PDA

View Full Version : The Eldritch Skirmisher (PrC) [PEACH]

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-16, 04:49 PM
The Eldritch Skirmisher
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+0|+2|+2|True Eldritch weapon I, Chaos armor, Eldritch weapon +1

2nd|+2|+0|+3|+3|Eldritch Blast +1d8, Skirmish (+1d6, +0 AC)

3rd|+3|+1|+3|+3|Chaotic Eldritch Attack, Eldritch weapon +2

4th|+4|+1|+4|+4|Eldritch Blast +2d8, Skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC)

5th|+5|+1|+4|+4|True Eldritch Weapon II, Eldritch weapon +3

6th|+6|+2|+5|+5|Eldritch Blast +3d8, Skirmish (+2d6, +1 AC)

7th|+7|+2|+5|+5|Skirmish Power, Eldritch weapon +4

8th|+8|+2|+6|+6|Eldritch Blast +4d8, Skirmish (+2d6, +2 AC)

9th|+9|+3|+6|+6|Eldritch Power, Eldritch weapon +5

10th|+10|+3|+7|+7|Eldritch Blast +5d8, Skirmish (+3d6, +2 AC)

[/table]

Requirements:
BAB +4
Skirmish +1d6, +1 AC.
Eldritch Blast +2d6.
Feats: Point blank shot, precise shot, weapon focus (Eldritch Blast).

Alignment: Any Chaotic
Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
As Scout+Warlock

Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier

Skirmish: As the scout class in CAd.

Eldritch Blast: As the Warlock Class in CAr.

True Eldritch weapon I: An Eldritch Skirmisher treats an Eldritch Blast as a Longbow for most purposes, including Feats (so an Eldritch Skirmisher may take rapid shot & use it with Eldritch Blast), damage dice size (so the die size becomes +Xd8 rather than +Xd6), but not for Full attacking, so an Eldritch Skirmisher may not Full attack with Eldritch Blast. However, the Eldritch Blast is still a ranged touch attack.

True Eldritch weapon II: As True Eldritch Weapon I, but you may full attack with Eldritch Blast.

Eldritch Weapon: At the given levels, An Eldritch Skirmisher treats the Eldritch Blast as if it was an Enhanced weapon of the above strength.

Chaos Armor: An Eldritch Skirmisher adds his/her Charisma bonus to their armor-class as eldritch power, and adds half of their class level to the bonus also (rounded up).

Chaotic Eldritch attack: An eldritch Skirmisher may add his/her Chaos Armor bonus to his/her attack rolls with Eldritch Blast.

Skirmish Power: at the given levels, an Eldritch Skirmisher can attack any creature with his/her skirmish, including creatures immune to precision damage, as long as (s)he moves 10 ft in the round, but only with Eldritch Blast, dealing the same damage as (s)he would normally. In order to do so,

Eldritch Power At 10th level, an Eldritch Skirmisher gains a least Invocation, which makes the Eldritch Skirmisher's 5 ft step instead move 10 feet in a round as a free action, as long as (s)he uses the time given to full attack with Eldritch Blast. It lasts 1 minute. However, after using, the Eldritch Skirmisher must then wait 10-Chr Mod rounds.
===============================================

so, what does the playground think?

Edit: Made Drastic Changes
Edit Edit: made a little more balanced
Edit Edit Edit: Is this Better?

dyslexicfaser
2008-02-16, 04:54 PM
A good idea, but it might be a little too powerful - I'd recommend taking out at least one caster level - at level 1 and again at 10, perhaps.

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-16, 06:33 PM
Ok, I made some differences in it, now what does the playground think?

Stycotl
2008-02-17, 01:48 AM
way too powerful in my opinion. chaos armor is going to add +18 +/- to their armor class by the time they're done with the class, which can be before 20th level. then, if i am understanding the mechanic (it is written somewhat vaguely) you add that same number to an attack, but not just any attack, a touch attack! unless your bow&arrow mechanic is different than both eldritch glaive and horrendous blow (i forget the name), which both still count as a touch attack.

then, and this one is not too powerful in and of itself, but with everything else is over the top, you add some +10-foot move whose only purpose is to enable a skirmish. one: it's unclear, vague, and mechanically lacking. two: with all of the gianormous bonuses he's just received, i think it is overdoing it. come up with a concrete mechanic, give a reasonable explanation of why it works, cut down the bonuses from earlier levels, and this capstone would be very appropriate.

aaron out.

Stycotl
2008-02-17, 01:51 AM
also kind of a one-trick (though made of two tricks) poney. can skirmish/eblast with large bonuses, but can't do anything else. and i am not sure that the full bab progression fits with either class, or with both together. you would have to convince me on this, though i admit that it is an opinion about a flavor issue, nothing more.

SmileyX
2008-02-17, 02:27 AM
To fit with the two classes its based off of i would reduce BAB to 3/4, reduce skill points to 6+int to reflect how warlocks dont have many, also that Eldritch blast progression is confusing, i would just put it in the same format as the Warlock. You should clarify what Eldritch weapon does exactly, im assuming right now that it treats them directly as a bow, meaning the attacks are now normal. Chaos Eldritch attack is a bit much, they may lose the touch attack for using a bow, but additional attacks will hopefully make up for it. You might want to replace Chaos Armor with something based off of Divine Grace. Also try clarifying Skirmish Power a bit better, im guessing it allows them to deal Skirmish damage to monsters that are immune Precision Damage while using this new form of Eldritch Blast, but i found the wording a bit weird. And i love Eldritch Power :smallbiggrin: i love any way to take 10ft. steps, i would love to play a gestalt character based around this and rogue on the other side lol.

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-17, 10:53 AM
Ok, I must make some points.
I have got rid of the Invocation abilities, and have made some changes to many abilities, what do you think now?

@Stycotl: I lowered the skill points, but I refuse to cut the BAB. This class is supposed to be sort-of more of an awesome archer class, and it needs BAB. No other Archer classes are very good, and I know I want a good one. also, I might actually change back the skills, because besides the ranged attacks, It can also be a skill monkey, because it is a scout/warlock, and the scout can trap-find.

@SmileyX: clarified many things, Thanks for the comments, I'm sorry I changed Eldritch Power.

Greyen
2008-02-17, 01:15 PM
I built a very similar in concept PrC to this one, posted as the Eldritch Hunter, and I apologize if that is stepping on your toes. I posted it before I saw your thread.

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-17, 02:49 PM
I built a very similar in concept PrC to this one, posted as the Eldritch Hunter, and I apologize if that is stepping on your toes. I posted it before I saw your thread.

Dude, the concept behind Homebrewing is looking at everyone else's work and making suggestions, so it is not a problem. read what I posted on yours for more info. What does everyone think on the balance now?

SurlySeraph
2008-02-17, 03:36 PM
True Eldritch Weapon is overpowered, especially for a first-level ability. Any Warlock would take a one-level dip in this class just for that. Eldritch Glaive is often considered an overpowered invocation - and it only lets you make full attacks with your Eldritch Blast within ten feet. Perhaps you should make Eldritch Glaive a requirement, or give Eldritch Glaive at first level and then give True Eldritch Weapon at 5th level. Another way to do it would be to gain Eldritch Glaive at first level, be able to treat Eldritch Blast as a bow for all purposes EXCEPT making full attacks at 5th, and be able to make full attacks with Eldritch Blast at 7th.

Please clarify the wording on Skirmish Power. I assume you mean that it lets you deal the bonus damage from Skirmish to creatures that are normally immune, like undead and constructs? If so, it's a pretty strong ability. It might be better to give them the option of choosing a sort of blast shape that lets them get Skirmish damage against normally immune enemies.

Chaotic Eldritch Attack needs better wording. Do you add the armor bonus to your Eldritch Blast's attack, damage, or both? Either way, it's kinda redundant with the Eldritch Weapon bonuses. If it doesn't stack with them then it's useless; if it does the class basically gets a +10 weapon, which you can't even normally have before epic levels, for free.

It's kind of awkward to figure out when Eldritch Power can be re-used, and it's a bit to random. Making it usable once or twice per encounter would work better. Making it usable once every 10 rounds would also work.

Since no one has lectured you about it yet, do be aware that prestige classes are usually 10, 5, or 3 levels. If you want to cut this down to a 10-level prestige class and make it more balanced, I'd remove the 3rd, 11th, and 13th levels, remove Eldritch Weapon, have it gain Eldritch Power at 10th level, and split True Eldritch Weapon between levels 1, 5, and 7 like I suggested above.

togapika
2008-02-17, 03:43 PM
Full BAB, two good saves along with a host of other powers???
First off, why give them evasion and improved evasion? Both are a rogueish trick and don't fit that well with archers.
I also agree that the ability to full attack with eldritch blast at first level is VERY powerful.
Perhaps have them treat the eldritch blast as a bow for feats at first level then build on that.
It's an interesting concept, but seems to much like a ZOMG Warlock!!! class.

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-17, 04:29 PM
okay, I cut it down to 10 levels, removed eva & imp eva, split up TEW yo two levels, and upped the damage on Eldritch Blast. Is it balanced now. Just for other people, you would have to take 3 other levels in order to gain levels in this class that aren't progressing your EB & Invocations.

Greyen
2008-02-18, 02:26 AM
You will want to fix the "At 13th level" bit under Eldritch Poer as it is now a 10level class. other than that looks good. Makes a nice blaster.

The way I figure it , with level 20 basic build.

Warlock 5/Scout 5/ Eldritch Skirmisher 10

So a single EB attack after moving 10 ft. is
With a Dex 10 +16 Ranged Touch

5d6+7d8 and +3 AC

Moving 20 feet with Improved Skirmish, Greater Chausible of Fell Power,

7d6 + 9d8 and +5 AC every round - Averaged out that's is 65 damage/round all day every day.

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-18, 09:08 PM
Here's an actual standard guy w/o magic items(I need a better name). Just to see the balance.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob
CR 20
Male halfling Warlock 7/scout 3/Eldritch Skirmisher 10/
CN Small Huminoid
Init +7
Senses Listen +__, Spot +__
Languages Common, Halfling, two others
Base Atk +17/ +12/ +7/ +2
Attack Options Skirmish (+4d6, +3 AC) Rapid Shot, Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot
Feats Point Blank shot, Precise shot, rapid shot, Weapon focus (Eldritch Blast/Ranged Spell), Maximize Sp L Ab. (Eldritch Blast), Practiced Spell Caster, Ranged Spell Specialization
Skills Don't Care Right Now, total of 168 points, high UMD, Hide, MS,
Possessions Chain Shirt (+4 AC), Heavy Crossbow, Short sword