PDA

View Full Version : Chlorian Mage [PrC]

Ethrael
2008-02-17, 06:39 AM
I thought of this prestige class when thinking mostly about the druid and how they have a very wide range of powers, and so I though to expand upon one. Please give any suggestion, especially the muster plant substance, I'm not completely sure about it. This is pretty much a rough and I's not finished for certain. :smallsmile:

Chlorian Mage

Requirements
To qualify to become a Chlorian Mage, a character must fulfil all the following criteria.
Skills: Knowledge (nature) 8 ranks, Survival 8 ranks.
Feats: At least one metamagic feat.
Other: At least 2 levels in a divine spellcasting class.

Class Skills
Hit die: d8.
The Chlorian Mage’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis) and Swim (Str).

The Chlorian Mage
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|+0|+2|+0|+0|Growth, Shrinking

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0|Herb knowledge, Plant spores

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1|Natural link, Plant form 1/day

4th|+3|+4|+1|+1|Bonus metamagic feat, Woodland stride

5th|+3|+4|+1|+1|Summon plant creature

6th|+4|+5|+2|+2|Immunity to Flora, Plant form 2/day

7th|+5|+5|+2|+2|Muster plant substance

8th|+6|+6|+2|+2|Control plants 1/day, Bonus metamagic feat

9th|+6|+6|+3|+3|Unyielding roots, Plant form 3/day

10th|+7|+7|+3|+3|Control plants 2/day[/table]

Class Features

Weapon and armour proficiency: Chlorian Mages are proficient with the following weapons: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear.

Chlorian Mages are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A Chlorian Magemay also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Chlorian Mages are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.

A Chlorian Mage who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Growth (Su): At 1st level, a Chlorian Mage may use the growth class feature at will. The mage selects a plant or selection of plants within 20 feet. The mage may choose to make this plant spontaneously grow or enlarge in size, whether it is certain aspects of that plant (e.g. thorns) or the whole plant. This ability can also be used as the Enrichment effect of the Plant growth spell. The selected plant(s) can grow up to 1d4 x Chlorian Mage level feet and lift however much a plant of that size could. The effect is permanent and only works as to enlarge plants, not to move them or shrink them. This has no effect on plant creatures.

Shrinking (Su): At 1st level, a Chlorian Mage can use the shrinking class feature at will. This works in exact same way to growth only to the shrink the plants instead of enlarging them. The minimum the plant can be reduced to however is 1/10 its natural size.
Herb Knowledge (Ex): At 2nd level a Chlorian Mage may make a Herb knowledge check at will. The modifier for this is the intelligence modifier. If passed, the Chlorian Mage knows everything about a chosen plant: its shape, size, rarity, habitat, spells it can be used in etc. The DC for this check is always 15.

Plant Spores (Su): At 2nd level, a Chlorian Mage may use the plant spores class feature equal to their Chlorian Mage level/day.
The Chlorian Mage may produce tiny plant spores which can be directed by the caster as a 60-foot ray or 40-foot2 spread. The subject makes a DC 14+caster level fortitude save or suffer the consequences. If they pass the save, they are unaffected.
A d10 is rolled; 1-3 causes the subject(s) to become paralysed; 4-6 causes them to fall asleep and 7-10 makes them exhausted. A DC 15 Concentration check can be made to change the dice results by 2 points in a certain direction; if this check is failed, the caster cannot change the result of the dice roll. The effects last for 1d6 +Chlorian Mage level rounds.
A strong wind, strong wind, can stop the spores from reaching their target and clear them of the effects. A DC 20 Heal check can also end the effects 3 rounds early.

Natural Link (Su): At 3rd level, a Chlorian Mage becomes much more connected to nature. They can talk to plants, as the speak with plants spell, at will and can also use naturewatch at will, except they don’t only sense dying plants, but all within range.

Plant Form (Su): At 3rd level, a Chlorian Mage may take on the form of any plant or plant creature up to and including one with a CR of his total levels. He may take any amount of objects and/or people up to and including double his Chlorian Mage level. Weapons and armour count as objects but possession do not. Anything that must be held or worn counts as an object.
When in plant form, the Chlorian Mage takes on all attributes of that plant including physical stats. He may still cast spells if in possession of the Natural Spell feat. He cannot communicate with anyone other than plants. He retains his AC bonus, is he has absorbed his armour as well, but can’t attack with his weapon. He also take on any natural armour AC bonuses or any attacks the plant has naturally. He moves at the natural speed of that plant and remains in that form for 1 hour/3 Chlorian Mage levels. He can exit this form at any time during the effect but it still counts as a whole attempt.

Bonus Metamagic Feat: At 4th and 8th levels, a Chlorian Mage may choose to take on an extra metamagic feat.

Woodland Stride (Ex): This functions in the same way as the druid’s woodland stride.

Summon Plant (Su): At 5th level, 1/day, a Chlorian Mage can summon a plant creature up to and including a CR of half their Chlorian Mage level. The creature obeys his commands and lasts at 2 rounds/Chlorian Mage level. At the end of those rounds the plants ceases to obey his commands but remains friendly.

Muster Plant Substance (Su): At 6th level, a Chlorian Mage can recreate any plant substance (e.g. acid, poison, gas) of any plant he has come across and excrete it from any orifice of his body. He can do this up to his Chlorian Mage level/day.

Immunity to Flora (Ex): At 7th level, a Chlorian Mage becomes immune to any plant attack that may cause him to take a fortitude save and it is assumed he instantly passes. He also gains damage reduction 8/- to plant attacks’ damage.

Control Plants (Su): At 8th level, a Chlorian Mage may use the control plants class feature 1/day. This functions like the Control Plants spell. At 10th level, he may use this 2/day.

Unyielding Roots (Su): At 9th level, a Chlorian Mage may use the unyielding roots class feature 2/day. This functions like the unyielding roots spell except he also can’t be charged, grappled, tripped or knocked prone and also gains a +3 natural armour bonus to AC.

Ethrael
2008-02-17, 12:20 PM
Is it possible nobody wishes to critisize my class?

Obrysii
2008-02-17, 12:53 PM
You'll need to add benefits of the herb lower, and just what, mechanically, the Shrink and Growth do.

This is very similar to the main character in a story I am writing - he'd be a Druid 4/Chlorian Mage 7 at the start of the novel.

Stycotl
2008-02-17, 01:05 PM
haven't read it all yet, so not sure, but the 'mage' reference throws me off for this class.

FlyMolo
2008-02-17, 01:08 PM
This is cool. I like the idea, and the class features, but they could stand to be a little more fleshed out and mechanically simpler.

But all in all, very nice work.

Ethrael
2008-02-17, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the views guys.

haven't read it all yet, so not sure, but the 'mage' reference throws me off for this class.

Yeh I didn't know what to call it originally, but I was certain it would be quite spellcasting-oriented, so I added a 'mage' onto the end of something planty.

@FlyMolo: What do you mean by fleshed out? I'm not sure I understand, could you clarify? The mechanically simpler I understand, I often get a bit too over-engrossed in the details and mechanisms.

@Obrysii: What would you like explaining about the Growth and Shrinking, they're basically opposites, and do what they say on the proverbial tin.:smallsmile: