PDA

View Full Version : Some drow. 'Nuff said really.

Askaris
2008-02-17, 04:32 PM
After a recent drow-centric campaign by Onasuma, I thought I'd try and draw the participants, for practice of doing detailed OOTS style characters, and because it seemed like a good idea at the time. :smalltongue:

WARNING: LARGE IMAGES AHOY.

Drow priestess: I originally thought the oufit I drew was a bit too skimpy, then I looked at some of the WOTC artwork...
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/585/andrewsdrowpriestess2ad7.png
The-arcane-trickster-who-doesn't-have-enough-levels-to-be-one-yet:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3241/alexschar2zm3.png
Party Rogue/Hat Wearer:
http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2750/eveliasascaroth2ss1.png

boomwolf
2008-02-17, 04:36 PM
Well.
It sure takes you ages to draw anything.

But when its done, our own drawing pale in comparison.

You can SELL things in that level.

JasonDoomsblade
2008-02-17, 04:38 PM
Really good pictures. Although you should scale them down after drawing them.

Nameless
2008-02-17, 04:42 PM
I love your style Ask, fantastic as always!
you've given me an idea.

also, I was wondering if you could draw my avi, I kinda wanna see how you would draw him. Is that okay? :smallsmile:

Green-Shirt Q
2008-02-17, 04:45 PM
also, I was wondering if you could draw my avi,

How can you make a short word even shorter?!:smalleek:

Avatar! :smalleek: Not short enough for you?

Nameless
2008-02-17, 04:48 PM

Hay, Death is lazy. :smalltongue:

Quinsar
2008-02-17, 04:48 PM

I've seen people use th instead of the.

Awesome pictures.

JasonDoomsblade
2008-02-17, 04:59 PM

You can basically make any word with more than 1 syllable shorter.

Keris
2008-02-17, 07:06 PM
Hey! I know you! You owe me an avatar and banner!
*still waiting*

banjo1985
2008-02-18, 04:54 AM
Awesome drawings as always, you make drow look cool, which is really hard to do after they've been shoved down our throats for years! I doff my hat to you sir!

Askaris
2008-02-18, 08:11 AM
Hey! I know you! You owe me an avatar and banner!
*still waiting*

*Cowers, then runs off to go draw the avatar*

Bayar
2008-02-18, 08:30 AM
Askaris, it is times like these when I wished we were not the same gender...

onasuma
2008-02-18, 08:33 AM
Yep thats them there PC's there.
Fun fact: The spider featured in the drawing of the arcane trickster ate the drow priestess' arm.
Fun fact two: The drow priestess' replacement arm can shoot poison darts
Fun fact three: The party gained 4 cursed items during the first adventuring session.

Uncle Festy
2008-02-19, 07:05 PM
Looks good. Can't say I expected anything else, though.
Just out of curiosity, how do you get the lines rounded, or that awesome shadow effect?
A very few comments on each one:
Priestess
Either the legs are too long, or the shoes are too high, not quite sure which one.
The arm holding the hammer should probably be placed so it's attached next to the body, and the hand seems twisted a bit too far to be natural. That also goes for the trickster's hand that's holding the staff.
For both the Trickster and the Rogue:
Their underclothes look just a tad too close to their skin color then entirely comfortable. Also, there should probably be a division between shirts and pants on both.
Other then that, it's really awesome!

Askaris
2008-02-20, 04:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you get the lines rounded, or that awesome shadow effect?
A very few comments on each one:
Priestess
Either the legs are too long, or the shoes are too high, not quite sure which one.
The arm holding the hammer should probably be placed so it's attached next to the body, and the hand seems twisted a bit too far to be natural. That also goes for the trickster's hand that's holding the staff.
For both the Trickster and the Rogue:
Their underclothes look just a tad too close to their skin color then entirely comfortable. Also, there should probably be a division between shirts and pants on both.
Other then that, it's really awesome!

1) There's a slider in Fireworks that allows you to set how soft a line is, 0 being very pixellated, and 100 bordering on becoming an airbrush. I find that 50 is a good value for smooth lines.

2) The shadows are done by distorting some translucent circles into the correct shape, to give a shaded effect. For more detail on that, check out this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33418&highlight=shading+tutorial) tutorial by the awesome Z-Axis. :smallbiggrin:

Priestess:

1) The boots/increased height came from the player's character sheet. His character was written down as being 5'10", which is about 5 inches too tall for a Drow. Therefore, massive boots. :smallwink:

2) Hmm... good point. TO THE EDITMOBILE!

Arcane Trickster (not):

1) The hand is supposed to look like it's gripping the globe at the top of the staff-of-not-evocation, which didn't really come out too well...

Shirts: Yeah, that is a problem. I tried white/lighter grey shirts, but it really didn't fit well...

Trousers: I imagined the shirts as being fairly long and not tucked into the trousers, hence way they cover part of the legs.

Also, Nameless, I think I'll finish off the last lot of avatar requests before I start on any more. Once those are done, then I'll start on yours. :smallsmile:

Nameless
2008-02-20, 04:37 PM
See, Fireworks, is better then Inkscape... You just need to know how to use it.
The whole line thing is the problame most people have, that and colouring in.

Bayar
2008-02-21, 02:18 AM
So that is how your laser effects and stuff are done...I shopuld try harder to mimic it in Inkscape...just so I can make Nameless mad :smalltongue:

Nameless
2008-02-21, 03:08 AM
So that is how your laser effects and stuff are done...I shopuld try harder to mimic it in Inkscape...just so I can make Nameless mad :smalltongue:

You know when you die, I'm gonna have to send you te hell Bayar... just to let you know, you and your Dark Arts! :smallannoyed:

Lyinginbedmon
2008-02-21, 04:02 AM
Mimicking it in InkScape can be achieved by making the shaped shadow and then blurring it. I've done it before but the hard shading looked better to me, it made it seem more 3D than stick figure.

Bayar
2008-02-21, 07:39 AM
You know when you die, I'm gonna have to send you te hell Bayar... just to let you know, you and your Dark Arts! :smallannoyed:

I am going to hell regardless...I eat pork...

Nameless
2008-02-21, 07:59 AM
I am going to hell regardless...I eat pork...

Pork is awesome...