PDA

View Full Version : Cute Board Heroes: free, downloadable paper figures.

Jolly Steve
2008-02-18, 02:03 PM
Hi,

I've just uploaded a page of pictures that are designed to be printed out, cut out, folded, and used for role-playing (instead of having to buy figures).

It's at www.apolitical.info/webgame/heroes

As the name would imply, the idea is based on the defunct Cardboard Heroes.

Thanks to Vulion for the artwork.

Any feedback welcome. In particular, is the size about right?

Newtkeeper
2008-02-18, 02:22 PM
Nice. I never thought of using OotS style stick figures, but it seems like a great idea now that you point it out!

TheThan
2008-02-18, 02:28 PM
I made cut out trees. They didn’t work well because I printed them on regular printer paper, and the air conditioning/fans etc blew them around.

However if I printed them on stock paper or something thicker they would have been perfect.

Farmer42
2008-02-18, 03:09 PM
Those are really nifty. They look really nice, and they'd be much better than having to figure out which die is which player.

I made cut out trees. They didn’t work well because I printed them on regular printer paper, and the air conditioning/fans etc blew them around.

However if I printed them on stock paper or something thicker they would have been perfect.

You can also tape a penny inside on the bottom to keep them from flying around too easily.

Glawackus
2008-02-18, 04:33 PM
...This is so awesome. The artwork is a genius choice, and I've been looking for a site where you don't have to go through any micropayments or any other silliness.

Make more? Please? :smallredface:

AKA_Bait
2008-02-18, 04:50 PM
You know... you could probably make some money off of custom creating these things for peoples individual characters... just saying...

Venerable
2008-02-18, 05:29 PM
After I made OotS-style avatars of each of my party's characters, another player printed them and made them into figures with their own bases. Quite nifty.

[Of course, a session or two after that, one player switched to a new character, so I had to make a new avatar. This was the player who gave the fewest suggestions of what his character looked like. :smallmad:]

A suggestion: make both front & back views of the characters, rather than having black backs. Example:

https://thorgolucky.com/~cheesebrains/Olthgi.OotS.2views.png

It's more work, but they're easier to identify from the back.

kamikasei
2008-02-18, 05:39 PM
I did something like this for my players and monsters, but just with the standard board avatars, and just as flat grid-square-sized tokens. The fold-to-stand approach looks much better, and I will probably have to steal it at some point. :smallwink:

Jolly Steve
2008-02-19, 07:45 AM
You can also tape a penny inside on the bottom to keep them from flying around too easily.

Good idea - I'll put that on the instructions.

Jolly Steve
2008-02-19, 07:55 AM
...This is so awesome. The artwork is a genius choice, and I've been looking for a site where you don't have to go through any micropayments or any other silliness.

Make more? Please? :smallredface:

Thanks! I'll try and get some more...

Thiel
2008-02-19, 08:18 AM
If you make the base 1 inch by 1 inch they'd fit on most battle grids.
Other than that, I think it's a great idea.
Hmm, I think my avatar would make a great fire elemental.

3Power
2008-02-20, 12:15 AM
If I remember correctly, this was one of Burlew's uses for his stick figure design before OOTS was started.

evisiron
2008-02-20, 12:40 AM
Haha, those are awesome! Please upload more :smallbiggrin:
Perhaps the 'standard' pictures plastered all over the PHB would be a good idea for future stick-figures (pun totally intended :smallamused: )

Glawackus
2008-02-20, 07:51 AM
I was thinking the other night that it'd be neat if you could get everyone in the avatar forums or whatever the term for that group is to each do one monster or a race/class combination. (User X does human fighter, User Y does elf fighter, User Z does aboleth), and so on.

I bet if you got enough people going you could have a ton of the monsters/possible combinations done, and then people would love you forever. :smallsmile:

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-20, 10:33 AM
Even if you print them on normal paper, remember that you can use old postcards, or whatever leftover newspaper-type stuff you have available around the house as added weight.:smallbiggrin:

Jolly Steve
2008-02-20, 12:33 PM
If I remember correctly, this was one of Burlew's uses for his stick figure design before OOTS was started.

I originally suggested that he do a Cardboard Heroes style product. Someone else suggested the same thing later, but there was no response either time, which was why I went ahead with this.

Jolly Steve
2008-02-22, 09:33 AM
Thanks! I'll try and get some more...

There are now more sets (same page - www.apolitical.info/webgame/heroes ), hopefully with more to come.