{table]Level | Special Abilities | Fast Healing | Special Qualities
1 | Draw Pain |+1 |
2 | Draw Weakness |+2 | Immunity to Ability damage
3 | Draw Sickness | +3 | Immunity to Disease and Poison
4 | Inflict |+4|
5 | Recall to Life |+5 | Damage reduction: 2/-[/table]

Abilities:
Draw Pain:
As a standard action, a Curator may touch an injured being and heal them, taking their wounds upon himself. The injured being is healed for as many hitpoints as the Curator desires, up to the Curator's current health total, and the Curator takes that much damage. The Curator cannot reduce his HP to below 0 by this method. The Curator then gains a Fast healing of [healed hitpoints / 5] for 5 rounds. This fast healing replaces any fast healing the Curator has if it is greater than that fast healing.

Draw Weakness:
As a standard action, a Curator may touch a being who has suffered some sort of ability damage and take that damage upon himself. This works for as many points of damage as the Curator wishes, up to the Curator's ability score -1. The Curator cannot reduce any of his ability scores below 1 in this way. Any ability damage the Curator takes in this fashion heals at a rate of 1 point / ability score / minute.

Draw Sickness
As a full-round action, the Curator may assume the disease or poison another is carrying. To do this, a Curator must do at least 1 point of damage to himself and the sick individual with a piercing or slashing object. By touching the wounds together, the Curator may rid the individual of it's disease / poison and take it upon himself. For all purposes, the Curator is treated as if he had just contracted the disease / poison. The Curator gains a +10 bonus to Fortitude saves to resist the disease / poison.

Inflict:
As a full round action, the Curator may inflict Pain, Weakness, or Sickness that he has taken from one being onto another. To inflict any of these, the Curator must make a successful unarmed attack against his opponent. This attack deals no damage. Special: To inflict Sickness, both the Curator and the individual must have taken at least 1 point of damage from a piercing or slashing weapon. The Curator is healed of anything that he inflicts. He may only inflict 1 affect at a time. He may only inflict 1 / day / Curator level

Recall to life:
A fully healed Curator may call a dead being back to life. This process takes one day and requires the body of the dead being, which must be mostly whole. At the end of the day, both the Curator and the being are alive, at 0 HP, and all ability scores are at 1. These heal at a normal rate for both participants.

Note on immunities: A curator is not immune to anything he Draws from another being. That's what the bonuses for recovery symbolize.

Note on immunity to ability damage: This applies to anything that would reduce one of his ability scores, other than draw weakness, of course.

Fluffy-ness:
I see Curator's as nomadic people. Not that they're a tribe themselves, but that they spontaneously appear in the normal ranks of a tribes healers. They are usually received well, though some are feared for their ability to inflict.

IC (the beginning of a Curator): Bob the healer considered the child on the bed. The child had broken her leg in a rabbit hole earlier that day, and sat crying. Speaking soothingly to her, Bob had a sudden urge simply to touch the wound. The urge persisted until finally he gave in. To his amazement, when he touched the wound it simply disappeared. He felt a sudden, sharp, horrible pain in his leg though, and, to his horror, found that his leg was broken instead. To amazed to cry out, Bob was in for another shock: as he watched, his leg mended completely! Not even a scar was left.

I would like thoughts on Inflict; I don't want it to be underpowered, but I think it could get overpowered as is. I also need a new name for the class, and quick.

I got this idea from a Broken Sky novel I read a couple of years ago, in case anyone was wondering.

Icewalker
2008-02-18, 07:40 PM
Very cool, possibly underpowered except for Inflict which is OP, and the name sucks.

:smallbiggrin:

The first three, drawing, are all really interesting and excellent, as well as balanced. Inflict though, just lets you transfer any damage you have to anyone else. The part could just team up before a fight, beat the crap out of the Curator, then cast True Strike, and have a really powerful attack. (If the wound transferred has to once have been another's, they can beat the crap out of a different party member, have the Curator take it, then transfer it)

How about a maximum inflict of something like 5 damage/total level

The ability damage inflict has the same problem, on an even more severe scale. Massive ability damage on a target. Perhaps 2 ability damage/level of Curator.

Also, considering that they take pain onto themselves, I think they'd have more than d6 hit dice. Probably d8.

I like it, and the final ability is quite cool, but it feels lacking. I'm not sure.

mikeejimbo
2008-02-18, 07:41 PM
Instead of changing the name, you could change the whole class to be a museum administrator.

Since you want some PEACHes, I'll give some to you. I like the idea of a martyr class, and I don't think Inflict is overpowered. There are spells that are touch attacks, that are much more painful.

Also, how does Draw Weakness/Sickness work with their immunities? Don't they just not contract it?

Edit: Scratch that last one, I didn't see the note at the bottom.

Icewalker
2008-02-18, 07:43 PM
The damage part of inflict may not be, but the ability damage part is open to abuse. Take all but 1 con damage on a high-con character, cast True Strike, dump...say 17 con damage on your target? Or possibly much more?

Of course, you need somebody in the party who can start by beating down an ability score, which is sometimes hard to do, but not too much. Shivering Touch works for Dex at least.

mikeejimbo
2008-02-18, 07:51 PM
Or you could just cast Shivering Touch on the target to begin with, is my point.

Fiery Diamond
2008-02-18, 09:25 PM
I agree with mikeejimbo. Inflict isn't overpowered, especially when you compare it to sor/wiz spells. Which brings me to my point - in order to prevent abuse, rather than having a max amount of damage/ability damage that you can inflict, limit the number of times you can use the ability per day. Then the ability will have less potential for abuse.

I think that this is a pretty cool prestige class. I think it's actually underpowered compared to most prestige classes. This is mainly because you lose spellcasting progression if you're a caster. I suggest either adding some spells or upping the fast healing and giving the class a couple boosts of some kind. As is, I wouldn't even take time out of being a fighter for this class because of the lower BAB.

Also, you should keep the name. Just because it's funny.

-Fiery Diamond

Parvum
2008-02-18, 10:40 PM
Should note that this is not a caster specific, which I think should lead to interesting builds...

How many people would dip for some fast healing?

The Curator is silly. The Sponge is better. Everyone likes having a Sponge around. Sponge.

mikeejimbo
2008-02-18, 11:07 PM
Yeah, a limit on the number of times per day would be good. Especially if he's healed when he does the damage inflict, because I was just thinking about ability damage rather than pure HP.

Bandededed
2008-02-19, 09:31 AM
Ok, changes for this update:

Full BAB - warrior healer?

HD = d8. Maybe a Bonus equal to Curator level, but that's up for debate.

Fast Healing: 1 / level.

I'm not sure about inflict, because even if you would have to take an ally's ability damage, since he's immune to it himself by that level. I think there's another type, ability drain or some such, and he should be immune to that as well.

To do this you'd have to do significant before battle preperation, and the Curator heals any he takes at 1 / minute.

Edit: I'm thinking 1/day/curator level for inflict, which I forgot to add before i hit post

Edit2: He still needs a better name, because sponge would just be silly :smalltongue:. I believe they were called the Del'Jaka in the books, but I have no idea where that came from or what it means....

BisectedBrioche
2008-02-19, 10:21 AM
A couple of suggestions for a name;

Mad doctors
Shock docs
Pain eaters
Wound drainers

Parvum
2008-02-19, 09:07 PM
To do this you'd have to do significant before battle preperation, and the Curator heals any he takes at 1 / minute.

Mrh? I am confused. Is this regarding health? Fast healing is per round. Augh! The part of my brain that thinks!

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-19, 09:13 PM
Pain eater is an awesome name. I may steal it.

Bandededed
2008-02-19, 10:49 PM
Mrh? I am confused. Is this regarding health? Fast healing is per round. Augh! The part of my brain that thinks!

:smalleek: sorry! It's supposed to be regarding ability damage/drain/whatnot. It's in the draw weakness description.

Those are some good names, Bisected8, but they're not really what I'm looking for.

I've been trying to find the Japanese word for healer - I'm rather partial to Japanese words, despite not speaking it - but I'm not having much luck

Edit: I found one translation, and it fits nicely, though I haven't made up my mind about it yet: きとうし - which is Kitoushi romanized. (Pronounciation key for anyone: key-toe-oo-shi. Just in case :smallwink:)