PDA

View Full Version : Any way for a Non-Paladin to get a Special Mount?

lux_aeterna
2008-02-20, 03:28 AM
The title pretty much says it all. I'm playing a Favored Soul with a vow of poverty and trying to find a way to get access to a mount. I'm sure that I can use my high diplomacy check to borrow one any time I need it for an adventure, but I really would like to find a way to get one more reliably.

Does anyone know of feats that can be used to gain something like a special mount?

Crow
2008-02-20, 03:30 AM
You could take a level of Druid.

edited becasue I missed the VoP part.

Zincorium
2008-02-20, 03:37 AM
Borrow a pony and hit it in the head with your simple weapon until it's intelligence score decreases.

Oh, you meant the other kind. The Skylord (book of exalted deeds) and Ashworm
Dragoon (sandstorm) PrCs both give similar mounts.

Shademan
2008-02-20, 03:50 AM
go to the abyss or hells of baator. catch a huge fiendish or infernal dire-badger.
train it.
VOILA!

my old golbin had a infernal dire-badger mount!

Skjaldbakka
2008-02-20, 03:52 AM
Halfling Outrider is the only PrC that comes to mind. Are you a halfling and/or have a GM that would allow you to make a few alterations to the class to make it appropriate for your character?

Alternately, you did say you were a favored soul. Have you considered using summoning or calling spells to procure a mount?

leperkhaun
2008-02-20, 03:56 AM
wild cohort feat.

kinda like getting a cohort through leadership, but its an animal.

Aquillion
2008-02-20, 03:57 AM
Are you even allowed to borrow expensive things (like mounts) with VoP? I'm pretty sure you can't.

You could convince your party arcane caster to cast Phantom Steed, I guess. But I'm pretty sure you can't borrow one that costs money.

Adumbration
2008-02-20, 04:00 AM
Or Exalted Cohort feat. Could get you an unicorn, if you're high level enough.

doorknobdeity
2008-02-20, 04:40 AM
wild cohort feat.

kinda like getting a cohort through leadership, but its an animal.

From the Wizards site:
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a
Pretty good if you want non-paladin, non-monstrous cavalry.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-02-20, 06:10 AM
Would it be totally out of the D&D spirit for me to suggest that you could acquire one through in-character means?

Talic
2008-02-20, 06:16 AM
First, it cannot be an owned animal of any sort. The animal must freely choose to follow you. Thus, it needs to be independent, so celestial, or wild. Druid would be easiest. Paladin 5 would work. Leadership for alternate followers, using a mountable creature, would work.

RTGoodman
2008-02-20, 08:03 AM
Well, it's not "Non-Paladin," but you could see if your DM would let you fiddle around with the prerequisites (i.e., the turn undead part and maybe alignment) and take some levels of the Prestige Paladin, found part of the way down the page here (http://systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/unearthedPrestige.html).

Funkyodor
2008-02-20, 08:29 AM
Scour the globe for a mount with a decent intelligence (pegasus), tounges, diplomacy, and handle animal. Voila! A handy friend that lets you ride him. And as long as you treat him like a friend, and not merchandise, then I'm sure that you'll be the best of buds and not violate the VoP.

AtomicKitKat
2008-02-20, 10:16 AM
Holy Liberator(Complete Divine?) will give you a Special Mount, similar to the Paladin's.

Aquillion
2008-02-20, 10:16 AM
Would it be totally out of the D&D spirit for me to suggest that you could acquire one through in-character means?The problem is that Vow of Poverty seems to prevent most of the usual methods for that.

Rad
2008-02-20, 10:18 AM
Would it be totally out of the D&D spirit for me to suggest that you could acquire one through in-character means?

That would be perfectly reasonable actually, but the VoP forbids that.

Dan_Hemmens
2008-02-20, 10:19 AM
The problem is that Vow of Poverty seems to prevent most of the usual methods for that.

How does "by in character means" translate to "pay cash money to get it out of a book".

Aquillion
2008-02-20, 10:27 AM
How does "by in character means" translate to "pay cash money to get it out of a book".VoP doesn't just forbid paying money. You can't own anything of value, with very few exceptions, and can't use any workarounds to get around this. That means no going out and capturing an animal, no raising your own animal, no taming an animal, no borrowing, no stealing... you get the drift. Animals are items of value, and VoP keeps you from having one.

Now, could you try and befriend some sort of ridable intelligent NPC and convince them to go with you on an adventure? Yes. The OP, though, wanted something reliable, and that certainly isn't. Trying to get a permanent NPC companion to use as you see fit (ie. to just ride around everywhere) without spending a feat for it is practically the definition of cheese; you can't just put "by in-character means" in front of it and make it all right.