PDA

View Full Version : Duskblade + Metamagic feats

Kazuel
2008-02-16, 04:21 PM
Can you use arcane channeling on spells that have been metamagiced? I thought that a spontanious casters required more time to cast those spells and arcane channeling says standard action. Tell me how it works before I waste a feat. Thanks

deadseashoals
2008-02-16, 04:41 PM
You need another feat to reduce the casting time of spontaneously applied metamagic before you can channel, either Accelerate Metamagic or Rapid Metamagic.

RTGoodman
2008-02-16, 04:43 PM
Or take the Sudden Metamagic feats. I don't remember where they're from, but I think a lot of duskblades in examples have them. Though, of course, this is probably the only case in which they're decent.

TheThan
2008-02-16, 06:14 PM
The sudden metamagic feats are a trap. They require you to invest heavily in normal metamagic feats, which you can’t even use. Particularly the really good ones like sudden spell. There is a way of getting metamagic feats onto a spontaneous caster like a duskblade.
You have to pick up the arcane preparation feat from complete arcane. That feat turns your spontaneous spells into prepared spells. That lets you qualify for the standard metamagic feats. Which are better (as in easier to qualify for, and does not require as many perquisites). The only problem is that you are no longer a spontaneous caster.

Miles Invictus
2008-02-16, 08:12 PM
Related question: can a spontaneous caster learn metamagic versions of spells?

For example, a sorcerer learns Extended Mage Armor as a 2nd-level spell. He can't cast regular Mage Armor, but he can cast the Extended version without increased casting time.

tyckspoon
2008-02-16, 10:42 PM

For example, a sorcerer learns Extended Mage Armor as a 2nd-level spell. He can't cast regular Mage Armor, but he can cast the Extended version without increased casting time.

Only if your DM lets you. Metamagic versions of spells do not exist* as separate entities within the normal rules.

*exceptions being Chain Whatevers, which *used* to be separate spells but are now apparently just metamagic Chained spells that were popular enough for somebody to write them down as new spells.. I recommend ignoring that for the sake of everybody's sanity.

The White Knight
2008-02-17, 12:52 AM

The one problem I see with this is the issue of saving throws.

A metamagicked spell is still a lower level spell for most intents and purposes, including saves -- once you make it an independent spell, you have to add an extra clause regarding saving throws (making it lower by x amount) in order to make it truly equal... unless one wanted to argue that making a new metamagic offshoot of a spell is specific enough to warrant a boost in saving throws for a spontaneous caster, which may or may not be the case.

Aquillion
2008-02-17, 01:42 AM
There is a way of getting metamagic feats onto a spontaneous caster like a duskblade.
You have to pick up the arcane preparation feat from complete arcane. That feat turns your spontaneous spells into prepared spells. That lets you qualify for the standard metamagic feats. Which are better (as in easier to qualify for, and does not require as many perquisites). The only problem is that you are no longer a spontaneous caster.Arcane Preparation gives you the option of preparing spells using some of your spells-per-day. You can, say, prepare one maximized fireball, and use the rest of your spell slots spontaneously like usual.

...which might've been what you meant, but it was a bit confusing, especially the "no longer a spontaneous caster" bit. You aren't when you use metamagic that way, no, but you can still spontaneously cast your non-metamagic spells using your remaining slots.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-17, 03:48 AM
Your best bet is probably Arcane Preparation or the Rapid Metamagic feat (which requires a fairly high level, however).

There's also the Recaster PrC, which gives a ton of metamagic-related abilities including the ability to apply some of your known metamagics without increasing casting times...but it eats into your BAB and spell levels, and requres you to be a Changeling, which may not even be an option for you. Much simpler to just be a human for the extra feat and take one of the above.