PDA

View Full Version : PEACH my PRC

The_Reaper
2008-02-17, 08:04 PM
Okay, this is my first try at a PRC so bear with me. Tell me what you think of the mechanics, and please excuse any poor wording or phrasing :smallfrown: . The feat Blasting Strike is at the bottom, it's also my creation. Also, he can use a name and some fluff.

Heavy melee.

Prerquisites:
Base Attack Bonus: +10
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Blasting Strike, Brutal Throw

Class Skills:
Climb, Intimidate, Jump, Swim, Concentration

Skill points at each level: 2+ Int modifier

BAB- 3/4
Saves- Good Fort, poor Will/Reflex
HD- d12

Class features:
Code of Conduct- If a Heavy Melee attepts to use any ranged weapon other than a thrown weapon, he immediately loses all class features. He may also not utilize any spells, spell-like abilities, or psionic powers.

Mighty Thews- At first level, and every level thereafter, Heavy Melee gains a cumulative +1 to his Str score. This bonus is lost if the Heavy Melee breaks his code.

Shrug Off- At first level, a Heavy Melee gains a pool of temporary Hit Points equa to his class levelx2. These hit points are lost first, and regenerate at a rate of 1/2 class level every round. This pool increases to levelx3 at 5th level and levelx4 and regen equal to Heavy Melee level at 10th level.

The Blade's That Wide For A Reason- At 2nd level, when weilding a two-handed weapon, except for a spiked chain, a Heavy Melee gains a +2 sheild bonus to AC

Mighty Swing- At 3rd level, a Heavy Melee can make a single attack that targets two adjacent squares. This applies to Cleave attacks as well, meaning if both targets are killed the Heavy Melee can attack two other adjacent taegets.

Focused Mind- When a Heavy melee is in combat, he suffers no distractions. At 4th level, in any round when a Heavy Melee makes a melee attack, he gains a +4 bonus to his Will save against mind affecting spells and effects. This bonus increases to +8 at 9th level.

Beat Back- At 5th level, when a Heavy Melee deals damage with a melee weapon in the same round he uses his Power Attack feat, the target must make an opposed Str check to be the target of a Bull Rush effect with a bonus equal to 1/2 the Heave Melee's base attack bonus.

Take It On The Armor- At 7th level, a Heavy Melee adds his armor bonus to his Shrug Off hit points. At 10th level, he adds twice his armor bonus.

Combat Mastery- By 8th level, a Heavy Melee has had years of experience fighting large groups. He is used to attacking many foes at once, as well as landing repeated blows on a single enemy. A Heavy Melee's iterative attacks suffer a -3 penalty insyead of -5. For example, a Heavy melee has a base attack bonus of +16/+11/+6/+5 at 7th level. Upon gaining this ability at 8th level, it becomes +16/+13/+10/+7.

Explosive Strike- At 10th level, a Heavy Melee can use his Power Attack feat to attack a large area. This is a full round action, that does not provoke an attack of opprotunity. This attack affects a 10-foot square directly in front of the Heavy Melee, and the Beat Back ability appies to anyone hit, with a +4 bonus. Any creature in this area does not benefit from cover or it's sheild bonus to AC. Anything successfuly Bull Rushed by this attack is knocked prone at the end of their movement.

Blasting Strike Feat:
Prereqs: BAB+10, fighter level 10
Whenever you make a melee attack, the target must make a DC 10+BAB+Str bonus Fortitude save or be pushed back 5 feet.

Szilard
2008-02-17, 08:10 PM
What does PEACH mean? Im guessing its along the lines of please comment.

The_Reaper
2008-02-17, 08:17 PM
Please
Examine
And
Critisize
Honestly

RTGoodman
2008-02-17, 08:29 PM
PEACH = Please Examine and Critique Honestly

First, you might want to consider making a table for the class. You can find the code in this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10313) somewhere in the first or second post.

I'd add Craft and maybe Profession to the class skills, just because I think almost everyone has them anyway.

This is a melee-centric PrC, yet you gave it a 3/4 BAB. that doesn't really make sense. Just make this a full BAB (all the better for Power Attack anyway) and lighten up some other abilities to keep the balance in line.

Mighty Thews seems a little powerful, but I guess it's alright. Not as cheesy as the War Hulk PrC, though. It's good that you could lose it.

Shrug Off seems decent. It feels a strong because of the quick regeneration, but not really broken. "The Blade," Might Swing, and "Take It" seem fine.

For Focused Mind, I'd half those bonuses - +2 at first, and then +4 later.

Beat Back should be optional - you don't want your opponent flying away from you when you're walloping him with a full attack.

Combat Mastery just seems odd. I get what you're trying for, but there has to be a more... elegant way to do it than changing your actual BAB. Maybe just a bonus to attacks in a full attack or something.

Explosive Strike sounds fine, if a little weak. What is the +4 bonus you mention on? The attack? Or the Bull Rushes' opposed Str checks?

For the feat, I'd almost say that the bonus should just be 10 + 1/2 BAB + Str. Either way I guess could be fine, but if you keep it at full BAB you'd end up with forcing DC 40 Fort saves. Also, why would you just want to push them back 5 feet? Do they fall, or take damage, or anything like that?

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-17, 08:36 PM
Here, have a table.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+0|+2|+0|+0|Shrug Off (class level*2), Mighty Thews +1 to strength score, Code of Conduct

2nd|+1|+3|+0|+0|The Blade's that Wide for a Reason, Mighty Thews +2 to strength score

3rd|+2|+3|+1|+1|Mighty Swing, Mighty Thews +3 to strength score

4th|+3|+4|+1|+1|Focused Mind +4 to will saves, Mighty Thews +4 to strength score

5th|+3|+4|+1|+1|Beat Back, Shrug Off (class level*3), Mighty Thews +5 to strength score

6th|+4|+5|+2|+2|Mighty Thews +6 to strength score

7th|+5|+5|+2|+2|Take it on the Armor 1*Armor Bonus, Mighty Thews +7 to strength score

8th|+6|+6|+2|+2|Combat Mastery, Mighty Thews +8 to strength score

9th|+6|+6|+3|+3|Focused Mind +8 to will saves, Mighty Thews +9 to strength score

10th|+7|+7|+3|+3|Explosive Strike, Take it on the Armor 2*Armor Bonus, Shrug Off (class level*4), Mighty Thews +10 to strength score

[/table]

You can also use this (http://pifro.com/) web-site for the Table, it's a lot easier. I personally would cut down on Mighty Thews, make it less powerful. Also, what ^ He ^ said.

RTGoodman
2008-02-17, 08:48 PM
Wait, just noticed something (mostly because of Charlie's chart) - what do you mean by "At first level, and every level thereafter, Heavy Melee gains a cumulative +1 to his Str score."

If you mean you get +1 at every level and they stack (for a total of +10 at 10th level), then it's fine.

If you mean that the bonus increases by one (+1 Str at 1st level, +2 Str at 2nd, +3 at 3rd, and so on), for a total of +55 (!) Str, then it's ridiculously broken.

I assume you mean the first, but I just thought I'd check.

The_Reaper
2008-02-17, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I meant it gets to +10 Str at level 10.

And yeah, Beat Back would be optional. But the idea behind it was to be able to A: Get an enemy out of melee with another party member, and B: combo with Hold the Line and charge every round.

Combat Mastery: I considered just giving an extra attack at your highest BAB, but it didn't feel right.

Focused Mind: I thought about smaller bonuses, but I had it in my head it was okay to have 'em so high since it only works when attacking in melee.

Explosive Strike: The +4 is to your Bull Rush check. The idea was to be able to break up enemy formations and slam them into walls, off ledges, away from allies, etc.

Blasting Strike: This is mainly to serve as a prelude to the class's abilities. I'm not 100% happy with it either, and am still working on it.

Bandededed
2008-02-17, 09:28 PM
Blasting strike: When you say 10ft block, I see something like this:

H = hit, P = character, - = nothing.

{table]H | H
H | H
P | -[/table]

This seems odd to me, because one of your blocks will be off to the side. Unless you meant the 10 feet directly in front of the Heavy Meleer, like this:

{table]H
H
P[/table]

If you meant the first, I would chance it to 15 x 10, so you hit in front of you and on either side. If you meant the second, I would still go with this:

{table]H | H | H
H | H | H
- | P | - [/table]