View Full Version : Arena Tournament, Round 32: Jeanette vs. JSB

ArenaManager
2008-02-20, 05:36 AM
Arena Tournament, Round 32: Jeanette vs. JSB

Map:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b30/Kyeudo/GlassArena.jpg

XP Award: 300 XP
GP Award: 300 GP

Fishy - Jeanette (http://www.thetangledweb.net/addon.php?addon=Profiler&page=view_char&cid=8749)
Talic - JSB (http://www.coyotecode.net/profiler/view.php?id=3019)

All Combatants, please roll initiative.

Talic
2008-02-20, 06:58 AM
Ah, let the battle of the people who came in second in a 2 man war commence...

Well, after purchases, and initiative, and spell selection, and all that. Will post my part of it in a bit.

However, I'd like to start by saying no immediate purchases, though I reserve the right to purchase items in response to your purchases.

Oh, and I'd wish you good luck, but that would mean you'd kill me, so I'll just say may the best and luckiest one here win.

Talic
2008-02-20, 08:39 AM
Initiative: [roll0]

@Refs:

Spells Memorized:

Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue x3

Lv 1
Backbiter x5

I've reviewed our sheets, Enhanced Resilience, can I get a basic rundown? Is that the feat that grants 4 HP of damage prevented per point spent instead of 1? I'm afraid I don't have that book.

Fishy
2008-02-20, 11:12 AM
We're Number Two! We're Number Two!

Enhanced Resiliance does exactly what you think it does. What do Backbiter and Sonic Blast do? Additionally, Jeanette is going to spend her last 20 gold on on a Heavy Steel Shield- which is probably stupid for fighting a Wizard, but I'm sticking to it.

Initiative: [roll0]

Jeanette starts in the red corner, B13, wielding her mace. May the best man win, we who are about to die, salute you, etc, etc.

Stats:Position: B13
HP: 9/9
AC: 14, Touch: 10
Saves: +3/+0/+2
Power Points: 5
Psionic Focus: Yes

Talic
2008-02-20, 02:25 PM
Both are from the Spell Compendium. Sonic Blast does 1d4 damage, fort save or be deafened for 1 round. Backbiter lasts 1 round/ level (or until discharge), targets weapons only, and is will save or next time it's attacked with, it hits its wielder. Any other tidbits from my sheet you need? I believe most of the other spells are SRD.

No purchases in response.

I'll start in Y13, scroll in hand.

Standard action: Cast spell off scroll.
Free action: Drop scroll.
Move action: Draw dagger.

Edit: Done

stats for refs:

Movement: Y13 to S13. (stats did not match stated actions, corrected)
HP: 5
AC: 17 (+3 Dex, +4 Mage Armor)
Saves: F +1, R +3, W +2
In hand: Dagger
No Readied actions.
Effects: Mage Armor 1/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue x3

Lv 1
Backbiter x5

Fishy
2008-02-20, 07:24 PM
Jeanette manifests Wild Surged Vigor, turns all silvery.

5% Psychic Enervation chance: [roll0]

Thankful that her powers still seem to work, she moves to H13, done.

stats: Position: H13
HP: 10+ 9/9
Power Points: 4

Talic
2008-02-20, 10:39 PM
Makes a couple threatening gestures with the dagger. (Free Action)
Move from Y13 to Z7. (Move)
Cast a spell. (Normally, I'd give you a spellcraft check to identify, however, as it's a Trained only skill, you don't get the option.)

Done

Stats For Refs:

Spell cast: Touch of fatigue, holding charge.

Movement: Y13 to Z7.
Effects: Mage Armor 2/600, Touch of Fatigue (Held charge, touch attacks considered Armed Attacks)

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Fishy
2008-02-21, 01:50 AM
Oh no, he has a dagger!

Double move to S12, done.

Stats:Position: S12

Talic
2008-02-21, 02:32 AM
Yes... yes he does.... MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! By the way, doesn't that big lead weight on a stick weigh you down?

ROUND 3!!!!!

Move from Z7 to X2.

Done.

Stats and stuff for refs:

Readied action: Touch attack if my opponent attempts a melee attack.

Movement: Z7 to X2.
Effects: Mage Armor 3/600, Touch of Fatigue (Held charge, touch attacks considered Armed Attacks)

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Woo, 2 rounds down on that vigor, 18 more to go.

Fishy
2008-02-21, 09:54 AM
Sorry about the delay, forgot to subscribe to this thread.

Double Move to X3 (through X7), which doubtlessly triggers whatever readied action you have. Done, after that gets resolved.

Stats:Position: S12
Vigor: 2/20

Talic
2008-02-21, 10:41 AM
Nope. :) No readied actions taken here. I figured you'd be moving there, your win condition seems to be, "beat elf with extreme prejudice".

No worries on the delay though, the match is progressing plenty quickly. :)

Round 4

No visible actions, other than a tongue sticking out, and a audible "Phbbbbt!" sound.

Your turn.

For refs:

Readied action: Touch attack if my opponent attempts a melee attack.
Note: If opponent provokes an7 AoO's, I will not use my touch attack, rather, I will use my dagger.

Movement: No movement in X2.
Effects: Mage Armor 4/600, Touch of Fatigue (Held charge, touch attacks considered Armed Attacks)

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Fishy
2008-02-21, 06:48 PM
I have to say, I'm feeling some pretty rampant paranoia right now.

Jeanette's Sense Motive modifier is worse than mine, though, and she just attempts to beat the elf with her morningstar, two handed.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Not quite done: I may want to use my move action until after this gets resolved.

stats: Position: X3
Vigor: 3/20

Talic
2008-02-21, 07:40 PM
...and THAT, my friend, triggers a readied action. Remember that spell I cast earlier? Been saving it for now. Melee touch attack, -2 to hit. your touch AC, by the sheet, looks to be a 10, so if I hit that, I'll need you to make me a DC 17 Fortitude save. Regardless, since I've made no other movement this round, I will take a five foot step after the touch attack, to W1, putting me safely out of reach of that morningstar of yours.

Touch attack: [roll0]

Follow with a 5 foot step to W1.

EDIT: Curses! Foiled by my physical deficiencies!!!!

Stats for refs:

Movement: X2 to W1.
Effects: Mage Armor 4/600, Touch of Fatigue (Held charge, touch attacks considered Armed Attacks)

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

chilepepper
2008-02-22, 12:28 AM
ref chilepepper

@JSB

Please correct your stat block.

SRD-
Holding the Charge

If you don’t discharge the spell in the round when you cast the spell, you can hold the discharge of the spell (hold the charge) indefinitely. You can... blah blah blah... If the attack misses, you are still holding the charge
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm

JSB tries to poke/slap/high five you but misses and then takes a five foot step as listed. Jeanette's morning star swings through the air where her opponent just was. Jeanette may now take a move action if desired.

Fishy
2008-02-22, 12:41 AM
Waaaitaminute. You can only ready one action, and it's not his turn. Can he really make a five-foot step now? That seems like it would negate all melee combat ever.

If he actually is allowed to do that, then I follow to W2. But I think I killed him right there.

Stats:Position: X3

chilepepper
2008-02-22, 03:34 AM
ref chilepepper

SRD- (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialInitiativeActions.htm#ready)

Readying an Action

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

This tactic has been used a lot in the Arena. Although... now that I read it, I'll have to pull a high ref in here to rule on something. Please hold this match.

@high ref
It says, 'assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action.' Does that mean if he's not capable of doing it, his action is wasted. Or does it just lock it in if he is capable. In the situation above, Jeanette was going to attack JSB. JSB took a 5' step. Now Jeanette can't attack JSB, is the attack wasted, effectively swinging at air, or not. If the attack isn't wasted, Jeanette hasn't moved this round and can move and attack. The instances I've seen, someone moves in and attacks, therefor, they can't take another move and finish the attack. Not so here.

Talic
2008-02-22, 06:35 AM
There are things that make the tactic less, or non effective. For example, melee weapons such as the spiked chain, which can be used at 10 feet, or melee weapons that can also be used at range. It does greatly mitigate the effectiveness of melee attacks, though. Doesn't eliminate it. In order to use this ability, I:

Cannot move during my turn (which means if I do cast, it better be on the defensive), AND

Have to always have a readied action set to trigger on your attack (which means no casting on my turn also).

The primary reason I could do this easily is because I'm holding the charge of a touch spell. If I had chosen a spell like Sleep or Daze, I would have had to take the five foot step first, to get me out of threat range.

But, no, what I did was RAW. In fact, as far as I can see, everything thus far in the match has been, which is why I'm not exactly sure why the match is being put on hold. I'd kinda like to get back to harrying your character.

Fishy
2008-02-22, 11:34 AM
Oh, hey, if that's what it says in large block letters in the SRD, it's my fault for not reading the rules. Sorry about that minor outburst.

Talic
2008-02-22, 02:38 PM
Oh, hey, if that's what it says in large block letters in the SRD, it's my fault for not reading the rules. Sorry about that minor outburst.

Hey, I'd do the same thing, in your position. I'm just wondering why we're on hold.

Mavian
2008-02-22, 04:52 PM
High Ref Mav: Blows his Ref Whistle

Its seems like you two have sorted out the issue without us, so if there's nothing else. Game On

Fishy
2008-02-22, 10:20 PM
Alrighty, then!

Jeanette uses her move action to head to W2, done.

stats:Position: W2

Talic
2008-02-23, 03:35 AM
EDIT: Round 5

Hmmm, me in W1, you in W2... looks like you may just have me pinned down. 1st, since I missed, charge is still held on that spell. Standard action to make a melee touch attack... Hope I hit.

Yay!

Again, if it hits, DC17 Fort save.

Not done.

Stats for refs:

Movement: None yet, in W1.
Effects: Mage Armor 5/600, Touch of Fatigue (Held charge, touch attacks considered Armed Attacks)

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Fishy
2008-02-23, 05:49 AM
Immediate action: Elan Resistance thingie. Jeanette spends a power point, gets +4 to all her saves until the end of her next round. So,

Fort Save (DC 17): [roll0]

Edit: Yuck. What did I win?

Stats:Position: W2
Saves: +7/+4/+6
Power Points: 3

Talic
2008-02-23, 06:08 AM
Tell her what she's won, Rob!

Rob: Why certainly, JSB! Jeanette, you've just been hit by a Touch of Fatigue! It may not be a four day, five night stay, but for the next 1 full round, you are Fatigued. But that's not all! Thanks to the Fearsome Necromancy feat, any necromancy spell that JSB casts, that requires you to save, automatically gives you the Shaken condition for one round as well, regardless of the outcome of the save!

Actual game effects:

A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Shaken is a less severe state of fear than frightened or panicked.

EDIT: I believe the -2 to strength also puts you at medium encumbrance. The only thing that'll affect you on would be reducing your base move to 20.

In other words... for one round, you'll find it difficult to whack me senseless.

My action: 5 foot step to V1. (free)
Elect not to take my move action.

Done.

Stats for refs:

Movement: W1 to V1.
Effects: Mage Armor 5/600, Touch of Fatigue (Held charge, touch attacks considered Armed Attacks)

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Fishy
2008-02-23, 11:57 PM
Jeanette takes a moment to quietly cope with her sudden feelings of inadequacy.

refs:Standard action: Ready an action- If JSB tries to hit me with his dagger, a touch spell, or other melee attack, attack him, then 5-foot-step away.

No move actions.
Done.

Stats:Spoiler
Position: W2
Saves: +1/-3/+0
Vigor: 4/20

Talic
2008-02-24, 01:07 AM
Edit: Round 6: The Round Who Loved Me

I'm a not gonna count on being lucky twice. I was factoring in about a 15% chance of losing the match, due to a 1d8+1 or two whack.

Now, hmm. How to do this. Full round action: Withdraw.

Move from V1 to K3. That's a decent enough 60 feet of movement.

Stats for refs:

Movement: V1 to K3 via Withdraw action (V1 doesn't count as threatened)
Effects: Mage Armor 6/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Also, refs, this may take a while. My only hope of winning is getting her to expend her PP. That first round vigor was a blessing for me, and getting her to blow a resistance on a 0 level spell was another. Three to go, and I've got a shot here. If it seems like I'm running away like a chicken... I am. That vigor only lasts 20 rounds, and then she has to make a choice on whether she wants it to stay up or not.

Fishy
2008-02-24, 01:44 AM
Maybe I should have taken a swing, but I really didn't want to get double-debuffed. Anyway.

Now that the debuff has worn off, pursue to L3 via double-move.

Position: L3
Vigor: 5/20

Talic
2008-02-24, 02:49 AM
Round 7: Son of the Round

Twas a standard action that debuffed you. I could most assuredly not debuff you and continue to remain outside of the range of your one-hit-killer of steel and wood and pokeyness and owies.

Action: Full round: Withdraw :D
Movement: K3 to C8.

Free action: Stay away from me, you psycho!!!!

@Refs

I just noticed that one of my 0 level spells is banned. I selected Daze, when I meant to select Flare. Since the error was mine, I've removed it from my cast list without replacement. This is why I'm missing a 0 level spell this round.

Stats for refs:

Movement: V1 to K3 via Withdraw action (V1 doesn't count as threatened)
Effects: Mage Armor 7/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Daze x1 Illegal spell, deleted from list
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Fishy
2008-02-24, 07:43 AM
Double-move to D6.

Free action: "STOP RUNNING!"

Stats:Position: D6
Vigor: 6/20

Talic
2008-02-24, 09:05 AM
Round 8: Return of the Son of the Round

Free action: How 'bout you put down your whack stick, and I put down my dagger, and we discuss this like civilized people?

Now, you're in D6, I'm in C8, so no threats. However, you cut off my planned escape route south. So now I need another.

I'll do the hustle. :) Double move action. C8 to C20. Muah hahaha! No readied actions at this terrified hurried pace!!!!

Stats for Refs:

Movement: C8 to C20.
Effects: Mage Armor 8/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Fishy
2008-02-24, 09:23 AM
Free action: Jeanette drops her mace.
Also a free action: "Alright, fine, what *do* you want?"

@refs: Ready a move action to pick up the mace if JSB makes an attack roll at her.

So... Given that Jeanette doesn't have any ranged capability and exactly the same move speed as JSB, I'm curious. Is there a mechanism in place to discourage him from just running away for 8,000 posts?

Done.

stats: Position: D6
Vigor: 7/20

Talic
2008-02-24, 12:32 PM
Move action: Sheathe dagger, hand on hilt.

Free Action: Wow! I can't believe that actually worked. Way I see it is this. No way I'm gettin' near you while you're silvery, no way you're gettin near me when I'm tryin' to stay away. Now I could run around until whatever that spell is, is gone, or we can both leave this arena without dyin. See, I don't like that whole "bleedin" thing. No weapons, just fists, first one to hit the other wins?

Misc Action: 5 foot step to C19.

Done.

stats for refs:

Ready action: Still got that focus in my hand, even if it's in a sheath. Ready action to cast backbiter if she grabs the mace.

Movement: C20 to C19.
Effects: Mage Armor 9/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Sheesh, this has gotta be the weirdest proposal I've ever made. Heh.

chilepepper
2008-02-24, 10:06 PM
ref chilepepper

@Jeanette

When neither contestant takes an action for several rounds, there is a 10 round countdown to "The Meteor" which kills everyone in the arena. The combatants have that long to start making progress, or else. I don't know if there's been a precedent for only one combatant not making progress in a match. It'll never get to 8000 posts, I can assure you that. However, reviewing the match so far, there's no need to even worry about it yet.

Fishy
2008-02-24, 10:17 PM
Five foot step to C7, Move action draw her sickle, free action drop it. "I think you think you can do more damage with your bare hands than with the dagger."

@refsHey, thanks for that clarification.

Standard action, ready an action to pick up the sickle if JSB finishes his next turn within my charging range, like he is right now. Hardly sporting, I know.

Done.

Stats: Position: C7
Vigor: 8/20

Talic
2008-02-24, 10:39 PM
Round 10: Partly Parley

No spells, just punches. Deal?

No other actions. We're in parley, after all. Hardly considerate to scream terms over my shoulder.

Done.

For refs:

Ready action: Still got that focus in my hand, even if it's in a sheath. Ready action to cast backbiter if she attempts to melee attack me before my next action.

Movement: C19 to C18.
Effects: Mage Armor 10/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

chilepepper
2008-02-25, 01:04 AM
ref chilepepper
@JSB
In your ref spoiler, you state movement, but you didn't say the movement out of spoilers. If you meant to move, please post that now, I've seen that the high refs rule on intention in these cases, and since Jeanette hasn't moved, I'll let you take the 5'step, but you have to tell Jeanette.

Need a clarification from JSB, then Jeanette may take her turn.

Talic
2008-02-25, 01:15 AM
@Refs

Non-observable text, such as readied actions, go by spoiler block. Observable things, such as movement, go by visible area. The movement was something I was pondering and changed before posting. I just didn't update the stat block. I've lined it out to show that it's invalid. No movement for this round.

There's clarification. Go ahead, Miss Jeanette. :)

Fishy
2008-02-25, 01:45 AM
Well, 'doing nothing' triggered my readied action. Jeanette scoops the sickle off the floor, and quips "Nope!"

Full Round Action: Charge to C17, smash.

Psionic Weapon: [roll2]

Stats:Position: C17
AC: 12, Touch: 8
Psionic Focus: No
Vigor: 9/20

Talic
2008-02-25, 02:31 AM
Well, the attack triggered mine... Just cause I'm talkin', doesn't mean I'm dumb ;) I assume you meant C18, as I'm currently in C19.

Readied Action: Cast a spell, if I'm attacked in melee

First, I'll take a 5 foot step back to C20, since you're 5 feet away.

Second, I cast. No touch attacks this time. No mixing it up in melee with a close combat specialist.

Just a will save, if you would. DC 18.

@ Refs:

Readied spell, per last spoiler block, is Backbiter. She won't be shaken by my Fearsome Necromancy Effect, as the spell specifically targets the weapon, not the character.

Fishy
2008-02-25, 03:45 AM
Yeah, yeah.

Immediate action: Elan Resistance.

Will save: [roll0]

This is Backbiter, I'm guessing?

stats:Position: C18
AC: 12, Touch: 8
Power Points: 2
Vigor: 9/20

Talic
2008-02-25, 04:05 AM
Yup. Backbiter it is.

Since backstabbing's your forte, try your own!

Good news, spell is cast on the weapon, not you, so you don't have to worry about Fearsome Necromancy. Since it uses your saves, the resistance does apply.

Bad news, you failed. Weapon auto hits you, dealing full normal damage for the attack. Wielder cannot consciously reduce damage. So, that's 16 to you, by the roll, which should tear through those temp hp like a hot sickle through Elan.

Query concerning Elan wonky PP tricks: Can you reduce with Resilience in the same turn you use resistance?

Stats for refs:

Movement: C19 to C20.
Effects: Mage Armor 10/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Fishy
2008-02-25, 04:17 AM
They're Immediate actions, and you only get one of those a round, so no. Jeanette gives a spirited attempt to slice her own arm off, but fortunately is still standing. Because you're a wussy mage and can't actually drop her next turn (I think), she's going to press her advantage.

Move action to C19, swing.
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Done, afterwards.

stats:Position: C19
HP: 3/9

Talic
2008-02-25, 05:18 AM
Minor problem with that. As I made the last readied action, my initiative count is slightly above yours. It's currently my action, prior to the attack. You're right though. I can't drop you in one action, even with your immediate actions expended until after your next action. Curses on me and my lack of magic missiles. My only shot is hoping for a miracle melee dagger hit while that Elan force shield is down.

Move action: Draw Dagger.
Standard: Throw Dagger Attack [roll0]
If Hit: [roll1]
If threat: [roll2]
If Crit: [roll3]

Now you get your action. I have no prob if you reroll those attacks, as the action was accidentally out of turn.

Stats for refs:

Movement: C20
In hand: Nothing.
Effects: Mage Armor 11/600

Spells:
Lv 0
Sonic Snap x1
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue
Touch of Fatigue

Lv 1
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter
Backbiter

Talic
2008-02-25, 05:21 AM
Yuck!

DC 10 Dex check for crit fumble [roll0]

Double Yuck!

I'm prone in square, and weaponless, it seems. Cruel gods of physical combat, take my life.

chilepepper
2008-02-25, 06:15 AM
ref chilepepper

First of all, Backbiter. Only magic weapons get a save. I would assume Jeanette should get those PP back, ask for a high ref if you two can't agree.

Secondly, critical fumble. Unless I missed an Arena house rule, there's no such thing. According to RAW, a natural 1 is always a miss, nothing more, nothing less.

Talic
2008-02-25, 07:15 AM
ref chilepepper

First of all, Backbiter. Only magic weapons get a save. I would assume Jeanette should get those PP back, ask for a high ref if you two can't agree.

Secondly, critical fumble. Unless I missed an Arena house rule, there's no such thing. According to RAW, a natural 1 is always a miss, nothing more, nothing less.

Incorrect. Per the listing for backbiter, attended weapons get a save at their owner's save bonus. If this were not true, I'd argue that the spell be banned immediately. You should be able to verify this; otherwise, I'd like a High Ref to do so.

You cast this spell on any melee weapon. The next time that weapon is used to make a melee attack, its shaft twists around so that the weapon strikes the wielder instead. The weapon hits automatically, and no attack roll is made.
The wielder gets no warning or knowledge of the spell’s effect on his weapon, and although he makes the attack, the self-dealt damage can’t be consciously reduced (though damage reduction applies) or changed to nonlethal damage. Once the weapon attacks its wielder (whether successfully or not), the spell is discharged.
Magic weapons targeted by this spell receive a Will save. An item in a creature’s possession uses its own Will save bonus or its wielder’s bonus,
whichever is higher.
Focus: A dagger.

Edit: if no fumble, then I'm standing.

Edit Edit: if ruled no save, I'd like to reverse play to the hit in question, as my opponent will more than likely want to use PP to soak damage, and current HP were the main factor in my dagger throw.

Edit Edit Edit: For refs:
Where'd my dagger land? I may want that back.

Fishy
2008-02-25, 09:45 AM
I am very confused, so I'm going to wait for a ref to explain what actually happened.

Mavian
2008-02-25, 10:12 AM
High Ref Mav:

1)All weapons get a save with backbiter, Magical weapons simply get to use there own saving throw.

2)Throw weapons that miss end up in the square of the target they were thrown at.

3)There are no such thing as crit fumbles.

Talic
2008-02-25, 10:25 AM
Fishy, when I backbiter'd you as a readied action, that gave me the next action (I interrupted your attack on your turn, and my initiative becomes set to yours, acting just before).

I then threw my dagger at you (you were at 3 life, if my math is right, and without immediate actions), missing, and rolled a crit fumble that I shouldn't have.

Current state is that I'm 10 feet away from you, weaponless, your turn.

Per mavian's ruling, Chile's post was in error (weapons do get saves vs backbiter), so everything in our play was correct (with the exception of your last attack). It's your action. You're slightly too close to charge, but then, I attacked last action, so I have no readied actions.

That is, assuming you're amenable to that interpretation. If not, we can wait for someone else to give you the information.

EDIT: If you do need more information from refs, please post a request in the waiting room for it. I can tell ya a ref job has a lot of tracking info down. Waiting in here for it means we'll wait a while.

chilepepper
2008-02-25, 06:16 PM
ref chilepepper

Okay, the order of what happened is this.

in round 9, Jeanette readied an action.

Round 10
JSB - readies an action, but does nothing else
-that triggered Jeanette's ready and she picked up her weapon
Jeanette - charged and attacked
-that triggered JSB's ready and he stepped back and cast backbiter
-Jeanette uses an immediate action to boost her save, fails, and hit's
herself with the charge attack
Round 11
JSB - draws and throws dagger, missing horribly

Now it's Jeanette's turn in the bottom of round 11, she is in C18 and JSB is in C20 empty handed.

(As for the thing about readied actions and moving initiative, it doesn't have any actual bearing when there's only two initiatives. Taking a readied action moves your init to right before whatever triggered it. Since you already are right before your opponent, nothing actually changes.)

Talic
2008-02-25, 11:10 PM
ref chilepepper

Okay, the order of what happened is this.

in round 9, Jeanette readied an action.

Round 10
JSB - readies an action, but does nothing else
-that triggered Jeanette's ready and she picked up her weapon
Jeanette - charged and attacked
-that triggered JSB's ready and he stepped back and cast backbiter
-Jeanette uses an immediate action to boost her save, fails, and hit's
herself with the charge attack
Round 11
JSB - draws and throws dagger, missing horribly

Now it's Jeanette's turn in the bottom of round 11, she is in C18 and JSB is in C20 empty handed.

(As for the thing about readied actions and moving initiative, it doesn't have any actual bearing when there's only two initiatives. Taking a readied action moves your init to right before whatever triggered it. Since you already are right before your opponent, nothing actually changes.)

I prefer noting it by that term for clarity, especially when an issue comes up before concerning it. That way, if anyone later goes into a fight with more than 2 opponents (Free for all, for instance, or a person with an animal companion), then it will matter.

Fishy
2008-02-26, 10:21 AM
Ah, I see what happened: I mistook JSB's readied action for his actual turn. Sorry about that.

Once again, move to C19, hit with sickle.

Stats: Position: C19

Talic
2008-02-26, 11:17 AM
Ooooh, I'm staggered. Well, now that makes this hard. Readying an action will knock me out. I gotta hope for two minor miracles here, for even a good showing.

Free action: 5 foot step to D19.
Move action: Pick up dagger in adjacent square. (provoke AoO)

Done.

Posting this in the open:

Current HP = 0/5
Current AC = 17 (+3 dex, +4 Mage Armor)
Current Location = D19

Take your AoO, and your normal attack. If both miss, I'm gonna spit in your eye and get knocked out by chucking a dagger at you one last time.

EDIT: DEFIANCE TO THE END!!!!!!
(Oh, and well played)

Fishy
2008-02-26, 11:27 AM
Wait, seriously? I was kind of hoping Jeanette would be put out of her misery.

AoO: [roll0]

Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

stats:Position: C19

... Guess not. Good game, better luck in the future for you!

Mavian
2008-02-26, 01:24 PM
High Ref Mav: This is something I most likey won't screw up

Jeanette wins and receives the prizes previously mentioned.