PDA

View Full Version : Very Cliche: Favourite Superhero

Ethrael
2008-02-17, 06:20 AM
Ok, here's the inevitable question: Who's one of your favourite superheroes and why?

Molly Hayes/Bruiser because she's so damn powerful and yet so cute. :smallsmile:

Logic
2008-02-17, 07:03 AM
Too many to count. Despite all listed are Marvel, many DC characters just barely were edged out.

Spider-Man: Favorite "everyman" hero.

Captain America: Favorite "Boy Scout" hero.

Moon Knight: Favorite "whack-job-that-belongs-in-a-straight-jacket" hero.

Punisher: Favorite "Anti-hero."

Attilargh
2008-02-17, 07:57 AM
Spidey, for all the wise-cracking. "Ah, good old hellfire. When regular fire just won't do..."

Also Victor Mancha. Gotta love how he takes his heritage in stride. He's also damn badass, with his magnetic powers and eidetic memory and all. Plus, he's got the best weak point ever.

Kaelaroth
2008-02-17, 11:44 AM
Oooooh... Karolina Dean and Xavin. Gotta love the cutest gay alien couple ever! Also, their power sets are incredible.

I also like Hulkling, Molly Hayes, Gert Yorkes, V, Dr. Manhattan, Penance, Hollow, Night Thrasher, Emma Frost, Kon-El, Raven, Zatanna, Ultimate Sue Storm... In fact, there are so many awesome super-heroes....

Tamburlaine
2008-02-17, 12:52 PM
^Isn't that the point of superheroes?

Personally, I've always thought that Cyclops was the best superhero, because he gets such good use out of one power.

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-17, 02:53 PM
Good to see the Spidey-love from my fellow forumers. He's probably my favorite, followed closely by Aaron Stack/Machine Man (Nextwave version).

Dihan
2008-02-17, 02:54 PM
I'm a fan of Iceman.

Dalenthas
2008-02-17, 03:59 PM
1. Iron Man.

--pause--

2. Ms. Marvel.
3. Captain America.

Cade
2008-02-17, 05:59 PM
Ash Williams. Try to say he isn't a superhero.

JabberwockySupafly
2008-02-18, 02:56 AM
Ash Williams. Try to say he isn't a superhero.

Hail to the king baby...

Anyways, back on topic, for superheroes, gonna have to go with Big Red & Horny himself... no, not John Holmes, Hellboy. I'd say he classifies as a superhero, just as people like Dr.Strange classify as a superhero. I like Hellboy because for intents, purposes, and prophecies he is meant to be Anung Un Rama, the unbinder of the Ogru Jahad, and the one destined to sear the Earth clean of all life so the reign of the Seven-Who-Are-One can be realised... BUT... well, he instead joins the good guys and goes about thoroughly stomping on the fingers in every hand(or in their case, tentacle)hold that the Ogru Jahad get in the mortal world.

If we're going more along the traditional lines of heroes, then I'd probably go with... hmmm... that's kind of tough. Does Swamp Thing count? If he does, then Moore's Swamp Thing is full of win, because he starts off as a standard "movie monster" character, and develops into one of the most fearsome defenders of Earth. If I can't choose him either, then I'll have to go with Batman. Why? Because he's Batman.I shouldn't have to explain it much more than that :D

JessSoccer
2008-02-18, 07:15 AM
Deadpool
Supergirl
Cappy > now esp. that he's Bucky

thats about it off the top of my head *nodnod*

RachelEvil
2008-02-18, 09:59 AM
Crazy Jane

Hzurr
2008-02-18, 10:28 AM
I'd say Daredevil as my first choice, followed closely by Batman.

After those two, there's a long list of "favorite 3rds." Nightcrawler, Capt. America, Thor, Robin/Nightwing, Spiderman, Molly Hayes, Kitty Pryde.

Fri
2008-02-18, 11:13 AM
Spidey, followed by Batman.

Do I need any reason at all? Though, I don't like people who said 'batman would win against anything with preparation.' He's actually just a badass-normal, and that is why I like him.

Jerthanis
2008-02-18, 06:56 PM
Probably Spider-Man followed closely by Cyclops. The first is self-evident, Spider-Man is just awesome. It's been proven with math. The second could be because I can somehow easily identify with a glasses wearing introvert with hangups about self-control. Don't ask me why that is :smallcool:

Third would probably be Superman. A good Marvel comic is heartstring-pulling drama and character study followed by a cool fight scene. A good Superman comic makes the reader believe that anything is possible. A good Superman story is magical.

feghoot
2008-02-18, 09:48 PM
Nightcrawler. He's such a cool character...
I really need to go get a new x-book.

HolderofSecrets
2008-02-19, 05:15 AM
My favorite Cliche Super hero is the Tick.

Ethrael
2008-02-20, 01:52 AM
@^: It's not meant to be your favourite cliche superhero, it's just the quesion was very cliche: it's kinda an obvious one.

I'd like to add to my post above :Storm, not the ultimate, nor the astonishing one, but the X-treme and Uncanny one: she's so smart, powerful and all-round really slick.

twerk_face
2008-02-20, 08:10 AM
I'd say Iron Man, before he went all pro registration on us. He's just such a pimp.

Obviously Spidey is just hilarious, and Wolvy is just b'dass.

So I don't really know...It's really hard to say here. I can't think of any more off the top of my head, sides like awsome x-men like iceman, beast, etc.

Miles Invictus
2008-02-20, 11:28 AM
Ash >> Ozymandias >> Batman.

I haven't seen any Tick or Deadpool, but I suspect they'd round out the top five.

Count D20
2008-02-20, 08:43 PM
Jenny Sparks/Quantum
for a more traditional super, Colossus .anywhere he shows up he is just so very honorable and noble

North
2008-02-20, 09:48 PM
Huge favorite is Invincible. Just an amazing real character.

For non-big names. I really like Cannonball and Iceman. Bruiser/Princess Powerful is pure win of course :smallbiggrin: And Hawkeye.

A good Superman comic makes the reader believe that anything is possible. A good Superman story is magical.

All-Star Superman all the way here.

Taliesan
2008-02-21, 05:40 AM
It is a tossup between:

Green Arrow and Dogwelder.

HolderofSecrets
2008-02-21, 01:01 PM
@^: It's not meant to be your favourite cliche superhero, it's just the quesion was very cliche: it's kinda an obvious one.

Sorry I thought that since my list of favorite Super Heroes and Super Beings was to long that I should just pick the most Cliche on the list and post it.

The Rose Dragon
2008-02-21, 02:51 PM
Jesse Custer, Reverend. Kicks ass and looks cool while doing it.

Plus he set in motion a chain of events that...

...killed God. No, seriously.

Darth Mario
2008-02-21, 03:47 PM
Kitty Pride, as written and ONLY as written in Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon. No one else quite does her justice.
Deadpool.
V.
Batman. That's right, the Goddamn Batman.

Ethrael
2008-02-21, 04:18 PM
@^ In agreement with the Kitty Pryde thing, plus adding Emma frost to my list. Come on, doesn't every superhero team need a dirty, cold, British villain on their roster? :smallsmile:

Tamburlaine
2008-02-24, 08:47 AM
Ooh, I've got a good one:

Chaplain Action, He-Man of the cloth!

endoperez
2008-02-24, 11:55 AM
I don't really read superhero comics...

Perhaps Swamp Thing, for the reasons mentioned above.

Another not-really-super-hero, but Molly O'Reilly, the girlfriend of Timothy Hunter of Book/Books of Magic/Magick. Hunter is the main character of the series, and sees the beginning and the end of the universe before he's asked whether or not he wants to learn magic, and he's destined to be one of the most powerful magicians after he made the choice. She starts off as a no-powers girl with attitude. She beats a demon (or two?) when she's imprisoned in hell for being Hunter's girlfriend, still without any powers. When she gets cursed, she nearly destroys a plane of existence with the curse she was given, and puts into motion something that DOES destroy a plane of existence. A fiery girl to say the least. I left the series when I realized the writers were trying to get rid of/water down her character. :(

W Herzog Zwei
2008-02-24, 02:10 PM
I don't think Tommy Monaghan counts as a superhero, but as Hitman bascially was a superhero book and Tommy is my all-time favourite comicbook character, he wins.

Good runners up: Jenny Sparks, Daredevil and Green Lantern Corps (not about the single lanterns, I love the concept)

Kaelaroth
2008-02-25, 12:18 PM
Yes, I've thought of another. Yes, I like many heroes. So sue me!

Although I haven't read many of his comics, Obsidian is awesome.

Amotis
2008-02-25, 12:34 PM
Batman. Simply Batman.

chormin
2008-02-25, 07:29 PM
Hal Jordan, the quintessental GL representative, and man who can pull off the BA moves when needed.

Booster Gold, because he knows he done wrong and still goes and does his best [specially the killing joke issue of the current series.

Jimblee
2008-02-25, 10:39 PM
Batman

He walks in with nothing but discipline, training, and a keen mind. Plus a few gadgets. And he actually makes it cool

Ascension
2008-02-26, 06:12 PM
My favorite super hero is Iron Man. You've got to respect a guy who, despite lacking any superhuman abilities (prior to Extremis, anyway...) manages to operate at a level of power generally reserved for demigods sheerly through inventiveness, and who, unlike Batman, manages to do it without straining the bounds of plausibility overmuch. Iron Man is what Batman should be. Although the good people of TV Tropes don't include him on the page, in my mind he's the epitome of Badass Normal (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BadassNormal).

And yes, I defend the registration act. True, some things Stark did in supporting it were stupid, but the original concept is sound. If there were real heroes running around in the world today, I'd want them registered. It doesn't kill the feel of the comics or anything, it just changes the setting a little.

I used to love Spider-Man. I suppose I still do. Quesada, on the other hand... As of BND, I'm boycotting Marvel until he's no longer in their employment. I'll be back when the dust clears.

I've also been reading Ms. Marvel since the beginning of her new series and the various Avengers series since the start of New Avengers. Err, rather, I was... before the whole "I'm boycotting Marvel until they fire the idiot" thing.

I've never been able to get into any DC ongoing series. I just don't like them all that much. Their miniseries, on the other hand, can be quite good. I especially love Kingdom Come. Brilliant.

Satyrquaze
2008-02-28, 11:13 AM
Once upon a time a comic book company published a storyline. In that story the main protagionist went insane when a semi-major villain destroyed his hometown. He then turned against his teammates, brutally attacking them in some cases; killing others. Finally he upsurped all the power at his boss’ command and became for a time one of the biggest villains of that universe. Basically decades of continuity was thrown out the window.

He was replaced with a rookie who had never really been seen up until then… a kid with all the power of the orginal, his power item acted quite differently. Now I liked this kid, he reminded me (in more ways than one) of my favorite comic book character, and I read everything I could with him in it.

Unfortunately, a lot of long-time readers were incensed. In some cases forming groups of like minded people and now boycotting what was previously their favorite comic, in other cases calling for the new character’s complete removal from continuity. And while this heated debate did boost sales of the comic for a short while, the argument still flares up to this day.

The storyline was Green Lantern: Emerald Twilight.

Now we have Marvel repeating the same mistakes that DC did back in 1993. One of their “fan-favorite” characters was killed during a recent storyline and a character that was largely an unknown stepped in to replace him. While it is obviously not the exact same situation, there are correlations that are plain to see.

My favorite comic book character is Quasar (Wendell Vaughn), and up until he was killed off during the Annihilation mini-series and then later replaced, I didn’t understand the hatred of Kyle Rayner by fans of Hal Jordan, it just seemed totally illrational to me for someone to hate a character based upon what a writer had done.

Now, I don’t hate Wendell’s replacement, Phyla-Vell, but I do understand the illrational anger exibited by the fans of Hal Jordan a little better now. They saw everything they enjoyed about their favorite character completely turned on its ear and then were forced to watch in horror as a “New and Improved!” sticker was put on it with a shiny ribbon, when to them it looked very much like a train wreck. Sound familiar?

It’s ridiculous to take out that aggression on the new character, it’s not Kyle’s fault that Hal went bad and died, and now it’s a moot point since Geoff Johns retconned it all, it only took ten years for Hal fans to get their guy back. Ideally, fans of Wendell won’t have to wait as long.

I just find it hypocritical that Marvel retconned “Quasar’s legacy” into something meaningful only after his death, if he had been treated as though he meant something to Marvel other than as the butt of jokes for Wizard Magazine or issues of Captain Marvel (a book put out by the same company!), I’d almost be able to overlook the death of my favorite character if he’d been showed a shred of respect.

Zeromage
2008-02-28, 02:04 PM
Silver Surfer

Destro_Yersul
2008-02-29, 07:33 PM
I like Deadpool and the characters from Nextwave. Iron Man is cool too.