PDA

View Full Version : PS3 games: experiences

Icewalker
2008-02-17, 01:03 AM
So, I've got a much unused so far PS3, and have recently messed around with a bunch of demos, and am wondering if anybody has any of the games and has an opinion on whether they are worthwhile.

I mainly play RPG/adventure or action type games, although arcade and puzzle games are good as well. No first person shooters in the suggestions.

No posts saying 'blah blah 360/Wii is better.' I have a Wii and don't want a 360.

I have downloaded the demos for and am considering:

Drake's Fortune: I read it is good, and it is quite impressive in graphics. The gameplay is alright, and seems like it may get repetitive, although I'm not sure. I've also heard that there is a great plot, although the demo doesn't have any.

Devil May Cry 4: I played DMC3 when I borrowed it from a friend, and it was a really fun game. DMC4 looks pretty good too. One minor issue I'm worried about is that the combos available will be too limited, because you only have one weapon, whereas in DMC3 you can switch between 2 weapons, which you pick from a pool of 5 at the start of each level. Are there more weapons found later in DMC4, or more moves or some such?

Bladestorm: Looks like a pretty cool game. Similar to Dynasty Warriors, but slightly more believable. The demo seems fun, and it seems like if you get bored you can always try a different type of squad.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam: By it's very idea it is somewhat ridiculous, although not necessarily in a bad way. I didn't get too much of an impression from the demo. Seems like it could be fun if the items and customization is good and there are enough characters.

Assassin's Creed: I didn't actually get the demo for this, but I've seen it played at a friends and heard many positive suggestions, with the only negative that it gets a little repetitive.

The only game I have on PS3 so far is Ratchet and Clank 5. Great series, although this newest one felt a little less interesting on multiple playthroughs. I think it is because most of the weapons became obsolete once you get a little ways into the game, so you don't have many options.

Also, Nucleus, a game you buy from the online store, is one I am going to get as soon as I have multiple controllers, as it is a good arcade style multiplayer.

Hermit
2008-02-17, 04:49 AM
Drake's Fortune is an excellent game. I love the combat and the jumping and climbing works near flawlessly in my opinion. The story is really good too, and is clearly heavily influenced by the Indiana Jones films. My one complaint with it would be that the puzzles you occasionally have to solve are far, far too easy.

Not got DMC4, though the demo was pretty good. Might wait til it drops in price myself as I'm never a huge fan of these sorts of games. As for combos I understand you can buy upgrades ala DMC3 (And also mix and match them mroe easily), and the rev button on your sword apparently works for some massive combos (There's a certain point in an attack where whacking the rev button powers it up and allows to you combo much mroe - did it a couple of times in the demo, but the timing is tough).

Bladestorm is an excellent game in my opinion. I don't think it's for eveyone but if you really liked the demo I'd recommend it.

Assassin's Creed was overall a good game. Not the best game, but good. The assassinations themselves are always great fun, but my main complaints are that some of the intel gathering missions become annoying and repetitive. Also in the PS3 version the extra side missions (Collecting all the intel on a target, and the flags that are around), don't really give you anything. The ending is also very infuriating, as the stealth element vanishes and it turns into a 2 hour slog through inescabable swordfight after inescapable swordfight. Might be worth a rent or borrowing off a mate, but I don't ever see myself playing it again.

Super Stardust HD is a brilliant arcade shooter off the online store. There should be a demo up and I'd recommend you try it.

the_tick_rules
2008-02-17, 02:39 PM
if you liked the baldur's gate for ps2 dark kingdoms you may enjoy. marvel ultimate alliance ain't bad either.

Daze
2008-02-18, 05:57 PM
Nice to see a fellow PS3 owner :)

You and I probably enjoy similar games (RPG's & adventure/action)... so here's some advice:

Oblivion
You may or may not have this on PC already, but the PS3 version is definitely worth it's salt. No console and no expanded official content (as of yet), Though it does have knights of the nine and shivering isles attached in the GOTY edition. Best RPG available for PS3 right now.

Assassins Creed
A great game! Some of the criticism is valid regarding repetition, but this never bothered me considering I'm someone who spends 8 hours at a clip levelling final fantasy characters, heh.
But that aside, the AMAZING graphics and fluid controls make for a great experience. As if assassinating people wasn't fun enough already. ;)
A must own in my opinion.

Folklore
Quirky & unique RPG. Beautiful graphics, in the best of JRPG traditions. Sucking the souls out of your defeated enemies just feels good. the gameplay is a bit different as there's 2 main characters who you can alternate with, that annoys some people as there's repetition involved.
There's a heavy online presence.. as far as official add-ons and dungeon modding. You can create your own, and play in other people's. Definitely neat to do after beating the main game (some 30-40 hours)... makes the replay value high.
Overall I recommend you buy this one too.

Future games...
FFXIII, MGS4 & GTAIV
Oh yeah! :)

RPG game selection isnt the greatest at this point, but we'll be there soon enough in the next year or so.

Icewalker
2008-02-18, 10:04 PM
Ratchet and Clank Future was awesome, I was always a huge fan of the series.

Not sure about Oblivion. Heard a lot about it. I know it is often played in FPS mode, which I can't do.

Looking forward to FFXIII, even though I've never really played any of the others except a bit of the first one. I'm looking forward to FFXIII vs. far more though...

From what I've heard, it is made by the same people who did Kingdom Hearts, and will have a similar gameplay style, which I like: great games. However I've also heard that they got really tired of making cutesy Disney character sporting games and FFXIII vs. is going to be really dark. So that sounds awesome.

Fable...somehow, before even starting to read the description, I knew the game you were talking about (not Fable, you got the name wrong) even though I haven't even looked into it. Went and found it somehow despite knowing almost nothing about it: Folklore. I don't know much about it, read one semi-negative review, and didn't really look into it. I'll go download the demo.

Daze
2008-02-20, 01:00 PM
Ratchet and Clank Future was awesome, I was always a huge fan of the series.

Not sure about Oblivion. Heard a lot about it. I know it is often played in FPS mode, which I can't do.

Looking forward to FFXIII, even though I've never really played any of the others except a bit of the first one. I'm looking forward to FFXIII vs. far more though...

From what I've heard, it is made by the same people who did Kingdom Hearts, and will have a similar gameplay style, which I like: great games. However I've also heard that they got really tired of making cutesy Disney character sporting games and FFXIII vs. is going to be really dark. So that sounds awesome.

Fable...somehow, before even starting to read the description, I knew the game you were talking about (not Fable, you got the name wrong) even though I haven't even looked into it. Went and found it somehow despite knowing almost nothing about it: Folklore. I don't know much about it, read one semi-negative review, and didn't really look into it. I'll go download the demo.

Whoops!!!! Sorry...

You're absolutely right, I meant Folklore, not fable. Will update my previous post.

And yes, it got middling reviews... but it was still a very good game and definitely next-gen.

As far as oblivion goes, you have the option of playing from a 1st or 3rd person perspective. SO if you absolutely hate 1st person you can definitely switch.

I'm not a FPS guy either (not since Doom anyways), but Oblivion even from that perspective doesn't at all feel like an FPS, so don't let that worry you. Trust me, if you want an RPG you can't go wrong with Elder Scrolls. Huge open world, tons of quests, guilds, dungeons, in depth character customization... definitely a must own.