PDA

View Full Version : [Race] Autaran [PEACH]

Lappy9000
2008-02-19, 01:22 AM
If you want to use my home-brew in your campaign, do it, just send me a PM telling me if you liked it!

"We will endure where the natural struggles to thrive" -Augranus, autaran druid.

Autaran
Autaran are the ultimate survivors. An innate connection with nature has allowed the autaran to survive in the harshest of climates. Whether they reside in icy fortresses in the frigid northern tundra or in stone-hewn pueblos in arid deserts, native life seems to thrive near the autaran in these seemingly barren wastelands.
Personality: Autaran often see themselves as wardens of nature. They live in simple tribal societies and are content to make their dwellings in union with nature, as opposed to clashing against it. Autaran are often warm and caring and are not easily angered or put off. Indeed, an autaran can remain eerily composed even during the gravest situations.
Physical Description: Autaran are thin, light-skinned humanoids, and are very tall, with heights ranging from around 6’5” to 7’3”. They are digitigrades have three elongated fingers and a thumb per hand. Autaran faces are very flat, with large grey-tinted eyes, and never grow facial hair but have thin hair in hues of bluish-gray and light blonde upon their heads. They also tend to have wide mouths and naturally elongated earlobes.
Relations: Autaran tend to get along well enough with other races. Autaran love the company of Halflings and welcome elves, though they find them a bit haughty. While they are not nearly as outgoing as halflings, autaran are amiable when dealing with strangers. However, anyone wishing to do harm to an autaran or autaran village will find themselves greeted with a far different sort of welcome. Autaran have an unusual sense of racial unity, greeting members of the same tribe as brothers and sisters, while addressing members of another village as cousins.
Alignment: Many autaran lean towards good due to their placid dispositions, however a sizable number of autaran are true neutral in favor of cultural druidic traditions. However, the druidic inclination to purge the world of the unnatural can drive many autaran toward more malicious pursuits.
Autaran Lands: While they once hailed bountiful forests, autaran now live wherever natural life struggles to survive. From frozen wastelands to the desert wilderness, and even within the confines of a metropolis, autaran have taken it upon themselves to practice the art of natural preservation.
Religion: Autaran revere nature in its purest since. Because of this, few autaran practice the doctrine of deities.
Language: Autaran have no language of their own and rarely write but often speak a mix of Common and Sylvan. Due to the lack of a written language, autaran pass on their history in the form of stories and songs. Depending where an autaran is from, she may pick up inklings of all sorts of languages and use them interchangeably. An autaran who is perfectly fluent in Elven may trail off into Terran without even knowing it.
Names: Autaran often find little importance for names and have no surnames because, after all, they all see themselves as one extended family. Some autaran adopt nicknames given to them by friends of other races but they usually see think of themselves by their natural-born title.
Male Names: Algir, Aruus, Augranus, Baryus, Galhirr, Hierus, Iraus, Ragar, Rayus, Sirun, Torayan.
Female Names: Auldora, Birra, Diggora, Gallhaya, Lirea, Sebyl, Soryea, Taiyra.
Adventurers: An autaran often leaves her village to take up the task of defending nature, seeking life that is struggling to survive. Other autaran attempt to protect nature by destroying the unnatural that would ruin the natural order. Autaran are most often druids, though some pursue more martial classes such as ranger or barbarian. Autaran rarely become clerics or pursue the arcane arts.

Autaran Racial Traits
• Medium: As Medium creatures, autaran have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
• Autaran base land speed is 30 feet.
• Low-Light Vision: An autaran can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. She retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
• +1 racial bonus on Listen and Spot checks.
• +2 racial bonus on Survival checks.
• Spell-Like Abilities: Natural Endurance. Functions as Endure Elements spell. The effect lasts as if cast daily, but affects the individual autaran only. Equipment worn by an autaran is not affected by Natural Endurance.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Elven, Gnoll, and Terran.
• Favored Class: Druid. A multiclass autaran’s druid class does not count when determining whether she takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.
• ECL: +0

Altair_the_Vexed
2008-02-19, 06:57 AM
I had to come peek. :smallbiggrin:
Very interesting...

It looks balanced (at a glance). I like the fluff for the most part.

One thing about the "Altair lands" - what you're proposing is that the Altair are encouraging biodiversity, growth of plants and flourishing of animals in areas that are largely otherwise barren, yes?
This seems to me more of a task that the Altair do than a land from which the race comes. The true nature of a natural desert or icy tundra is barren, after all. What the Altair seem to be doing (in your description) is trying to make it different - to bring life where there was little before. That's a very interesting idea - almost like a sci-fi terra-forming project...

Perhaps the Altair are from a mild, lush land, but they seek out barren places and try to encourage and protect the living things that are there.
With this sort of outlook, they become active (if slow and placid) promoters of living things, rather than defenders.

Just a few ideas. What do you think?

Lappy9000
2008-02-19, 10:08 AM
Perhaps the Altair are from a mild, lush land, but they seek out barren places and try to encourage and protect the living things that are there.
With this sort of outlook, they become active (if slow and placid) promoters of living things, rather than defenders.

Ooh, thank you, that's perfect!

And I'm glad you approve of the name :smalltongue:

Lappy9000
2008-02-19, 10:34 PM
I'm not shamelessly bumping here. I'm just peeved at myself for not noticing this earlier. Altair...altair....now where (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assassin%27s_Creed) does that name sound familiar?

D'oh.

Fortunatly this always happens (and I mean always), so I've got a few extra names for the race on hand. I kinda like Autaran better anyway (well, now that I'm avoiding copyright infringement anyways).

Psionic Dog
2008-02-20, 08:10 AM
I'll second that this is indeed a balanced +0 race, spell-like abilities and all.

The only change I can think of is an expanded bonus language list. With only 4 bonus languages an Autaran with an 18 int would know every possible language. Try adding one or two others to the list.

Lappy9000
2008-02-20, 09:14 AM
Duly noted. Thanks very much for your input.