PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Get My Healing Shiv

FatherMalkav
2008-02-19, 02:22 PM
I have an idea for a character based on something I saw on this board last week; the healing shiv. Basically, it was a knife that had 'Cure Critical Wound' cast when it was stabbed into something. I decided I'd like this to be a piece of fluff of a character, and coupled it with my recent want to try a undead character. Sadly, I'm kinda of new to D&D and don't have much info memorized. I like the idea of trying an undead sorc. with the heaing shiv (inflict critical wound now) but the issue is I only know of two itelligent 'playable' races that could masquerade in towns and the like without drawig attetio; a lich with some magical disguise or a vampire. Both of these are kind of stretching it and have large LA. I think there is a race in Libris Mortus caled the Necropolitin that would be good, but I don't know much about it. Can someone offer an intelligent undead that could function in public (no Morhg) and doesn't have a huge LA?

Also, I know undead inn negative energy driven (reverse Cure and Inflict) and makes you immune to mind affecting powers, but what else does it do?

AslanCross
2008-02-19, 05:56 PM
As far as I can tell, the Necropolitan is the way to go. Undead monsters usually have a very high LA to reflect the host of immunities and special abilities they get from being undead.

Libris Mortis also gives a by-level progression of undead monsters, so you can start as a Vampire on way lower ECL.

RTGoodman
2008-02-19, 11:51 PM
Alternatively, instead of actually being an undead, you could just be a non-good human/elf/whatever with the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat from Libris Mortis. If you have it, positive energy (cure spells) hurt you, but negative energy (inflict spells) heals you. That seems to work for what you want, without you being a real undead.

Prometheus
2008-02-20, 12:32 AM
The price for an item of use-activated Cure/Inflict Critical Wounds is pretty steep. 7 (Caster level) * 4 (Spell level) * 2000 (continuous base) * 1.5 (non affinity. 84,000 g. Of course there is probably some Doo-dad in the MIC for twentith of the price just to prove me wrong.

Funkyodor
2008-02-20, 02:05 AM
Instead of making it continuous, try making it 3/day or something. Might reduce the cost involved. Or try lowering the spell to Cure Serious. Just make sure that when ever you stab yourself for a heal, you focus, concentrate, and scream real loud in a deep bass roar so that everyone in the jungle can hear you and be worried. (Predator moment).

TheOOB
2008-02-20, 02:42 AM
Keep in mind, a dread necromancer with the tomb tainted soul feat gets infinite self healing at level 1, though it's too slow to be useful in battle.

evisiron
2008-02-20, 02:46 AM
Instead of making it continuous, try making it 3/day or something. Might reduce the cost involved. Or try lowering the spell to Cure Serious. Just make sure that when ever you stab yourself for a heal, you focus, concentrate, and scream real loud in a deep bass roar so that everyone in the jungle can hear you and be worried. (Predator moment).

Hehe, intergalatic travel, but no medkits that don't burn like crazy...

As for the shiv, it had actually come up amongst the group once. Just make sure people you want to heal know why you are coming at them with a knife...

Talic
2008-02-20, 03:23 AM
Heh, I can see that now...

Injured guy: What the heck are you doing!? Ack! Get away from me, you psycho!

Character: I'm only trying to help! Stop squirming so I can stab you!

Adumbration
2008-02-20, 03:27 AM
You could always play a mummy... EL 13, but if you remove the wrappings, wear a thick robe and a hat of disguise, you should be fine.

FatherMalkav
2008-02-20, 10:05 AM
I like the Tomb-Tainted Soul idea, I may go with that instead. As for the cost, I was planning on having it only be 3/day or something like that. If was going to look for some way to only have it work on me, but I like the point Talic made.

Any other ideas? I'm a D&D newbie remember. I apoligize for my bad spelling before, my old keyboard was merssing up and some keys weren't working well I guess.

Person_Man
2008-02-20, 10:27 AM
Necropolitan basically just gives you the undead type. You lose a level. You gain undead traits (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Undead_Type):

No Constitution score.
Darkvision out to 60 feet.
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Cannot heal damage on its own if it has no Intelligence score, although it can be healed. Negative energy (such as an inflict spell) can heal undead creatures. The fast healing special quality works regardless of the creature’s Intelligence score.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
Uses its Charisma modifier for Concentration checks.
Not at risk of death from massive damage, but when reduced to 0 hit points or less, it is immediately destroyed.
Not affected by raise dead and reincarnate spells or abilities. Resurrection and true resurrection can affect undead creatures. These spells turn undead creatures back into the living creatures they were before becoming undead.
Proficient with its natural weapons, all simple weapons, and any weapons mentioned in its entry.
Proficient with whatever type of armor (light, medium, or heavy) it is described as wearing, as well as all lighter types. Undead not indicated as wearing armor are not proficient with armor. Undead are proficient with shields if they are proficient with any form of armor.
Undead do not breathe, eat, or sleep.

Its a really good deal for +1ish Level Adjustment. The down side is that your DM will most definitely throw enemy clerics/dread necromancers/whatever at you, which have all sorts of ways of screwing you. And if you die, you're dead. No coming back. So its only a good idea to be undead if you're a spellcaster or have a very potent defensive build with a means of easily retreating from combat.

A pretty old combo is to use Lord of the Uttercold (Comp Arcane) with Beckon the Frozen (Frostburn). Uttercold turns the damage of any energy spell into 50% cold, 50% negative energy. Beckon the Frozen makes anything you summon have the Cold subtype, giving it immunity to cold damage. Summon undead, who are healed by negative energy. Ta-da! Healing Uttercold Walls of Fire! Energy Resistance/Immunity is pretty easy to come by via a variety of long lasting spells, so if you want to be a Necropolitan, you can heal yourself as well.

Or you can avoid all the undead crazyness and just take the Smiting Spell feat (PHBII). For +1 spell level adjustment, you can charge any weapon or piece of ammo with any touch spell. It holds the charge for up to 1 minute. Your familiar can pull the same trick for free, and indefinitely, as long as you don't cast another spell. Particularly fun if you're a Hexblade or Ranger (using the urban companion/familiar variant).

Or you can just buy a Spell Storing Weapon (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Spell_Storing).

Or you can get a Weapon Familiar (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Weapon_Familiar_(DnD_Familiar_Feat)).