PDA

View Full Version : Celia: The Adventurer

Parakirby
2008-02-20, 09:05 AM
While it's fairly obvious that either Haley will go alone with Celia (and Roy, but at best he's a meatshield (literally)) or bring a couple of friends with them, it's also fairly obvious that Haley is not meant for adventuring alone. Sure, she controls the first few rounds of combat (if all goes according to plan), but after that she's merely flesh in a leather sack waiting to be skewered by a level-appropriate monster.

We've seen that Celia has natural magical abilities, and she might be motivated by the loss of her boyfriend, long-distant as they may be. Plus the guilt from giving him an unbreakable talisman might give her further motivation to help save Roy.

Besides, do we really want her standing near the back whining at Haley for at least half a dozen comics?

theinsulabot
2008-02-20, 09:23 AM
wait...what?

Castamir
2008-02-20, 09:36 AM
Belkar. He's more durable than Haley, and can do quite a bit of melee, even if his daggers do crappy damage.

So... you got a skill monkey/damage dealer, meatshield, an arcane caster... The only thing they need is a healer. Get Belkar a +WIS item, or recruit one of resistance clerics, and you got enough to heal after battle. Divine casters may be kick-ass, but for adventuring you don't need that much healing power...

Niknokitueu
2008-02-20, 09:50 AM
...but for adventuring you don't need that much healing power...
?
Having played clerics in two recent campaigns, I found my healing abilities to be most heavily called upon whilst adventuring.

GM: You are sitting in a pub when... you take 56 points of damage...
Player: What? why?
GM: Because if you don't need much healing power whilst adventuring, you obviously will need it more when relaxing between adventures.
Player: Wow, that is some baad ale.

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

Woof
2008-02-20, 10:02 AM
Uh... I'm confused. Was there a question? Or a specific topic you were talking about?

bluewind95
2008-02-20, 11:03 AM
Am I correct in assuming that the original poster was asking what the good and bad points of Celia adventuring with part of the OotS is? That's about as far as I got in understanding the original post, with no offense to the original poster (words have an amazing tendency to make perfect sense in one's head and not so much in other people's heads, after all).

Edit: I think that changing the last "Besides" to "But" makes more sense. Maybe that's what was meant?

Barbolanero
2008-02-20, 11:06 AM
I think, but don't really know, that the question may be "will Celia join the party?". There are a lot of posibilities, maybe just until they res Roy (pretty much since she seems to have taken his witty lines type for the time being), or maybe she will join for a time, but left later, since it seems that since the Dungeon of Dorukan, there has always been an extra character around (which could be kind of a story arc indicator), so, that's what I think the question, and some of the naswers might be.

Parakirby
2008-02-20, 11:33 AM
I meant, is it feasable that Celia could be part of the 'adventuring group' with Haley and co.?

factotum
2008-02-20, 11:49 AM
Seems to me it doesn't matter how feasible it is, it's going to happen!

Green and Red
2008-02-20, 12:07 PM
Do we have any information what level/HD celia has? I mean we know she casts sorcerer spells with her HD as level, but has she ever stated how strong she was? I mean she has sugested charming, which might mean she has at least third level spells, we know she has some natural lightning powers, propably proffesion(lawyer) or knowlegde(law), but do we know anything else?

Mad Scientist
2008-02-20, 01:27 PM
Hmm. I think it would be interesting if Celia joined the group. At least until the oots meets up again. Maybe she will go adventuring with Kizumi and Daigo? Or become Hinjo's legal adviser?

Surfing HalfOrc
2008-02-20, 01:51 PM
Most adventuring parties need four basic "Types:" Meatshield, Offensive Magic, Defensive/Healing Magic, and Skill Monkey/Generalist.

Right now the "At Sea" Team has that, Hinjo, Vaarsuvius, Durkon and Elan.

The "On Land" Team has Belkar, Celia and Haley, meaning they are weak in the healing department, but have everything else. If Celia doesn't join up, then they will only have a Rogue and Fighter, which isn't really enough for D&D type adventuring.

The six member Order of the Stick had just about everything they needed, with a certian amount of redundancy for safety. As they are now, they are spread very thin, and Haley's team is just a bit too thin. A team of heroes probably won't be able to move an army out of an enrenched positon, but they might be able to come up with something to draw Xykon, Redcloak and the hobbos out of the city.

The specifics are way too hard to guess, but I have a feeling that once Redcloak either finds a clue possibly left behind by Shojo (although Shojo was probably too canny to leave extensive notes on either Girard's Gate or Kraagor's Gate sitting in the library, or on his night stand), or once the hobbos simply consume all the supplies left in the city, Team Evil will be heading down the road.

Mordokai
2008-02-20, 02:19 PM
Rich has already proven that he doesn't care for what is the strongest possible option. As such, I see no problem in Celia joining OOTS. Sure, she won't cover any role(unless she is by weird coincidence a cleric) but she WILL fill the vacuum that is left after Roy. She has shown she can be just as witty and sarcastic as Roy, I bet she has good INT and as such she would make a good replacement for Roy. Minus the whole meat shield thing, of course.

Castamir
2008-02-20, 06:29 PM
?
Having played clerics in two recent campaigns, I found my healing abilities to be most heavily called upon whilst adventuring.

GM: Because if you don't need much healing power whilst adventuring, you obviously will need it more when relaxing between adventures.
It depends if you have a malicious GM. Any other type -- reasonable, carebearish or uncaring, won't penalize you.

I have mostly MUD background -- and that's an equivalent of either "uncaring" (playable MUDs) or "carebearish" (MUDs for socializers) GM. Except for the latter being a bad case of meh, it's up to the -players- to know what they can handle. Without a healer, you can handle less -- but it's quite the case without any other role. A smaller party is less powerful, duh.

In D&D, a 3-man party without a healer is somewhat less powerful than a 3-man party with one, but it's still a lot above 2-man groups.

Against a machine, players will judge their strength and go for power-appropiate encounters. With a live GM, such judging is a task of the GM, the players judge just when to run away or at most how to approach that ogre camp...

And if the GM is both reasonable and inventive, doing a quest without a way to resupply your HP can be a fun thing for a change...

SPoD
2008-02-21, 06:32 AM
Rich has already proven that he doesn't care for what is the strongest possible option. As such, I see no problem in Celia joining OOTS. Sure, she won't cover any role(unless she is by weird coincidence a cleric) but she WILL fill the vacuum that is left after Roy. She has shown she can be just as witty and sarcastic as Roy, I bet she has good INT and as such she would make a good replacement for Roy. Minus the whole meat shield thing, of course.

This.

If Rich wants the party of Celia, Haley, and Belkar to function properly, it will. If he finds it more interesting to have them get their asses kicked, they will. There's no point in speculating on the party's strength, because the author does not need to constrain himself to obeying the logic you might use to arrive at your speculation.

Cruiser1
2008-02-21, 07:07 PM
Celia is a major enough character that she should get her own emoticon for message board posts, like the ones listed here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/misc.php?do=getsmilies&editorid=vB_Editor_001). Come on, Miko has one, and she's apparently not coming back. I want :celia: to map to something cool.

VetMichael
2008-02-21, 07:11 PM
?

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

"It was the Salmon Mousse" :smallbiggrin:

Jayngfet
2008-02-21, 07:42 PM
?

Have Fun!
Niknokitueu

you see this is why any non-dwarf, shouldnt drink dwarven ale without at least 16 constitution

Elrond
2008-02-22, 09:21 PM
It would be awesom if celia was batteling hobgoblins in her pyjamas

Raging_Pacifist
2008-02-24, 08:42 PM
And a little creepy.

David Argall
2008-02-24, 09:07 PM
It would be awesom if celia was batteling hobgoblins in her pyjamas

How would they get in her pyjamas?

factotum
2008-02-25, 07:05 AM
How would they get in her pyjamas?

And why would they want to get in them? (Clean answers only, please :smallwink: ).

pjackson
2008-02-25, 08:09 AM
Do we have any information what level/HD celia has? I mean we know she casts sorcerer spells with her HD as level, but has she ever stated how strong she was? I mean she has sugested charming, which might mean she has at least third level spells, we know she has some natural lightning powers, propably proffesion(lawyer) or knowlegde(law), but do we know anything else?

He lightning powers might be part of her spell casting - an electrical version of burning hands and Prestidigitation would cover everything we have seen.
Charm person is a first level spell, so I don't see why you are suggesting third level.
She can recognize spells so she has spellcraft.
We know she does not have much experience.
My guess is that she is either a standard sylph, or she possibly has one level in expert in addition to her racial HD.