PDA

View Full Version : The Order of the Stick: June

Pages : [1] 2

davericsdamsel
2004-06-01, 10:22 AM
;D

Bogotter
2004-06-01, 10:34 AM
This topic has been officially made a STICKY!

EWWWWWWWW!

mossfoot
2004-06-01, 11:15 AM
Don't worry, I got some soap that can clean that right up, Bogotter ;)

Zherog
2004-06-01, 11:47 AM
Wow, look! Only 3 posts and we've already drifted off topic. I think that's some sort of record. ;)

Nareth
2004-06-01, 12:12 PM
FINALLY!!!! A good use for a Flumph!!! I've been trying to come up with one for years now.

Bogotter
2004-06-01, 12:44 PM
Wow, look! Only 3 posts and we've already drifted off topic. I think that's some sort of record. ;)

Technically this thread was never on topic.....so it couldn't drift off topic.

However, since there was one on topic post since then.....now I'm technically off topic.

Unless of course I say something relevant to save it:

OoTS Rules!!

(phew that was close!)

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-06-01, 01:37 PM
Most origanal use of a Flumph ever! I was hoping the Flumphs would make a major contributiation. Maybe a new cantrip "Summon Flumph" can replace "Feather Fall".

Rodrick the Red

Grey Watcher
2004-06-01, 01:53 PM
Summon Flumph? Interesting.... Not only useful as a cushion, but handy if you don't happen to know the Ultimate Joke.

Invariel
2004-06-01, 02:51 PM
I wonder if crushing something with your butt can be considered an offensive action... Which would, of course, nullify Sanctuary.

Cellardoor
2004-06-01, 04:41 PM
... but handy if you don't happen to know the Ultimate Joke.
Hey, would that be a Quest for Glory 4 reference?

Grey Watcher
2004-06-01, 08:20 PM
Hey, would that be a Quest for Glory 4 reference?

Shhh! It's a secret! :P

Invariel
2004-06-01, 10:16 PM
Oop Eek Chee.
Wait... Sorry, that's the Ultimate Insult.

Rhia
2004-06-01, 10:43 PM
One of my favorite aspects of OoTS is that the characters are self-aware. That is, they can spout off the D&D rules that govern their lives. "The don't even HAVE a willl save."

Love it! :)

mossfoot
2004-06-01, 11:14 PM
You know, Hilgya's magic looks a bit "evil", don't you think? I mean Restoration coming out all orangey muddy rather than a bright blue or something. I don't trust her ;D

Grey Watcher
2004-06-02, 09:51 AM
You know, Hilgya's magic looks a bit "evil", don't you think? I mean Restoration coming out all orangey muddy rather than a bright blue or something. I don't trust her ;D

Well, her God is supposed to be associated with Fire and Chaos, so why not? I mean, if her magic were all blackish like the Goblin Shaman or Sabine, then you might have a point, but I think the Orange is more likely a sign she took the Fire Domain from her God.

The Giant
2004-06-02, 10:19 AM
Actually, we KNOW she took the Fire domain because we've seen her Rebuke fire elemental creatures.

Nareth
2004-06-02, 12:38 PM
Back to the Flumphs for a second...the only thing that would have made me laugh harder, would have been if the sound effect made by the two clerics landing on them had been "FLUMPH!!"...

mossfoot
2004-06-02, 07:44 PM
Actually, we KNOW she took the Fire domain because we've seen her Rebuke fire elemental creatures.

So the color of ones magic is indicative of their elemental sphere, regardless of the spell cast? So a fire based cleric casting Restoration glows redish, and a water based cleric would cast the same spell blue?

Ah... I thought it was a "red lightsabre=evil" kind of analogy ;)

(Of course I'm not being truly serious in this analysis, just joking around)

Arian
2004-06-02, 09:31 PM
There's lots of interesting stuff about flumphs in Son of a Portable Hole:

http://www.mortality.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&r eq=getit&lid=30

;D

The Giant
2004-06-03, 12:09 AM
New ad banner:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/Banners/ootsbanner_468x60_dwarf.gif

Ravenproject
2004-06-03, 03:19 AM
Love the new comic. Roy really screwed up on that one. ;)

mossfoot
2004-06-03, 08:53 AM
New ad banner:

Hot Dwarf on Dwaf action! ;D WOOT!

(hey, where's her beard? ;) )

davericsdamsel
2004-06-03, 10:27 AM
i love the new banner

too bad we can't have animated shirts

; ) J

Tarlonniel
2004-06-03, 12:39 PM
Seems to me that Hilgya and Durkon should take off together and leave those jerks to their fate. "Those jerks" being Roy and V, of course ;)

JD
2004-06-03, 01:52 PM
It wasn't nice, that those dwarves cut of that conversation, I wanted to hear what you call such a bodypart.

I'm very dissapointed in you, Roy

Don't push it!

Hobot
2004-06-03, 02:59 PM
i love the new banner

too bad we can't have animated shirts

; ) J

Don't let reality interfere with your desires!

We DEMAND animated shirts!

Grey Watcher
2004-06-03, 03:38 PM

I didn't realize that was a Rebuke. I just thought it was her pulling rank.

I love this episode! Haley's argument is truly precious. ;D

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-06-03, 11:05 PM
I, too, thought Haley's response was classic. It sounds like something the other party members in the psionics campaign I'm in might say to my character and the half-giant fighter - or what one the groups I DM might say to their poor, longsuffering druid. That second party inspired the quote "Sir! I hear petty bickering, it must be them!"

I love that new banner. ;D I'll have to use it as link somewhare.

Rhia
2004-06-04, 02:09 AM
#75 is going down as one of my favorites! Haley reminds me so much of my chatroom character who is very aware of her own inattention to detail. Not so much out of irresponsiblity, as out of selfishness. Anything that doesn't directly relate to her, she doesn't bother with.

My sister had to ask me what I was laughing about in here. :)

JD
2004-06-04, 09:05 AM
I think its so funny that its now official that Roy and V is the only responsible in the party, well 'cept Durkon (maybe).

Xander77
2004-06-04, 04:08 PM
Heh, my "kindly Flumphs save Hilgiyaianyiheidiho" comment worked out oddly...

KingofQueens
2004-06-04, 10:33 PM
Dwarf on Dwarf action! :o Heh, that banner cracked me up...

Invariel
2004-06-05, 12:37 PM
Wow, just what I asked for - a more OOTS related banner! Thanks, Giant. :D

Matuse
2004-06-07, 04:59 AM
I don't know what I like more, that Darkvision works like turning on the highbeams of your car...

OR THE START OF THE DWARF ON DWARF ACTION BAYBEE!!!!!!

fredryck
2004-06-07, 07:13 AM
Hold on a second... Let me turn on my Darkvision *click*

roflmao ;D

Tarlonniel
2004-06-07, 09:49 AM
You go, Hilgya! Get yer man and get 'im good. :-*

Grey Watcher
2004-06-07, 10:56 AM
Hilgya's very subtle, isn't she?

RebelYell
2004-06-07, 01:54 PM
I don't think I can stress how hard D&D characters who know they are D&D characters makes me laugh.

The Darkvision gag was hilarious. And Hilgya knowing about the stonecunning thinger is equally hilarious.

Medesha
2004-06-07, 04:55 PM
Anyone else notice that Durkon said he didn't have no wife?

Hmm hmm.

SP_Wes
2004-06-07, 09:22 PM
Ooooh! I like the art in this one. Don't know why, but it really is pretty. Maybe it's the light beams...

Anyways, I wonder how long it'll be before the walking box of Band-Aids meets up with Roy again? And when they meet, how will the rest of the group accept Hilgya?

Grey Watcher
2004-06-07, 11:20 PM
With a helpful song from Elan, why not?

"Accept, accept, accept, accept the former foe!"

Invariel
2004-06-08, 01:05 AM
It's really easy to get one's new girlfriend into a party if you're the healer.

"She's not in the party? You're gonna be bleeding for a loooong time, mister."

fendermallot
2004-06-08, 01:15 AM
it's probably the horns of her helmet, but in that last frame when she's smiling, she looks a little sinister. Not alot, just a little. Could be her innate mischevousness, her worshiping Loki and all.

JD
2004-06-08, 08:50 AM
Well I like it... I'm so gonna use that pickup line

dragonfly
2004-06-08, 09:43 AM
I think the only way the darkvision could have been funnier is if it was all tinted green, like the night vision cameras on reality shows. Then we really would have been ready for the dwarf on dwarf action!
(play love theme from the Order of the Stick here)

Orion
2004-06-08, 10:10 AM
Ooo! Dwarf on Dwarf Action! Whatta selling point! w00t! ;)

Rromagar
2004-06-09, 12:21 AM
Then we really would have been ready for the dwarf on dwarf action!
(play love theme from the Order of the Stick here)

We have a love theme, now?

Excellent, time to begin work on the compilation album.

Track 1
Elan's Bard Song
Track 2
Love Theme From "Order of the Stick"
Track 3
Elan's Bard Song - reprise
Track 4
Elan's Bard Song - reprise - reprise
Track 5
Elan's Bard Song - reprise - reprise - ...

Ok, maybe I need a couple more tracks first.

Invariel
2004-06-09, 02:08 AM
Elan's Bard Song:

Kiss, kiss, kiss, kiss the nubile dwarf woman.
Kiss the dwarf!
Kiss the dwarf.
Kiss the dwarf, kiss the dwarf, kiss the dwarf.
(What is Elan doing?)
{He's inspiring confidence.}
[Confidence?]
{Competence, sorry.}
Kiss the dwarf...

dragonfly
2004-06-09, 09:22 AM
Cue music:
sometimes you gotta kiss the dwarf.
-Sebastian, Little Mermaid
Oops, sorry, wrong thread

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-06-09, 11:04 PM
And people wonder why I say multiple clerics are the most annoying PCs to DM against... ;)

Hilarious comic. I cracked up at the first panel alone - Hilgya's definitely determined. And the last panel was great, too. "Go team cleric! - probably another classic quote in my book.

Doggie
2004-06-09, 11:08 PM
Hi everyone.

Been readying the comics for a little while now and thought I would register so I could add my 2cp worth:

Been thoroughly enjoying the comic, keep up the good work. I've found Oots to be the best of the D&D related comics I've looked at..... seems to appeal to my own twisted sense of humour nicely.
Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Wanderer
2004-06-09, 11:56 PM
Hrm... we've tried the "holy party" approach before. Two clerics and three paladins, as I recall. Plenty of healing, that's for sure. But there comes a time when you just NEED to lob a few Delayed Blast Fireballs into an enemy mob...

Doggie
2004-06-10, 12:36 AM
Though there are a few cleric spells that could be used as a substitute to Fireballs.

JD
2004-06-10, 09:14 AM
*hits dwarf*
"Cure light"
*hits dwarf*
"cure light"
*beats the c**p out of the dwarf*
"Cure moderate"

You can't beat that!

Rhia
2004-06-10, 10:46 AM
Go team cleric! ;D

Tarlonniel
2004-06-10, 11:50 AM
Yay clerics! They rock! ;D

Grey Watcher
2004-06-10, 11:51 AM
Yes, this edition is definitely one of the best. ;D

Medesha
2004-06-10, 12:50 PM
Cue music:
sometimes you gotta kiss the dwarf.
-Sebastian, Little Mermaid
Oops, sorry, wrong thread

Well, I couldn't let an opportunity like this pass by! :D Thanks for the idea, dragonfly!

Kiss The Dwarf

There you see her,
Walking down the dungeon hall.
Holding hands so you won't fall,
There's just something about her.

And you don't know why but you're dying to try
you wanna
kiss the dwarf.

Yes, she's CN.
And we're pretty sure you're lawful good.
Don't worry bout whether you should,
There's no one else you're seein'.

Don't you tell her 'nay'
You should do it today
go on and
kiss the dwarf.

Sha la la la la la
We're so tense!
Look like the boy too dense.
Ain't gonna kiss the dwarf.

Sha la la la la la
Ain't he dumb?
And she could be the one.
He's gonna miss the dwarf.

Sure, she hurt you.
But only for her loser friends.
They've all met respective ends,
And now she'll be true.
Not like your loser friends!
Who left you for dead.
Forget them.
Kiss the dwarf.

Sha la la la la la
She's so hot!
Go on and give it a shot.
You wanna kiss the dwarf.

Sha la la la la la
Here's your cue!
Do just what Thor would do.
You know he'd kiss the dwarf.

Kiss kiss kiss kiss
Kiss the attractive female dwarf!

Bogotter
2004-06-10, 03:01 PM
Medesha that was awesome. Very clever!

xthemage
2004-06-10, 03:14 PM
Pretty spiffy indeed.

Salzorin
2004-06-10, 04:11 PM
That brought a tear to my eye... :'(

Yellow
2004-06-10, 05:30 PM
That just wasn't fair. ;D

That Hilgya's a subtle one. :P

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-06-10, 10:36 PM
*Applauds Medesha's great songwriting skills* ;D

Grey Watcher
2004-06-10, 10:51 PM
That's it, new game thread coming up!

Wayfaring_Stranger
2004-06-11, 08:21 AM
Hi! New to the forum, nothing to add, except: Giant!! OOTS rocks!!!!!! 8)

Starbuck_II
2004-06-11, 12:45 PM
I just had to say that "Kiss the Dwarf" spoof from the Little Mermaid (great movie btw) Is awesone

Medesha, good song lol

I wonder if Hilgya is using him or not...

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-06-11, 02:22 PM
Medesha,

That was FANTASTIC !!! I laughed my butt off.

That Hilgya is a cunning little vixon. Roy is not the only one that needs to grow a sense motive.

Rodrick the Red

KingofQueens
2004-06-11, 02:28 PM
Great song Medesha. Almost makes me wish I was a dwarf... ;D

dktsang
2004-06-11, 06:51 PM

Shouldn't that be "Dwarf-on-Flumph Action"?

Donald

PS Eiw... :)

Arian
2004-06-11, 08:57 PM
DO NOT MOCK THE FLUMPH!

Medesha
2004-06-12, 12:57 AM
*bows* Thank you, thank you all! I'm here all week!

*blows kiss to KoQ* ;D

KingofQueens
2004-06-12, 02:09 AM
*bows* Thank you, thank you all! I'm here all week!

*blows kiss to KoQ* ;D

:-*

The Giant
2004-06-12, 02:37 AM
*blows kiss to KoQ* ;D

:-*

OK you two, break it up. KingOfQueens, she's married. Medesha, he's 15.

Medesha
2004-06-12, 08:16 PM
He started it.

KingofQueens
2004-06-12, 11:18 PM
I was just stating Medesha's post in ... emoticon form. Yea.

mossfoot
2004-06-13, 04:49 AM
Great song. Now I have to see The Little Mermaid again so I can have the music in my head for it ;)

You know, not only does this show how fighting clerics can be frustrating (I've GMed a game where I nearly whacked the whole party, only to have the team cleric make everyone spiffy new in a matter of moments... note to self, send in second wave early next time ;) ) However it does mean that when we catch up with our heros, I'm willing to bet they are going to be acting a little LESS heroically without their portable bandaids providing support ;) (images of Monty Python: RUN AWAY!!!!)

Invariel
2004-06-13, 06:57 AM
That would require our beloved Order to work ... sensibly. And we all know that's not in the plan. ;)

JD
2004-06-13, 03:28 PM
First of all nice song (so was the after-flirt....)

And having Belkar, Haley and Elan act sensibly with only two people there is gonna be hard.

AlsoI have a question for you Giant: Will you make a T-shirt where Bogotter, the Baron, Medesha, xthemage, you and the members of OoTS? You know standing there herostyle, moderators, guestwriter, Admin, and DnD characters....

Xa0s
2004-06-13, 04:56 PM
To the mods: Sorry 'bout putting the post in the wrong spot. I guess I just got ahead of my self, and posted before I got a good feel for this particular forum. I just read "Praise or curse the authors......." and thought this goes here, I humble myself again. The post in question (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=features;action=display;num=10871561 04)

But to reiterate, the OotS is awesome, and the admins seem to have a pretty good handle on the boards too appearently.

xthemage
2004-06-13, 05:00 PM
No harm was done. Welcome to the boards Xa0s.

Grey Watcher
2004-06-13, 10:29 PM
By the way, Giant, I hope your happy. Now, whenever work decides to blare "celebrate good times, c'mon!" over the loudspeakers, all I'll be able to think of is Elan's attempts to help V concentrate. >:(

mossfoot
2004-06-14, 06:46 AM
Oooh! First post on the new comic! ;)

Interesting, we're seeing a big of Xykon's history there. Wonder who the old dude he was life force draining was? Must have been his Mentor.

Don't you just hate sarcastic parents? ;)

Arian
2004-06-14, 08:04 AM
Wonder who the old dude he was life force draining was? Must have been his Mentor.

At first glance I wondered if it was Roy's grandfather, but he's the wrong colour. :-) So then I concluded the same as you - a mentor.

Wayfaring_Stranger
2004-06-14, 08:46 AM
Aha; an ancient feud between Roy's family and Xercon... the plot thickens...

Grey Watcher
2004-06-14, 10:14 AM
Xercon? Who's Xercon? :P

I like this strip. ;D

SimonMoon5
2004-06-14, 10:22 AM
Of course, Roy's dad's being a little unreasonable (well, what do you expect from a dead guy?) since the only way to polymorph Xyrkon into a frog would involve "polymorph any object" which would require Roy to be 15th level (and I don't think the Order is that high level yet). Being an undead can cause just as many problems for spellcasters as for guys with sharp metal sticks.

Ryth_Ironshield
2004-06-14, 10:44 AM
They said Roy was the Eldest child, Does that mean he has siblings?

The Giant
2004-06-14, 10:50 AM
the only way to polymorph Xyrkon into a frog would involve "polymorph any object"

Untrue. Undead are creatures and can be targeted by Baleful Polymorph. There is no requirement that the target be a living creature, that's only for regular Polymorph. Yeah, it's a screwed up rule that can actually bring an undead creature back to "life", albeit as a squirrel.

Trust me, I looked it up before I finished the strip. :P

Invariel
2004-06-14, 11:03 AM
"Oh, right. Skeleton." Why do I get the feeling I'm going to be saying that a lot over the next few days?

Tarlonniel
2004-06-14, 12:02 PM
Ooohhh, so this is personal on Roy's part. Excellent. And I don't know what dad's so upset about; where would casters be without pointy-stick-wielding meat shields? I'm sure V can easily take care of the frogifying while Roy draws Xykon's fire.

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-06-14, 04:05 PM
SimonMoon5, you are right, Roy's Dad is being totally unreasonable.

Undead are immune to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless) and would need a Polymorph any object to affect them.

But, Xykon is a Lich and Lich's are immune to polymorph effects, except if they cast it on themselves.

Too bad, because I laughed myself silly over the Xykon Lich King Frog. :'(

Rodrich the Red

WOOT! Page 7 is mine. 8)

Zherog
2004-06-14, 04:19 PM
Untrue. Undead are creatures and can be targeted by Baleful Polymorph. There is no requirement that the target be a living creature, that's only for regular Polymorph. Yeah, it's a screwed up rule that can actually bring an undead creature back to "life", albeit as a squirrel.

Trust me, I looked it up before I finished the strip. :P

Wow. I hate to nitpick a rule when it comes to the strip (because part of the fun - to me at least - is ignoring some of the game mechanics) but I think you're wrong on this one, Rich. Undead should be immune to Baleful Polymorph under the 3.5 rules.

From the SRD, on the Undead type:

Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

And on the Baleful Polymorph spell:

Saving Throw: Fortitude negates, Will partial; see text

Additionally, assuming he's a lich, the following entry from the Lich template also rules it out:

Immunities (Ex): Liches have immunity to cold, electricity, polymorph (though they can use polymorph effects on themselves), and mind-affecting attacks.

BAH! I can't believe I just picked that many nits. I'm so ashamed....

The Giant
2004-06-14, 04:22 PM
That requires knowledge from the Monster Manual though. The spell description is all the "players" see, and if you read it, there's nothing in Baleful Polymorph that implies undead are not affected. Roy's dad has never read the Undead description, nor the Lich entry.

I don't need to justify that Baleful Polymorph works on a lich. I just have to justify that Roy's dad doesn't KNOW polymorph doesn't work on a lich. :P

Zherog
2004-06-14, 04:26 PM
That works for me, and now I feel less ashamed for picking those nits. ;)

GypsyThorn
2004-06-14, 05:14 PM
That requires knowledge from the Monster Manual though. The spell description is all the "players" see, and if you read it, there's nothing in Baleful Polymorph that implies undead are not affected. Roy's dad has never read the Undead description, nor the Lich entry.

I don't need to justify that Baleful Polymorph works on a lich. I just have to justify that Roy's dad doesn't KNOW polymorph doesn't work on a lich. :P

This brings up an interesting, albeit hypotetical question.

Assuming for the sake of arguement, that a polymorph on the lich would work, and somehow the appropriate saving was missed, and that, since the life force wasn't there in the first place, when the lich was turned into a frog, that frog was, of course, turned into an undead frog.

The question that arises, is....

Can undead frogs croak?

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-14, 05:32 PM
At first glance I wondered if it was Roy's grandfather, but he's the wrong colour. :-) So then I concluded the same as you - a mentor.

My conclusion is that Xykon just usurped the throne from whoever the dead guy is.

But then Xykon himself died, of course.

Teh plot thickens~

Matuse
2004-06-14, 10:37 PM
The question that arises, is....

Can undead frogs croak?

20 lashes with a wet noodle for you, sir.

Well, going lichey is a voluntary process, I wouldn't say that he just up and died. Many would-be liches skip the middleman and kill themselves to get the ball rolling once the phylactery is in place and all is ready.

Course, he may also not be a lich...granted, he probably IS, but he *may* not be.

Shadeogrey
2004-06-15, 12:42 AM
Hi all,
first time posting here, but a follower of the Order for a while.. :)
Thanks to Mossfoot's link .. heh

Teh plot thickens~

Oh yeah. That reminds me of Roy's father telling him about stabbing a lich with a piece of metal.
Will that even work? "Maybe he'll bleed to---"
Hmmm...
The Clot Thickens

:P

Shadeogrey
2004-06-15, 01:00 AM
Course, he may also not be a lich...granted, he probably IS, but he *may* not be.

Hmm... you mean he may be a shapechanged member of the "hateful, blood-thirsty and poor-conceived lot of vile fiends"? Like, say, a .... flump?

;) ;)

Or that he knows about Polymorph Any Object, and doesn't know about its level requirements.

Then again, maybe he does. Given his opinion of Roy's career path, he'd probably reply that if only Roy had gone to Wizard college, he would be 15th level by now.

Another newbie here, by the way - I've been reading OOTS for a few weeks now, but haven't posted before. Thanks for a hilarious comic series.

Starbuck_II
2004-06-15, 12:57 PM
I'm unsure but can't you polymorth into a Lich?

Maybe that was how Xykon became a Lich...
Then I guess cast permency so he kept the power, maybe?

But this is all hypothetical...
Couldn't going Lichy be non-voluntary is one was mind controlled to became one?

SimonMoon5
2004-06-15, 02:05 PM
Liches are template creatures. Therefore, you can't polymorph into them (nor can you polymorph into a ghost, a vampire, or even a half-dragon).

Furthermore, unless you are already undead, you're not allowed to polymorph into any other undead creature. (Or something like that. In 3.0, any creature on the "forbidden" list (outsiders, undead, constructs, etc) could polymorph into any other forbidden creature.)

So, he'd've had to've been an undead already... and since he couldn't become a lich, he would've had to resort to polymorphing into a skeleton. And, imho, no matter what sort of undead he was to start with, he would've been getting quite a bit weaker if he did so. And then he still has to sweet-talk the DM into letting permanency work on polymorph since it's not on the pre-approved list.

So, I think that's not the most likely hypothesis. And, anyway, he'd still get the undead creature type nowadays, so he'd still be immune to baleful polymorphing others.

Zherog
2004-06-15, 02:32 PM
But this is all hypothetical...
Couldn't going Lichy be non-voluntary is one was mind controlled to became one?

The answer to this is no - you have to willingly undergo the process.

Grey Watcher
2004-06-15, 08:00 PM
The answer to this is no - you have to willingly undergo the process.

Why?

Tzor
2004-06-15, 09:22 PM
Personally I think it would be good if you can't turn him into a frog ... it gives Roy a chance to say "Nah nah" back to his father ... and it serves him right for fooling around in the afterlife.

Zherog
2004-06-16, 11:08 AM
Why?

because that's what the rules say. From the SRD, on becoming a lich:

The process of becoming a lich is unspeakably evil and can be undertaken only by a willing character.

I suppose one could argue that that doesn't preclude an NPC from being forced into Lichdom. Semantically, it would be impossible to refute. I've always take that text to apply to everybody, however.

JD
2004-06-16, 11:15 AM
In 3.0, any creature on the "forbidden" list (outsiders, undead, constructs, etc) could polymorph into any other forbidden creature.

Then if Xykon is really an outsider he could in fact have become an undead by polymorph. I say this because Xykon was clearly a Lich before the first strip, and there they upgraded to 3.5....

A little wonderment: Haley's dad was a 1st edition thief, what edition was she created in? What about Belkar? Elan/Nale? Roy? Durkon? Vaarsavius (SP?)?

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-06-16, 04:35 PM
A little wonderment: Haley's dad was a 1st edition thief, what edition was she created in? What about Belkar? Elan/Nale? Roy? Durkon? Vaarsavius (SP?)?

Since Nale has sorcerer rather than wizard levels, I'd imagine they're both 3rd edition characters. IIRC, halflings were barred from being rangers in 2e, so Belkar is probably also a 3e character. Roy and Haley could be either 3rd or 2nd edition; since elves are supposed to be significantly older than other races, V would probably be the best candidate for a 2e character.

Wanderer
2004-06-16, 09:39 PM
Does Roy's dad not realize what would HAPPEN to the caster-type folks without big fighter-type folks carrying sharp things to throw in front of them? Those meat-shields saved my casters' lives many times.

The Giant
2004-06-16, 10:38 PM
And brain surgeons wouldn't be anywhere without the guys who clean the operating room, but does that mean parents want their kids to grow up to be janitors?

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-06-16, 10:54 PM
Well, at least it may explain why the mindflayer decided to snack on Roy instead of V...

Odd Thought of the Day: Illithid brain surgeons... hm...

Shadeogrey
2004-06-16, 10:56 PM
Does Roy's dad not realize what would HAPPEN to the caster-type folks without big fighter-type folks carrying sharp things to throw in front of them? Those meat-shields saved my casters' lives many times.

That's very true. In almost every game I've been in, I played a mage/wizard/magic-user type.

But all that said, I especially like Tenser's Transformation. It's a cool way to dent a meat-shield's ego, especially when coupled with Fire-shields, Stoneskins etc cast beforehand.
:)

An even more munchiny (is there such a word?) way is to Magic-Jar possess a troll, or ogre, or hill-giant, and THEN cast Tenser's T.

MUHAHAHAHAHAH

Anyone ever done that?

Invariel
2004-06-17, 12:02 AM
Fire-shields?! You MONSTER!!

Everyone knows that dousing your meatshields in oil and lighting them aflame is only more likely to get you to end up with crispy meatshield... Even if it does look pretty for a few minutes, I guarantee that your fire-shield idea is impractical.

Bad, BAD mage-type person.

Invariel
2004-06-17, 12:05 AM
And, concerning today's comic...

Oh -my-... Who would have expected the foreshadowing for the next story arc to come from ... the banner!

That's actually the last place I expected foreshadowing from.

(Ewwwwwww...)

Grey Watcher
2004-06-17, 12:07 AM
"So when I saw you, I knew we had everything in common." Roleplaying at its finest, ladies and gentlemen (and assorted others)!

Is it just difficult to draw stick figures kissing, or is Durkon being a gentleman and kissing her on her forehead?

Carrion
2004-06-17, 12:17 AM
Ooo, this comic reminded me of a link I saw a few days ago...

*digs*

http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstlook/marvel/loki1/cvrpage.html

It's about Loki, it's free (for the first issue proof :P) and it's awful pretty.

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-06-17, 12:39 AM
Hilgya sure knows how to get what she's after ;D

Great comic. The fact that they managed to throw of the cosmic balance is hilarious, and I love Durkon's line about Belkar. OotS just keeps getting funnier :)

Alexin
2004-06-17, 03:00 AM
Heh, you'd think that with some of Loki's previous... Errm... "Relationships", he wouldn't be feeling so queasy about two dwarves kissing. ;D Then again, Hilgya IS kissing one of Thor's followers; I guess seeing your priest in love with the priest of your sometimes best friend, sometimes mortal enemy can be rather distracting.

fendermallot
2004-06-17, 03:17 AM
love or lust? I dunno. It always creeped me out when a woman told me that she "knows we'll be together" or that she "loves me" on the first date. To me it just sounds a bit desperate. Hilgya just seems to be up to something. But that's me, i'm a glass half empty kinda guy. :)

Doggie
2004-06-17, 03:43 AM
Wonder if Durkon will go on a big act of denial if they regroup.

"I did not have a sexual relation with that woman."

Deny,
Deny,
Deny.

Shadeogrey
2004-06-17, 03:48 AM
Deny,
Deny.

I hear a song in the making :
"Dump dump dump
dump the evil cleric"..

hey wait!
Elan is FOR the relationship, aint he?

Shadeogrey
2004-06-17, 03:50 AM
Everyone knows that dousing your meatshields in oil and lighting them aflame is only more likely to get you to end up with crispy meatshield... Even if it does look pretty for a few minutes, I guarantee that your fire-shield idea is impractical.

Heh. Well, they CAN distract the enemy... especially when they're hungry and not too bothered about following Atkin's plan...

mossfoot
2004-06-17, 04:10 AM
Ooooh, I can just see this building up (wild guess here) that the Gods themselves are going to try and break up the little love birds, because it's "icky".

I can see the movie marketing line now:

Forbidden Dwarven Love, Up Against all the Gods!

Loethlin
2004-06-17, 04:39 AM
Forbidden Dwarven Love, Up Against all the Gods!
This sounds oddly familiar. Maybe they should fake suicide to escape their gods' wrath..? ;)

marketingman
2004-06-17, 04:41 AM
Cause what happens in darkvision stays in darkvision.

Matuse
2004-06-17, 07:40 AM
I like how the heart is the only thing in color.

Kiss, Kiss, Kiss, Kiss the braided-haired dwarf lady!

Rashna
2004-06-17, 09:32 AM
At first glance, Loki's cape looked like Divine Flatulence.

Cloud of rebuking! Wouldn't that be a fun ability to have? Could it be considered a breath weapon?

fredryck
2004-06-17, 09:40 AM
Funniest words I ever come out of a god's mouth... Dude! Chill...

lol

GypsyThorn
2004-06-17, 09:41 AM
love or lust? I dunno. It always creeped me out when a woman told me that she "knows we'll be together" or that she "loves me" on the first date. To me it just sounds a bit desperate. Hilgya just seems to be up to something. But that's me, i'm a glass half empty kinda guy. :)

Remember we've been told things move at the "speed of plot". Same way here - if it's necessary for the lovebirds to realize their eternal devotion to each other in a few panels so's that the plot may proceed apace, that works for me.

On the other hand, if that shameless hussy breaks poor Durkon's heart, I will be very sad.

On the third hand, how could a cleric of Loki possibly maintain a monogamous relationship. Like the scorpion said to the fox, "it's my nature."

GypsyThorn
2004-06-17, 10:48 AM

Reminds me of some advice given in a game I played a long, long time ago.

What should a low-level mage buy with their first 1,000 gp?

A set of plate mail.

Tarlonniel
2004-06-17, 11:24 AM
Wow, deity-crossed lovers. It's just too perfect. Plusthis Romeo can resurrect Juliet (and vice versa), so we may have a happy ending! Unless Thor and Loki decide to take their follower's spells away...

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-06-17, 12:37 PM
WOotS!! Bring on the hot Dwarf on Dwarf action!! :-*

Maybe we will learn the answer to a question that has troubled gamers since the dawn of DnD:

How does one "preform" in Plate Mail? ???

Rodrick the Red

fendermallot
2004-06-17, 12:41 PM
i understand that it moves at "the speed of plot" but that doesnt mean that it's all good. I'm skeptical. sue me :)

Scorpina
2004-06-17, 12:48 PM
On the third hand, how could a cleric of Loki possibly maintain a monogamous relationship. Like the scorpion said to the fox, "it's my nature."

Just because she's Chaotic (which I believe she is, firstly due to the fact that she worships Loki, and secondly because her magic is yellow, the chaotic colour of magic) doesn't mean she can't maintain a monogamous relationship, it just means that she'll do it because she wants to, not because its the done thing.

Grey Watcher
2004-06-17, 01:06 PM
Remember we've been told things move at the "speed of plot". Same way here - if it's necessary for the lovebirds to realize their eternal devotion to each other in a few panels so's that the plot may proceed apace, that works for me.

On the other hand, if that shameless hussy breaks poor Durkon's heart, I will be very sad.

So is Hilgya's theme song "I Cain't Say No"?

But, as far as the speed of their courtship, haven't you ever heard of love at first sight, fendermallot? (Granted, seldom happens, and it requires a certain temperament in both parties, but still, it maybe something in the air. Apart from the stench of goblin droppings.)

Scorpina
2004-06-17, 01:19 PM
Well, it isn't really love at first sight, since they've known each other for a while.

Plus, Helgya DID go back for Durkon and save his life when everyone else had abandonded him, that does count for something.

GypsyThorn
2004-06-17, 01:53 PM
Well, it isn't really love at first sight, since they've known each other for a while......

I wrote an adventure a while back and submitted it for publication to Role-Aids/Mayfair Games. It wasn't really ready for publication. Bill Fawcett, the editor-in-chief at the time, rejected it with some decent comments. (I'm still working on it fifteen years later.)

On the other hand (I think I've used up four of them so far), he had one comment with which I disagreed. Two of the characters had feelings for each other. He said that I hadn't justified those feelings in my background. I simply thought then (and still do now) that if the plot demands these characters fall in love, who am I, being merely the author, to stand in their way.

Rhia
2004-06-17, 02:54 PM
Awww, they're kissing ^_^

*sucker for romance*

Melifaxis
2004-06-17, 02:56 PM
That was an utter riot! ;D

JD
2004-06-17, 03:58 PM
My version of things:

Loki: "Dude, chill for a minute...."
*Thor hits Loki with Mjölner*
*Durkon drops unconciouss, and the moment is ruined*

((Never been much for romance... Whenever the loving couple runs towards each others in the park (slow motion, slow music etc.) I yell: "Now trip her" and people complains that I shouldn't be there if I don't like the genre.... C'mon I came there for the car chases!))

Rhia
2004-06-17, 04:03 PM
((Never been much for romance... Whenever the loving couple runs towards each others in the park (slow motion, slow music etc.) I yell: "Now trip her" and people complains that I shouldn't be there if I don't like the genre.... C'mon I came there for the car chases!))
How often do you find movies that combine car chases with couples running towards each other in the park? :-X ;)

Tzor
2004-06-17, 04:04 PM
You know it's moments like these that cause me to suddenly burst into song. Sing if with me if you figured out the song.

But when they get behind closed doors
When she takes her helmit off
When they both realize that they are dwarves
Well nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors!

Except Odin and Loki apparently, and it appears that Loki's a she (big relief guys giving birth to world killing wolves just bugs me out) so perhaps a little romance might imspire some divine fires ... or just mutual gross outs.

Salzorin
2004-06-17, 04:42 PM
I have bad mental images of Dwarves Gone Wild dancing through my head due to the implications that Hilgya's chaotic alignment would cause her to be more of a "free spirit."

The Giant
2004-06-17, 04:45 PM
Except Odin and Loki apparently, and it appears that Loki's a she (big relief guys giving birth to world killing wolves just bugs me out) so perhaps a little romance might imspire some divine fires ... or just mutual gross outs.

Loki is NOT a she. Men have rectangle bodies; women have curvy bodies, elven wizards wear robes. He also has the same hairstyle as Elan. Plus, he's LOKI, a male god. Seriously, I know they're simple drawings but I didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

Invariel
2004-06-17, 05:24 PM
Posted by: GypsyThorn
Like the scorpion said to the fox, "it's my nature."
Best fable, ever.

Posted by: JD
Check your mail.

(Also) posted by: JD
Loki: "Dude, chill for a minute...."
*Thor hits Loki with Mjölner*
*Durkon drops unconciouss, and the moment is ruined*

Why ... would Durkon fall unconscious when his patron deity is Thor? ???

Loethlin
2004-06-17, 05:48 PM
Seriously, I know they're simple drawings but I didn't think it was that hard to figure out.
*offtopic*
It's true, I never had any problems in figuring out who's a guy and who's a girl. And I still can't stop giggling at one of the questions in FAQ "Is V a guy or a girl?". ;D
*end of offtopic*
And coming again to this "Romeo and Juliet" thing... I have never thought about possibilities of resurrection. But I like it. They don't have to fake suicide! :)

Tarlonniel
2004-06-17, 06:36 PM
V is... V. ;D

Hey, has anyone anywhere done Shakespeare D&D style? A lot of the Bard's tragedies would be perfect material, either for parody or actual play....

Grey Watcher
2004-06-17, 07:01 PM
I had no trouble interpreting Loki's gender. He's a guy. As for V, I had no idea anyone had any confusion over his gener until I visited this forum. I just thought he was a guy.

As for spells that revive the dead, I've never liked giving players the ability to cop out of death. The most I'd permit in a setting of my own creation would be a spell that could resucitate a person within a short time after they reached -10 HP, probably no more than a round or two. Heck, I'd probably call it Resucitation.

TheArcaneTrickster
2004-06-17, 08:03 PM
You all miss the underlying reason for Helgya's kindness!!! She is using Durken to get at Thor and defeat the rest of the OoTS so that they all will die in a fiery blaze!!! How can you all be so blind!? It is your impertenence that will get those poor fools killed! If you all will do nothing, then I shall have to save them!

Super-mage, AWAY! *flys off*
Edit: I was in chat mode or something when I wrote this o_O.

mossfoot
2004-06-17, 08:55 PM
I had no problem knowing Loki was a guy... BUUUT, I can see the confusion, too... in a Legolas (Orlando Bloom) "bit too purty" kind of way ;)

Oh, Grey Watcher's comment got me thinking. I wonder if we're ever going to see a "house rule" introduced into the comedy (as a punchline or plot device) or if it's going to stay as true to the 3.5 rules as possible.

Josh_Kablack
2004-06-17, 09:55 PM
But according to the source mythology, Loki was the only one of the Norse gods capable of shapechanging into a female form.

While this could make for a number of off color jokes about marriages in Vermont, I prefer to look at it as evidence that their players were playing by varying versions of the Polymorph errata even back then. :P

TheArcaneTrickster
2004-06-18, 12:10 AM
But according to the source mythology, Loki was the only one of the Norse gods capable of shapechanging into a female form.

While this could make for a number of off color jokes about marriages in Vermont, I prefer to look at it as evidence that their players were playing by varying versions of the Polymorph errata even back then. :P

"the source mythology" or "Norse mythology", it doesn't matter much. I really hope there aren't any polymorph jokes, however. Me and my friends killed those jokes one time when we played an evil campaign and one of the players choose a female mage/seductress and basically was the best-known prostitute in the world... You have no idea how many fetishes he named and could make his character do (shudder).

Grey Watcher
2004-06-18, 09:55 AM
While this could make for a number of off color jokes about marriages in Vermont....

Tsk, tsk, tsk. Vermont has civil unions. Massachusetts is the one where gays can get married.

JD
2004-06-18, 12:27 PM
((I wonder why it's the NORSE mythology, the danes and swedish started at the same time as them.))

Loki is a guy in the comic, but he is so wierd that polymorph spells seems like childsplay. He is allied with a woman, who take the dead people toenails and builds a ship out of them....

CountArioch_XXVIII
2004-06-18, 01:05 PM
I dunno, I seem to remember reading a lot of norse myths where Loki and Thor were traveling companions. I dunno, they seemed like they were friends to me in the myths, until Haldur died.

(Although I probably didn't get that name right, the guy everyone liked, was killed with mistletoe by his blind brother? Something like that, i'ts been a while.)

The Giant
2004-06-18, 01:43 PM
Well, the fine folks at Marvel Comics disagree with you. :P

Tzor
2004-06-18, 02:04 PM
Seriously, I know they're simple drawings but I didn't think it was that hard to figure out.

Now I see my original problem. I mistook Loki's cloak for a continuation of his hair (they are almost the same color) and just assumed that the long hair was a "she." :-[

Fireballing_Fun
2004-06-18, 02:52 PM
Now I see my original problem. I mistook Loki's cloak for a continuation of his hair (they are almost the same color) and just assumed that the long hair was a "she." :-[

Erm... I thought for a moment that Loki looked female, I dont think it was the cloak though. He just looked feminine... erm perhaps because.... no I am not sure. But it down to stupidity.

The comic continues to impress me. In fact its the main reason I come to this site. Sorry it is true!

Though some of the articles and what-not are good reading. (One of which was made obligatory reading for our the group, went over their heads the poor dears).

Anyway the comic is excellent. As always.

davericsdamsel
2004-06-18, 04:46 PM
it appears that Loki's a she .

it appears that Loki's cape looks like cool fiery blonde hair.

Calyn
2004-06-18, 04:48 PM
My two mythological bits...

Loki started off as a somewhat prankster-ish, but generally good guy in the beginning of the myths. He wasn't actually one of the gods himself, he was a giant. He was the only male giant that the gods were friendly with. A few of the females became wives of the gods later on. He helped the gods build their city of Asgard, and went on a couple of journeys with Thor.

Later on he began to get a little more evil. He grew jealous of Baldur, the most beloved of the gods, and conspired to have him killed. This got him kicked out of Asgard, where he plotted against the rest of the gods. His dalliances with another giant (I believe her name was Angrboda) begat Fenris wolf and Hel, as well as the midgaard serpent. These three, particularly Fenris, were instrumental in bringing about Ragnarok (for those who don't know, this is the "end of the world").

The mythos is somewhat chronological, starting with the beginning of the world and ending with what they thought ragnarok would be like. There's a lot of speculation that I've read that suggests some of the ideas like ragnarok, and the evillifying of Loki had to do with interactions with Christianity, and how Christianity was partially imported into Scandanavian mythology.

Who knows. Generally CN is the best alignment for Loki. Overall, he wasnt so much evil and he just did what he wanted and sometimes that pissed people off.

(c'mon, we're D&D geeks. I'm surprised no one has said this already ;) )

Grey Watcher
2004-06-18, 09:10 PM

I just assumed that with the wild hair and exposed chest he was one of those Adrien Paul-type gym bunnies/pretty boys.

mossfoot
2004-06-18, 11:30 PM
I just noticed Loki's aura in the last panel is a bit "green" ;) hehehe nice subtle way to get across the "I'm gonna be sick" look ;D

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-19, 12:11 AM
I think I see what's coming up here.

We obviously can't have two dwarven clerics in the party: it's redundance :( And Loki and Thor don't want the dwarves together.

So Loki's gonna pull some kind of a trick (gasp) with Hilgya, wherein she will betray Durkon for her own gain. But then Loki will manifest in some way and try to kill Durkon, and Hilgya will jump in front of the flames, and as she's burning she'll say "I really did love you, I'm sorry for the betrayal" and the flames will destroy her so entirely that any form of resurrection is impossible and :( :( :( :(

Of course, I imagined that the entire Linear Guild was going to die by falling from a broken bridge into a pit of fire that was meant to take out our heroes, but nope.

Matuse
2004-06-19, 03:10 AM
Loki is NOT a she. Men have rectangle bodies; women have curvy bodies,

AHA! Hilgya has a square body. SHE'S A MAN BABY!

CountArioch_XXVIII
2004-06-19, 05:25 AM
Well, this is a bit off topic, but I don't think I've seen this particular joke in the strip. (It came up last night, my brother and I thought of it and thought it sounded like a D&D webcomic.)

Dwarf fighter: I take the bow from the cleric, switch hands 4 times, then spin around 15 times to the right, then 3 times to the left, switch hands again, say 6 words,

DM: The bow you're holding explodes because you're being a jerk. Now go already.

(This is what my playe found out that certain actions, like changing facing, talking, etc is considered a free action. However, I doubt that my group was the only person to make that joke anyway, so this might be old stuff to you guys. I still think it's funny though.)

mossfoot
2004-06-19, 07:11 AM
But then Loki will manifest in some way and try to kill Durkon, and Hilgya will jump in front of the flames, and as she's burning she'll say "I really did love you, I'm sorry for the betrayal" and the flames will destroy her so entirely that any form of resurrection is impossible and :( :( :( :(

Well, that's what wishes are for ;)

Besides, I think that's a bit too obvious in and of itself, I would expect the actual outcome to play around with the idea, but go along a completely unexpected route at the same time (if it goes that way at all).

Scorpina
2004-06-19, 02:28 PM
Oh, Grey Watcher's comment got me thinking. I wonder if we're ever going to see a "house rule" introduced into the comedy (as a punchline or plot device) or if it's going to stay as true to the 3.5 rules as possible.

Well Zz'dtri had a 3.0 version of Fly that was "House ruled in"...

mossfoot
2004-06-19, 08:14 PM
Well Zz'dtri had a 3.0 version of Fly that was "House ruled in"...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that! thanks ;)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-20, 08:13 PM
Well, that's what wishes are for ;)

Besides, I think that's a bit too obvious in and of itself, I would expect the actual outcome to play around with the idea, but go along a completely unexpected route at the same time (if it goes that way at all).

Yeah, you're probably right. But I get the feeling that Hilgya's not going to be around much longer any way you slice it. If not because of redundance, then maybe from Captain Kirk's Girlfriend Syndrome.

And in the scenario I made up, wishing Hilgya back would be against divine will...and wishing against divine will is generally some pretty bad mojo

Gorbash Kazdar
2004-06-20, 10:29 PM
My two mythological bits...

Loki started off as a somewhat prankster-ish, ...

(c'mon, we're D&D geeks. I'm surprised no one has said this already ;) )

*Ahem* (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=comics;action=display;num=1083466191 ;start=300) ;)

-----------------------------
And in respone to todays comic, all I can say is "bwuh?"

Shadeogrey
2004-06-21, 01:29 AM
Er... don't mean to be a grammar-mama..
but should it be "prepare to be smitten" or "prepare to be smote"?

Yes. I do agree that the word "smitten" has in recent times, been taken to a new context.....

ALL HAIL BANJO!!!!

The Giant
2004-06-21, 01:41 AM
Both "smitten" and "smote" are valid tenses, I checked my dictionary. And "smote" is funnier.

Shadeogrey
2004-06-21, 01:44 AM
Both "smitten" and "smote" are valid tenses, I checked my dictionary. And "smote" is funnier.

No worries. Whichever rocks your boat :)
And I'm certainly not going to try and correct a newly risen god.
I still remember the fate of the Circle Of Eight when Vecna accended..

*prepares a clone in advance*

Sebastian
2004-06-21, 03:00 AM
eh eh eh, count one more for Banjo's followers, Elan :)

ALL PRAISE BANJO, THE ALMI.., THE POWE...

ALL PRAISE BANJO THE CLOWN. (because everyone loves a clown)

Giant, all your comics are pretty funny, but this was one of the few that make me actually laugh out loud, litteraly. thanks Banjo I was alone in the office, else I don't know if I would been able to restrain myself.

mossfoot
2004-06-21, 03:39 AM

Don't need a better reason than that ;D

You know, there is something about hand puppets that IMMEDIATELY let you know the person wearing it has a screw loose... perhaps in Elans case that there isn't a single screw tightened ;)

I guess Elan didn't do anything as useful as choosing to take some healing spells as a Bard, then.

And why do I get the feeling that it can only be a matter of time until we see Elan arguing with his own hand puppet?

I hope we get more information about this new deity - I want to know what Banjo's favoured weapon is, and what spell domains he provides.

It's not just idle speculation - one of the character concepts I intend to inflict on my fellow players sometime is a Half-Orc Bard called Krusky the Klown, whose 'perform' skill is slapstick comedy, and I think he'd definitely worship Banjo. He might even cross-class to Cleric for a god like that. ;)

Bogotter
2004-06-21, 05:43 AM
It's refreshing to not be in the middle of a huge plot thread again. Now you can do these silly one offs where you can be really creative.

Banjo is the name of an eccentric old NPC in my campaign...so I think the concept of Banjo the puppet deity hit home for me.

CountArioch_XXVIII
2004-06-21, 08:26 AM
Banjo the god of hand puppets. That's priceless. ;D

Wayfaring_Stranger
2004-06-21, 09:11 AM
"Banjo is a state of mind, Roy"

Must be one of the funniest lines in ages ;D

Wanderer
2004-06-21, 09:30 AM
I am reminded of the time one of our folks created an insane cleric who worshipped a rock.

...Now that I think about it, he actually did manage to get a few converts for the rock too...

Matuse
2004-06-21, 09:31 AM
It's no wonder that D&D gods are so powerful. With just one (daffy, strange, and not very bright) worshipper, Banjo can already smite people, if only a teensy bit.

Get some good sized following going and that's a hand puppet to be reckoned with.

Tarlonniel
2004-06-21, 10:50 AM
I can see this turning into a wonderful ventriloquism act - with Elan as the dummy ;D

Grey Watcher
2004-06-21, 11:40 AM
I can only sit and wonder how far this Banjo story will go. And isn't Smiting something Paladins do?

RawBearNYC
2004-06-21, 12:27 PM
I'm sure a god could do it too. Remember, it's the puppet doing the smiting, not Elan.

Salzorin
2004-06-21, 12:46 PM
So with that little smite at the end... does that mean that Elan's not so much "thinking" about multi-classing cleric but perhaps he's already gone and done it?

Calyn
2004-06-21, 01:45 PM
Giant, I think you've started a new cult. ;D

I got a good laugh out of the pantomime horse bit. Was that an intentional reference to my favorite episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus, or just a funny choice of puppetry?

The Giant
2004-06-21, 01:59 PM
Only insofar as I would not even know what a pantomime horse was without having watched every episode of MPFC. :)

Calyn
2004-06-21, 06:05 PM
*sweet* 8)

Makes me want to go home and pop that episode right in.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-21, 06:50 PM
So with that little smite at the end... does that mean that Elan's not so much "thinking" about multi-classing cleric but perhaps he's already gone and done it?

Well, the gods do respond to non-clerical followers you know.

That said, it would be really funny if Elan took cleric. He'd be trying to do everything Durkon does and failing miserably. It'd be wacky hijinks ahoy.

This reminds me of something bugging me: why isn't Roy a paladin? I mean for both "in character" and "out of character" reasons.

Out of character, is it funnier to have the "fighter that's not really a dumb fighter" thing instead of a "righteous guy around a bunch of not-so-do-gooders who has to compromise his morals every now and then for the greater good?"

In character...he can't summon up the piety? He's skeptical of the divine arts?

The Giant
2004-06-21, 07:40 PM
This reminds me of something bugging me: why isn't Roy a paladin?

Geez, you sound just like his dad. ;)

Out of character, is it funnier to have the "fighter that's not really a dumb fighter" thing instead of a "righteous guy around a bunch of not-so-do-gooders who has to compromise his morals every now and then for the greater good?"

Personally, I think the former is funnier. Paladins that have to deal with non-paladin morals have been done to death in every D&D campaign since the beginning of the hobby. It's a cliche. I found the idea of an extremely intelligent, well-educated fighter far more original.

Plus, technically, he would be utterly forbidden from traveling with Belkar after a while, under the "you can't have allies that consistently offend your morals" clause. He also lies to his allies to get them to do the right thing from time to time, and he's not above enjoying hurting someone (i.e. Nale).

Having someone with Detect Evil would have quashed the whole Linear Guild story pretty quick, too.

In character...he can't summon up the piety? He's skeptical of the divine arts?

Well, it's just as reasonable to ask why WOULD he be a paladin. Just because he's Lawful Good? That seems unlikely. There are a lot of Lawful Good people in most worlds, very few of them are paladins. Roy is a fighter because he wanted to be a fighter. End of story.

Matuse
2004-06-21, 07:45 PM
Why isn't Roy a paladin? Because taking that 3rd level of fighter is NOT dumb, and paladins don't get weapon specialization.

Scorpina
2004-06-21, 08:18 PM
Maybe Paladin College costs more than Fighter College so his dad wouldn't let him go there...

mossfoot
2004-06-21, 08:51 PM
Much like Dilbert, it's often the little nuances with a minimalist art style that crack me up. This time it's Roy's expression and giving Elan the thumbs up. "Good luck with that" ;D

Invariel
2004-06-21, 09:18 PM
Banjo's favoured weapon is probably the banjo. Like, duh. :P

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-21, 09:28 PM
Roy is a fighter because he wanted to be a fighter. End of story.

*digs it*

Matuse
2004-06-22, 03:48 AM
So how soon until Elan is laying there, helpless, and holds up his puppet and asks himself: "WWBtCD?"

Grey Watcher
2004-06-22, 07:58 PM
I can picture Elan trying to inspire competence in himself to make up for the lack of Cleric levels in himself. "Cure, Cure, Cure, Cure Moderate Wounds!"

Calyn
2004-06-22, 08:07 PM
The silly thing is, he could probably do it himself if he paid attention to his bardic magic. ;D

Nighthawk4
2004-06-23, 10:22 AM
Has anyone noticed that with Elan being a Bard about to Multi-Class to Cleric, it seems appropriate that he should choose a Deity like Banjo - who is pretty close to being a Bard-like character as well?

Some great lines there again - like the need for Wisdom being illustrated immediately by the dumb response that Elan makes. Very much like the 'dumb fighter' lines in the cast of characters.

Banjo T-Shirts please?

MacDude
2004-06-23, 02:46 PM
I can hardly wait for the right moment to come along so that Roy can say, "Send in the Clowns" ::)

ShadowDragon8685
2004-06-23, 02:51 PM
Am I the only one who remembers that, as a Cleric, Durkon has Detect Evil?

And Haley seems to have enough ranks in Sense Motive (or maybe just enough cynacism) that she can wing it pretty accurately?

Hehehe... Inspire Cure... That should be funny. :)

TheArcaneTrickster
2004-06-23, 11:42 PM
Am I the only one who remembers that, as a Cleric, Durkon has Detect Evil?

And Haley seems to have enough ranks in Sense Motive (or maybe just enough cynacism) that she can wing it pretty accurately?

Yes, I have noticed. But that would all require them to have the wherewithall to 1)Prepare such spells and 2)To not be utterly irrisponsible in every way. Guess which one refers to which, you'll be plesantly surprised!

Meier_Link_69
2004-06-24, 02:50 AM
Is it me or Elan's IQ has gone up a notch or two. After all he has already convinced Haley and Belkar into worshipping Banjo.

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-24, 03:27 AM
Is it me or Elan's IQ has gone up a notch or two. After all he has already convinced Haley and Belkar into worshipping Banjo.

It doesn't take much to convince Belkar...but his way of keeping them all under the roof of Banjo was spiff-tacular. I think that falls under his Charisma more than Intelligence, tho.

Bogotter
2004-06-24, 05:53 AM
Great job on the comic today, Rich. One of the funniest in my opinion. Belkar in the Banjo costume is hilarious!

mossfoot
2004-06-24, 05:56 AM
That one is frickin brilliant! In the span of one comic the religion has gone from humble beginings, to an orthodox/reformist split, to modern recruitement incentives. This one made me laugh out loud!

Nighthawk4
2004-06-24, 08:16 AM
So what would V have said if the coffee maker did espresso? ;)

Grey Watcher
2004-06-24, 09:08 AM
Maybe he should've offered a toaster? ;D ;D ;D

Tarlonniel
2004-06-24, 10:32 AM
Brilliant!! I always worry when comics/comedians get onto the topic of religion - few people know how to be funny without being offensive. But the Giant, as always, pulled it off beautifully. Fantastic strip. All hail Banjo! ;D

mossfoot
2004-06-24, 10:56 AM
I always worry when comics/comedians get onto the topic of religion - few people know how to be funny without being offensive.

Oh, I'm sure SOMEONE out there will find it offensive. Just nobody here, thank goodness ;)

Scorpina
2004-06-24, 11:00 AM
Somebody somewhere finds everything offensive. ::)

Rodrick_the_Red
2004-06-24, 11:14 AM
Great strip today. I laughed for five minutes. Belkar dressed up as Banjo was good for two minutes alone! :D :o :D

Rodrick the Red

Nareth
2004-06-24, 12:03 PM
Personally, I find this strip to be very offensive. The mere notion that a religion could be based on a puppet?!?!? That's just wrong on so many levels....really?? A free coffee maker?? Um...ok...never mind,

ALL HAIL BANJO!!!

(And yes, I was being sarcastic about being offended)

Tarlonniel
2004-06-24, 12:23 PM
Now that I think about it, I have two questions. #1 - when did Haley become anti-killing? In #29 she happily disposed of at least two goblins in order to get their loot. And #2 - why *I* instead of I?

davericsdamsel
2004-06-24, 12:41 PM
so we are all enjoying banjo - but today I realized that there is still some dwarf on dwarf action happening someplace...

Calyn
2004-06-24, 12:53 PM
Oh my. Today's comic is, hands down, the funniest so far.

I'm sitting in my cube at work desperately trying to keep myself from bothering the people around me from laughing so hard.

Belkar as Banjo? With a dead goat on a fire and Belkar holding a sacrificial knife? *laughing my ... off*

Orthodox banjoism? And Vaarsuvius with his final "Never!"

I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

The Giant
2004-06-24, 01:18 PM
Now that I think about it, I have two questions. #1 - when did Haley become anti-killing? In #29 she happily disposed of at least two goblins in order to get their loot.

Goblins, not humans. Haley is against murdering people, not killing evil monsters. Specifically, she's against Banjo killing Roy.

Besides, we have no idea if those goblins attacked her or not. She'll definitely kill in self-defense.

And #2 - why *I* instead of I?

Because the bold doesn't show up well on a one-letter word. And you can't capitalize it for emphasis either.

----------
Rest assured we'll get back to the dwarves. I just thought they needed some "alone time". (Cue cheesy porno music...)

Rest assured we'll get back to the dwarves. I just thought they needed some "alone time". (Cue cheesy porno music...)

Eww. I did not need that audio-visual image.

Then again, you're never really alone in the dungeon of an evil overlord. I wonder whether that fancy scrying-mirror of Xykon's includes a darkvision mode.

Melifaxis
2004-06-24, 03:20 PM
That was great! How did I just know Belkar would be joining the cult of Banjo ;D

Good stuff!

Sebastian
2004-06-24, 03:36 PM
Hey, maybe Hylgia could leave that loser Loki and became a priestess of the Almighty Banjo. :)

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-24, 03:40 PM
Then we'd get to see another divine showdown (like the one that was just interrupted above the clouds): Banjo vs. Loki!

It'd be spifftastical.

GypsyThorn
2004-06-24, 04:03 PM
Then we'd get to see another divine showdown (like the one that was just interrupted above the clouds): Banjo vs. Loki!

It'd be spifftastical.
We've already hashed this out in the "Banjo the Clown" area. (Actually, I mentioned the possibility and no one disputed it. I think that means it's hashed out.)

Banjo will become a minor god under the wing of Loki, serving Loki and enhancing Loki's prestige and power. Simple, yet elegant, and none of the silly god vs. god stuff need come down.

On the other hand, if it Loki does need to put down Banjo, I foresee a giant foot descending from the clouds. Or a 16-ton weight. Either would work.

Tarlonniel
2004-06-24, 06:25 PM
Or a 16-ton weight.

In anvil form. Purchased from ACME Inc. ;D

Nim
2004-06-24, 08:20 PM
Hm. This 16-ton weight, even if it doesn't kill Banjo, will certainly finish him off as a god since it would probably kill his only cleric as well. Yeah, that's a pointless observation, but what the heck.

ShadowDragon8685
2004-06-24, 10:45 PM
Man, when I DM again, you can bet that Banjo the Clown is going in my Pantheon, right next to Olidammara. :)

Puppetry Domain. (From BtC thread,) I need to remember that. :)

I assume that Banjo, as a god, is CG. Do his followers Turn Undead, like ole' Trigger Happy, or the more thematic Turn Comedy Critic? :)

Nim
2004-06-25, 04:42 AM
Well, that depends if you want your socks rocked. Personally, I like my socks to stay right where they are.

GypsyThorn
2004-06-25, 08:02 AM
Hm. This 16-ton weight, even if it doesn't kill Banjo, will certainly finish him off as a god since it would probably kill his only cleric as well. Yeah, that's a pointless observation, but what the heck.

Don't forget, Elan can't die, unless he is first polymorphed into Janet Leigh. And I'm sure there's some fourth-wall issues with that. Including copyright problems. (When do movies move into the public domain? Is 44 years long enough?)

JD
2004-06-25, 08:20 AM
I forsee Elan trying to convince EVERY SINGLE Goblin in the fortress to follow Banjo the Clown. And V being offered a copier....

BTW whoever said: "Now I know why D&D gods are so powerful" Remember that many gods don't have fanatical (mindless) followers as Elan and Belkar

Mizkyu
2004-06-25, 12:37 PM
This has to be one of the few strips of any webcomic, ever, in the existence of the interweb, that made me laugh out loud.

Giant, you rock my cotton socks. ;D

GypsyThorn
2004-06-25, 12:55 PM
I forsee ... V being offered a copier....

Wow, a copier for a mage. That's as wonderful for a magic user as the Decanter of Endless Water (c) that put forth holy water was for the cleric in our weekly game. (God stuff. It was for special services rendered, and didn't last forever.)

You know, of course, that the service contract is going to cost him big time. And REALLY bad news if it jams while copying something like a fireball spell.

The Giant
2004-06-25, 01:14 PM
Giant, you rock my cotton socks. ;D

I have that effect on all the ladies, though the footwear in question may vary from person to person. ;D

GypsyThorn
2004-06-25, 01:58 PM
Oh my. Today's comic is, hands down, the funniest so far.

Belkar as Banjo? With a dead goat on a fire and Belkar holding a sacrificial knife? *laughing my ... off*

I haven't laughed this hard in a while.

Agree with the funny part - Nice mix of good stuff.

But a goat? That little thing on the pyre? Looked more like a minature sheep. Maybe a marmot? Could be a rat, but it doesn't have pointy ears.

The only thing we know about it for certain is that it is definitely dead, since it's got the " X X " for the eyes. Or it's stunned. No, it can't be stunned, because if it was, there would be "X"'s scattered around its head.

I guess drawing small, dead animals just isn't something that can be done with stick figures...

Oh well, doesn't matter. I don't think Banjo the Clown cares what kind of animal gets sacrificed.

Sonofapreacherman
2004-06-25, 02:31 PM
The only thing we know about it for certain is that it is definitely dead, since it's got the " X X " for the eyes. Or it's stunned. No, it can't be stunned, because if it was, there would be "X"'s scattered around its head.
I think the "X"'s above the head indicate severe inebriation, along with a few bubbles, a squiggly mouth, and lollygagging eyes. :P

The singing little birds are generally reserved for being "stunned". ;D

GypsyThorn
2004-06-25, 02:39 PM
I think the "X"'s above the head indicate severe inebriation, along with a few bubbles, a squiggly mouth, and lollygagging eyes. :P

The singing little birds are generally reserved for being "stunned". ;D

Can Rich draw singing little birds with stick figures. I think he would have to use stars or asterisks.

Rich, please help. Would you tell us the difference between stunned, drunk, and dead?

Oh, here it is! #34 shows stunned - indeed, circling stars. http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantITP/ootscript?SK=34

Scorpina
2004-06-25, 02:54 PM
I have that effect on all the ladies, though the footwear in question may vary from person to person. ;D

So I'm missing out on something by being barefoot? :-/

Grey Watcher
2004-06-26, 01:29 AM
So I'm missing out on something by being barefoot? :-/

Not at all. Just have the Giant come over and shake your wardrobe around a bit. Your socks will get rocked just fine. ;D

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-27, 05:27 AM
Not at all. Just have the Giant come over and shake your wardrobe around a bit. Your socks will get rocked just fine. ;D

Yeah, I'll remember that if I ever set foot in a singles' bar.

"Hey baby, can I come over and shake your wardrobe around a bit?"

Except not.

The Giant
2004-06-27, 09:25 AM
I think I'm on a mission to offend someone, all of a sudden. What the hell am I thinking with this latest comic? ???

Alarra
2004-06-27, 09:28 AM
I love it. abosolutely hilarious.

TheArcaneTrickster
2004-06-27, 09:41 AM
HELP!!! I can't get the images out of my head!!! ARGH!

Duskrider_Moogle
2004-06-27, 09:42 AM
Wahahaha, the cockroaches!

Wait a second...dwarves go "squish" with each other?

Lilly
2004-06-27, 09:47 AM
There is suspossed to be some sort of message about TV and it's hypnotic powers....

But BWHAHAHAHAH!

The pop-corn is Nifty pop! And it has somesort of dragon or griffon thing on it. I wonder where that came from....

That is the funniest comic I've seen since Thursday.

Arian
2004-06-27, 09:59 AM
I think I'm on a mission to offend someone, all of a sudden. What the hell am I thinking with this latest comic? ???

I was a bit surprised, at least. This is the first episode where I've felt I needed to *think about* whether to let my kids see it, rather than just calling "The new Stick's up" as they come through the door after school.

But I think they'll probably kill me if I don't let them, so... what the heck. :-)

Though FWIW, I think the noises might have been overkill. They're funny, sure, but they do strike me as the thing more than the rest that might shift the rating...

ShadowDragon8685
2004-06-27, 10:01 AM
NOW! On the Dungeon Live chanel!

HOT! SEXY DWARF-ON-DWARF ACTION! ONLY on TDLC!

BWAAAAA-haaaahaaahaaahaaahaaa!

I love this one. Absoloutly love it. I don't know what you were thinkin, but you're on a mission to entertain, and I think you just rolled a natural 20!

The Giant
2004-06-27, 10:13 AM
I was a bit surprised, at least. This is the first episode where I've felt I needed to *think about* whether to let my kids see it, rather than just calling "The new Stick's up" as they come through the door after school.

Eeek. Sorry then. I hope they're not, like 5 years old. Actually, if they are, they just won't get it. It's if they're, like 11 or 12 that it will be a problem.

Though FWIW, I think the noises might have been overkill. They're funny, sure, but they do strike me as the thing more than the rest that might shift the rating...
Yeah, probably. Again, I don't know what was going through my mind, but it was just too funny to me to leave out.

TheArcaneTrickster
2004-06-27, 10:21 AM
Sure, it was hilarious. But I'm still twitching... :o :P :o

Arian
2004-06-27, 11:01 AM
Eeek. Sorry then. I hope they're not, like 5 years old. Actually, if they are, they just won't get it. It's if they're, like 11 or 12 that it will be a problem.

In fact, they're 11 and 9. :) But it's not really a problem.

I'm not complaining that it's unsuitable (they have indeed seen worse now and then); simply agreeing that you've done something unprecedented - I've never had to ask myself whether it's suitable or not, before now.

Don't let it worry you. It's my job to 'police' what my daughters see, not yours. Draw on. ;)

Matuse
2004-06-27, 11:52 AM
Scary thing is, as soon as I saw the "Squish" from the crystal ball, I *knew* the things-in-the-shadows was watching dorf pron.

Hmm, is having sex all night considered resting as far as getting your spells back the next day?

Sebastian
2004-06-27, 12:09 PM
At least this answer the ages-old question about D&D clerics and celibacy :)

Terandir
2004-06-27, 12:16 PM

That's interesting, I think. So phrases like "Let's kill those losers!" or the head of a kobold being sawed off for a hat never struck you as something maybe not suitable for your daughters?

Don't get me wrong... no offense meant, I was just wondering... I know, it is an old discussion, "Is making love worse than violence?", but I'm always wondering when it comes to things like this... ;D

Greetings,
Terandir