PDA

View Full Version : Celox--variant monk

Stycotl
2008-02-18, 03:28 AM
Celox--Monk Variant

I know, there are oodles and oodles of monk-variants out there. Here is my take:
• Full bab (still under debate)
• Simple and martial weapon proficiency (ditto)
• Capable of using light armor
• Relies heavily on speed and agility (skirmish, spring attack-esque abilities), instead of flurry.
• Ends up with haste and freedom of movement.

This does not address many of the issues that some people have with the monk, but it addresses mine. I originally had it progressing as a martial adept class, with progression of feats and maneuvers as a warblade, but readying and recovering methods as a swordsage. However, as the class took shape, it seemed too powerful to me to keep the sublime aspect. So I took it out. if anyone thinks it rates martial maneuvers on top of everything else it already has, let me know, and tell why you think that way.

Note: some abilities are not gained at standard levels or standard interval. This was due mostly to an attempt to spread the load, so that not too many levels had three or four abilities while the next level had zero, or only one. Fast movement, and improved evasion are the ones that I am thinking of off the top of my head, though there might have been one or two more.

Enjoy. Please let me know what you think. Thanks, aaron out.

Celox monks are martial artists that rely on their speed and reflexes in order to perform feats of astonishing prowess. Capable of dazzling foes with their lightning-fast movement, and bone-crushing, iron-rending strikes, these monks turn athleticism and combat into a true art form.

Celox monks fill the same rolls in society, or an adventuring party as would a normal monk, though their specialties are more focused on physical conditioning than harmonious existence.

Alignment: A celox relies on discipline and self control in order to tap the hidden reserves of strength and vitality with her. A celox can be any lawful alignment.

Hit Dice: d8

Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (Arcana), Knowledge (Religion), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex)

Skill Points at first level: (4+Int modifier) x4

Skill Points per level: 4+Int modifier

Celox—Variant Monk
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+2|Unarmed Strike (1d6), Weapon Aptitude

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+3|Evasion

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+3|Fast Movement +10 feet, Skirmish (+1d6)

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+4|Ki Strike (Magic), Unarmed Strike (1d8)

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+4|AC +1, Mobility

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+5|
+5|Fast Movement +20 feet, Skirmish (+1d6/+1AC)

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+5|
+5|Spring Attack

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+6|
+6|Improved Evasion, Unarmed Strike (1d10)

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+6|
+6|Fast Movement +30 feet, Skirmish (+2d6/+1AC)

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+7|
+7|AC +2, Ki Strike (Lawful)

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+7|
+7|Bounding Assault, Unarmed Strike (2d6)

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+8|
+8|Fast Movement +40 feet, Skirmish (+2d6/+2AC)

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+8|
+8|Mind and Body

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+9|
+9|Clutching Sand, Fast Movement +50 feet

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+9|
+9|AC +3, Skirmish (+3d6/+2AC)

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+10|
+10|Ki Strike (Adamantine), Unarmed Strike (2d8)

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+10|
+10|Rapid Blitz

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+11|
+11|Fast Movement +60 feet, Skirmish (+3d6/+3AC)

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+11|
+11|Damage Reduction

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+12|
+12|AC +4, Legerity[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Celox monks are proficient with any weapon designated as a monk special weapon (such as sai, shuriken, kusari-gama, etc), but not normal simple, martial, or exotic weapons.

A Celox is proficient in light armor, but not shields.

A Celox monk that uses medium or heavy armor, or shields of any kind, loses the use of her armor class bonus, her skirmish ability, her spring attack, Bounding Assualt, and Rapid Blitz feats, and her fast movement abilities.

AC Bonus (Ex): When in light armor or less, and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

Unarmed Strike (Ex): A monk gains the Improved Unarmed Strike feat as a bonus feat. A monk’s attacks may be with either fist interchangeably or even from elbows, knees, and feet. This means that a monk may even make unarmed strikes with her hands full. There is no such thing as an off-hand attack for a monk striking unarmed. A monk may thus apply her full Strength bonus on damage rolls for all her unarmed strikes.

Usually a monk’s unarmed strikes deal lethal damage, but she can choose to deal nonlethal damage instead with no penalty to her attack roll. She has the same choice to deal lethal or nonlethal damage while grappling.

A monk’s unarmed strike is treated as both a manufactured weapon and a natural weapon for the purpose of spells and effects that enhance or improve either type.

A monk also deals more damage with her unarmed strikes than a normal person would. The unarmed damage given in the table is for Medium-sized monks. A smaller, or larger monk deals more or less damage as appropriate for their size.

Weapon Aptitude (Ex): the celox monk’s training with a wide range of weaponry and tactics gives her great skill with particular weapons. She qualifies for feats that usually require a minimum number of fighter levels as if she had fighter levels equal to her celox monk level -4. For example, as a celox monk 8, she could take Weapon Specialization, since she is treated as being a fighter 4, for this purpose. These effective fighter levels stack with any actual fighter levels she has. Thus, a fighter 2/celox monk 4 would qualify for Weapon Specialization as a fighter 4.

The celox monk also has the flexibility to adjust her training. Any time she spends 1 hour in weapon practice, she can change the designated weapon for any feat she has that applies only to a single weapon (such as Weapon Focus). She must have the newly designated weapon available during her practice session to make this change. For example, if she wanted to change the designated weapon for her Weapon Focus feat from kama to longsword, she must have a longsword available to practice with during her practice session.

She can adjust any number of his feats in this way, and she doesn’t have to adjust them all in the same way. However, she can’t change the weapon choices in such a way that she no longer meets the prerequisite for some other feat she possesses. For instance, if she has both Weapon Focus (kama) and Weapon Specialization (kama), she can’t change the designated weapon for her Weapon Focus unless she also changes the weapon for Weapon Specialization in the same way.

Further, the celox monk can gain a temporary proficiency with any weapon that she practices with in her one-hour practice session. For example, the celox monk practices for one hour with a rapier (a martial weapon that is not on her list of class weapon proficiencies), after which she becomes proficient with the weapon, and applies her Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization to the weapon. This proficiency lasts until the monk again practices with another weapon for one hour with the goal to change proficiencies, and/or weapon feats. Therefore, if the same celox monk claims an enchanted orc double axe from the hoard of the villain who she slew with the rapier, and she wants now to become proficient with the double axe and apply her Weapon Focus and Specialization, she need only practice with the axe for one hour to do so. Note that gaining a temporary proficiency with a practiced weapon does not negate any permanent weapon proficiencies that the monk has through race or class. Only temporary proficiencies gained through the use of Weapon Aptitude are negated.

At any time, as a free action, the monk can default back to unarmed strike as her weapon of choice for weapon-related feats such as Weapon Focus. This works as if the monk had given up whatever temporary proficiencies and feat allocations on the previously selected weapon, and practiced for one hour with his unarmed strikes, and lasts until she again spends one hour in training with another weapon. This does not work with special monk weapons.

This class ability assumes that the monk would have trained extensively in most conceivable weapon types, and would know a good deal about them even if she has never become too familiar with their workings. Therefore, some weapons, such as siege weapons, weapons of high technology (pistols, explosive devices, etc), and others that the DM deems unfit, cannot be affected by Weapon Aptitude.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level or higher if a monk makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an effect that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used if a monk is wearing light armor or less, and unencumbered. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of Evasion.

Fast Movement (Ex): At 3rd level, a monk gains an enhancement bonus to her speed, as shown in the above table. A monk in medium or heavier armor, or encumbered, loses this extra speed.

Skirmish (Ex): At 3rd level, the monk learns to use her mobility to deal extra damage and to improve her defense. She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at last 10 feet. The extra damage applies only to attacks taken during the monk’s turn. This extra damage increased by 1d6 for every six levels gained past 3rd (2d6 at 9th, and 3d6 at 15th).

The extra damage only applies against living creatures with discernable anatomies. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The monk must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Monks can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while skirmishing, but only if the target is within 30 feet.

At 6th level, a monk gains a +1 competence bonus to Armor Class during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet. The bonus applies as soon as the monk has moved 10 feet, and lasts until then start of her next turn. This bonus improves by 1 for every six levels gained above 6th (+2 at 12th, and +3 at 18th).

Ki Strike (Su): At 4th level, a monk’s unarmed attacks are empowered with ki. Her unarmed attacks are treated as magic weapons for the purpose of dealing damage to creatures with damage reduction. Ki strike improves with the character’s level. At 10th level, her unarmed attacks are also treated as lawful weapons for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. At 16th level, her unarmed attacks are treated as adamantine weapons for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction, and bypassing hardness.

Mobility (Ex): At 5th level, the monk gains the feat Mobility, as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Spring Attack (Ex): At 7th level, the monk gains the feat Spring Attack, as a bonus feat, even if she does not meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Improved Evasion (Ex): At 8th level, a monk’s evasion improves. She still takes no damage on a successful Reflex save against effects that deal half damage upon a successful save, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless monk does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Bounding Assault (Ex): At 11th level, the monk gains the feat Bounding Assault, as a bonus feat, even if the monk does not meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Mind and Body (Ex): At 13th level, the monk gains superior mastery over many of her physical and mental abilities; as her mind quickens and her coordination and reflexes increase, the world seems to slow down around her, giving her time to absorb details, to strategize, and to react accordingly. She can now double her ability modifier (if any) to the following skills: Balance, Climb, Jump, Listen, Move Silent, Spot, and Tumble. If she has no ability modifier for any of these skills, she gains a +1 bonus instead. Further, she can take 10 on any of these skill checks, even when distracted or endangered. A celox monk of 13th level is always treated as if having taken a running start on Jump checks, whether or not she actually did.

Clutching Sand (Su): At 14th level, the monk gains the effects of the spell freedom of movement for a total of 1 round per level per day, split up as she chooses.

Rapid Blitz (Ex): At 17th level, the monk gains the feat Rapid Blitz, as a bonus feat, even if the monk does not meet the prerequisites for the feat.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 19th level, the monk gains damage reduction equal to 1.5 x his Wisdom modifier.

Legerity (Su): At 20th level, the monk gains the effects of the spell, greater haste (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4581632#post4581632) for 1 round per level per day (20 rounds/day at 20th level), split up as she chooses.

Ex-Celox: A celox monk that becomes nonlawful can no longer gain levels as a monk, but still retains all monk abilities.

Stycotl
2008-02-18, 04:46 PM
nada? debe ser que es perfecto, pues...

so no one has any problems with the weapon and armor proficiencies, or the skirmish? going once...

Stycotl
2008-02-20, 11:09 PM
i took another look at it, and decided to get rid of the fighter bab, even though that was one of the original things that i liked about it. but i now like the class abilities more than the iterive attacks. i also dropped the fort save progression to low. i figure that this balances it out a little.

one question i have been asking myself though is whether i ought to keep the simple/martial weapon proficiencies. what do you guys think? i think that logically it makes sense. a monk would be proficient in just about every non-tech type weapon in existence, though specialized in only a few. *but* this is not a normal monk. this is a speed-monkey, spring-attacking fiend. maybe i ought to drop it to light and one-handed simple/martial. or maybe i ought to say only special monk weapons.

what do you guys think?

Xyk
2008-02-20, 11:15 PM
This seems immensely overpowered compared to the original monk.

jagadaishio
2008-02-20, 11:21 PM
i took another look at it, and decided to get rid of the fighter bab, even though that was one of the original things that i liked about it. but i now like the class abilities more than the iterive attacks. i also dropped the fort save progression to low. i figure that this balances it out a little.

one question i have been asking myself though is whether i ought to keep the simple/martial weapon proficiencies. what do you guys think? i think that logically it makes sense. a monk would be proficient in just about every non-tech type weapon in existence, though specialized in only a few. *but* this is not a normal monk. this is a speed-monkey, spring-attacking fiend. maybe i ought to drop it to light and one-handed simple/martial. or maybe i ought to say only special monk weapons.

what do you guys think?

Since they still get their unarmed strike damage progression, I would argue that you should say special monk weapons only. That said, you should also mention that in non-thrown weapons (to prevent this from being applied to shuriken), you may choose to do your unarmed strike damage instead of the weapon's normal damage. This has always been the one thing which prevented monks from using any of those cool, unique weapons that they get.

That said, if you want to make it a spring attacker, drop flurry of blows. Period. It takes a full round action to use, which means that you can't incorporate it into a spring attack. Which means either its speed and spring attacks are useless or its flurry of blows is useless.

If you want them to be any sort of a primary melee attacker, give them a full base attack bonus. Rogue and Scout have 3/4 because one is geared towards flanking and the other keeps opponents at as long of a range as possible. The Celox will be clonking people in the face while running back and forth. Full BAB is needed.

As to whether or not they deserve a good fort save, ask yourself whether you think their bodies are more resistant to disease and poison than a ranger or less so. That should be the perspective you're going for.

That's my advice. Take what you want, leave what you don't.

Stycotl
2008-02-20, 11:27 PM
This seems immensely overpowered compared to the original monk.

it is meant to be overpowered compared to the original monk. in the campaigns that i dm i don't discourage people from playing the normal monk, all zen-like and stuff. i give them a few bonuses (such as full bab). but i also felt i needed a variant. something that sated the 'i'm-playing-a-weenie-monk' deal.

now, overpowered compared to monk: good. overpowered compared to warblade or swordsage: not so good.

thanks for the response, by the way. nice to get some feedback.

Stycotl
2008-02-20, 11:38 PM
Since they still get their unarmed strike damage progression, I would argue that you should say special monk weapons only. That said, you should also mention that in non-thrown weapons (to prevent this from being applied to shuriken), you may choose to do your unarmed strike damage instead of the weapon's normal damage. This has always been the one thing which prevented monks from using any of those cool, unique weapons that they get.

all right, getting some good replies now.good point. i can see that. i am not sure about the unarmed damage on monk weapons, but the idea appeals to me. i am not too fond of the idea of not allowing ranged monk weapons, if this is what you are saying. but i could say, proficiency in all monk weapons; can use unarmed damage instead of weapon damage for all melee monk weapons. ranged monk weapons deal normal weapon damage.

That said, if you want to make it a spring attacker, drop flurry of blows. Period. It takes a full round action to use, which means that you can't incorporate it into a spring attack. Which means either its speed and spring attacks are useless or its flurry of blows is useless.

now, here, i wanted a flurrying monk whether he was spring-attacking or not. so i kept flurry for a full attack situation, and gave the spring attack tree for tactical skirmishes. obviously the celox is going to be skirmishing more often than not. but there are times when he won't be able to. on one hand, i like the versatility of both. on the other, i can see your point, and maybe it would add a thematic element, and an urgent desire not to get stuck in full attack-mode by getting cornered, etc, if he only got normal attacks without a skirmish.

If you want them to be any sort of a primary melee attacker, give them a full base attack bonus. Rogue and Scout have 3/4 because one is geared towards flanking and the other keeps opponents at as long of a range as possible. The Celox will be clonking people in the face while running back and forth. Full BAB is needed.

ah-hah! my dilemma. the demented one thought that this class was too powerful w/ full bab AND all good saves like the base monk. that is what i have been juggling. i want, *really* want full bab. but can i justify it with this build? like is said, it is supposed to be more powerful than the base. but, i can't go too far.

As to whether or not they deserve a good fort save, ask yourself whether you think their bodies are more resistant to disease and poison than a ranger or less so. That should be the perspective you're going for.

That's my advice. Take what you want, leave what you don't.

i agree with you 100%. my problem is as above. i think the monk should have full fort save as well as will/reflex. but can i balance that with full bab, AND with the spring attack tree, AND unarmed damage, AND monk ac bonus?

if it comes to all of that, i would rather keep class abilities (though i am considering dropping flurry now...) and drop bab to rogue, and only have two good saves.

whew. i appreciate the comments. keep 'em coming.

Stycotl
2008-02-20, 11:39 PM
maybe i should just scrap this and turn it into a prc. i really want to keep it a base class though, but it is hard to justify the quasi-prc abilities. so shiny. i'm like a racoon.

kentma57
2008-02-21, 08:59 AM
I like it, I might play one in my next campaign...

Stycotl
2008-02-21, 10:57 AM
I like it, I might play one in my next campaign...

glad you like it.

i think i have decided to take out flurry of blows. i will make him a good skirmisher, but average in stand-up, duke-it-out combat.

at the same time though, i hesitate with the weapon selection. i think i like the idea on some levels of giving him proficiencies with only monk weapons, but i think that this only works balance-wise, not flavor-wise, or history-wise (since when has d&d been worried about history?). what i think i might do is give them simpe weapons and special monk weapons, and then let them hav e the choice to do unarmed damage with *melee* monk weapons.

i also want to do something with the empty space at level one where flurry used to be. level 11 is not a big deal to me, cuz there is still some good stuff there, even without greater flurry.

i am thinking of a lesser version of unacanny dodge, one that only works when celox has moved 10 feet or more in a round. then, maybe at 7th level, give him a bonus to reflex saves or hit prob with the same movement. or, kinda like the improved skirmish feat, if he moves 20+ feet in a round. something like that...

how does that sound?

Stycotl
2008-02-21, 11:03 AM
someone help me out here; i might be going even more senile than i thought i was. but i thought i remembered a monk's unarmed attacks automatically allowing dex to modify the attack roll, not strength, even without taking wpn finesse. but when i was scouring the srd, i couldn't find it.

am i mixing 3.0 w/ 3.5 up in my head, or is it still there and i just didn't see it? or am i going crazy?

jagadaishio
2008-02-21, 08:08 PM
someone help me out here; i might be going even more senile than i thought i was. but i thought i remembered a monk's unarmed attacks automatically allowing dex to modify the attack roll, not strength, even without taking wpn finesse. but when i was scouring the srd, i couldn't find it.

am i mixing 3.0 w/ 3.5 up in my head, or is it still there and i just didn't see it? or am i going crazy?

It does require weapon finesse.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-21, 09:15 PM
I like this class.

I might actually use this class.

[bookmark]

Stycotl
2008-02-21, 10:14 PM
thanks for the help with the weapon finesse issue. and i am glad you like it gwyn.

Stycotl
2008-03-01, 11:30 PM
ok, got rid of martial/simple weapon proficiencies, and gave the monk a variant on the warblade's weapon aptitude to fill in that gap next to unarmed strike at first level.

whaddya think? and do you think it rates full bab, or should i keep it at 3/4?

Stycotl
2008-03-20, 01:15 PM
well then. i'm going to default to my judgment and kick the bab back up to full.

Stycotl
2008-03-21, 12:59 AM
changed the haste ability accessed through legerity at 20th level so that you only get 1 round/2 levels/day, as opposed to 1/level. it was not originally supposed to be usable during every battle, and with the conservative number of encounters per day that i run, i decided that 20 rounds at 20th level was too much. dm's that run 4+ encounters/day might want to leave it at 1 round/level total.

Stycotl
2008-08-11, 03:56 PM
changed the haste ability accessed through legerity at 20th level so that you only get 1 round/2 levels/day, as opposed to 1/level. it was not originally supposed to be usable during every battle, and with the conservative number of encounters per day that i run, i decided that 20 rounds at 20th level was too much. dm's that run 4+ encounters/day might want to leave it at 1 round/level total.

well, that didn't work out as well as i thought it would. so it is back to 1/level, and it accesses the greater haste spell, instead of haste. that way, the monk can actually take advantage of the maneuverability that is its entire purpose.