PDA

View Full Version : Elementry my dear Watson...[Feats]

Unscrewed
2008-02-16, 11:27 PM
Master Detective
By picking out specific details, you can infer what happened in an area and deduct a person's recent actions
Prerequisites: Spot 9 ranks, Search 9 ranks
Benefits: You can make a special Search check in a 20 by 20 foot area. It takes five minutes, and the check is DC 20. If the check is successful, you get a general idea of what happened there (Fighting, negotiations, dice, cards,) in the last 2 hours + 1 hour for every 5 points you beat the DC. You also get a specific idea of what happened up to 5 minutes ago + 1 minute for every 5 points you beat the DC by. For example, if you Search an area where several people had been gambling, you learn what game they were playing, what race each player was, who won, and who argued with who.

In addition, you can make a DC 20 spot check when you meet a person. If you succeed, you learn what they had been doing in the past 5 minutes +1 minute for every 5 points you beat the DC.
Normal: You cannot imitate Sherlock Holmes.

Psychoanalyst
By observing a person's habits and gestures, you can gain insights into their personality.
Prerequisites: Sense Motive 9 ranks.
Benefits: By observing a humanoid for 1 minutes uninterrupted, you can make a Sense Motive check to deduct aspects of their personality. If distracted, you must make a concentration check or lose focus and must start again (Treat use of this feat as a 0 level spell for purposes of interruption and concentration checks) . How much you learn is based on how high your check is.
DC 15: You learn the target's alignment (LG, NG, etc.)
DC 20: You learn of any prejudices the target might have
DC 25: You learn the target's worst mental flaw (greedy, lazy, etc.)
DC 30: You learn if the target has any ranks in Bluff or Sense Motive.
DC 35: You learn the target's greatest desire.
DC 40: You learn the target's greatest fear.
Add the target's bluff modifier to the above DC's.
Normal: You can't use Sense motive to do any of the above.

Stycotl
2008-02-16, 11:57 PM
very slick. nice feats. i like 'em.

psychoanalyst seems a little hard to achieve, as you would be trying to divine info that is occasionally going to be hidden by mundane or magical means. plus, many psychoanalytic concepts are pretty far out there. i don't know that i would give too many specifics. i would probably give the player a more detailed account of how the npc is acting, what their motive seems to be, and what might drive them, but i would let the player try to decipher the in-betweens. the only problem with this is that then it makes the feat worthless. i think i like the idea of these as possible effects of a successful skill roll more than a feat, but that is just me.

anyway, nice. especially since this is a roleplay vs. rollplay motivation.

Sir Shadow
2008-02-16, 11:57 PM
Instant win.

Reptilius
2008-02-16, 11:59 PM

Nice. :smallamused:

Benefits: By observing a humanoid for 1 minutes interrupted, you can make a Sense Motive check to deduct aspects of their personality.

Do you mean uninterrupted? What constitutes interruption? Looking away obviously, but can you make a Concentration check to stay focused?

I can't really tell the balance of these feats, but I do like them.

RTGoodman
2008-02-17, 12:10 AM
I personally think these seem fine, but there is one problem. You actually can deduce some of those things from Psychoanalyst as a normal function of Sense Motive - the problem is that it's an epic usage. See here (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/epicSkills.html#sense-motive).

Of course, I don't think those DCs for the epic version are really worth it for figuring out alignment. Seems like it would be easier than that, to me at least.

Cormac
2008-02-17, 11:31 AM
I would have the psychoanalyst feat go up against their bluff. it should be harder to a 10th level rogue with an 18 cha and maxed out bluff's alignment than it would be with a half orc commoner. Perhaps you could give more information by how much you beat their DCs (and perhaps you could get a static plus 1 bonus to sense motive to boost these dampening effects).

As far as it working against people who have magical effects that would hide alignment, i dont think that is a problem. if someone has such an effect but is cutting off the heads of physically disabled orphans, they are probably evil. Similarly, the mental ticks that would give away one's alignment will be going on whether or not they have magical protection.

Rowanomicon
2008-02-17, 11:52 AM
Love them.
Very, very nice.
Sir Arthur would be proud... if he played D&D... if it had existed...
Anyway, there must be other feats one can make from Sherlock's ability... I'll think on it.

Oh and, even thought I was beaten to the punch.

That is pure awesome and made me laugh.

Unscrewed
2008-02-17, 12:46 PM
Do you mean uninterrupted? What constitutes interruption? Looking away obviously, but can you make a Concentration check to stay focused?

Whoops. Good points. Fixing now.