PDA

View Full Version : Wizards' Free Adventures / Running a Newbie Game

Glawackus
2008-02-19, 08:50 AM
I've been contemplating running an introductory game of sorts, for people who want to learn how to play D&D. (I already have several potentials lined up, along with a few fairly experienced players, so I'm not concerned about attendance.)

I don't really feel like whipping up a whole new adventure, though, and my eye fell across Wizards' plentiful stash of free, ready-made adventures (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20030530b). (not to mention the ones they've already been putting out on the Dungeon page or whatever it's called)

So, my question is: anyone ever run any of these? Good? Bad? Good-but-you-need-to-tone-down-encounter-x?

Also, does anyone have any links to any cheat sheets for people to have in front of them during a game? (I think I'm going to whip up character sheets myself so that we can leap right into playing.)

Panda-s1
2008-02-21, 06:10 PM
This isn't an official adventure, but it should work: http://paizo.com/store/paizoExclusives/v5748btpy7xpy
It's Hollow's Last Hope, the adventure Paizo gave away for Free RPG Day last year. It's free to download and even comes with four premade characters, the two-weapon fighter, hot sorceror, healing cleric, and knife throwing rogue, everything needed for a first level party.

sickler
2008-02-21, 08:02 PM
I've DMed about 7 of those premade adventures a couple years back when I was fairly new to DMing and also didn't have much prep time due to college/work. They're all pretty laid out but don't have much feeling to them unless you actually work your own story into them and make "connection" adventures because they are all in fairly unique enviroments.

However, they are pretty good in a pinch or if either you or your players are unfamiliar with the game because they allow you to ignore parts of the game (monster creation/loot/maps/etc) and learn how to simply play. Once you understand how, then you can start making your own monsters, your own loot, your own adventures. :)