM
Am I the only one who prefers console control systems to PC ones? Mouse and keyboard have never sat well with me, so I'll take the Console.

Depends on game for me.
I've mainly got my PC for my RTSs and RPGs.
When it comes down to it, I'll always pick up the console version rather than the PC version, because they're simpler.
If I get it on the PC, I have to worry about requirements, which key on my 27+ button controller does what, if I'll have to take games off to free up memory, patchs, graphics settings to make it run better, then there's the installing where they always try and trick me with their different installation settings.
Contrast that with my console, where it's just buy, put it in, let it load, play.
The only times when I've forcefully been against the console versions, is when there's a modding community, like Oblivion or Half-Life 2. Mods make the PC better, easily. And in Oblivion's case, I don't understand you play with the mouse. It just doesn't seem possible.

Cybren
2008-02-16, 03:40 PM
You're thinking about it wrong. Many PC games have a 360 version (Bioshock, the Orange Box, Oblivion, etc). You should play the game on the platform it was meant for, if you can. If you have access to one platform only, then getting the port is fine.

The idea that PCs are more expensive than consoles to game on is, frankly, a myth. Consider the cost of the console, the cost of the live service, additional controllers, the TV & sound system (which bottleneck console games more than a monitor does the PC), the higher cost of games (console games are typically $5-10 more expensive), and you're easily running as much as a high end PC. Take out the TV, to assume you already have a suitable one, then you're easily running a upper-mid range PC.

Here's an example I ran for a friend of mine
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=8023868
$324 that will upgrade most PCs to play any game on the market at fair settings.

Reinboom
2008-02-16, 03:49 PM

Then purchase the 360 controllers you were going to anyways and connect them to your PC.
:smallconfused:

I personally love the 360 controller. Not fond of the 360 itself... but the controller is great.

Anyways, I have to say PC. More options.
And mods.

Mr._Blinky
2008-02-16, 04:31 PM
You're thinking about it wrong. Many PC games have a 360 version (Bioshock, the Orange Box, Oblivion, etc). You should play the game on the platform it was meant for, if you can. If you have access to one platform only, then getting the port is fine.

The idea that PCs are more expensive than consoles to game on is, frankly, a myth. Consider the cost of the console, the cost of the live service, additional controllers, the TV & sound system (which bottleneck console games more than a monitor does the PC), the higher cost of games (console games are typically $5-10 more expensive), and you're easily running as much as a high end PC. Take out the TV, to assume you already have a suitable one, then you're easily running a upper-mid range PC.

Here's an example I ran for a friend of mine
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.asp?ID=8023868
$324 that will upgrade most PCs to play any game on the market at fair settings.
I wouldn't count controllers, to be honest. If you're going to be playing with multiple people on one box, then it's more expensive, but on PC you can't even do that. Its more fair to compare the one-player-one-system aspects, since the extra controllers are more of an extra feature for the x-box than anything.

Felizginato12
2008-02-16, 06:18 PM
If you have the money a PC is way better...different mods alone can make a good game even better. Plus a PC can do more then a console can (outside of games).

Then again a really good PC costs way more then a 360. I suppose it is all about price and how well you handle computers (people usually don't play PC games over consoles because they don't really know how to upgrade their computers...at least that goes for the more casual electronics crowd).

LordVader
2008-02-16, 10:15 PM
Mods are an awesome reason to go PC, as is free online.

Also, if you want to play RTSs, PC all the way- there is really no other home for RTSs besides the PC. (or Mac, for the pitifully few ones they actual have. :smallbiggrin: )

Premsyl
2008-02-16, 10:39 PM
XBox games can look real perty on my big hdtv. Also: achievements.

Reinboom
2008-02-16, 11:11 PM
XBox games can look real perty on my big hdtv.

So can a PC game. :smallconfused:
Just connect the PC to the TV.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-16, 11:14 PM
XBox games can look real perty on my big hdtv. Also: achievements.

I see your point, but what about people like me who have no big HDTV?

Premsyl
2008-02-16, 11:22 PM
So can a PC game.
Just connect the PC to the TV.

XBox games are created in HD format. A PC game on an hdtv would just be a bigger picture.

I see your point, but what about people like me who have no big HDTV?

Uncivilized heathen! j/k

I own a gaming PC, I just so happen to own an Xbox with an hdtv as well. I play more Xbox. The games come out first, more interesting titles to choose from imo, they look better (in high def), and I personally prefer controllers to the keyboard. There are definitely games that should only be played on PC, though, as stated. RTS, point-and-click rpgs (NWN, Diablo), mmorpgs. I guess it depends on taste, and resources.

Seems to me that PC's as a gaming platform are falling behind. The numbers aren't there to attract the developers. All the titles Zousha listed in the first post are highly successful console titles, that may not have seen a PC port if not for their success.

Reinboom
2008-02-16, 11:41 PM
XBox games are created in HD format. A PC game on an hdtv would just be a bigger picture.

HD = (high definition) higher resolution than the last segment of TVs and a different broadcast.
A higher frame rate than the lest segment of TVs as well.

Your 1080 (either i or p) is equivalent to: 1920 x 1080 resolution.
Which, if the TV supports it, should be the same as what the PC can also send to it once it detects your TV.

*XBox games are created in a higher resolution. A PC game on an hdtv would just be... a... higher resolution.

Then comes the PC games going to a decent modern day monitor.
Which are even higher resolution.

Premsyl
2008-02-16, 11:56 PM
I just got schooled. :smallredface:

Lokey
2008-02-17, 04:40 AM
I just got schooled. :smallredface:
But who is better off--someone that knows how the expensive toys work or someone that has the expensive toys but is :smallconfused:?

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-17, 10:04 AM
Uncivilized heathen! j/k

I resent that remark. I'll have you know that the primary reason for my current situation is because my parents are currently putting a lot of money aside to put me through college, and that's only going to increase when my brother starts college himself.

warty goblin
2008-02-17, 11:19 AM
I resent that remark. I'll have you know that the primary reason for my current situation is because my parents are currently putting a lot of money aside to put me through college, and that's only going to increase when my brother starts college himself.

Ah, college induced poverty. Nothing like the thrill of realizing you have exactly $550 to make it through the semester, and textbooks are gonna run$400...

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-17, 12:37 PM
The fact that I have to try and make ends meet by tromping around the campus parking lots in the freezing cold weather for three friggin' hours a day just to check the cars so I can write tickets doesn't make it any more appealing.:smallannoyed:

warty goblin
2008-02-17, 12:50 PM
The fact that I have to try and make ends meet by tromping around the campus parking lots in the freezing cokd weather just to check the cars so I can write tickets doesn't make it any more appealing.:smallannoyed:

Damn, that sucks. I don't have to do that fortunately, since I got a reasonably decent job last summer and tend to live pretty cheap (not having any friends helps in this regard, saves on the pizza expenses). That and I go to college in such a fleebag little down there's nothing to spend money on anyway. Now if I could just talk the parents into letting me cancel the cell phone...
This is why I hate college so much. They take my time, money and freedom, and then they expect me to be grateful for the opportunity...

Only two more years of this idiocy, then I can go on to...grad school! Yay!

the_tick_rules
2008-02-17, 02:34 PM
pc games also have a bunch more mods that can be applied to it. but i usually prefer the controls of the 360. i go 360 myself.

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-19, 08:54 AM
I guess I'll stick with my PC. I'm going to have to shell out money for Mass Effect anyway, and there were other PC games I've had my eye on, like The Witcher.

Reinboom
2008-02-19, 09:00 AM
PC I shall still emphasize the better choice. :smalltongue:

The arguments:
Controls- you can connect a 360 controller to a PC.

HDTV- PCs actually have higher resolutions than what this allows.

Games- Many star games for the 360 gets ported to the PC, this is a slight benefit for the 360... but only if you are impatient waiting the time of the port.

Cost- PC costs less overall.

Now... in all of this, there is something the 360 has still over the PC...
Offline Multiplayer- PCs, generally being more personal usually don't support this for modern games, I believe.
So, split screening games is normally out.

Just to provide an recap for you, no reason. :smalltongue:

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-19, 11:32 PM
In the words of Yahtzee, "I don't give a flying sh*t about multiplayer".

Crispy Dave
2008-02-19, 11:36 PM
well if you dotn care about multiplayer then you probley only want the cheap 360 which is $275 and comes with a 256 mb memory card and thats plenty for save files on all your games

Archpaladin Zousha
2008-02-19, 11:39 PM
well if you dotn care about multiplayer then you probley only want the cheap 360 which is $275 and comes with a 256 mb memory card and thats plenty for save files on all your games

I've decided against buying an Xbox 360, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind should I decide to purchase it in the future. Thanks!

sheepofoblivion
2008-03-01, 09:47 PM
Depends on game for me.
I've mainly got my PC for my RTSs and RPGs.
When it comes down to it, I'll always pick up the console version rather than the PC version, because they're simpler.
If I get it on the PC, I have to worry about requirements, which key on my 27+ button controller does what, if I'll have to take games off to free up memory, patchs, graphics settings to make it run better, then there's the installing where they always try and trick me with their different installation settings.
Contrast that with my console, where it's just buy, put it in, let it load, play.
The only times when I've forcefully been against the console versions, is when there's a modding community, like Oblivion or Half-Life 2. Mods make the PC better, easily. And in Oblivion's case, I don't understand you play with the mouse. It just doesn't seem possible.

I personally like Oblivion a lot more... I played it on my friends xbox 360 on his character, same settings and stuff, and it just seemed weird... without a mouse, not being able to turn in a fraction of a second, all these weird things I personally couldn't get over... (besides, I think morrowind/oblivion were made for computor, then made for 360...) for the keyboard, you do have more buttons, is that good or bad? you can keys for different things, you can have everything close enough so you just move you finger half a centimeter.

I also like the 360 controller though... the triggers and stuff... hmm this is hard...

you can't "snipe" with a mouse... because it's just move mouse over something shoot, but with a 360 or other console, it's move joysticks so its perfect... I noticed a big differnce between battlefront 2 (not my fav. game) on PS2 v. Comp (I had a ps2 and my friend had a comp) it was too easy to snipe, he had all the awards and stuff for sniping, while on my ps2, it was a lot harder to snipe.. .I guess it's just what game you play first on what... some games like Halo are xbox, to me, if you put it on a computer it goes x.x, and other games, like counter-strike are for comp, if you put it on xbox it goes x.x... maybe that's just me... I like having both though, (and there are some games which only come out for the 360, and you don't have to worry about memory or anything...)

warty goblin
2008-03-01, 10:42 PM
I personally like Oblivion a lot more... I played it on my friends xbox 360 on his character, same settings and stuff, and it just seemed weird... without a mouse, not being able to turn in a fraction of a second, all these weird things I personally couldn't get over... (besides, I think morrowind/oblivion were made for computor, then made for 360...) for the keyboard, you do have more buttons, is that good or bad? you can keys for different things, you can have everything close enough so you just move you finger half a centimeter.

I also like the 360 controller though... the triggers and stuff... hmm this is hard...

you can't "snipe" with a mouse... because it's just move mouse over something shoot, but with a 360 or other console, it's move joysticks so its perfect... I noticed a big differnce between battlefront 2 (not my fav. game) on PS2 v. Comp (I had a ps2 and my friend had a comp) it was too easy to snipe, he had all the awards and stuff for sniping, while on my ps2, it was a lot harder to snipe.. .I guess it's just what game you play first on what... some games like Halo are xbox, to me, if you put it on a computer it goes x.x, and other games, like counter-strike are for comp, if you put it on xbox it goes x.x... maybe that's just me... I like having both though, (and there are some games which only come out for the 360, and you don't have to worry about memory or anything...)

Funnily enough, that is exactly the opposite of my experience. In most FPS games I am a total sniping <insert inapropriate term of your choice here> and I can say that I can do things with my trusty HD laser mouse that I could not begin to even attempt with analogue sticks. For one thing, in order to turn fast on the analogues, you have to slam 'em all the way over, which in turn means you can't slow down your turn rate as fast, making small aim adjustments difficult. With the mouse on the other hand, I can simply move as far as I want to in whatever direction I want and then stop, simple as that. With the wonderful off-center movement sensor in my mouse I can do a 90 degree rotation just by flicking my wrist, and a full 360 with only minor twisting- the mouse you use matters a lot.

I also find it interesting that console games tend to have auto-aim, whereas PC games don't.

sheepofoblivion
2008-03-02, 01:34 AM
that's... sorta what I meant.... it's a ton easier to snipe with a mouse is what I'm saying, so its not "real sniping"... that's what I was trying to say, sorry if it wasn't clear...

factotum
2008-03-02, 02:11 AM
Why are you assuming that "real sniping" has to be difficult? In fact, it would be in the interests of the army to make it as easy as possible...

sheepofoblivion
2008-03-02, 01:30 PM
...meh, I just don't like how on comp games you can just aim, click, instead of having to do it bit by bit...

I guess by real, I meant realistic, real snipers actually take immense amounts of time to set up, get flash suppresors in a secluded area, and wait for the perfect window of oppurtunity to fire, not just crouch, fire...

I just like sniping on consoles more... I have no idea why... (also you can calibrate your joysticks to move a lot, or a little if you like sniping (you can do the same with mouses...))