PDA

View Full Version : help with placing rogue abilities

freetobeuandme
2008-02-19, 09:23 PM
my halfing rogue has the stats:
I need help placing those. I know dex should be the highest, and a high intelligence helps with skill point but other than that I have no clue.

ladditude
2008-02-19, 09:34 PM
15 Dex
14 Int
14 Con
12 Wis/Str
10 Wis/Str
8 Cha

Legoshrimp
2008-02-19, 09:35 PM
I am not sure but I think this is probally a good build.

Str. 8
Dex. 15
Con. 10
Int. 14
Wis. 12
Cha. 14

This is where I probally would put the scores, but what role are you going to be filling? Also what lvl are you going to start at?

Chronos
2008-02-19, 10:15 PM
The 15 and one of the 14s go in Dex and Int respectively, as I think most folks will agree (and all level-up points go into Dex). For the others, there are some questions:

For Strength, what do you intend to carry on you at all times? Add up the weight of that, and find what Strength you need to carry that as a light load (remember to take your racial penalty into account). If you're starting at higher than level 3 or so, you can probably afford a Heward's Handy Haversack, which makes this question largely moot. Your melee ability probably won't depend much on Strength: You should be using ranged weapons or Weapon Finesse, so your attack roll is based on Dex, and most of your damage output is from Sneak Attack.

For Charisma, do you expect to have to be the party face, and do you expect to be relying a lot on Use Magic Device in combat? If the answer to either question is "yes", then put a decent score in Charisma. Otherwise, put as much or as little into it as is appropriate for the character you want to play (dump if you're going purely for optimization).

Wisdom will have an effect on Listen, Spot, and Will saving throws, and not much else. Again, what score you puts here depends more on what you want to roleplay than on mechanics.

And finally, Con. A higher Constitution is always better, for any character, but as a rogue, you should be relying primarily on not getting hit (or preferably, not even targeted) in the first place, not on soaking up damage. So if there's some other score you want more, you can afford to have a low-ish score here.

holywhippet
2008-02-19, 11:44 PM
Dexterity, Intelligence and Charisma are the most important stats for a rogue. Dexterity is important because of lockpicking, trap disarming, stealth etc. Also, you'll want to be fighting at range as much as possible so you need dex for weapons accuracy. Intelligence is important because it boosts your skill points and a rogue is all about using skills. Charisma is important, not so much because the rogue will be the talker of the group (they might be) but because charisma helps gather information, use magic device, perform, disguise and bluff - all of which can be very important for a rogue.