PDA

View Full Version : Because We all need more Warlocky Goodness [base class, PEACH]

Charlie Kemek
2008-02-17, 09:44 PM
The Healer

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special |
Invocations

1st|+0|+0|+0|+2|Least Invocations, Healing/Harming Touch 1d4|

2nd|+1|+0|+0|+3|Domain Invocation Spell Level 1|

3rd|+2|+1|+1|+3|Healing/Harming Touch 2d4|

4th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Domain Invocation Spell Level 2|

5th|+3|+1|+1|+4|Healing/Harming Touch 3d4|

6th|+4|+2|+2|+5|lesser Invocations, Domain Invocation Spell Level 3|

7th|+5|+2|+2|+5|Healing/Harming Touch 4d4|

8th|+6/+1|+2|+2|+6|Domain Invocation Spell Level 4|

9th|+6/+1|+3|+3|+6|Healing/Harming Touch 5d4|

10th|+7/+2|+3|+3|+7|Domain Invocation Spell Level 5|

11th|+8/+3|+3|+3|+7|Healing/Harming Touch 6d4|

12th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Greater Invocations, Domain Invocation Spell Level 6|

13th|+9/+4|+4|+4|+8|Healing/Harming Touch 7d4|

14th|+10/+5|+4|+4|+9|Domain Invocation Spell Level 7|

15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+5|+9|Healing/Harming Touch 8d4|

16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Light Invocations, Domain Invocation Spell Level 8|

17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+5|+10|Healing/Harming Touch 9d4|

18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+6|+11|Domain Invocation Spell Level 9|

19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+6|+11|Healing/Harming Touch 10d4|

20th|+15/+10/+5|+6|+6|+12|Domain Invocation Spell Level 10|

[/table]

Alignment: Any Good or Lawful

Hit Die: 1d6

Class Skills:
As Warlock+cleric
Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Healing/Harming Touch: A Healer may cure or harm wounds as the spells Cure/Cause ______ wounds, except for the amount of dice. A Healer cure an amount equal to Xd4+Caster level. Otherwise, it is almost the same as Eldritch Blast.

Invocations: A healer may choose Invocations from the Cleric spell list, Least=0-2, Lesser=3-4, Greater=5-6, Light=7-9. Otherwise, they are the same as warlock invocations.

Domain Spell: A Healer chooses 2 domains and gains an invocation at each listed level listed on the chart.

================================================== ================

So, what does the Playground think?

Ilphros
2008-02-18, 12:23 AM
This is a great class idea. I can see, mainly, three major problems with it.

Problem one is infinite out-of-combat healing. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this, though, especially without making the class next to useless for healing within combat. Perhaps a limit on the lines of X/per hour uses? Something short to discourage a healing nova (Heh.) and make it flow in a warlock style, but still limited enough to conserve some.

Problem two is: Way, way, WAY too many invocations! The normal invocations are enough for a healer, and the domain invocations make it both too overpowered (Some of those domain spells get nasty. Infinite time stop, anyone?) And, for me, too cleric flavored. I tend to imagine warlocky types as naturally magical - neither arcane nor divine. But that's my opinion; The more objective problem is infinite versions of some very, very nasty spells. Or even just plain 1/day versions; Domains are a bad idea here, and the only thing I would reccomend straight out cutting from the class.

Problem three is internal - Heal invocations, mass heal invocations, greater restoration invocations all make any other ability for healing moot. What is infinite 10d4 healing... when you could heal everyone within a few feet fully? Even using the pared-down 10 hp per caster level, that's 150 points of healing (Infinitely!) Even BEFORE that 10d4 mark. I'd say write up a list of clerical spells for this, instead.

My two cents have been entered and my prize will probably include rants. For a first post, this is probably too controversial. I should have gone somewhere to say that a wizard could beat a fighter :smalltongue: :vaarsuvius: vs. :thog:!

Edit - Have the heal drain hitpoints from the healer! It's almost mildly retarded genius on my part! I hope.

Seriously, a list of suggestions:
1: Have the heal instead drain from the healer, and have the harming version heal the healer. Perhaps 1d4 hit points healed for every hit point sacrificed, up to a maximum, and for every 2-3 points of damage dealt, heal the user for 1? That may make it too easy to generate hit points, but it may take long enough to make infinite out-of-combat healing unwieldy.
2: Have a pool of healing potential that is expended with each heal and refilled with each harm. This seems like a good idea?..

The big point is to avoid infinite hit point generation. Warlocks are balanced because eldritch blast doesn't make you more powerful outside combat (Except for intimidation. Fear my demonic might!)

Edit part Deux - Yes. Everyone needs more warlocky goodness. Next on my wish list? Illusion warlocks. Mindgames... I can just imagine a bloodline based set. Demon - Warlock Celestial - Healer Devil - Binding spells? Fey - Illusions! Dragon - Dragonfire Adept, of course.

Mal666
2008-02-18, 04:05 AM
the infinite healing isnt a problem.
i can for instance make a magic item with a level 3 cleric that does the same thing quite easily. well, at touch. i'd need a level 5 cleric to make it into a ray. :smallconfused:

could easily make the domain spells usable once/day, that makes them like actual domain spells and prevents brokenness.

for the restorationy stuff... ever heard of a Dragon Shaman? it think thats the class... a limited pool based on charisma that you can spend to heal ability damage/drain/other effects. i think its charisma x Classlevel, 2 points cute an ability point, 5 for a negative level or drained point i think... that should be enough curing i think.

i like the harm idea :)

Ilphros
2008-02-19, 09:30 PM
Yes, you can. But clerics are unbalanced anyway. Also, it's not a ray.

Also... Tell me more :smallamused:

Also, the 1/day sounds good... But how much warlocky can we lose to that? Isuppose that's the domain thing down, but I still would prefer to actually restrict this class more; divine magic is powerful enough!