PDA

View Full Version : Jumper [Template]

Ninjalitude
2008-02-18, 11:12 PM
I just got back from my new-favorite-movie; Jumper. It was so cool the DM side of my brain automatically began to stat their jumping abilities. Here's what i came up with. comments are good and criticisms are good to, as long as their not to hurtful to my ego:smalltongue: .

Type: changes to augmented-(whatever they were originally) i.e. Augmented Humanoid.

Size: remains same

Jump (Su): By some kind of genetic mutation, Jumpers are able to create short-lived wormholes that allow them (and a certain amount of cargo) to teleport at will.
Treat Jump as a Greater teleport spell except for the following:
If the distance is over a mile than it takes a full round to Jump.
If the distance is between a mile to 100 feet it takes a move action.
If the distance is within 100 feet than it only takes a free action. A jumper may not Jump more than once per round. A jumper may take himself +10 pounds of cargo per HD with him during any given Jump.
A jumper may take unwilling people with him, as long as they fail a will save DC 10+1/2 jumpers HD + cha mod.

Explosive Entrance: sometimes jumps can shove whatever is close to the jump site away quite forcefully. If a jumper jumps over a mile (or if they just want to blast some people away) when they have reached their destination every creature in a 5-foot radius must make a reflex save DC 15+ 1/2 jumpers HD + cha mod or be thrown back 1d4x5 feet taking 1d6 damage every 5 feet thrown back, Objects are affected if their individual weight doesn't go over the amount of cargo a jumper can take with him on a Jump. This ability can be suppressed if the jumper is traveling less than a mile but it can also be un-suppressed whenever the jumper feels the need. More inexperienced Jumpers that have a HD of less than 3 cannot suppress Explosive Entrance but once they have achieved an HD of 3 it is assumed they have some control over the explosions their passage triggers.

Jumpscar: After every Jump, a small 'Jumpscar' is left, clearly visible to any other Jumper's, or anyone with Detect Magic effect on. There is a Jumpscar on both sides of the jump; one where the Jumper jumped from, and one where he Jjumped to. This Jumpscar lasts 1d4+1 rounds after the Jump was made. When Jumper in contact with a Jumpscar tries to Jump, he will end up at the other matching Jumpscar. If a Jumpscar is used this way, it will last another 1d4+1 rounds after the second Jump.

Flit: By using a series of 5 foot jumps a jumper can make a move in any direction. You can move up to 100 feet. If this movement is used as part of a charge than the target of the charge is considered flat-footed. This movement does not trigger attacks of opportunity. This kind of movement can be used 1/day + 1 use per 3 HD. Flitting requires a move action. By using Explosive entrance with this a jumper may essentially make a 15 foot thick swathe of destruction around them when they flit.

Evasion: due to the fact that the jumper can leave reality almost instantaneously he is granted evasion, as the rouge ability.

Weaknesses: if a jumper takes more than his HD in electricity damage he must wait 1d4 rounds to use his Jump ability.

Level adjustment: +5?

anything anyone would like to add?

Haruspex
2008-02-18, 11:31 PM
Hmm. Looks very powerful in terms of mobility. Greater Teleport at will is not to be taken lightly. By LA, a level 1 Jumper Rogue is equivalent to a level 6 Rogue? Combat usage is limited, so it could be alright. But in terms of utility it is major.

Are objects affected by the explosive entrance? I can see a jumper tearing a castle to pieces by jumping around it.

mroozee
2008-02-19, 12:44 AM
I just got back from my new-favorite-movie; Jumper. It was so cool the DM side of my brain automatically began to stat their jumping abilities. Here's what i came up with. comments are good and criticisms are good to, as long as their not to hurtful to my ego:smalltongue: .

Type: changes to augmented-(whatever they were originally) i.e. Augmented Humanoid.

Size: remains same

Jump (Su): By some kind of genetic mutation, Jumpers are able to create short-lived wormholes that allow them (and a certain amount of cargo) to teleport at will.
Treat Jump as a Greater teleport spell except for the following:
If the distance is over a mile than it takes a full round to Jump.
If the distance is between a mile to 100 feet it takes a move action.
If the distance is within 100 feet than it only takes a free action. A jumper may not Jump more than once per round. A jumper may take himself +10 pounds of cargo per HD with him during any given Jump.

Explosive Entrance: sometimes jumps can shove whatever is close to the jump site away quite forcefully. If a jumper jumps over a mile (or if they just want to blast some people away) when they have reached their destination every creature in a 5-foot radius must make a reflex save DC 15+jumpers HD or be thrown back 1d4x5 feet taking 1d6 damage every 5 feet thrown back. This ability can be suppressed if the jumper is traveling less than a mile but it can also be un-suppressed whenever the jumper feels the need.

Jumpscar: when the jumper uses Jump it is possible for another jumper to trace the 1st jumpers jump by the quickly fading rip in reality that the original jumpers Jump caused. After a Jump, a scar in the space-time-continuum is left that is clearly visible to another jumper. Another jumper may follow the 1st jumper if they can find the jumpscar before it fades (it fades after 1d4 rounds).

Evasion: due to the fact that the jumper can leave reality almost instantaneously he is granted evasion, as the rouge ability.

Level adjustment: +5?

anything anyone would like to add?

One major concern would be having a PC take Leadership and using the Jumper as their Cohort. It's hard to find something directly comparable. Perhaps the closest comparison is with a Unicorn which has a (cohort) Level Adjustment of +4. Are they about equal? I think the Jumper would be far more useful - even with the +1 LA difference.

As I think about it, this guy is a Halfling killer. Grapple / Teleport is pretty brutal. Where do you teleport to? 100 feet up in the air as a free action is pretty effective. A mile as a move action SHOULD be death, but 20d6 and out of the fight will have to do. The full round teleport means you go DEEP underwater in the middle of the ocean, or above a volcano, or into a buried casket, or to the surface of the moon... before teleporting back next round.

Basically, any dungeon he enters, he barricades the first encounter room and uses that as his target to Jump to short before teleporting home in a pinch. You also have the problem that we saw with Haydn Christiansen (and I don't mean the bad acting). He jumps into a vault, steals everything, and jumps home. WBL won't mean much.

At the very least, you might want to put a DC "15+Damage Taken" Concentration check to Jump. You might also want to put a limit on the number of destinations he can Jump to beyond 100 feet without some visual image.

Icewalker
2008-02-19, 01:55 AM
Hmm...I never really knew much about this movie. Just watched the preview. Was it good?

I've never been good at measuring LA, so my comment isn't valuable there. Interesting abilities though, I like it. Sets up well for an adventure or multiple ones, based on the one-sentence summary off IMDB (war between jumpers and people who want to kill them).

Ninjalitude
2008-02-19, 09:49 PM
Hmm. Looks very powerful in terms of mobility. Greater Teleport at will is not to be taken lightly. By LA, a level 1 Jumper Rogue is equivalent to a level 6 Rogue? Combat usage is limited, so it could be alright. But in terms of utility it is major.

Are objects affected by the explosive entrance? I can see a jumper tearing a castle to pieces by jumping around it.
interesting, what about objects that weigh less than the total amount of weight he can take with him on a jump?

Shraik
2008-02-19, 10:06 PM
The problem with the once per round thing, is that when Griffin is fighting Roland, he jumps a decen five times in a straight line to charge him. He does this in only 2 seconds maybe. Also, there should be rules for bang depending on HD. In beginning, the bang resulting from a jump always happens. But when David is older, he can prevent Jump's bang effect if he wants to.

Uncle Festy
2008-02-19, 10:42 PM
If the distance is within 100 feet than it only takes a free action. A jumper may not Jump more than once per round.

That's basically a swift action.

Ninjalitude
2008-02-19, 11:07 PM
The problem with the once per round thing, is that when Griffin is fighting Roland, he jumps a decen five times in a straight line to charge him. He does this in only 2 seconds maybe. Also, there should be rules for bang depending on HD. In beginning, the bang resulting from a jump always happens. But when David is older, he can prevent Jump's bang effect if he wants to.

Ok what about this

Flit: By using a series of 5 foot jumps a jumper can make a move in any direction. You can move up to 100 feet. If this movement is used as part of a charge than the target of the charge is considered flat-footed. This movement does not trigger attacks of opportunity. This kind of movement can be used 1/day + 1 use per 2 HD. Flitting requires a move action. By using Explosive entrance with this a jumper may essentially make a 15 foot thick swathe of destruction around them when they flit.

Edited above post to add rules for explosive entrance-hit dice rules

Ninjalitude
2008-02-19, 11:21 PM
As I think about it, this guy is a Halfling killer. Grapple / Teleport is pretty brutal. Where do you teleport to? 100 feet up in the air as a free action is pretty effective. A mile as a move action SHOULD be death, but 20d6 and out of the fight will have to do. The full round teleport means you go DEEP underwater in the middle of the ocean, or above a volcano, or into a buried casket, or to the surface of the moon... before teleporting back next round.
(apologizes in advance for the double post)

i did put a weight limit on how much he could carry with him on a jump, the average meat shield weighs about 150-200 pounds, excluding bulky armor and the like. You have to factor in the fact that before you could pull off extreme grapple/teleport-way-up-high maneuvers you would be above level 20.

mroozee
2008-02-20, 01:36 AM

i did put a weight limit on how much he could carry with him on a jump, the average meat shield weighs about 150-200 pounds, excluding bulky armor and the like. You have to factor in the fact that before you could pull off extreme grapple/teleport-way-up-high maneuvers you would be above level 20.

I'm not worried about Thog, I'm worried about Belkar. Halflings only weigh 30 or so pounds and they have a size disadvantage when they grapple most PC's.

mroozee
2008-02-20, 01:40 AM

i did put a weight limit on how much hhttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=3961195
Loading...e could carry with him on a jump, the average meat shield weighs about 150-200 pounds, excluding bulky armor and the like. You have to factor in the fact that before you could pull off extreme grapple/teleport-way-up-high maneuvers you would be above level 20.

I'm not worried about Thog, I'm worried about Belkar. Halflings only weigh 30 or so pounds and they have a size disadvantage when they grapple most PC's.

Bushwhacked
2008-02-20, 11:15 AM
First note i've not seen the movie yet either but I like the flitting addition. Perhaps instead of the current effects it could be: Doubles your normal movement and also minimum movements for effect to occour ie. charging and jumping. For instance if you take a five foot step then you can instead make a 10 foot step, if you charge for 60 feet then instead you charge for 120 feet and must move more than 20 feet. Additionally you can ignore any five foot square of difficult or impassible terrain and you gain partial concealment until the start of your next round.
Other rules and restrictions as stated.

GimliFett
2008-02-20, 11:52 AM
A suggestion: Tie the distance jumpable to HD. That way they start off with effectively a dimension leap, then it grows to dimension door and teleport. You might also consider a save for anyone who doesn't wish to be jumped, along the lines of baleful transposition, DC 10+ 1/2 HD + Cha mod.

Ninjalitude
2008-02-20, 01:31 PM
A suggestion: Tie the distance jumpable to HD. That way they start off with effectively a dimension leap, then it grows to dimension door and teleport. You might also consider a save for anyone who doesn't wish to be jumped, along the lines of baleful transposition, DC 10+ 1/2 HD + Cha mod.

I would use your first suggestion, but in the movie there is no range limit, even when they first discover how.

But your second suggestion i can use. I'll update it

GimliFett
2008-02-20, 01:40 PM
I would use your first suggestion, but in the movie there is no range limit, even when they first discover how.

But your second suggestion i can use. I'll update it

Fair 'nuff. Just tryin' to keep the flavor but allow it to scale with levels/HD.

As for the second, glad to help out. Remember to make sure unwilling folks count against weight limits...

Ninjalitude
2008-02-20, 08:40 PM
Edited above posts after seeing movie a second time.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-20, 09:35 PM
I liked this movie.

Jumpscar needs to be worded more clearly.

Add that "Flit" ability, but make it also have a bonus to attack and damage.

Zyks
2008-02-21, 05:03 AM
I loved that film, and I was actually thinking of doing this myself. :smalltongue:

Well done, you beat me to it :smallbiggrin:

MagFlare
2008-02-22, 05:53 PM
As currently written, the Jumper can take along an unwilling guest only if that guest succeeds at a Will save. Surely that's supposed to be the other way around?

Collin152
2008-02-22, 06:24 PM
This should probably modify challenge rating to soem extent.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-22, 09:54 PM
That was most likely a typo.

PirateMonk
2008-02-22, 10:11 PM
I assume this can only be applied to humanoids, but you should probably specify.

Ninjalitude
2008-02-23, 02:43 PM
edited to include advice

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-23, 03:26 PM
Jumpscar- After every Jump, a small 'Jumpscar' is left, clearly visible to any other Jumper's, or anyone with Detect Magic effect on. There is a Jumpscar on both sides of the jump; one where the Jumper jumped from, and one where he Jjumped to. This Jumpscar lasts 1d4+1 rounds after the Jump was made. When Jumper in contact with a Jumpscar tries to Jump, he will end up at the other matching Jumpscar. If a Jumpscar is used this way, it will last another 1d4+1 rounds after the second Jump.

Reworded to be clearer.

Ninjalitude
2008-02-23, 06:07 PM
Hey, what about this.

Jumper feats

Extra (inanimate) Cargo (Jumper)
Benefit: your ability to carry inanimate cargo has been honed to the point that you can jump huge loads. Your capacity to take inanimate objects with you increases from 10 pounds per level to 50 pounds per level.

chain flit (Jumper)
Requires: HD +5
Benefit: By using the speed that you have gained by flitting, you have been able to break up your flits into 50 foot increments. You may move 50 feet in the first flit, make a standard attack with the bonuses from flitting, and then, at the cost of another use of flit you may jump another 50 feet and make another standard attack. But after using chain flit you have gained so much momentum you must use another use of flit or be flung 4d4x5 feet and take 1d6 damage for every space you were thrown back. the final equation for how many uses of flit it takes to chain flit is: Number of 50 foot increments + 1 for slowing down = number of uses that you must use to chain flit.

Anyone have any more? Ill add some later

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2008-02-23, 08:38 PM
Chain Flit doesn't seem very useful. How do you see it being used?

McMindflayer
2008-02-23, 10:58 PM
Just want to put out there that there was a book. And it was first. And It is NOTHING like the movie. Still not a bad movie. The Book is good too, Look it up. It's called "Jumper" (There is a David Rice. A drunk father, A different Millie, And yes, he stole about a million dollars... and that's as far as the comparison goes.)

And in the book, there is a little more limitations on jumping. I won't even go into carrying Inertia. Here's some that you can incorporate that will still fit the fluff
You can't jump anywhere you haven't seen with your own eyes. (I.e. you can't jump to london by only using a picture.)
You can't jump when connected to something permenent. (I.e. you can't jump while tied to a tree.)

Ninjalitude
2008-02-25, 09:07 PM
Chain Flit doesn't seem very useful. How do you see it being used?

Think, 5 adventurers people minding there own business, and BOOM! their campsite explodes as all of it is thrown around with Explosive entrance and each of them have a poisoned dagger in their chest. and they still have no idea what happened :smallamused:.

Ninjalitude
2008-02-26, 09:48 AM
Anyone else have any feat ideas that they would like to share?