PDA

View Full Version : Blessing In Disguise? [OtOoPCs Spoilers]

Forealms
2008-02-16, 01:27 AM
My apologies if this has been mentioned before.

I don't have my copy of On the Origin of PCs handy at the moment, so I'm going to base this off memory. (However, I do have a copy of OotS 375 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0375.html) for reference.)

18 years ago (or 19, now?), Durkon was cast away from his mountain home at the behest of Thor's prophecy, which said that, when Durkon returns to his home, it will be destroyed, withered, etc. In comic 375, we see the MitD eat the letter saying Durkon may return to his home, as the new high priest is obviously unaware of the prophecy.

Of note is the only one to transport the letter has passed on. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0464.html) As I said before, the MitD has eaten the letter, the last hope of Durkon hearing the good news. So, assuming that the dwarves in Durkon's home aren't overly suspicious of Durkon's not-so-hasty return and won't send another messenger out...

Has the MitD ensured the continued (so far) survival of Durkon's friends and family?

Icewalker
2008-02-16, 01:40 AM
An interesting note on the prophecy:
The prophecy specifies 'when next he returns home.' The oracle said that he will return to his beloved Dwarven homeland posthumously. Assuming the oracle is right, which I think is probably a safe bet, Durkon will return home and fulfill his part of the prophecy, after he dies.

Kish
2008-02-16, 08:11 AM
[b]
Has the MitD ensured the continued (so far) survival of Durkon's friends and family?

No. The prophecy would have taken the creature's actions into account, so Durkon's return whenever he actually returns will bring death and destruction to his homeland. His hypothetical return at any time he doesn't actually return is not prophesied to be dangerous.

Forealms
2008-02-16, 10:49 AM
No. The prophecy would have taken the creature's actions into account, so Durkon's return whenever he actually returns will bring death and destruction to his homeland. His hypothetical return at any time he doesn't actually return is not prophesied to be dangerous.

I mean plot/comic-wise. I think that he has at least confirmed to us that we should not expect the prophecy to come true until the very end.

Grey Watcher
2008-02-16, 11:33 AM
I think between that, and the Oracle's predicition that Girard's Gate is, apparently, Xykon's next target, it's mostly just confirming that Kraagor's Gate appears to be the best bet for the final showdown between Xykon, Redcloack, the Linear Guild, the Sapphire Guard, the Order of the Stick, and whoever else chooses to stick their nose in by that point.

Souju
2008-02-16, 11:59 AM
I think between that, and the Oracle's predicition that Girard's Gate is, apparently, Xykon's next target, it's mostly just confirming that Kraagor's Gate appears to be the best bet for the final showdown between Xykon, Redcloack, the Linear Guild, the Sapphire Guard, the Order of the Stick, and whoever else chooses to stick their nose in by that point.

plus it helps that serini just crammed the dungeon full of monsters instead of putting complex traps