PDA

View Full Version : I don't care how good of an actor Day-Lewis is.

Cybren
2008-02-16, 03:14 PM
Your movie still needs to have a plot.

warty goblin
2008-02-16, 03:58 PM
...this is about what exactly?

Jibar
2008-02-16, 04:05 PM
My guess?
He bought Superman Returns on DVD.
I don't like you Superman.
Or, he saw Die Hard 4.0.

RTGoodman
2008-02-16, 04:38 PM
But it's cool - in the movie version of The Crucible, he looks enough like Viggo Mortensen to make it awesome. Just ignore anything his character says and replace it with "Let us hunt some orc!" or whatnot.

That's how I got through the movie when we watched it in English back in high school. :smallwink:

Indurain
2008-02-19, 03:48 AM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Daniel Day-Lewis (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000358/), and his role in There Will Be Blood. (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/)

Since I've been meaning to write something for these boards on TWBB, I figure I'll do it here.

It's a great movie, and I didn't even get half of it. Now, this is not the movie for your average movie goer who just wants to be entertained, but if you're looking for a movie that will challenge you, the way you think, and the way you look at others, than TWBB is probably the best movie this year.

Am I prejudice? Yeah. P.T. Anderson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000759/)is by far my favourite director, and TWBB just further cements that. Sure it's not hard to direct Day-Lewis to a great performance, but what PT gets out of Paul Dano, is incredible. Not to mention the story, shots, and just about everything that goes into making a movie.

As to the OP's claim that the movie lacks plot, I would whole-heartedly disagree. TWBB is an emotional rollercoaster (did I just use that phrase? You bet I did!), from start to finish. Telling the story of Daniel Plainview and his "son" (don't worry, that's not a spoiler) as they drill for oil in the early 20th century midwest. Things don't go exactly as planned however and soon Daniel finds himself in a battle of persuasion with the town's minister Eli Sunday. From there the two men lie, cheat, and steal their way through the film, until the film's unexpected and jarring ending.

I cannot recommend this movie enough, though as I said earlier, this is not light popcorn fare. If you want that, go see 27 Dresses. But if you honestly want to be challenged as a viewer and as a human, this is the right movie. (Make sure you go to the bathroom first though, as it rings in at a daunting 158 minutes.)

Nebo_
2008-02-19, 08:54 AM
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Daniel Day-Lewis, and his role in There Will Be Blood.

Since I've been meaning to write something for these boards on TWBB, I figure I'll do it here.

It's a great movie, and I didn't even get half of it. Now, this is not the movie for your average movie goer who just wants to be entertained, but if you're looking for a movie that will challenge you, the way you think, and the way you look at others, than TWBB is probably the best movie this year.

Am I prejudice? Yeah. P.T. Anderson is by far my favourite director, and TWBB just further cements that. Sure it's not hard to direct Day-Lewis to a great performance, but what PT gets out of Paul Dano, is incredible. Not to mention the story, shots, and just about everything that goes into making a movie.

As to the OP's claim that the movie lacks plot, I would whole-heartedly disagree. TWBB is an emotional rollercoaster (did I just use that phrase? You bet I did!), from start to finish. Telling the story of Daniel Plainview and his "son" (don't worry, that's not a spoiler) as they drill for oil in the early 20th century midwest. Things don't go exactly as planned however and soon Daniel finds himself in a battle of persuasion with the town's minister Eli Sunday. From there the two men lie, cheat, and steal their way through the film, until the film's unexpected and jarring ending.

I cannot recommend this movie enough, though as I said earlier, this is not light popcorn fare. If you want that, go see 27 Dresses. But if you honestly want to be challenged as a viewer and as a human, this is the right movie. (Make sure you go to the bathroom first though, as it rings in at a daunting 158 minutes.)

I can't disagree more. The movie was simply awful in every aspect except for the acting. There was hardly a scene that had anything to do with the one preceding or following. The score sounded as if someone was beating a cat with a drum kit and it came in at the most inappropriate times. *DUN DUN DUN* DIGGING A HOLE!

Rare Pink Leech
2008-02-19, 08:06 PM
I can't disagree more. The movie was simply awful in every aspect except for the acting. There was hardly a scene that had anything to do with the one preceding or following. The score sounded as if someone was beating a cat with a drum kit and it came in at the most inappropriate times. *DUN DUN DUN* DIGGING A HOLE!

I can't disagree more :smalltongue: I recognize that There Will Be Blood isn't for everyone, which it obviously wasn't for you. I thought it was an amazing movie.

I agree completely with Indurain. I definitely need to watch it again - there were parts where I knew right away that I'll need to see again to understand more, much like good literature. I do slight disagree that this is the most challenging, thought-provoking film of the year - at the very least it's tied with No Country For Old Men.

Oh, and if anyone's interested in seeing it, be prepared for a long movie. If you don't like long movies, then forget about it. I loved There Will Be Blood, but even I was getting a bit antsy for it to end.

Jerthanis
2008-02-19, 09:55 PM
But it's cool - in the movie version of The Crucible, he looks enough like Viggo Mortensen to make it awesome. Just ignore anything his character says and replace it with "Let us hunt some orc!" or whatnot.

That's how I got through the movie when we watched it in English back in high school. :smallwink:

Wait, you mean that wasn't a slightly younger Viggo Mortensen? Wow, I thought it really was Aragorn.

Indurain
2008-02-20, 02:53 AM
I do slight disagree that this is the most challenging, thought-provoking film of the year - at the very least it's tied with No Country For Old Men.

I have yet to see NCFOM, but it's next on my list. Then Michael Clayton. And then I'll at least have the Best Picture noms under my belt.