PDA

View Full Version : prestige class after just 1st level

hawkboy772042
2008-02-16, 03:23 AM
According to the ranger variant ( http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger ), a human can qualify for the Master of Many Forms Prestige Class at merely 1st level by having wild shape ability and needing only 2 feats. While I don't think that this unbalancing considering the prestige class itself, I do find it amusing.

Maxymiuk
2008-02-16, 03:27 AM
Actually...

These variants simply swap one or more of that class's features for one or more class features of another class. A class feature gained works just as it did for its original class, including the level at which it is gained and any other effects, except as noted below.

Emphasis mine. The variant ranger would gain Wild Shape at level 5, as a core druid would.

Xefas
2008-02-16, 03:28 AM
The variant gets Wild Shape "as a druid". That means they get it at 5th level, just like a Druid. So, you still need to wait until 6th like everyone else.

ZekeArgo
2008-02-16, 03:59 AM
However, a human or strongheart halfling fighter could easily qualify for the 3.0 "Forsaker" PrC from Masters of the Wild after only a single level.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-02-16, 05:08 AM
However, a human or strongheart halfling fighter could easily qualify for the 3.0 "Forsaker" PrC from Masters of the Wild after only a single level.

Nope, not possible, none of the prerequisite feats are fighter bonus feats, so even a human fighter has to wait to level 4.

It's amazing how many people make this mistake.

Zincorium
2008-02-16, 05:24 AM
Nope, not possible, none of the prerequisite feats are fighter bonus feats, so even a human fighter has to wait to level 4.

It's amazing how many people make this mistake.

Er, they'd have to wait until 3. Which is when people get their bonus feat.

Add flaws into the equation and it becomes possible for any character to take it.

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-02-16, 05:33 AM
Er, they'd have to wait until 3. Which is when people get their bonus feat.

Add flaws into the equation and it becomes possible for any character to take it.

They get the last feat they need on the third level and get the forsaker PRC at fourth level, choosing a class is the first step of character advancement, right?

Edit:

Prestige classes offer a new form of multiclassing. Unlike the basic classes, characters must meet Requirements before they can take their first level of a prestige class. The rules for level advancement apply to this system, meaning the first step of advancement is always choosing a class. If a character does not meet the Requirements for a prestige class before that first step, that character cannot take the first level of that prestige class. Taking a prestige class does not incur the experience point penalties normally associated with multiclassing.

Zincorium
2008-02-16, 06:22 AM
They get the last feat they need on the third level and get the forsaker PRC at fourth level, choosing a class is the first step of character advancement, right?

I understand the rules, we're miscommunicating on what was being waited for I think. I thought you were saying they had to wait until fourth for the required feat, when you meant that's when they could take the prestige class.

You're right, and so was I. Just on different things. And neither of us clarified very well.

Meloku
2008-02-16, 07:27 AM
A commoner (of any race) can qualify for the Survivor PRC at level 1, and enter at level 2 (Well, hey, no BAB, but three good saves and some stuff like DR. They're not expected to be in combat anyway, methinks)

Tengu
2008-02-16, 07:38 AM
True, pity though that Survivor is completely useless.

Because it has no party role and sucks at surviving. Not because you stop qualifying for it after taking several levels, an argument you'd expect a RAWtard to say.

playswithfire
2008-02-16, 09:56 AM
A human or stronheart halfling Invisible Eye variant monk can get in to forsaker at level 3, since they get Lightning Reflexes as their level 2 bonus feat.

Or, if you use the generic classes, a Human/SH halfling warrior can get in at 2 and an anything warrior can get in at 3

Reinboom
2008-02-16, 10:04 AM
A divine minion template will grab you your master of many forms right after ECL 2. (1 for the template, and 1 for the first class)

Of course, that's just cheesy.

Zincorium
2008-02-16, 10:12 AM
A divine minion template will grab you your master of many forms right after ECL 2. (1 for the template, and 1 for the first class)

Of course, that's just cheesy.

Just checked that, actually, and here's why it doesn't work:

Divine Minion gives wildshape as part of a race.

Master of many forms specifically requires wildshape as a class feature.

Don't get me wrong, it's a good idea, and I looked it up as soon as this thread appeared to see if it could be done. But the specifics deny it actually working.

On a side note, Divine Minion is the original source of much of the *not named to avoid ending thread here* trick involving a kobold and a psicrystal. So it's not exactly balanced even if it doesn't provide master of many forms at 2nd level.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-02-16, 10:14 AM
True, pity though that Survivor is completely useless.

Compared to Commoner?

The Glyphstone
2008-02-16, 10:31 AM
Commoner is an NPC base class, it's EXPECTED to be useless.:smallwink: A PrC, any PrC, on the other hand, should have some redeeming feature...unfortunately, a Commoner who PrC's into survivor has basically gaining nothing, and has just become a magnet for Bad Things on the grounds that he took class levels in something other than Commoner.

The Glyphstone
2008-02-16, 10:43 AM
Commoner is an NPC base class, it's EXPECTED to be useless.:smallwink: A PrC, any PrC, on the other hand, should have some redeeming feature...unfortunately, a Commoner who PrC's into survivor has basically gaining nothing, and has just become a magnet for Bad Things on the grounds that he took class levels in something other than Commoner.

Keld Denar
2008-02-16, 11:49 AM
Can't you enter Stoneblessed (Races of Stone) after just 1 level? Scratch that, you need 5 ranks in Craft:Stoneworking. So you could take Stoneblessed at level 3. Still earlier than most PRCs.

NEO|Phyte
2008-02-16, 12:26 PM
On a side note, Divine Minion is the original source of much of the *not named to avoid ending thread here* trick involving a kobold and a psicrystal. So it's not exactly balanced even if it doesn't provide master of many forms at 2nd level.

Actually, the ORIGINAL source was a Psion (Egoist) 11 (actual level may be off, its been a while since I've looked at the thread). Hence the psicrystal.