PDA

View Full Version : Pale Master PrC... wth?

Alleine
2008-02-18, 02:53 AM
I can't seem find anything extensive on the Pale Master PrC from Libris Mortis. All that I see is vague mentions to it.
It looked to me like it would be a fun yet effective class to play in an upcoming campaign, but when I looked at it I did a double take. Looks sound at first, but Wizard is the only class that has any hope getting into it and seeing it through to the end. Now, I know wizards are ZOMG powerful, but bookkeeping makes my lazy nature blink in rebellion. I was wondering why its only usable by a wizard, when a sorcerer would fit much better with the Cha dependent abilities.

Anyone played a Pale Master? Thoughts, experiences? All much appreciated.

Xefas
2008-02-18, 03:20 AM
It's not a very good class. If I recall, you gain no caster progression from it at all, its fluff is generic necromancer, and its abilities are nothing interesting.

Check out Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror. Not only is it a lot more useful, it has the same necromantic fluff, more unique abilities, and a lot more potential for fun.

However, if you don't like that idea, then it would be simple to modify the entry requirements to be more suitable for sorcerers...

EDIT: Also, Dread Necromancer spellcasting take even less book-keeping than sorcerers.

Mal666
2008-02-18, 03:40 AM
dread necromancer qualifies easily too.

its an awsome class actually. the touch attacks are versatile, it gives you undead leadership (go for an alip or shadow btw, incorporeal minions are great.) pluss it gives you undead immunities without actually making you undead (so no getting turned!!!)
the biggest bonus from the class is the Animate dead 1/day power you get early on... you dont need a material componant, so its a free zomby a day up to your maximum raise allowance. at 10th level, its a free 20HD undead. think about that carefully (grey render zombies, Dragon Skeletons etc)

dread necromancers have their own issues though, not enough DD spells to be as versatile as they need to be. although, Infernal Sorceror Howl makes up for it nicely, so does ditching a caster level to the other prc Sandshaper.

anyhow, its nice and flexable. you can try and go the generalist route and make yourself able to throw out a huge range of differing effects, go the Undead Master route with corpsecrafter feats (destructive retribution is funny btw on wolf or goblin skeletons, swarm them in and watch them pop) and you can even do the blaster thing with barrages of negative energy and feats like Divine Quicken (since the dread necromancer has turning ability) or play with the reserve feats from the Complete Mage.

anyhow, have fun Necromancing!:smallbiggrin:

Alleine
2008-02-18, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I was aware of the Dread Necromancer, but I never really looked at it. And I think I like it better than the Pale master, although I do like some of the Pale Master abilities better. More undead control oriented and less "I'm a lich!", although I'd love to see everyone's face when I tell them I've become a lich, hehe.
Yeah, I think those undead controlling abilities will be missed, but that dead level was a downer. Thanks again for telling me about this

SadisticFishing
2008-02-18, 02:27 PM
One of my players once played a Monk/Sorcerer/Pale Master with the Ascetic Mage feat (CArC). It worked fairly well, he did touch attacks and had very good AC. He got a lot out of his Cha. You don't get into the class for a while and have to spend a ton of points on Knowledge (Religion), but it worked. Not 100% optimized, but it's not Wizard 20 or Druid 20. Oh no.