PDA

View Full Version : Please help me break my ranger even more

YogSothoth
2008-02-20, 12:59 AM
Guys, I'm in a campaign using primarily Heroes of Horror/BoVD for its source material, but in general w can apply any rules we want. I'm trying to break my ranger as much as possible. any tips would be appreciated.
Ranger 10
Str 18
Dex 18
Con 15 (Amulet of Con+2)
Int/Wis/Cha 13

Feats:
Rapid Shot, Precise Shot, Manyshot
Improved Crit (Longbow)
Favored Enemy Orc, Undead, Magical Beast

+1 Keen Holy Mighty Composite Longbow, 1d8 + 5 + 1d6 holy, 17-20/x3
Attack bonus ~+18/+13

brian c
2008-02-20, 01:07 AM
Take Improved Rapid Shot (CWarrior I think). That's all I have to contribute; not broken at all, but it's a very nice feat.

Zincorium
2008-02-20, 01:36 AM
Book of vile darkness?

Be a tiefling or something similar and go into the mortal hunter PrC. Bonuses against mortals, which includes a large number of creatures you'll probably face. You get Polymorph Self as a special ability, with a duration of permanent if you can get a piece of whatever it is you're polymorphing into.

FinalJustice
2008-02-20, 03:34 AM
Holy mother of cheese, hear this guy, he knows what he's talking about!!

I'm pretty sure in Champions of Ruin there's a magical enhancement which doubles your arrows. Pretty nasty.

Blue Paladin
2008-02-20, 11:27 AM
If you're an elf, you can take Elven substitution levels (PHBII I think) at 1 and 5. There's little changes too, like HD and skill points, but I don't remember those exactly. What I do remember is that if you pick orc or undead (or "servant of Lolth", which includes drow, driders, and monstrous spiders), your favored enemy bonus is +3 instead of +2. Combine with the prestige class Darkwood Stalker (Complete Warrior) for additional +3s vs. the same targets. As a devoted ranger, you probably already qualify for the PrC by accident (except maybe Speak Language (orc), but that's just 2 skill points away).

This isn't even exceptionally cheezy; it's just 50% more bonus than you'd otherwise get. Combined with the gear you already have (and a well-timed application of Hunter's Mercy), that can easily change a +36 crit on an evil orc/drow to a +45 crit. For the 1d8+1d6 part of the damage, you normally need to max both dice to trigger a save for massive damage; with the +3 FE bonuses, even a-little-below-average roll will still trigger massive damage.

Also, I notice you have Improved Critical already. It won't stack with the Keen enchantment; you might as well get something else on the bow.

Person_Man
2008-02-20, 11:47 AM
Sword of the Arcane Order feat from Champions of Valor. Lets a Paladin or Ranger memorize Wizard spells. All the fun of a Gish, none of the crazy multi-classing.

ColdBrew
2008-02-20, 12:07 PM
Needs more Splitting enhancement. Everyone needs more Splitting.

Person_Man
2008-02-20, 01:03 PM
+1 Keen Holy Mighty Composite Longbow, 1d8 + 5 + 1d6 holy, 17-20/x3 Attack bonus ~+18/+13

Keen Longbows are 19-20/*3, not 17-20/*3. Also, Keen effects almost never stack.

Needs more Splitting enhancement. Everyone needs more Splitting.

Agreed. I think its in Champions of Ruin? +3 enhancement? Every arrow you fire becomes 2 arrows, or something crazy like that. I've never actually met a DM who allows it. But hey, if he does, more power to ya. If that's the case, I'd probably go with a Kensai, and get a Splitting Knockback Seeking Brilliant Energy Composite Bow, and dump my cash into special ammo.

Partysan
2008-02-20, 01:04 PM
Greater Manyshot?

Squash Monster
2008-02-20, 02:17 PM
Is it too late to get the Wild Shape Ranger variant from UA? That's definitely worth it.

Craig1f
2008-02-20, 03:48 PM
Three levels of scout

Feats:
Swift Hunter
Improved Skirmish