PDA

View Full Version : Tsukiko's Eyes Question

Phae Nymna
2008-02-15, 11:41 PM
Hey, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but do you folks think that Tsukiko is dominated? I just noted that her eyes look like Thanh's after she dominated him so I was wondering...:smallconfused:

Souju
2008-02-15, 11:42 PM
Hey, I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but do you folks think that Tsukiko is dominated? I just noted that her eyes look like Thanh's after she dominated him so I was wondering...:smallconfused:

or maybe when she dominates someone their eyes look like hers?

Reptilius
2008-02-15, 11:52 PM
Yeah, that makes more sense.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-16, 02:05 AM
Tsukiko has Heterochromia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterochromia) because she's a Mystic Theurge: it represents her two types of magic. Also, because she's from a country filled with (often unintentional) anime tropes (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BoatLights).

Tempest Fennac
2008-02-16, 02:43 AM
Would all MTs have Heterochromia, though? I assumed that Tharn's eyes changing was just a side-effect of the Dominate Person spell.

Green Bean
2008-02-16, 10:10 AM
Would all MTs have Heterochromia, though? I assumed that Tharn's eyes changing was just a side-effect of the Dominate Person spell.

The whole 'eyes changing colour' thing seems to be part of mind control spells in general (like here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0383.html)). The way I understand it is that Heterochromia is the side effect of Tsukiko's Mystic Theurge-dom (though there's no way to tell if all MTs have this, or if it's specific to her), which is then passed along by the Domination spell.

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-16, 02:04 PM
I've always wondered if her eyes was a reference to Keith Baker's eyes... I believe Keith has blue and brown eyes, but I'm not sure. Keith makes an appearance in Start of Darkness, and although the artwork is black and white (mostly), you can see that Keith has two different eye colors.

But my opinion is that her eyes are that way to represent in her world the two forces she controls... Black for Arcane Magic, specifically necromancy, and blue for Divine magic.

I've also wondered if it represents something from Magic; the Gathering. I had a deck set to Black and Blue, known as the Bruise Brothers. A suprisingly lethal combonation.

It could be nothing, or it might provide a real insight to Tsukiko's character and potential powers.

Souju
2008-02-16, 02:37 PM
I've always wondered if her eyes was a reference to Keith Baker's eyes... I believe Keith has blue and brown eyes, but I'm not sure. Keith makes an appearance in Start of Darkness, and although the artwork is black and white (mostly), you can see that Keith has two different eye colors.

But my opinion is that her eyes are that way to represent in her world the two forces she controls... Black for Arcane Magic, specifically necromancy, and blue for Divine magic.

I've also wondered if it represents something from Magic; the Gathering. I had a deck set to Black and Blue, known as the Bruise Brothers. A suprisingly lethal combonation.

It could be nothing, or it might provide a real insight to Tsukiko's character and potential powers.

i think it just means that since her model is more unique than most, she's gonna be around for a bit

Half-blood
2008-02-16, 02:56 PM
Well it's either one of the things above, or The Giant accidently colored her eyes wrong, but kept it that way because it looked really cool. probably the former because the giant doesn't screw up often (if at all.)

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-16, 03:20 PM
Five years ago Tsukiko and her family got in a terrible car accident which killed her parents, her sister and poked out her eye. She then got a donor eye from her dead mother who had purple eyes. Driven mad because she survived and haunted by her family's ghost , Tsukiko began her plunge into dark magic in a feeble attempt to bring her parents back to life. Her attempt failed and and left her emotionally scarred and caused her to believe the living were evil.

Fitzclowningham
2008-02-16, 03:27 PM
It's because she's weird. The fact that the two colors can also help illustrate her two types of magic is a bonus.

ZFR
2008-02-16, 05:13 PM
I think Belkar's eyes represent that too. One for Barbarian, the other for ranger.

Mee
2008-02-16, 06:26 PM
What if it's just there to look cool? Is that an option?

T-O-E
2008-02-16, 09:04 PM
I think Belkar's eyes represent that too. One for Barbarian, the other for ranger.

I re-read the last comic, focusing on Belkar's eyes and I only noticed the difference in shape, is this what you're referencing?

Yendor
2008-02-16, 09:32 PM
What if it's just there to look cool? Is that an option?
That's crazy talk.

Oh, and everybody has eyes that are different shapes.

Animefunkmaster
2008-02-16, 10:08 PM
Perhaps she has no eyes *some kind of undead* and can only see via some form of blindsense... she found two rocks/gems for eyes and doesn't actually know they are different colors.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 02:38 AM
Perhaps she has no eyes *some kind of undead* and can only see via some form of blindsense... she found two rocks/gems for eyes and doesn't actually know they are different colors.

Tsukiko isn't undead. She offers herself to Xykon and he declines and says that he isn't a biophiliac.

the_tick_rules
2008-02-17, 02:15 PM
i'm going with the seeming favorite of it represents her two magics.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 02:19 PM
i'm going with the seeming favorite of it represents her two magics.

It does seem better than my theory.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-02-17, 02:29 PM
I vote for the idea that she's just born with Heterochromia.

Why is the necromancer tall, gaunt and pale? Why is the wizard always gray and old? Why is the fighter big and burly? Why are the mole people always albinos? Because the physical appearance just happens to fit an archetype.

It's just the way her eyes are. But they also happen to imply that she's off-kilter and abnormal (if not outright unnatural) compared to most humans. She does have a self-professed lust for undead and considers her creations her "children." To the point that she has them hold hands in a buddy system and mothers them. And she readily identifies herself by her hatred for all things living.

In fact, just look at it from Elan's bardic point of view: It just makes good narrative sense.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 02:34 PM
What you've done is made your argument void. Archtypes are archtypes for a reason.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-02-17, 02:35 PM
What you've done is made your argument void. Archtypes are archtypes for a reason.
I don't see how. She's an undead-loving nihilist. Ergo she has to be born with some sort of "physical deformity."

That's just how it works in fantasy. Evil people are sometimes supposed to be readily identifiable. It's what OotS parodies quite often. (Nale is recognized as being the evil twin because he has a goatee.)

EDIT: And to get into symbolism: the eyes might imply that she doesn't see the rest of the world in the same way that most of the other characters would.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 02:44 PM
I don't see how. She's an undead-loving nihilist. Ergo she has to be born with some sort of "physical deformity."

That's just how it works in fantasy. Evil people are sometimes supposed to be readily identifiable. It's what OotS parodies quite often. (Nale is recognized as being the evil twin because he has a goatee.)

Belkar is an evil nihilist, Redcloak is evil, lots of people are evil w/ out deformities.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-02-17, 02:52 PM
Belkar is an evil nihilist, Redcloak is evil, lots of people are evil w/ out deformities.
Meh, details, details.

Redcloak is goblin, which usually speaks for itself. It's actually better to play him as a straight-man who's sick of the "goblins are the ever-plentiful mooks of evil" trope.

Belkar is a bitter and pugnacious little-man. Which is plenty of characterization anyway, and you'd be right to point out that this has nothing to do with "evil people are deformed."

However, my point is simply that you can take Tsukiko's eyes at face value as a character design element.

Malfunctioned
2008-02-17, 02:55 PM
Meh, details, details.

Redcloak is goblin, which usually speaks for itself. It's actually better to play him as a straight-man who's sick of the "goblins are the ever-plentiful mooks of evil" trope.

Belkar is a bitter and pugnacious little-man. Which is plenty of characterization anyway, and you'd be right to point out that this has nothing to do with "evil people are deformed."

However, my point is simply that you can take Tsukiko's eyes at face value as a character design element.

So you're not counting the fact that her blue eye switches depending on whether she's using arcane or divine magic?

LurkerInPlayground
2008-02-17, 03:00 PM
So you're not counting the fact that her blue eye switches depending on whether she's using arcane or divine magic?
Hmm. . .I've never actually noticed that to be honest.

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 03:03 PM
Lurker saying "Meh,details, details." In response to me arguing your theory is what you say when someone disagrees w/ you then why try and argue.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-02-17, 03:14 PM
There doesn’t actually seem to be any consistency to which color a given eye happens to be.

Here her eyes swap in mid-conversation (Panel 2 --> Panel 3):
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0457.html

Her right eye is blue when she casts Cure Critical Wounds and switches to black when she shoots Haley with Electric Orb:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0518.html

However the right eye goes back to blue when she casts Fire Orb and Quickened Lesser Acid Orb:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0519.html

In other words, they seem to swap at random.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-02-17, 03:18 PM
Lurker saying "Meh,details, details." In response to me arguing your theory is what you say when someone disagrees w/ you then why try and argue.
If you want to get overly technical, I did qualify my statement earlier by saying this wasn't *always* the case. (Only "some" characters get this treatment. There are the obvious exceptions to cliches.) So yes, I acknowledged that it is a generalization. Still doesn't change what I said about it being a well-known trope that some villains have a case of "evil deformities." (And to pick nits, Belkar isn't even technically a villain, just "evil.")

The real underlining point I'm getting across is that her eyes are character design. I think it's a bit silly that people are coming up with overly-involved continuity reasons for her eyes when it's much simpler to take them at face value.

Souju
2008-02-17, 04:24 PM
Maybe it's one of those fun little things Giant throws into the comic to make us all debate for days and days about the significance when he really just had a coloring error the first time she appeared and decided to make it a running gag?

Phae Nymna
2008-02-17, 04:41 PM
Maybe it's one of those fun little things Giant throws into the comic to make us all debate for days and days about the significance when he really just had a coloring error the first time she appeared and decided to make it a running gag?

Nah... that couldn't possibly be so.:smalltongue:

Silver2195
2008-02-17, 04:46 PM
It's much cooler if you think of it as deliberate.

The Extinguisher
2008-02-17, 05:17 PM
Now, does she have heterochromia because she's a mystic theurge, or is she a mystic theurge because she has heterochromia?

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 07:17 PM
Now, does she have heterochromia because she's a mystic theurge, or is she a mystic theurge because she has heterochromia?

Both. At the same time.

Phae Nymna
2008-02-17, 09:56 PM
Let's just call the slaad... :smalleek:

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-17, 10:34 PM
Let's just call the slaad... :smalleek:

You can call him anything you want, just don't call him late for dinner.

dragongirl13
2008-03-13, 11:54 PM
Tsukiko's eyes correspond to the colors of her Arcane and Divine magic: Purple for Arcane and blue for Divine.

LurkerInPlayground
2008-03-14, 01:15 AM
Tsukiko's eyes correspond to the colors of her Arcane and Divine magic: Purple for Arcane and blue for Divine.
No they don't. Read the thread before resurrecting them just to make your piercing insights.

Theodoriph
2008-03-14, 01:37 AM
I vote for the idea that she's just born with Heterochromia.

Why is the necromancer tall, gaunt and pale? Why is the wizard always gray and old? Why is the fighter big and burly? Why are the mole people always albinos? Because the physical appearance just happens to fit an archetype.

It's just the way her eyes are. But they also happen to imply that she's off-kilter and abnormal (if not outright unnatural) compared to most humans. She does have a self-professed lust for undead and considers her creations her "children." To the point that she has them hold hands in a buddy system and mothers them. And she readily identifies herself by her hatred for all things living.

In fact, just look at it from Elan's bardic point of view: It just makes good narrative sense.

The mole people are likely generally considered albinos because they live underground. If they're like humans, then the lack of sunlight would mean that they evolved without pigments in their skin (our pigment after all is a protection mechanism designed to shield us from the sun's rays). It makes evolutionary sense.

The fighter being big and burly is fairly obvious and also is not just to fit an archetype. Physically, they should be big and burly compared to pipecleaner joe schmoe.

Teron
2008-03-14, 02:19 AM
She has the Eye of Vecna. Duh!

fractal
2008-03-14, 02:37 AM
That's crazy talk.

Oh, and everybody has eyes that are different shapes.
Yeah. One of my eyes has the tear duct on the right-hand side, and the other eye has it on the left-hand side.

Felixaar
2008-03-15, 06:34 AM
I had a deck set to Black and Blue, known as the Bruise Brothers. A suprisingly lethal combonation.

*applauds* very nice.

I'd say random character trait, since she'd be nothing but black and skin otherwise. Obviously related to her magics.

Necron2.0
2008-03-17, 06:41 AM
She could also suffer from Tetragametic Chimerism (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)). Unlikely, but possible.