PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Hyena [Monster]

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-02-18, 07:38 PM
This creature just occurred to me randomly. The incorporeal ability is the key feature - sort of a twisted blink dog. Its other abilities are based on common myths about normal hyenas. I do need some help figuring out an appropriate CR. Any other suggestions are also welcome.

GHOST HYENA
http://www.gorbashkazdar.com/ironavatar/ghost-hyena.gif
MEDIUM MAGICAL BEAST
HD 4d10+8 (30 hp)
Speed 50 ft. (10 squares)
Init: +2
AC 16 (+2 Dex, +4 natural); touch 12; flat-footed 14
BAB +4; Grp +6
Attack Bite +6 melee (1d6+3)
Full-Attack Bite +6 melee (1d6+3)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks Haunting cackle, trip
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft., ghost form, low-light vision, scent
Saves Fort +6 Ref +6 Will +2
Abilities Str 14, Dex 15, Con 15, Int 3, Wis 13, Cha 8
Skills Hide +5*, Listen +5, Spot +5
Feats Alertness, Track
Environment Warm deserts
Organization Solitary, pair, or pack (7-16)
Challenge Rating ?
Treasure None
Alignment N
Advancement 5-6 HD (medium), 7-8 HD (large)

This eerie looking hyena has bright, glowing yellow eyes and gray and black fur. With a disturbing cackle, its form seems to fade, until you can see right through it.

Ghost hyenas are magical relatives of the more common scavengers. Their existence accounts for many of the darker myths told about their cousins. Ghost hyenas possess a malevolent cunning, and will hunt almost anything that moves. They use trickery to lure prey to its death, and their amazing ability to become incorporeal makes them difficult to kill.

Ghost hyenas typically lair in caverns or buried tombs that lack entrances, entering and leaving at will thanks to their ghost form ability. Adventurers are often rudely surprised when the stumble upon a pack while exploring abandoned ruins. The danger is often exacerbated as ghost hyenas are often mistaken for undead by the unfamiliar, leading opponents to waste time on ineffective tactics.

Combat
Ghost hyenas typically use their sound imitation ability to lure in prey. Once they have identified a target, one member of the pack will begin emitting cries of distress. As the prey approaches, other pack members use their ghost form ability to stealthily encircle it. Once fully surrounded, the ghost hyenas will attack. If there are enough pack members - at least twice as many as there is prey - half of the pack will hang back the first round and use their haunting cackle. Typically, two or more hyenas will attack each creature, using ghost form to set up flanking situations. If the fight goes badly for the pack, the ghost hyenas will attempt to flee, again using their ghost form ability to make following them difficult.

Ghost Form (Su): As a swift action, a ghost hyena can become incorporeal for one round.

Haunting Cackle (Ex): As a standard action, a ghost hyena can emit a disturbing cackling sound that affects any creature within 60 feet of the hyena who can hear it. The affected creature must make a successful Will save (DC 11) or become shaken. Success indicates that the target is immune to that ghost hyena's haunting cackle for one day. Multiple ghost hyenas can work together to frighten opponents and prey more effectively. Up to five other ghost hyenas can join in with the cackling, increasing the DC by 1 for each additional hyena cackling at once. If a character succeeds in the save against a haunting cackle, the character is also immune to the haunting cackles of any ghost hyenas aiding the primary creature. This is a sonic mind-affecting effect.

Sound Imitation (Ex): A ghost hyena can mimic any voice or animal cry it has heard, anytime it likes. They use this ability to lure victims, and are cunning enough to use calls for help and other sounds of distress when hunting. However, they lack the intelligence to respond properly if a listener responds. Additionally, a Listen check of DC 15 detects the ruse.

Trip (Ex): A ghost hyena that hits with its bite attack can attempt to trip the opponent (+2 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip the ghost hyena.

Skills: Hyenas have a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks in areas of tall grass or heavy undergrowth.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-18, 08:11 PM
I like it. I would raise the DC for Haunting Cackle slightly, and say CR 4 or 3, but that's just from a quick eyeball.

Gorbash Kazdar
2008-02-19, 09:23 AM
I like it. I would raise the DC for Haunting Cackle slightly, and say CR 4 or 3, but that's just from a quick eyeball.
I was thinking maybe CR 3, but I'm not very good at figuring appropriate CRs. It's a bit tougher than a blink dog, but I think a blink dog's magical abilities may be a bit stronger.

As for the haunting cackle, I really wanted it to be a group attack more than something a single hyena would use, but I'll have to think about it.

togapika
2008-02-19, 09:27 AM
Now I just want to play some crazy insane ghost halfling or summat who rides one of these with a magic item so he doesn't fall off if it goes incorporeal.
Madness... or genius