PDA

View Full Version : Spellcasting Balance with a Homebrew System

F.H. Zebedee
2008-02-17, 02:15 AM
Now, here's gist of it:
I'm homebrewing a Bleach D20 Magic System. There are a few major changes.
-All characters get a +4 to all ability scores.
-Spell points are used, with the point value changed to make them have a bit more cost at high levels.
-Feats are stronger, somewhere along the lines of weak class abilities, usually.
-Classes are all generic, with chosen class skills and casting progressions that are inversely proportionate to melee ability. Even full BAB, D12 characters can have casting, and casters have d6 HD and a +5 weapon they're proficient in, so it's not a monopoly.
-Characters don't get magic items. Instead, they get a weapon that gradually grows to +5, and a class based AC bonus (like Dodge, applies to touch AC).
-All characters get Dimension Door (short distance) a limited ammount per day.
-Metamagic has been pared down, though not eliminated.

I'm setting spell save DCs at 10+1/2 Caster's Level+Connected Stat Bonus. Blasting and Binding (save or sucks) run off of Cha, while Healing and Utility casting get bonuses from Wis. Int-10 determines maximum base spell levels.
This means casters will be forced to specialize a bit, though it still allows them to be diverse.

Magic Will Be Able to:
-Blast: Direct damage.
-Bind: Save or sucks that place negative statuses on a target.
-Heal: Healing damage and negative statusese.
-Utility: Some weak divinations, marking items, etc.

Magic Will Not:
-Terraform/Change the terrain.
-Transform anything.
-Buff people (much)
-Dominate/Control others
-Summon monsters
-Hit multiple targets (except for Blaster casting, which hits multiple foes)

Did I terminate most sources of brokenness here? The Spell Level independent DC is to make lower level spells more appetizing, since I'm scaling back damage upgrades with level.