PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch Hunter [PrC] [PEACH]

Greyen
2008-02-17, 06:27 AM
Ok guys this is my first attempt at homebrew so be brutal :smallbiggrin:

The concept here is to mix the Eldritch Blast of a Warlock with a Ranger or Scout. Much along the lines of a any of the Warlock based PrC's of Comp. Mage. I also drew heavily from the Arcane Archer and Order of the Bow Initiate. Both are considered underpowered PrC's but I like the concept of an archer type that mixes magic with the bow in some form.

-------------------------
The smell in the air spoke of age and strength. The cat was near. It had sprayed this tree not more than a few hours ago. Now where did that damn hound run off too? A baying resounds through the chirrup of crickets in the night. His head turns toward the sound, adrenaline pumping. Gotcha now kitty. Swifty and silently he begins to move toward the sound. Passing though branches, and undregrowth, fingering a tuft of fur here, smelling the passing breeze, he moves. The braying grows louder, along with the sound of a snarling beast. Oh, ho! Larger than I could have asked. This is what must be killing the antelope in the valley. Pausing at the edge of the woods he looks out into a clearing. There his spectral hound darts and dodges around a huge tawny lion. The beast must weigh a ton, strength rippling through its limbs. The hunter draws and arrow taking aim down its shaft toward the great cat as it spins trying to swat the shadowy hound. A slight green glow flows along the shaft of the arrow, he begins to circle for a better shot. Hold still... *Sha-whump* the bow thumps as the string is released. A green streamer left behind as it speeds to its target. The great cat yowls deeply as the metal tip pierces it's chest, green eldritch power exploding out into the beast. It spins and leaps at its new assailant. Tumbling out reach of the beasts claws, he draws and fires another greenish arrow. This one strikes the cat in the neck, exploding through the monsters arteries. Blood flowing freely from its wounds the cat charges the hunter. The hunter draws and fires as he moves, another green tinged arrow releasing eldritch energy into the cat as it pierces flesh. The cat lands and tumbles to to a stop. Bloddy and dead, the hound gambols about making a racket cheering its master on. The hunter steps up to the beast looking at the burned holes in its hide Now, how am I going to get this thing home to collect the bounty

Eldritch Hunter http://my1.photodump.com/eichmanc/archeravatarbackgroundig3-T.jpg (http://www.photodump.com/eichmanc/archeravatarbackgroundig3.html)w/ pic by Bisected8

HD: d8
Requirements: Skirmish class ability or Favored Enemy, Eldritch Blast 1d6, Point Blank Shot, Track, Survival 8 ranks

{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+2|Imbue Ranged Weapons, Class Synergy

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+3|Eldritch Blast +1d6

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+3|Flawless Stride, Hunter's Sense I

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4| Eldritch Blast 2d6, 1 Lesser Essence Invocation

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+4|Huntsman’s Hound

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+5|1 Greater Essence Invocation, Eldritch Blast 3d6

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+5|Hunter's Sense II, Seeker Arrow

8th|
+6|
+2|
+6|
+6|Eldritch Blast 4d6

9th|
+6|
+3|
+6|
+6|1 Dark Essence Invocation

10th|
+7|
+3|
+7|
+7|Eldritch Blast 5d6, Hunter's Sense III, Craft Slayer Arrow[/table]

Class Features:
Proficient in all simple weapons, short bow, composite short bow, long bow, composite long bow, light and heavy crossbows.
Proficient in light armor

Skills: 6+int bonus /level Climb, Concentration, Craft, Escape Artist, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Hinde, Jump, Know: Arcana, Know:Dungeoneering, Know:Geography, Know:Local, Know:Nature, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival, Swim, Tumble, use Magic Device, Use Rope

Class Synergy: Levels in Eldritch Hunter stack with levels of Ranger or Scout to determine Skirmish or Favored Enemy bonuses respectively. Levels in Eldritch Hunter also count toward the power level (least, Lesser, Greater, Dark) of new invocations learned if a PC takes levels in Warlock, but not volume. For example Bob the Scout 5/Warlock 1/Eldritch Hunter 6 decides to take another level in warlock he is eligible to gain a Least or Lesser invocation as if he had raised from Warlock 6 to Warlock 7, but he will still only know 2 invocations as a 2nd level warlock.

Imbue Ranged Weapon An Eldritch Hunter is able to imbue his eldritch blast energy into his ranged attacks. As part of either a standard attack action or full attack action they can add xd6 (up to their max per round) eldritch blast energy into their ranged attack. If an Eldritch Hunter is able to make more than one attack, such as full attack or many shot, they can only use up to their normal EB damage dice once in the round. They can break up these dice into the various attacks as they choose. (For example: Bob the Eldritch Hunter has a 3d6 Eldritch blast and a BAB of +8. He gets one attack at +8, and another at +3 per normal with a full attack action, he can add 2d6 to the first shot and 1d6 to the second or all 3d6 to the first or second as he chooses.)
This additional Eldritch Blast damage stacks with normal magical abilities, such as enhancement bonus', and the Flaming magic weapon ability. (So if Bob from above was using a Flaming Short Bow +1 to make a single attack his damage would be 1d6+1 for the bow + 1d6 for flaming + 3d6 eldritch blast)
If the Eldritch Hunter knows any Eldritch Essence Invocations they may used in conjunction with the attack as per normal.
Any piece of ammunition fired in this manner is consumed in the process.

Eldritch Blast: Every even level add 1d6 to existing Eldritch blast ability.

Flawless Stride As the Scout ability

Hunter's Sense I the Eldritch Hunter's Senses have become so acute in track his prey that he gains the Scent special ability.

Lesser Essence Invocation The Eldritch hunter learns a Lesser, or Least Eldritch Essence invocation which can be applied as normal to either standard Eldritch Blasts or the Imbue Ranged Weapon ability.

Huntsman's Hound At 5th level the hunter gains the service of a spectral hunting hound. This hound has identical stats the Mordenkainen's Trusted Blood Hound from Comp. Mage. This appears as a medium sized long and lean shadowy hunting hound. It uses the character's Survival ranks or character level (whichever is higher). BAB is equal to the PC's HD, and it can travel up to 100ft per Eldritch hunter Level away from the PC. It has animal intelligence and knows the tricks: attack, down, guard, heel, seek, stay, track. If the Hound is dispelled the Hunter can summon a new one after 24hrs.

Greater Essence Invocation The Eldritch hunter learns a Greater, Lesser, or Least Eldritch Essence invocation which can be applied as normal to either standard Eldritch Blasts or the Imbue Ranged Weapon ability.

Hunter's Sense II Gain Blindsense out to 30ft

Seeker Arrow An Eldritch Hunter can imbue an arrow with the ability to seek its target regardless of cover or concealment. The arrow will zip around corners and even chase a fleeing target. Doing so is a standard action as part of the attack action, ie. not usable on a full attack, and the ability consumes/negates 4d6 of the Eldritch Blast. Attack roll is made normally but ignores any cover or concealment the target may have. The arrow must still be physically be able to approach the target, if a target is in an fully enclosed space, like a room with closed windows and doors the arrow will not be able to approach the target.

Hunter's Sense III Gain Blindsight out to 30ft

Dark Essence Invocation The Eldritch hunter learns a Dark, Greater, Lesser, or Least Eldritch Essence invocation which can be applied as normal to either standard Eldritch Blasts or the Imbue Ranged Weapon ability.

Craft Slayer Arrow An Eldritch Hunter has learned enough about the hunt at this point to be able to craft a special arrow, or other piece of ammunition, to kill a specific creature. The hunter needs a master work, or better, arrow and 1 hour to craft this arrow. The hunter needs to know the name of the creature to be killed, or have some piece of the creature itself (blood, fur, scales, etc.). Only a specific creature can be identified, not an entire species or type. For example 'Verminthrax the Red Dragon' is acceptable but not 'red dragon'. This arrow must be used within 10 days of creation or its magic dissipates. Creating a slayer arrow costs the hunter 2exp per HD of the creature to be killed, as well as the cost of the ammunition.
If the named creature is struck by the Slayer Arrow it take regular damage from arrow and maximum damage from the Imbued Eldritch Blast, as if it were under the Maximize Spell feat. In addition a death effect is triggered forcing the victim to roll a fortitude save vs. 10 + Eld. Hunter level (10) + cha mod
or be reduced instantly to below -10 hit points.

Least Eldritch Essense Invocations
Hammer Blast
Frightful Blast
Sickening Blast

Lesser Eldritch Essense Invocations
Baneful Blast
Hellrime Blast
Beshadowed Blast
Brimstone Blast

Greater Eldritch Essense Invocations
Bewitching Blast
Noxious Blast
Repelling Blast
Vitriolic Blast
Hindering Blast

Dark Eldritch Essense Invocations
Utterdark Blast
Binding Blast

-------------------

Thoughts? Criticism? Ideas to Fix or balance it further?

Greyen
2008-02-17, 01:12 PM
I just noticed that there is a very similar PrC being presented in another thread that was put up before this one. I apologize if this steps on that creator's toes.

Completely unitentional.

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-17, 02:46 PM
It doesn't step on my toes (if they are my toes). :smallbiggrin: I encourage homebrewing, even if they are similar, as does almost everyone here. On the class, Look at the Bloodhound in CAd (I think) for tips.

Greyen
2008-02-17, 02:55 PM
I did use that for some inspiration but am looking for the specific eld. blast with a bow feel instead of the detective/cop ideal.

Timaoh
2008-02-17, 03:16 PM
I like the flavor but it seems ability heavy. Movement, EB, Stacking with 2 classes, all those skills, and a d8. That and it seems to be all over the place with it's abilities instead of thematicly focused. Maybe that's just my impression. (a paragraph about what he's supposed to be might help.)

oh and just my 2 cp but arcane archer is never underpowered. :smallbiggrin:

MorkaisChosen
2008-02-17, 03:18 PM
It looks fairly focused to me- a Warlock/scout combination that hunts things. It could probably do with a bit of description, but I think the mechanics look OK.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-17, 03:22 PM
Hmm... interesting. Particularly the fact that you've completely scrapped invocation progression for further focus on the blast. That's not bad, or imbalanced on it's own, but taking levels in warlock after this might be a bit foolish.

It looks ok. It's a nich class, there are limited numbers of half way effective builds with it, and taking it'll hit progression with the other classes, but it's balanced and very interesting. I like it.

Greyen
2008-02-17, 04:30 PM
Fluff added.

I'm thinking off adding in a few ivocation choices, like every third level get an essense invocation that can be added to the Imbue ability. At 3rd get a lesser, 6th get a greater, 9th get a dark.

Also thinking of making the Class synergy allow for someone to advance in warlock as if he had taken levels in warlock. Say a Scout 5, Warlock 2, Eldritch Hunter 5, want to add another level of Warlock he would get invocation progression as if he advanced warlock from 7 to 8, instead of 2-3.

Moral Wiz
2008-02-17, 04:34 PM
Don't give it perfect synergy, that would be a bit OTT. The idea about essence invocations works, but loose the Hunters senses 2 and 3 if so.

Greyen
2008-02-17, 04:46 PM
Well, The synergy would be to allow for higher level invocations not a larger volume of them. Basically to allow a 14th level guy to have access to Greater or Dark invocations instead of least ones.

The hunter's sense things are stolen from the scout progression. I like the idea behind them. If anything goes the hounds do, or they get delayed until later. Maybe get rid of the pack and make the and hound a capstone. A free 2d6 attack per round isn't anything to sneeze at.

Pyroconstruct
2008-02-17, 11:26 PM
It's not actually listed what Slayer Arrow does. You should probably specify (I'm assuming Fort DC 20 or die, maybe?)

Greyen
2008-02-17, 11:28 PM
Oh, whoops. Fixing that now.

GimliFett
2008-02-21, 01:45 PM
I like it Greyen. Though the hound thing is a little too similar to a Vestige on which I'm working. :smallbiggrin:

I like the idea of gaining Essence invocations. I think something'd definitely have to go though. Since you're so tied to the Hunter's Senses, maybe Pack of Hounds for the Dark, and fast movement for the greater, and just toss the lesser in at 4th? 3rd gets too much right now to put it there...

By the way, do the Hunters' Senses replace their predecessors?

All things considered, it looks like fun for the right character build.

Greyen
2008-02-21, 01:55 PM
Hunters senses are gained. So by 10th you have Scent, Blindsense 30' and Blindsight 30'.

I think I will make those changes as for the Essense Invocations. Replacing as you suggest is very reasonable.

Must first check with the DM who approved use of this PrC before I make changes.

Greyen
2008-02-21, 03:41 PM
Rebuild Posted Above

GimliFett
2008-02-21, 03:46 PM
An explanation and entry for the Essence Invocations wouldn't hurt! :smalltongue:

Greyen
2008-02-21, 03:54 PM
Fixed...but I need to go back and fix some spelling issue too. Hehehe..I suck at typing.

GimliFett
2008-02-21, 04:06 PM
Looks good. Don't forget there are other Invocations out there other than in Complete Arcane.

For example, from Complete Mage:
Binding Blast: Dark.
Baneful Blast: Lesser.
Hammer Blast: Least.
Hindering Blast: Greater.

Greyen
2008-02-22, 02:30 AM
Added in those from Comp. Mage too, listing them at the bottom of the post. I don't have access to any of them from Dragon Magazine and I can't find any more online at the moment.