PDA

View Full Version : Hextor

Cuddly
2008-02-18, 12:19 PM
Does anyone have any beta on Hextor? I've included a nation of his followers as a Major Plot device.

I've decided that they hate arcane magic of all types, are xenophobic, love gladiatorial combat, and fortresses.

For the sake of cosmological simplicity, I want to roll him up in to Baator, perhaps giving him his own divine realm therein (or does he dwell on Acheron or that plate of metal cubes?) or making him an actual Lord of the Nine (replace Dis, perhaps?).

However, that doesn't really work out too well with the rest of my storyline, and as I have limited time, would like to know if there's any good sources of fluff/crunch on the guy.

For the sake of thoroughness, the (convoluted) storyline, thus far:

Players are on a world that is the seat of Vecna worship, as he actually dwelled for sometime, aeons ago, in the south lands. They have come to learn of Asmodeous attmepting to release Tenebris from his imprisonment in the Void, where he will then reform with Orcus.

Asmodeous plans to do this by tricking his imprisoned Lord of the Nine (the one in the ice) into sacrificing himself at orcus' feet or something. Not all worked out, but I'd like to include Asmodeous' daughter and some horrid deeds too foul to contemplate.

Of course, Tenebris can only be released when the stars are right; namely, when the Dead Eye of Orcus rises- a moon of death and decay (portal to the plane of negative energy) that is only mentioned in apocryphal texts of rising every 1,001 years. When this happens the dead are foretold to rise and walk the earth on the 11 month of the 11 day of the 11 hour. Of course, the fact that Tenebris will be release on that very day means Atropus arrives to consume the world (there's a thing on wizards about elder evils that I'm totally going to rip my mechanics off).

The Vecna cultists have set up an Engima (major cult, essentially) in the lands of the Pelorites, and operate therein covertly, as a supposed order of paladins called the Left Hand of God. As an paramilitary force, they basically use the Church to monitor the forces of Good and Evil, while trying to figure out how to stop the Orcus Cultists.

Asmodeous benefits by all this because it means he will be allied with the Abyss, or at least most of it once Tenebris is released, and he can then turn his full attention on the forces of Good.

What I'm trying to figure out how to integrate into all this is:
The invading forces of Hextor. How much does Hextor know of this?
The imprisoned Dracolich beneath the fertile soils of Wellinken, and the essence of the Copper Dragon that inhabits the fighter's intelligent greataxe.

I'd like the Dracolich (formerly a Green) to be related to Hextor in someway, but am having some difficulty- the Green was an evil tyrant before the less monstrous humanoids arrived on the continent, who had become a lich. Rather than slay the Green outright, since the true phylactery couldn't be found, the Copper imprisoned the Green in an epic ritual involving man kobolds. The quest for the phylactery was subsequently interrupted by invading humans.

I was planning on having Hextor as a human deity, his idols crossing the sea with men, which would put the dracolich at odds with him and his followers. Which doesn't work- I need a reason for the agents of the Hextorites to pursue the party, since they'll need the sword to open the dracolich's tomb because they want to free him.

Also, the as yet unknown orcs(no orcs in the campaign setting, yet) are beginning a western push into the undiscovered Hobgoblin empire, as well as disrupting monster tribes far and wide, pushing them into more civilized land.

Any ideas?

Roderick_BR
2008-02-18, 12:49 PM
Hextor is in the Player's Handbook, though it's a very short description.
This Wiki entry has some more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hextor
Anything more, only with books like GreyHawk Gazzeter, that have expecific info on GreyHawk. There are some books about deities, but I don't know which one has Hextor.

Devils_Advocate
2008-02-18, 01:34 PM
By "beta" did you mean "data"?

There's a downloadable list of Living Greyhawk deities (http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip) on WotC's website. It has a fair bit to say about Hextor.

It doesn't give the gods' home planes, for whatever reason. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hextor), Hextor apparently lives in Acheron despite being "the Herald of Hell".

Keld Denar
2008-02-18, 01:42 PM
Hextor's either from Archeron, or keeps a summer home there. Archeron is an infinite 3D space filled with metal cubes of all sizes from 10'x10' to the size of a continent. They are in constant 3D motion bouncing and clanging on each other perpetually. On the surface of these are armies of humanoids, mostly hobgoblins, but often lead by devils, engaged in eternal war with each other for the glory of Hextor. The air is filled with the sounds of the great cubes colliding, and the sounds of great battles. A very Hextorian place.

What world does this take place in? If Greyhawk, the Pomarj is a mecca of Hextorian worship. Populated primarily by orcs, 1/2 orcs, and evil humans, it is a metropolis of tyranny. The Slavelords (pirates with yellow sails) regularly frequent Highport (I think) and take part in slave auctions there. People regularly disappear off the streets, only to reappear on the block as slaves, or to be found in a gutter with a shiv wound and a missing purse.

Dhavaer
2008-02-18, 02:40 PM
What world does this take place in? If Greyhawk, the Pomarj is a mecha of Hextorian worship.

I think you mean it's a 'Mecca'. Mecca is the holy city, a mecha is a giant robotic battlesuit.

SadisticFishing
2008-02-18, 02:46 PM
Alright, I didn't actually read the spoilered thing, so I apologize if this is stupid... But it sounds like you actually want Dis as your badguy, and not Hextor.

Armoury99
2008-02-18, 03:02 PM
Planewalker.com (http://www.planewalker.com/encyclopedia/encyclopedia.php?intEntryID=1802) has a little more information:

Hextor, god of war, discord, conflict, massacres, fitness, and tyranny, is half-brother to Heironeous and Stratis and son of Stern Alia. Jealous of his brother Heironeous's invulnerability, Hextor made a pact with the "Lords of Evil" for four extra arms, so that he could match Heironeous in combat. His alliance with the Lords of the Nine has granted him the title of Herald of Hell.

Although he visits Baator from time to time, Hextor's own stronghold is in Avalas in Acheron, a realm he calls Scourgehold. Scourgehold is a fortress of iron and stone on a cube where battle constantly rages; within, his troops constantly train for battle in a miles-wide coliseum of glass and bronze.

Sources

Living Greyhawk Gazetteer
http://www.wizards.com/rpga/downloads/LG_Deities.zip
Dragon #285 and #287
Bastion of Faith
Deities & Demigods (3rd edition)
World of Greyhawk boxed set (1983)
Manual of the Planes (3rd edition)

Hope that helps - he's in pretty deep with the Lords of the Nine, so your plot should work ok

Vectner
2008-02-18, 03:09 PM
You know you can homebrew any diety you want and call him Hextor or whatever else you want. It sounds like you have ahandle on what you want, just go with it, it's your campaign.

Cuddly
2008-02-18, 05:11 PM
You know you can homebrew any diety you want and call him Hextor or whatever else you want. It sounds like you have ahandle on what you want, just go with it, it's your campaign.

Yeah, but it's so much easier if someone else doe it for me:smalltongue:

Nerd-o-rama
2008-02-18, 05:25 PM
I think you mean it's a 'Mecca'. Mecca is the holy city, a mecha is a giant robotic battlesuit.
Hextor is the patron deity of the Zeon Axis.

Leon
2008-02-18, 08:25 PM
"Core Beliefs: Hextor." Dragon #356"

Person_Man
2008-02-19, 10:48 AM

I, for one, would gladly make a pilgrimage to any holy site named Mecha, or worship any god that actually flew around in one.