PDA

View Full Version : Halfling treasure hunter dressed like Indiana Jones.

EMU
2008-02-16, 09:21 PM
Hey i hope you all can help me and give me a few ideas for my upcomming rogue charater.

First like me tell you what i had in mind.
A Halfling, dressed like indiana jones, wielding a whip and a hand crossbow (x-bow could be swarped for a sling).
I think rogue should be the rogue class, but using UA's rules for swarping out sneak attack for fighter feats.
His mentality should be good and weak willed, i will not set points in sence motive and he value thinks for what he needs now and what he finds interesting and not by the saids items actual value.
He is a goody-in-two-shooe who beleaves allmost anything what he is told, and will trust anyone who look kind.

I probarly want to proceed into the dungon delver for fluff, i want him to be a skill monkey first and a fighter second.
Ohh allso he can find a pretty (worthless) stone whit a funny shape and put it into his bag, if there is no room in his bag, he will trow out what he does not fancy at the moment, that could be the dead rat, some pappers/scrolls/etc or even some othere stone of real value (diamond etc.).

The stats of the charater can be anything (in the range of 3 - 18+raceial), we usaly have kinda high stats, but is free to pick what we think shouets the charater best.
i was think somting like str, 20 dex, 16 con, 14 int, 10 wis, 12 cha.

And of feats i had in mind was, Tactile Trapsmith from PHB2, and the whip to grapling hook feat (sorry i forgots its name, its in my dm's book)

This charater will starts from level 1 and i want him to fit my concept from the start and when the levels slowly is rolling in, i will speciallize in the art if treasure hunthing (for the thrill, not the the treasure).

I hope you can give me some ideas what i should look for, you dont have to give me a compleate build level by level, just some pointers and or ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Emu :)

Mewtarthio
2008-02-16, 09:34 PM
I hear Complete Scoundrel (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=5) is good for that. At the very least, you'll probably be interested in the "Whip Climber" skill trick.

EMU
2008-02-16, 10:24 PM
Ah, yes... Complete Scoundrel, thats the book he has, i remembered it as a feat, but it could very well be a skill trick, i have to check that tomorow.

But yeah, its a book i never relly have look much into, most of the stuff printed was very confusing, at least the few minutes i looked at it.

Ascension
2008-02-17, 12:23 AM
Yeah, whip climber is a skill trick, which is good for you, since even with fighter feats you'll have more skill points than feats. I like the concept. He should use a hat of disguise to give him Harrison Ford's face.

EMU
2008-02-17, 12:39 AM
Haha, yeah... and a quirk... compulsive humming (indiana jones theme song).

Any ideas of a way i could meake him semi useful in combat (maybe somekind of tripper).

mikeejimbo
2008-02-17, 01:29 AM
Use your fighter bonus feats for tripping feats, and remember that the whip is a good weapon for tripping. Also, does weapon finesse work for whips, or is a whip already treated like a ranged weapon? If weapon finesse does apply to whips, be sure to pick that up to make use of what your good Dex.

EMU
2008-02-17, 02:07 AM
Sounds cool, very indiana jones like, i have to look up if i can somehow disarm with a whip allso... that could indeed be very cool.

You say trip feats... the only one i can think of is improved trip from PHB, whits is indeed a very good feat... but is there a way i can make it so i use my dex for the triping action (not the attack) sorry if i dont make any sense.
You know you have to make a to-hit whit the whip, and then make a str contest against his dex or str to make him fall.

If i am a small race and have low str, is there any chance i will ever trip anyone?

There was a prc long time ago, in the fighter splat book (was it sword and fist 3.0?) named lasher or somthing, who was a specilized whip user, is there anything like that in 3.5 material?

Thamir
2008-02-17, 02:24 AM
I hear Complete Scoundrel (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070105a&page=5) is good for that. At the very least, you'll probably be interested in the "Whip Climber" skill trick.

Yes take uncanny trickster or perhaps extreme explorer from eberron?

Ashes
2008-02-17, 07:16 AM
I made a pretty awesome Indiana Jones character once. He was human, and had Rogue, Ranger, Fighter and Extreme Explorer (Eberron) levels. Of course, my group doesn't bother with XP penalties, so that made it a bit easier, but he was actually really effective. I used action points left and right, which is pretty necessary if you want to do all the cool stuff that makes him Indiana Jones'y.

If you're interested, I could dig him out and make a writeup.

EMU
2008-02-17, 08:14 AM
Seems like you focused more on the fighting part on mr jones... that could be fun indeed.

But i need to be a skill monkey, and be able to remove traps / open locks effecintly.
That action points, is that a unike ebberon thing? We have allways played in the realms or in mystar.
If you should just point out his key features and so on it sould be cool, but its not somthing i want you to have to much trouble over.

The idea of this thread is mostly to jam some ideas on what and how i can make a fun charater to play :)

Fenix_of_Doom
2008-02-17, 08:23 AM
But i need to be a skill monkey, and be able to remove traps / open locks effecintly.

And knowledge history maxed out, it's not Indiana Jones without knowledge history maxed out.

EMU
2008-02-17, 08:36 AM
Indeed, Bard allso comes into my mind quite alot, but i dont fancy him as a spell caster.

Maybe a few levels of it might not hurt, it allso a way to get the whip profency.

Sornas
2008-02-17, 10:23 AM
There was a prc long time ago, in the fighter splat book (was it sword and fist 3.0?) named lasher or somthing, who was a specilized whip user, is there anything like that in 3.5 material?

Lasher never got updated, sadly, but you may be able to talk your DM into letting you use it anyway. If I remember correctly, it isn't game-breaking or anything. Oh, and you can disarm with a whip, in fact, you get a +2 to it. ^^

As for the character, I personally have always been a fan of the Factotum for these sorts of characters. ^_^

Mewtarthio
2008-02-17, 01:38 PM
That action points, is that a unike ebberon thing? We have allways played in the realms or in mystar.

I'm not sure if the Eberron rules are any different, but you can look at the UA rules (http://http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/adventuring/actionPoints.htm).

kjones
2008-02-17, 01:40 PM
Weapon Finesse is a feat that allows you to use your Dex bonus to hit rather than your Strength bonus for light melee weapons, but I believe Whip is specifically included among things you can use it for.

Unfortunately, it has a prerequisite of +1 BAB, which means you can't take it as a first-level rogue... see if you can get your DM to houserule that prerequisite away. I usually do, since it's the classes that need it the most that don't have +1 BAB at first level.

EMU
2008-02-17, 04:33 PM
I found a site listeing the Factotum abilitys, it does indeed sounds very cool, and i book i must own i see :)

Is there anything that this class cant do? that indiana jones can?

If i use that as a class, take whip profency (i am sure my dm will let me do that) and disarm and trip as feats as i get some levels. he could indeed be a fun guy to have around.

there is nothing bad in taking all 20 levels in it, is there? maybe i should mix it whit one core class or on prc, but i am not sure.

this charater whit a few skill tricks sould be so much fun to play... i think i will play alittle whit him tonight :)

*humming the theme song for indiana jones*